mtbr member
    May 2004

Giant STP SS Gearing setups

As I wait for my new STP frameset, I need some info on gears. I want a SS but i do not want to run a chain tensioner. I see a few pics of SS STPs with no tensioner. What gears are people running to get correct chain tension? I have a feeling I will need a 1/2 link chain to get the right setup. I would like to run near a 2:1 ratio. What setups are you using or know that work correct with the STP. I prefer to use MTB cranks, I dont like the weight of BMX stuff. Thanks, ~Rj
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad III

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    A friend successfully run a halflink chain without tensioner on his STP - his gearing was 36x18 if I remember correctly.

I also have a SS STP but I run 32x16 with a soulcraft convert tensioner and KMC SS chain. The tension ain't perfect - it keeps getting just a bit slack but other than that - the chain runs fine and does not derail.

I AM I AM
    I just recently converted mine to SS. 32T Race Face DH chainring on the front and 16T cog in the back, kmc kool chain.

When I first tried it out the tension was pretty spot on with a 9spd chain, but because my chainline alignment wasn't spot on and I was testing it out with the cassette still on, the thing derailed into the next cog up and chain stretched ot the wazoo - not to mention it was really hard to get off, so yeah not enough tension after that!
    I ended up getting a DMR SS kit, with the 16T cog, and also got a KMC Kool Chain. It was very tight at first, I helped it stretch a little and now it's pretty firm, there is still room for a bit more stretch.

I also run a race face DH bashie but the chain line has to be really spot on due to the width of the kmc kool chain.