mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Giant SX 2013 for AM?

Hi everyone. I already have a Trek Fuel Ex 7 (that is a really great bike) but I am planning to buy another bike for more aggressive AM riding and I found a good deal on a 2013 Reign SX. Ideally I would prefer a Reign X but only a SX is available.

Do you have any experience with it? I obviously plan to make some changes (1x10 or 2x10 instead of 1x9, better brakes, a dropper post etc that I already have) so the bike will pedal uphill better and behave more like an aggressive AM but anyway since I already suck on uphill but enjoy the downhill I don't mind that much.

What I want to know is whether this bicycle could be the alter ego of my Fuel and still be able to be used as a do it all bicycle that I can even go XC if needed but will mainly focus on AM and downhill?

May contain nuts
    SX has coil shock and fork so it won't ever feel XC... it's really a mini DH bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I have the reign sx bike, which has a domain r front and kage r rearshock. All the change i made is relplace the break with a Shimano Zee. Currently the bike climb ok, though if it becomes too steep a 11-28t cassette may be not enough.
    It is a do it all bike, but with all the coil parts it may be a little too heavy for xc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thank you guys. I have my Fuel for pure XC so the Reign SX would be my more aggressive AM bicycle.

Just another question. I am 6 feet (1.83 cm) and the only available is a Medium. I was trying to find out a size chart but it was impossible. Based on the current geometry and measurements of my Fuel and compared with the Reign SX one it seems that I need a large. For example my Fuel effective toptube is around 61cm similar to the Large SX while the Medium is 59cm. However in Fuel there is also an XL while in the SX the maximum is the L.

Tomorrow I will visit my LBS to try the SX but I wanted to hear what you think since I might be overexcited and make the wrong choice.

May contain nuts
    Might be too late, but I'd give it a miss. I'm 5'10" and only just fit a medium. Could really do with another 20mm of TT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thank you for the reply.

I have tried the SX in M and actually it fits just right even with the stock 50mm stem. I suppose that it has to do something with the different geometry of the frame vs. my Fuel but I was feeling comfortable and I also checked the "knee over pedal" rule and it applies. Also I usually use a 78mm riser bar that widens my riding position but even with the stock 74 one I was OK. Of course my riding position was more AM rather than XC but I suppose this is also the purpose of the bike.

Anyway long story short I bought it but haven't really ridden it yet since I plan to change the 1x9 to a 2x10 and also put my existing XT brakes from the Fuel on it.

Most probably it will be ready for a weekend test and to be honest I really look forward to ridding it since I never had such a long travel bike with a coil fork and shock so I hope that I won't be disappointed. But even if this is the case I can be in peace of mind since I was always wanting one and now I got it. So better to regret for something I did rather than something I didn't.

But lets hope that I will be bappy with it!

May contain nuts
    Good for you, hope it works out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thank you. I will post some pics once it is ready.

Now regarding the size maybe it has to do something with my inseam 83-84 which is rather average (or even below average) for my height (182-3).

Anyway fingers crossed that everything will be OK.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Here it is!

Giant SX 2013 for AM?-img_20140111_134618.jpg

mtbr member

Awesome ride!

Man, that is one sexy bike. I love that year model's frame! So sick!

I'm on a size M 2012 Reign X1. I'm 6'3" and around 210lbs. I had doubts at first about the sizing, but the smaller frame feels SO MUCH better when in the air and blasting DH. My buddy has a Large frame and it does feel slightly more comfortable if I never came out of the saddle. It goes back to that preference of feeling that you're ON a bike or "IN" the bike. I prefer to be "ON" one that I can throw around however I want. With the smaller frame my lower back will sometimes hurt if I sit and spin for hours, but that has seemed better over time.

Full disclosure- I initially sold the Reign X to my dad after 2 months of aggressive riding and bought a Faith because the RX just couldn't handle what I wanted to do. Now, 2 years later, I have it back. It feels great now that I'm not treating like a FR/DH bike.

I ride super hard and have seriously considered a coil shock because the DHX Air just doesn't perform well on extended rough DH. I think this has a lot to do with the shock tune for the anticipated weight of a rider choosing a M frame... and also that the suspension design puts MASSIVE force on the shock compared to other designs (so Fox said after issues with my shock performing like crap). If you haven't already, find a spring rate/coil strength calculator and find the appropriate strength coil for your ride. I don't know how much you weigh, but I'm willing to bet you need a stronger coil.

IMO, there will always be better and lighter AM bikes, but the Reign X is perfect for guys like you and me who want a bike that can climb when needed, but one that really shines on jumps and on the way back down at full speed. My dad actually rode this bike at Angel Fire Bike Park. It worked pretty well for him until he endo'd off a boulder and cracked his helmet on a rock!

Now that the bike is mine again, here's my dream for my Reign X- a build I think would suite what you're looking for to actually obtain the "light freeride" AM billing Giant gave:

Dropper post is mandatory- the Giant offering is still working for me (with a few minor maintenance issues over two years to keep it in perfect shape).

New saddle- the Fizik saddle that came with mine assaulted me for too long. I would be sore for days. Maybe you like it, but I'd recommend something more comfortable for the climbs up to your favorite DH trailhead.

1x11 drivetrain. I have 2x10 and there haven't been many issues. The granny gear comes in handy when hauling a heavier bike uphill, but the weight loss and improved fitness of 1x11 would be worth it.

Wider bar- I hated the Giant bar. Swapped for a Race Face Atlas 20mm riser. I'm running it stock 785mm which feels good going downhill, but I'm considering wrapping between the brakes and stem to grab on long climbs.

AIR suspension. Air shocks have come a long way and weight savings is worth it.
    Shock- I'm interested to try the Cane Creek DB air shock. I'm pretty sure they have one specifically designed for the Reign X. To keep things uniform, I'll look into a Fox CTD shock like what is on the Advanced Trance SX.
    Fork- The Fox TALAS 160mm CTD with 140mm lockout feels amazing on the aluminum Trance SX I demo'd. I want to upgrade my stupid Float to that. I mean, we want a do it all fun machine, right?

Tubeless? I'm planning on doing this in the next few weeks. I've run the stock Minions with DH casing tubes and have experienced very few flats, but tubeless would save some weight and might perform better.

Brakes- the X7s are ok. They get the job done. I much prefer the X9s that came stock on my Faith. As I switch to Saints on that bike, I'll put those on the RX and change the rear rotor to 180mm to match the front.

Wheelset- this could be a super expensive upgrade that I would consider the finishing touch. The Giant rims have held up mostly well, although last summer I bent and creased the rear rim. Luckily, some vice grips and a block of wood pulled it back to form (not sure what strength was compromised though). There are stronger and lighter wheelsets out there, but, come on, the prices are astronomical.

My Reign X is mostly stock- air shocks and 2x10 drivetrain. The only changes I've made is the Atlas Bar, a WTB Pure V saddle, and stock pedals from my Faith. It weighs 31-32 lbs. It exactly weighed something like 32.17 lbs. when it was first assembled stock. My goal is to get that as close to 30 lbs. as I can without sacrificing strength.

Anyway, I'm totally jealous of your frame! I've you ever want to swap for the more subdued black and blue 2012 X1 Medium frame, hit me up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I am really happy to see that are more people enjoying this fantastic bike.

Since my previous post I have completed the following upgrades.

1. RS Reverb
    2. Fulcrum Red Zones from my previous bike
    3. Bontrager XR4 team issue tubeless
    4. 24t instead of 26t granny ring so I can handle uphills better (the 2x10 remained for now)
    5. Shimano Icetech rotors instead of the stock Avid
    6. Mush guards installed
    7. Fizik Gobby
    8. New harder rear coil
    9. 780mm riser bar (maybe I mentioned this already in the previous post)

I also want to add a 2x chain guide with a bash guard in the near future.

Now regarding the fork and shock they are obviously rather simple with only basic settings but I plan to give them some more rides. Coming from air forks and shocks I really enjoy the feeling of coil and also the look in the rear shock. There is obviously a weight penalty but i get the feeling that this extra weight makes the ride more stable. Anyway I will give them more time and if I feel that something is missing I will either switch to more sophisticated coil or air options.

mtbr member
    Word of warning on the chainguide. I've broken the MRP G2 chainguide that came with mine countless times. I'm sick of replacing the stupid plate on the lower guide. The new redesigned versions are apparently much better built, but a guy on a different thread mentioned breaking the new one recently, too.

After issues with MRP guides breaking on both of my bikes, I put an e13 guide on my Faith. It was easy to install and I've had no issues at all. I think the coverage is better, too.

If you find 2x guide that works very well, please let me know. I'm ready to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thank you for the advice. I will let you know.

Enduroist
    Mar 2007
    I gotta put a plug in for the ReignX as an awesome all mountain machine. I am going into my fifth year on a 2010, and it has handled everything I have thrown on it, from long days of alpine riding in Park City and Breckenridge, to burly descents in Moab and Brian Head UT, to laps in the Canyons and Winter Park bike park. These frames can really do it all.

Mine is just at 30 pounds with an Monarch air shock (much better than the stock DHX air that came on it) 170 mm Lyric air on the front, a smattering of SLX and XY components, and Flow rims on Hope hubs. Typically run burly single ply tires (UST specialized and Maxxis), but will throw on 2 ply tires for Moab and bike park trips.

Keep an eye on the upper shock mount bolt, I have broken one, and replaced mine with a slight bend in it a couple times. Beyond that, it has been trouble free. Love it!

Hope yours treats you as well as mine has.