mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Giant Trance 2 or XTC hardtail?

Ok, so wondering if I can get some help here...

Im currently riding a '06 Giant Yukon. Fun, but can barely keep up with a friends light bike. I rode his and got gittery, loved it..things a rocket (GF Mt Tam). So im up for an upgrade. Local trails are XC, but we do come across some fairly heavy tech trails. So I would love a FS bike, but I would prefer a bike that can ride fast and climb.

So I got a possible deal on a 2006 Giant Trance 2 for $1k. While the bike is pretty nice nd would work for those techy trails, but am I stuck chugging along XC roads and climbs (compared to a '06 Yukon?) or should I just stick with an XTC hardtail?

Would you say a Stock Trance 2 is faster, better on climbs, than a Stock Yukon?

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by luisdan; 07-19-2008 at 10:32 AM.

May contain nuts
    Get a Trance. XTC is nice for smooth trails, but tiring on anything rougher. (Then there is the lack of braking traction, climbing traction....). I see no reason to ride a hardtail these days, other than commuting.

I AM I AM
    Would you say a Stock Trance 2 is faster, better on climbs, than a Stock Yukon?
    Yes, I reckon the trance would be lighter than a stock youkon for starters (I'm thinking Aussie models though so could be wrong? - compare the spec level anyway). The trance will climb as well as the yukon particularly if you stay seated. And if you're climbing over rough terrain then having rear suspension can be an advantage there too.

If you're in it for fun, then go for the trance. If you want speed and not comfort and you like to always push it then go for the XTC. Actually my advice would be to keep your Yukon if possible, just for those times you need a HT fix, then you will have the best of both worlds.

I had a Trance, but when my riding started to diversify more I went towards an all round HT kind of thing (STP for it's size and geometry to suit my needs). I could have kept the trance but I figured it would probably not get used much once I got the STP, and besides I hate the maintenance and cleaning associated with such a dually ( well the maintenance was ok but the washing - yeah heap more nooks and crannies to wash - something to consider if don't like doing it). Thanks to parts donated by the trance I also have an upgraded Giant Alias (model above the yukon here) it's supposed to be my husbands but he doesn't ride.

I'm pretty sure the trance will have a larger wheel base compared to the XTC, so it won't be as nimble in it's handling around corners, like you are probably used to with the yukon.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Is that US dollars? You can get a brand new 08 Trance 2 for 1k.

http://bicyclewarehouse.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=8649

I AM I AM
    Don't forget they changed the numbering system since '06 - so my Trance 3 would have been equivalent to a '07 or '08 Trance 2.

As a result the '06 Trance 2 is spec and price equivalent to '07 or '08 Trance 1
    Last edited by ducktape; 07-20-2008 at 11:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I just got my 06 NOS XTC, setup with X7 and RS Recon, Raceface XC.

I have to say, its a sweet sweet bike. It feels like air at around 26 pounds. I do smooth stuff and XC, with tons of climbing, so this is perfect. The V-brakes actually feel nice too.