mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs

As the tittle says

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfonsoBarraza View Post
    As the tittle says
    Beuller?...
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Anyone..?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    2014 Kona Taro
    2014 Giant Trance
    2015 Gravity Monster
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the boy's)

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle242gt View Post
    Your point? They're looking to get more of a photo/build thread going most likely.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Here's mine...

Upgrades so far:

Stans Wheels
    Koozer hubs
    Forte Platforms

So far so good

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfonsoBarraza View Post
    Here's mine...

Upgrades so far:

Stans Wheels
    Koozer hubs
    Forte Platforms

So far so good
    Hopefully your's is a '16 and has the updated rear triangle since you're hitting jumps? Broken chain stay issues on earlier models kept me from getting one. Ended up with an Anthem 3 which is fine but at times wish I had a little more travel.

mtbr member
    I have a 2015 and no issues. Love it. Added a KS eTEN dropper, shortened the stem with a 40mm and added 40mm riser bars both Truvativ Hussefelt. Adjusted the controls for one finger braking. Swapped out the stock grips with OBI Rouges. And finally just added Shimano Saint MX80 pedals.

As far as the Chainstays breaking, Stance's may have a few more issues then other bikes, but I have seen no stats on this, and Anthem's also have had frame breakage issues, as have many other bikes of all brands. Bottom line is Giant has a life time warranty and replaces broken frames for free, so I'm not worried about it.

And I can find nothing about any change in the triangle for 2016.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by armii View Post
    I have a 2015 and no issues. Love it. Added a KS eTEN dropper, shortened the stem with a 40mm and added 40mm riser bars both Truvativ Hussefelt. Adjusted the controls for one finger braking. Swapped out the stock grips with OBI Rouges. And finally just added Shimano Saint MX80 pedals.

As far as the Chainstays breaking, Stance's may have a few more issues then other bikes, but I have seen no stats on this, and Anthem's also have had frame breakage issues, as have many other bikes of all brands. Bottom line is Giant has a life time warranty and replaces broken frames for free, so I'm not worried about it.

And I can find nothing about any change in the triangle for 2016.
    A specific thread on the issue.There are posts within other Stance threads as well. Not saying the breakage is unusual or limited to Giant (heck a ride buddy has broken a Giant NRS, 3 Turner Sultans and recently a Niner RIP9) but apparently breakage not happening without some carnage to the rider(s). And I believe its the Anthem 29er that has had the frame issues. Giant has great replacement warranty. Mute point I know.

Giant Stance broken chain stay- Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Hopefully your's is a '16 and has the updated rear triangle since you're hitting jumps? Broken chain stay issues on earlier models kept me from getting one. Ended up with an Anthem 3 which is fine but at times wish I had a little more travel.

Nope, it's a '15 model... So far no problems, however I bought this bike to enjoy it, not to be worried about it

mtbr member
    Mods;
    STEM- Promax X4 Riser Stem 100mm 35 degree
    SADDLE- WTB Speed
    PEDALS- WELLGO MG-1
    CASSETTE- Shimano HG400 12x36 9 speed
    CRANKSET- SRAM 30T
    FENDERS- Shockboard
    MUD GUARD- DIY
    CHAIN KEEPER- DIY
    I love this thing. Big improvement from riding a 38 lb 29er the last 4 years. Stem was swapped due to disc issues and seat cause I'm getting old. 3X to 1X mod w/new 12/36 as the old bike prepped me for not needing 3X on this one.

Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-0118161241.jpg
    Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-dscf0838.jpg
    Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-dscf0839.jpg
    Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-dscf0840.jpg
    2015 Giant Stance 2 - 1 X 10 11/42 30T
    2016 Diamondback Insight 2

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by BADDANDY View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0118161241.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	1044265
    Nice setup. Looks like some great forest riding, where's that area?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Nice setup. Looks like some great forest riding, where's that area?
    On my AF base in WA. I have a great workout 11.5 mile loop. Some like this, some pavement, some single track, some steep ups and downs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Any more pics?? More stance owners??

mtbr member
    I'm gonna vent here, so take it with a grain of salt.

I don't think you'll see too many posts as the Stance is towing the line as a somewhat respected bike by the elitist MTBR majority. I've been reading these forums for over 6 years thru 3 bikes, but haven't posted hardly at all until I got my Stance mainly due to how people are treated by them if you don't have a high dollar bike with top spec components and gear. What items that are reviewed in the review section backs this up. Even today on every thread someone gets slammed for doing something different than their norm whether it works or not.
    Luckily a few years ago someone started BIGBOXBIKES.com forum due to this at the time I was looking for my last bike. It was like home.
    The Stance is a trail bike, nothing more, nothing less. But for the price, one of the best there is. Now that I have a bike that's acceptable to them, I will make sure I keep my comments to trail riding/fitness/old age/component modification threads. I'm a cheap bastard, hence the Stance, but I will buy a 1 gram heavier item that costs 1% of the price of the elitist item and know not to tell them that.
    God help the guy who says he did, rides his Stance on jumps/DH/races.............
    I'm glad that you and others got a Stance and started this post as I've been gun-shy due to the above.
    Vent over.

mtbr member
    I'm gonna vent here, so take it with a grain of salt.

I don't think you'll see too many posts as the Stance is towing the line as a somewhat respected bike by the elitist MTBR majority. I've been reading these forums for over 6 years thru 3 bikes, but haven't posted hardly at all until I got my Stance mainly due to how people are treated by them if you don't have a high dollar bike with top spec components and gear. What items that are reviewed in the review section backs this up. Even today on every thread someone gets slammed for doing something different than their norm whether it works or not.
    Luckily a few years ago someone started BIGBOXBIKES.com forum due to this at the time I was looking for my last bike. It was like home.
    The Stance is a trail bike, nothing more, nothing less. But for the price, one of the best there is. Now that I have a bike that's acceptable to them, I will make sure I keep my comments to trail riding/fitness/old age/component modification threads. I'm a cheap bastard, hence the Stance, but I will buy a 1 gram heavier item that costs 1% of the price of the elitist item and know not to tell them that.
    God help the guy who says he did, rides his Stance on jumps/DH/races.............
    I'm glad that you and others got a Stance and started this post as I've been gun-shy due to the above.
    Vent over.
    I will be one of those snobby turds and say big box bikes are crap. Not only is the quality crap many of them are simply unsafe. I wouldn't allow anyone in my family to ride one.

mtbr member
    So do you have a Stance, or are you just here to insult people

mtbr member
    So do you have a Stance, or are you just here to insult people
    Ordered a Trance last week but tested a Stance at my LBS. Not trying to offend anyone, just stating that department store bikes are crap. They are a poor investment, unsafe, lack quality and the revenue from them goes directly to corporate bigwigs and not a bike shop that benefits your local community. If that is insulting then you are hyper-sensitive and need to put some buttsore cream on your rear. I don't care. Just stating my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok... I started this thread for a different reason... let's get back to the topic. No matter what others say... I enjoy my stance, and I can use it as I want (jumps, trail bike, drops...) You don't need to care if the other spent a hundred or thousands of dollars on a bike, the point of MTB is to have fun no matter what bike you have, isn't it?

Happy trails.

mtbr member
    Fair enough, OP!

mtbr member
    I plan to post pics as soon as I remember to take them.

And I love my Stance.. I have a friend with a custom built Specialized FRS, and a Giant Trance. I like the feel and handling of my $1400 Stance better than his $2400 Trance, and actually he said the same thing after riding my Stance. Of course neither bike compares to his $8000 custom build FRS, but I'm not spending that much on a bike.

Well at least not this year .
    Last edited by armii; 01-29-2016 at 05:12 AM.

mtbr member
    The Giant stance reminded me a lot of my Santa Cruz Solo. Short wheelbase, snappy acceleration and just enough suspension for intermediate difficulty trails. Shame they don't offer it in the carbon variety.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just having fun on my local single track

Don't let this thread die Stance owners

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Great pic...makes me wish all this damn snow was gone and I could hit the trials.
    Giant Defy Composite - Road
    Giant Trance 27.5 - Dirt
    Giant TCX Advanced Pro - Both?

mtbr member
    Last weekend

Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-0131161229b.jpg
    Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-0131161231a.jpg

mtbr member
    I like the feel and handling of my $1400 Stance better than his $2400 Trance, and actually he said the same thing after riding my Stance.
    You sure sound like a heretic to me. Withdraw from that sinful thoughts or the fire of the stake shall clean your soul

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I picked up a 2016 Stance 1.0 pretty stoked about it.

mtbr member
    I love mine I will put up pics soon
    2015 Giant Stance 2-1x10
    2013 Trek 3700 Disc-City Cruiser

mtbr member
    I don't know who programmed to put a lock-out front fork on our unworthy Stance 2s, but now that I'm remembering to use it, it's like having a lower tooth count on my chainring on my steep climbs. Kudos.

mtbr member
    Pics of 1x9 30T 12/36 conversion with bling and DIY chain guide. 35mm stem with bling cap and spacer, and 50mm rise Answer 720mm handlebar.
    I'm done unless I go 1x10 30T 11/42.

Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-dscf0843.jpg
    Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-dscf0845.jpg
    Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-dscf0848.jpg

mtbr member
    Pics of 1x9 30T 12/36 conversion with bling and DIY chain guide. 35mm stem with bling cap and spacer, and 50mm rise Answer 720mm handlebar.
    I'm done unless I go 1x10 30T 11/42.
    I went with a 35mm stem and 50mm rise on mine also.. I only went 680mm wide on my bars.

I think optimum setup would be 1x11 with an 11-42 cassette.
    But I think your current 1x9 is pretty sweet.
    I'm running the stock 11-34 I almost never leave the 30 ring, could probably just take the front derailleur off.

mtbr member
    I just ordered 1x10 Deore shifter, SLX RD, Sunrace 11/42, and KMC-10 chain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    My 2016 Giant Stance 2. I got a killer deal on a new take off ten speed drivetrain minus cranks so that has been upgraded along with the seatpost and handlebar.

I am getting ready to replace the grips as I don't care the for ESI's I put on there. For my style of riding the bike is perfect.

Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-20160214_155625%7E2%7E2.jpg

mtbr member
    I installed a 1x10 Deore shifter, SLX RD, Sunrace 11/42, and KMC-10 chain. Test ride will follow if the rains ever stop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dockrey View Post
    I am getting ready to replace the grips as I don't care the for ESI's I put on there. For my style of riding the bike is perfect.
    I went with ODI rouge lock ons, I love them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Race day

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Here's my 2015 Stance 1!
    I believe this picture is from the first ride I took it on. I bought it late last summer and got a decent deal (in my opinion) since the 2016s were on the way. I can't say I've seen too many of this model/color on here.

I added my Shimano M520 pedals and changed the Maxxis tires out for Continental Mountain Kings. It may be "just a trail bike" but fortunately all I do is "just" trail riding, so it works great. (the water bottle and seat bag have since been removed since I now carry an Osprey pack)

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    I will be one of those snobby turds and say big box bikes are crap. Not only is the quality crap many of them are simply unsafe. I wouldn't allow anyone in my family to ride one.
    Interesting video.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Picked up a few weeks ago a couple of Stance 1 bikes. So far really liking these bikes!

Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-photostudio_1458977470226.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    2015 Stance

Giant Contact Switch Dropper Post
    1x11 conversion with:
    XT M8000 11-42 rear cassette
    XT M8000 11 Speed shifter
    XT M8000 Medium cage clutched derailer
    30 Tooth narrow wide ring by One Up
    Stans tubless conversion on rear wheel
    60mm Hussefelet Stem
    Flat Pedals

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Here's my 2015 Stance 1. I have hundreds of miles on this bike in the Phoenix area. Rocks, roots, dust, dirt, and zero issues so far. I think it's perfect for me being a strong beginner on my way to intermediate.

Upgrades:
    20T chainring
    Stan's Crest wheels
    Wellgo flat pedals
    KS dropper seatpost
    grips
    70mm Giant stem
    High Roller II 2.3 front, Ardent 2.25 rear, tubeless
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-stance-ii.jpg  

Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-stance.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Newest pic with new wheels and tires, carbon seatpost and bars, and ten speed drivetrain. Love this bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-18216_1240473785970768_7316346867772430133_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just put a 2015 Stance 2 on layaway (waiting for my CX bike to sell.) I think I got a really good deal on it. I am already looking at upgrades, I can go to 1x10 pretty cheap and easily. Anything else that anyone has found that is a must upgrade on the Stance? I will probably swap out tires immediately and do gorilla tape tubeless (looking at Kenda Honey Badger and Slant Six.) I am pretty excited, I have been riding 29er hardtail for many years and this will be a new adventure for me. I will post pictures once I have it in hand.
    Last edited by mhiker; 05-02-2016 at 08:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mhiker View Post
    I just put a 2015 Stance 2 on layaway (waiting for my CX bike to sell.) I think I got a really good deal on it. I am already looking at upgrades, I can go to 1x10 pretty cheap and easily. Anything else that anyone has found that is a must upgrade on the Stance? I will probably swap out tires immediately and do gorilla tape tubeless (looking at Kenda Honey Badger and Slant Six.) I am pretty excited, I have been riding 29er hardtail for many years and this will be a new adventure for me. I will post pictures once I have it in hand.
    You'll like the Stance! My wife and myself picked up the Stance 1 2016 a couple months ago and we love them. I also changed out the tires and went tubeless. For my wife's bike, I got her the Maxxis High Roller II for front and rear. On my bike I got the Maxxis Aggressors for the back, and the Minion DHF for the front. For our needs, the tires are great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-20160528_191451.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Mammoth Lakes bike riding...

Brought our Stance 1 2016 bikes to ride some trails out at Mammoth Lakes. Second day we got caught in the rain. Still loving the bike riding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-20160528_151800.jpg  

Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-20160528_153734.jpg  

Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-20160528_153744.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Nice posts and pictures. My next bike will be FS. Not sure If I should go with the Trance 3 or Stance 1

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by paulmich View Post
    Nice posts and pictures. My next bike will be FS. Not sure If I should go with the Trance 3 or Stance 1
    I haven't checked how much of a upgrade there is on the Trance 3 vs Stance 1? I am sure it has upgrades, but check if it is better to get the Stance 1 and upgrade the parts? I have seen a few Giant bikes out here in Mammoth Lakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Finally got a hold of my stance. I took it out mostly stock this weekend. Totally different feel than my 29r hardtail but that is to be expected. I was able to get some Stan's ZTR Crest, put the SLX + rear der on there, just waiting on some new shifter cables and some chain ring bolts so It will truly be 1x10. Super fun bike. I have a couple more local runs then it will be out to CO in a month!

Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-img_20160625_104933.jpgGiant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs-img_20160626_165212.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice bike but why all the upgrades? You're swapping wheels, shifters, cables, rear derailleur... BUT no dropper post in sight?

And with all these upgrades wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy a Trance in the first place?

Did you get discount? (the Stance 1 sells for same price as Stance 2 right now, and after end of next month they'll probably have to give the Stance 2 away for free)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    Nice bike but why all the upgrades? You're swapping wheels, shifters, cables, rear derailleur... BUT no dropper post in sight?

And with all these upgrades wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy a Trance in the first place?

Did you get discount? (the Stance 1 sells for same price as Stance 2 right now, and after end of next month they'll probably have to give the Stance 2 away for free)
    Because I can.....that's really all the reason one needs isn't it? Actually I got a killer discount from my local shop because it is a 2015, it was still WAY cheaper than the Stance 1 on sale. The wheels were free from a friend and everything else I had sitting around. I thought I had shifter cables but alas, I must have used them up. So far this upgrade is costing me $4.00. A dropper post will come one of these days. Saving about $1000 over the Trance 3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast