Thread: Giant Talon 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Giant Talon 2

Ok I am fairly new to the MTB sport and I have already spent hours on end researching for my perfect first real Mount Bike. Of course this was after I trashed 2 department store bikes within a week times radius lol. Here is my new partner who is going to help me get healthier ,faster, and all around just a feel good about myself attitude introducing my Talon 2 !!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Talon 2-imag0235.jpg  

Giant Talon 2-imag0237.jpg  

Giant Talon 2-imag0236.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ive seen a post or two already about upgrades but in all honesty I just end up a bit more confused than when I first starting to research.
    If I am not mistaken I can only get
    a 9mm/15mm thru axle
    non tapared steer tube considering it has not been cut to short yet
    and I should go for either a Reba or Fox solo or dual air fork.
    Farming Ebay for decently priced forks has my head spinning lol
    As for hydro brakes since I live in the DFW metroplex I am not sure if the trails around would consider some of these upgrades as a bit of overkill. Thanks for any help in advance.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the new ride! I'm sure it will last you for a while. I'm in McKinney and have biked many of the trails north of Dallas and I would suggest that you ride a few trails around and get a feel for the Talon before upgrading the fork and or brakes. In the DFW area what I am finding is that a good set of rims and especially tires are the first thing to upgrade. The soil and terrain very greatly from trail to trail here and I prefer a good tire. I ran v-breaks on my last bike that I rode many of the trails around here and I just recently upgraded to 29er and had hydros installed. As for mechanical or hydros... Any bike shop around here will tell you that it is all personal preference. There are pros and cons to both. If it were me I would hold off on upgrades for a little while.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the new rig, there are plenty of threads discussing the Talon but if you already have upgradeditis one of the first things to change is the fork for sure, look for a non tapered 15mm axle fork; choices are limited and can get really expensive.

My suggestion will be to ride the heck out of it and upgrade as components wear down or break, the wheels are on the heavy side but can take a good beating, tires are a personal thing just like the cockpit.

Feel free to ask, plenty of Talon owners here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Oh I plan to ruin my components before i upgrade them lol . I was just looking for advice that would lead me in the right direction. I love the fact that DFW have so many trails ...seriously its saturated which made MTB easy to fall in love with. I am personally in love with the OCNP in Dallas. It has a little of everything and has been a great training experience. I thought the fork would be the first to go but who knows what actually would wear out. I did eye ball some new tires though, these small blocks have small teeth for biting and i figured i could get some Kenda Navegals fairly inexpensive. It would help with some climbing, keep in mind there aren't any mountains around here that would require a much higher standard.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hey hey Mckinney not to far from where Im staying. Any chance there is a schedule posted anywhere online where people gather and ride trails in groups around here?

mtbr member
    I am not sure of any schedules online for group rides. Me and my buddy usually try and make it out to Erwin park every Saturday. I am working on going Mondays and Wednesdays in the morning your welcome to join us I am not fast... At least not on that trail. I will be out there tomorrow about 8:30am if you want to come and check it out.
    Last edited by VuDoo11; 06-15-2012 at 07:44 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nice looking bike! I ride a 2011 Talon 1 and love it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am doing some homework on replacement forks at the moment. Anyone know of a decent one from 200-350 range?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Debating over one of two forks at the moment. Either http://www.amazon.com/X-Fusion-Slide...C/ref=cm_wl_ce or or even this one RockShox 29er Silver Recon TK Solo Fork 2012 at Price Point

mtbr member
    I really like the recon....I was looking at that one for myself as well. The X-fusion is nice cause it has a remote lock out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosway View Post
    If your hub is 15mm none will work but by looking at the pics your looks like it came with a 9mm hub, interesting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ok, so I talked to a LBS and hes offered to sell me a XTC 29r front wheel 15mm thru axle replacement . Sounds like a good idea,I mean its a decent wheel and keeps the Giant vibe flowing. He also offered a matching Reba with it for another 400. Anyways it looks like this might dig deeper into my pockets than anticipated but seeing its an upgrade in both wheel and shocks for a long haul I feel it might be worth every penny. I definitely think ill feel a difference.