Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Giant STP

DH on a HT

Giant STP

ok a co-worker and I both ride STP's and we were looking for others.....both of ours are 06' my is the normal stp his is the SS .

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    I had no idea Giant were bringing out the STP as a factory SS. Following Specialized and their SS P series by the looks of things.

Here's an early picture of my very confused toy. Not exactly an average STP. (Don’t laugh too hard!!)

This poor machine is currently running flats, dropped the seat, ditched the drink bottle holder, and running 22-16.

It’s been known to travel on long road rides, follow DH machines with way too much travel down the locals, and generally go anywhere where the rider can get his teeth rattled.

Great fun.

Dave.

DH on a HT
    looks good..... I'm a Giant dealer....I was going to get the SS but thought I'd probly be kickin my own @ss later if i did...so i went with the standard one.......

Portland, OR
    I wish I had a STP i'm trying to find a frame, and then i'm going to build it up as a SS (set up for trail and DJ) and maybe a sherman firefly.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

DH on a HT
    i can get you a brand new STP frame set for bout $200

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Is Giant still making the STP with the 2005 colors? I'm not a big fan of the new glossy finish or the camo colors.

DH on a HT
    have you seen the lenosky edition one?

its a gloss but its a nice color not like mine
    Check me out...

Oneal/Azonic, e.13, Hayes, ODI grips, SIXSIXONE

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just saw it and it looks killer. Not sure if I could handle putting together my own bike just yet, i am a real noob.

DH on a HT
    I'll help you out in any way I can with it
    Check me out...

Oneal/Azonic, e.13, Hayes, ODI grips, SIXSIXONE

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

stp

I just got my brand new 2005 STP for 700 complete I LOVE IT so much I just rode it for the first time today and its a dream compared to my last bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That's purty. I'm going to drop by my LBS and see what they can do for me. Maybe they can get a 2005 stp 2 from somewhere.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    yes she is purrrdy I love her to death now to go beat her up today

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by evildan
    That's purty. I'm going to drop by my LBS and see what they can do for me. Maybe they can get a 2005 stp 2 from somewhere.
    If you really go for the cheaper STP2, ask yr LBS to replace the fork. The MZ Comp is a piece of crap, it's designed for entry level XC riding, simply not strong enough for dirt jumping. The wheels, cranks, bars are just as cool as on the STP1, but the fork is really poor.
    I have an STP frame custom built. Pics coming soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So I get up this morning for a nice walk before this huge storm is supposed to hit nyc and decided to head to the lbs. To my surprise I see a 2005 giant stp 2 for sale. Thought about it for a second and then proceeded to get my wallet out It was too pretty to pass up. A couple of questions:

I'm 5'9... When i got on, i felt pretty comfortable but i noticed the frame says 14" inches on it. Is this too small for me? The dealer seemed to think it was fine.

How have you guys faired with longer distances? Aside from jumping off various things i wonder how far I can peddle before my knees crap out.

Thanks,

PS sweetest looking bike ever!

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by evildan
    So I get up this morning for a nice walk before this huge storm is supposed to hit nyc and decided to head to the lbs. To my surprise I see a 2005 giant stp 2 for sale. Thought about it for a second and then proceeded to get my wallet out It was too pretty to pass up. A couple of questions:

I'm 5'9... When i got on, i felt pretty comfortable but i noticed the frame says 14" inches on it. Is this too small for me? The dealer seemed to think it was fine.

How have you guys faired with longer distances? Aside from jumping off various things i wonder how far I can peddle before my knees crap out.

Thanks,

PS sweetest looking bike ever!
    14" is fine. you want a small frame for jumping. I ride a 14" P.1 cr-mo, and i've taken it on 20+ mile rides. and its SS! and whare I live, in way less than a mile you can go from the vally floor to 1000 feet. so lots of hills and stuff .... you'll be fine.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    14" is fine. you want a small frame for jumping. I ride a 14" P.1 cr-mo, and i've taken it on 20+ mile rides. and its SS! and whare I live, in way less than a mile you can go from the vally floor to 1000 feet. so lots of hills and stuff .... you'll be fine.
    Nice! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Dan, the 14" must fit you perfectly. I already went to work with the STP (24 miles to and fro). My seatpost is 400mm long, so I can lift it up to XC riding heights, but then the 74° seat angle positions me so close and over the bars, that just couldn't feel safe and makes me unable to do any tricks like bunny hops, or wheelies. Earlier I had an azonic, and raising up the saddle made the cockpit long and XC-ish, perfect to long rides. So I prefer to leave the seat in a love position on the STP and pedal at grandma speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DraVen
    ok a co-worker and I both ride STP's and we were looking for others.....both of ours are 06' my is the normal stp his is the SS .
    Sorry to resurrect an older thread but was curious how the 06 ss STP is working out for your co-worker. I currently own a prophet for the XC and longer rides but am going to be purchasing something a bit more trials/ urban/dj oriented as well. That is as soon as my 20" stuff is down the road. I have checked out the chase, and p series but am looking to drop less than 800 on this purchase. Any info/pics would be great. Closest Giant dealer is more than a hop skip and jump away so Thank you

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DraVen
    i can get you a brand new STP frame set for bout $200
    DraVen you have PM

mtbr member

Here's mine

Built it up w/ parts from my old Haro and tips guys here in the forum. Rode it around the development & it's awesome! Can't wait to ride in a park...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Anshwa
    Built it up w/ parts from my old Haro and tips guys here in the forum. Rode it around the development & it's awesome! Can't wait to ride in a park...
    whats the specs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro-
    whats the specs?
    STP Regular
    Black Comp 120 (around 3 yrs old?)
    Singletrack rims w/ XT hubs (those always on sale online - lots of flex but still does the job)
    Kenda Kinetics (wire)
    LX rear derailleur
    SRAM 8-spd cassette
    Race Face Evolve FR BB
    Truvativ Hussefelt (took out the granny & the biggest chainring)
    Nashbar bashguard
    ODI Rogue grips
    Hayes MX 2 front brake
    Promax hydro rear
    Pyramid seatpost
    WTB seat
    Cane Creek headset (came w/ the frame)
    Bombshell pedals

Pretty much a set up on a budget

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Anshwa

Thats one purty ride you have there!

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, she's looking good!!

mtbr member
    Thanks! Yeah, I was surprised myself when I got done the other day. Didn't think it was gonna come out nice. Now I need to build up the skills to go with the looks - hehe!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast