mtbr member

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2014

Hi I'm Greg,
    I am recently getting more and more into trail biking, have looked into a few bikes now and have settled on the Giant Trance 2 after speaking to some helpful bike shop staff and a quick 20 minute blast on the bike, could anyone let me know if this is a good choice, link to bike specs attached, thanks.

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2 (2014) | Giant bikes UK & Ireland official website | UK / Ireland
    Keen cyclist of many types, recently becoming more and more serious towards trail biking!

mtbr member

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2014

That's an awesome bike, just swap out a pike and you are all good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daxdagr8t View Post
    That's an awesome bike, just swap out a pike and you are all good.
    Glad to know someone else believes this is an awesome bike!
    Couldn't agree more with the pike, have seen/heard tonnes of positive feedback on this particular fork!
    Keen cyclist of many types, recently becoming more and more serious towards trail biking!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ibbotson View Post
    Hi I'm Greg,
    I am recently getting more and more into trail biking, have looked into a few bikes now and have settled on the Giant Trance 2 after speaking to some helpful bike shop staff and a quick 20 minute blast on the bike, could anyone let me know if this is a good choice, link to bike specs attached, thanks.

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2 (2014) | Giant bikes UK & Ireland official website | UK / Ireland

i have the trance 27.5 1 and really dig it. the od2 thing is the only drawback. will eventually get a pike and change all the od2 stuff out. otherwise, its an exceptional trail bike that climbs and descends equally well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nexttozen View Post
    i have the trance 27.5 1 and really dig it. the od2 thing is the only drawback. will eventually get a pike and change all the od2 stuff out. otherwise, its an exceptional trail bike that climbs and descends equally well.
    I was also looking at the Trance 27.5 1, my main preference between 1&2 is the Matt Black finish on the Trance 2! I don't know a great deal about the od2 thing, could you elaborate? Agreed with the pike again, I expect I will change that at some point also.
    Thanks for the feedback, this all inches me closer to buying it!

mtbr member
    OD2 seems to be on the way out. The 2015 Giants are listed with OverDrive steerer tube instead of OverDrive 2, which is how they listed their 2014 models. OD2 is just a different size than the rest of the industry, which makes the number of compatible stems much smaller.

Also, I'm no authority, but I think you'll spend much less if you find a bike that comes with the parts you want (re: Pike) vs adding them after market. Or start used and build up from there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have the trance 2 and have mixed feelings (although i always love it when i ride it lol). The trance in general has no specific strengths, but does everything well. The real question is why are you leaning to an enduro bike as opposed to an XC?

The trance actually doesn't have enough travel to be a true enduro bike (not winning any WCC downhill events on this one) but it has enduro geometry so it doesn't steer as well as an XC bike. The geometry makes it super stable through rock gardens and down technical stuff though.

It all comes down to the terrain you're riding. Most of the good single track near me is fairly wide open with big rock gardens, roots and small jumps. I also have lift access 2 hours away that i will only visit occasionally and dont expect to be able to carry a ton of pace through. For me the trance is perfect, it doesn't make me any faster than the XC guys but i get less beat up and am more confident in the rough downhill bits.

However if your trails are more flat and windy than treacherous and steep look at an XC bike. Less travel makes for better climbing and they have geometry that gives quicker steering as well.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    OD2 seems to be on the way out. The 2015 Giants are listed with OverDrive steerer tube instead of OverDrive 2, which is how they listed their 2014 models. OD2 is just a different size than the rest of the industry, which makes the number of compatible stems much smaller.

Also, I'm no authority, but I think you'll spend much less if you find a bike that comes with the parts you want (re: Pike) vs adding them after market. Or start used and build up from there.
    Oh right I see.

I was considering doing exactly that but I figured that I'd spend less on the bike at first and just upgrade parts in the future when required, just in case for some bazar reason I don't enjoy this style of biking as much as I believe I will (which I highly doubt!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFoe View Post
    I have the trance 2 and have mixed feelings (although i always love it when i ride it lol). The trance in general has no specific strengths, but does everything well. The real question is why are you leaning to an enduro bike as opposed to an XC?

The trance actually doesn't have enough travel to be a true enduro bike (not winning any WCC downhill events on this one) but it has enduro geometry so it doesn't steer as well as an XC bike. The geometry makes it super stable through rock gardens and down technical stuff though.

It all comes down to the terrain you're riding. Most of the good single track near me is fairly wide open with big rock gardens, roots and small jumps. I also have lift access 2 hours away that i will only visit occasionally and dont expect to be able to carry a ton of pace through. For me the trance is perfect, it doesn't make me any faster than the XC guys but i get less beat up and am more confident in the rough downhill bits.

However if your trails are more flat and windy than treacherous and steep look at an XC bike. Less travel makes for better climbing and they have geometry that gives quicker steering as well.

Hope that helps.
    Well thank you very much for your in depth comment, much appreciated! Especially coming from a Trance 2 owner!

I completely understand what you're saying but I believe that it is this bikes ability to do everything well that I admire, I think it will be quite some time before I am entering any races to do with cycling so this bike should do the job just right for me.
    The trails I would like to be riding are in the Afan Forest and other places located in Wales, United Kingdom, I believe these trails are in-between "rock gardens and down technical stuff" "roots and small jumps" and "more flat and windy than treacherous and steep" (bit of everything really)

With this in mind, do you believe I am making a good decision?

Thanks, Greg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    It's tough to say. When i try to chase my buddy whos on a race geometry xc bike through tight mostly flat single track i wish i was on a different bike. In the next few weeks i'm going to do some lift access stuff and will probably curse my bike for not having the travel of a real enduro. It does everything in between well though.

Curious what has you looking at a trance instead of the anthem? That might answer a lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    just checked out some video of the afan area and yeah i think you'd be super happy on the trance. A lot of it seems flat ish which is maybe more xc oriented but a trail like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0R2sOUFLw0) is where the trance will shine while still giving you enough pedaling efficiency.

I've been super happy with all of the kit on the bike except for the shock, it's kind of piddly. After you ride for a while i'd be expecting to dump a few hundred pounds into something with an external reservoir, which you cant get in any of the aluminum trance models anyway.

mtbr member
    It's tough to say. When i try to chase my buddy whos on a race geometry xc bike through tight mostly flat single track i wish i was on a different bike. In the next few weeks i'm going to do some lift access stuff and will probably curse my bike for not having the travel of a real enduro. It does everything in between well though.

Curious what has you looking at a trance instead of the anthem? That might answer a lot.
    I did look at the Anthem, I was put off by the fact that it only had 100mm travel though, I figured about 130+ would be good on the trails I want to go on, I believe that's what some of the people I ride with go by as well, not sure if this is a definite requirement? Other than that, when I was at my LBS I had a blast on the Trance and the Anthem and personally preferred the feel of the Trance, I also believe its a better looking bike!

Do let me know how you get on with your lift access stuff though if you don't mind/remember?

mtbr member
    just checked out some video of the afan area and yeah i think you'd be super happy on the trance. A lot of it seems flat ish which is maybe more xc oriented but a trail like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0R2sOUFLw0) is where the trance will shine while still giving you enough pedaling efficiency.

I've been super happy with all of the kit on the bike except for the shock, it's kind of piddly. After you ride for a while i'd be expecting to dump a few hundred pounds into something with an external reservoir, which you cant get in any of the aluminum trance models anyway.
    Oh well it's good to hear you believe I'll be happy with the bike!
    Oh right yeah agreed there, that trail looks impressive, think I will gain some experience and maybe do my own video one day lol

I see, sounds like you'll be looking for a new bike or a frame upgrade in the future then? I'm guessing you cant install an external reservoir shock on the Ali Trance at all?
    This is my Cousins YT if you liked the look of Afan Forest he lives in Wales and is in a club that hits the trails in that area, hoping to join them when I'm up to scratch! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6w...i9jvQi4yg31cFw

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Realistically i'm either going to stay with what i've got, or i need to buy two bikes. Take what i say with a grain of salt, i'm a brand new rider but am basically in the position where you would be thirty rides after buying a trance and can give my perspective.

Yes you can put an external reservoir air shock on the trance but i already have people on pinkbike.com telling me the fork is a much weaker point than the shock.

In retrospect this is probably the bike i wish i'd bought, but it's not as pretty soo lol
    DEVINCI
    Last edited by FriendlyFoe; 1 Week Ago at 06:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Realistically i'm either going to stay with what i've got, or i need to buy two bikes. Take what i say with a grain of salt, i'm a brand new rider but am basically in the position where you would be thirty rides after buying a trance and can give my perspective.

Yes you can put an external reservoir air shock on the trance but i already have people on pinkbike.com telling me the fork is a much weaker point than the shock.

In retrospect this is probably the bike i wish i'd bought, but it's not as pretty soo lol
    DEVINCI
    Oh right I see. Well in comparison with me who's just about to get going with a few attempts at it on a Hardtail previously you're a pro lol! It's definitely good to hear all this feedback from you now I suppose, saves the 'shock' in the future.

Yes I've also heard that the fork isn't the best, but will do it's job well enough to begin with. I suppose if you were to start changing all these sort of components then you may as well just buy a second 'more serious' bike perhaps..

Oh well that is still a good looker, just let down by the 'in your face' bright detailing lol, definitely sounds the part though!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yeah that's the one downside to the trance lineup, if it came with a 34mm fork you really wouldn't need to touch anything. As soon as you're looking at dumping 1000 dollars into a new piece it almost becomes worth just selling the bike and buying one with better kit on it.

For what it's worth you might want to take a look at the specialized Enduro 29er. I've never ridden one but every review touts how it steers like a 26er and can go up/down with the best Enduro bikes out there.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've got this bike and I love it, although I hate the forks that came stock, needs a pike pronto before I go back to any gnarly stuff. Currently been using it for XC to get to work and back. When I go to trail centers and do some downhill on it the forks are the only thing that isn't good about the bike.

I have been tempted for a 2015 reign but I've heard they're hard work and I'm happy on my Trance TBH. Great bike, don't think you'd be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Yeah that's the one downside to the trance lineup, if it came with a 34mm fork you really wouldn't need to touch anything. As soon as you're looking at dumping 1000 dollars into a new piece it almost becomes worth just selling the bike and buying one with better kit on it.

For what it's worth you might want to take a look at the specialized Enduro 29er. I've never ridden one but every review touts how it steers like a 26er and can go up/down with the best Enduro bikes out there.
    Yeah that's true, I suppose it will be alright to begin with and in the future maybe look into upgrading bikes.. As it's my first full suss bike and I'm just getting into trail biking I believe it'll do the job

Oh right, I haven't actually looked at the Enduro before, I have looked at the Stumpy and the Camber though, but was then told that Specialized bikes are great but you do pay a fair amount for the name, as it's my first bike I don't mind saving 500 over a manufacturer lol, especially when the Giant has some better spec for the less money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPARTdAN View Post
    I've got this bike and I love it, although I hate the forks that came stock, needs a pike pronto before I go back to any gnarly stuff. Currently been using it for XC to get to work and back. When I go to trail centers and do some downhill on it the forks are the only thing that isn't good about the bike.

I have been tempted for a 2015 reign but I've heard they're hard work and I'm happy on my Trance TBH. Great bike, don't think you'd be disappointed.
    Glad to know that you love the bike and don't think I'll be disappointed! It seems that the Trance definitely has a fork issue, everyone says about upgrading the fork, this is good though, at least I know in advance the bikes weakness!

Thanks for your reply and all the best to you!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I somehow also came to the notion that giant bikes came with better kit for the money, but I think that was because I didn't realize how weak the 32mm fox fork is.

The trance sx and specialized Enduro comp 29er are both around 3500 dollars and come with equal levels of kit.