Thread: Giant Revel

mtbr member
    May 2012

Giant Revel

if you guys havent seen my post in the beginner forum, i am debating on a giant revel for my first bike...
    im on a budget but had a few questions. i know ill get atleast the revel 1 for sure, but are the rockshox xc28 w/ lockout, bb5 disk brakes and x5 derailleur a big upgrade over the suntour xcm v3, x4 derailleur and tektro novela disks?

unsure if i should spend the extra 200 or if i should hold off and just buy upgraded forks and diff things down the road.

any of you guys that ride a revel, please chime on and the pros and cons!

im working on around a $6-700 budget and have been looking at a few different bikes. if you havent checked out my other post, please check it out and give me some advice!

DFMBA.org
    Yes, the extra $200 is worth it. Suntour can't hold a candle to RS in the lower range. What other bikes are you/have you considered?
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I recently bought my first mountain bike and it was a 2011 revel 1. It's definitely the nicest bike I've ever owned but once on the trails you can just tell that it is holding you back. Since I now know that this is something I enjoy and will continue doing, I'm looking to sale it and get a 29er with a better fork, possibly a FS.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    jjarrett how do you feel its holding you back??

and ehh a few different ones. i was considering a 29er but im a smaller guy at 5'6 150# right now. when im cut down to weight, i weigh about 145# so i think the smaller wheel may help me out some. and im from a motocross background so i know il enjoy jumping whenever i can. also heard that the entry level 29s are super heavy...still not ruling out a 29, but i think a 26 may be better in my needs. unsure.

the bikes ive considered so far are the scott aspect 40, giant revel 0, specialized hardrock sport disc, jamis durango sport, etc. im pretty open to almost anything below about $650 or so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It just feels slow, heavy and just all around creaky. I'm a complete noob to this sport so I really don't have anything to compare it to and obviously don't have much technical knowledge of bikes. I did read that the 2012 revels are even heavier than the 2011 model.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Is the Revel 1 a huge upgrade over the Revel 2? I'll be riding the roads during the week, possibly commuting, and riding trails on the weekend. I may upgrade the components in the future.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I recently bought a 2011 Revel 1 and, after a few rides, ended up buying a new wheelset, Shimano XT Hydo brakes, grips, etc... Once I made these upgrades, it made a HUGE difference in my riding. Baseed on this experience, I believe it won't take you long to either want a new bike or plan to upgrade. It just depends on the kind of person you are. I am the kind of person that gets nit picky with my equipment and only wants "one kind of brake," etc.... I also don't have a large amount of cash at any given moment so I have purchase in small increments. I bought some of the upgrades I mentioned used as well so, with the savings, I've spent approximately $1200-$1500 on my "entry" level bike including the initial purchase. I of course could have initially spent that money on a better bike, but the frame would have only been marginally lighter and I wouldn't have gotten XT Hydros or DT Swiss rims with 240 hubs which I would have eventually wanted anyways.....

Really the only thing I would have gained is a bike that has a sweeter looking paint job! haha

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    BTW, on the Revel 1 vs Revel 2 question: My fiancee has the Revel 2 and I enjoy my Revel 1 much better. the handle bar is wider and it just seems to be more setup for mountain riding whereas the 2 seems closer to a commuter style bike.

Honestly, if I had the choice, I would got with the HardRock in that price range though. They are basicly the same bike, but the Specialized is so much cooler looking. You probably won't have to upgrade the seat in the future (I did on my Revel) either because Specialized makes some very comfortable seats.