Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trek7100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    284

    Giant Revel 29er 0 or 1 or Giant Talon 29er 1?

    Between the Giant Revel 29er 0 or 1 or Talon 29er 1, do you recommend as an entry level bike? I plan to ride bike paths, 2 tracks/singletracks, nothing really aggressive. I'm kind of leaning towards the Revels, I'd like to keep my budget under $800. Thank you

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,701
    This would be my suggestion:

    1) Talon 0
    2) Revel 0
    3) Talon 1

    The Revel 0 and Talon 1 are close in certain aspects of the part spectrum but IMO the Revel is a little better, don't even consider the Revel 1 if you afford any of the others.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4
    We have both the Revel 0 and the Talon 1. My wife rides the Revel and I ride the Talon. My advice would be to arrange to take both for a test ride and make the decision yourself? Personally, I liked the geometry of the Talon and it felt a little more aggressive and nimble than the Revel. Both are great bikes and you cannot go wrong, it's a personal preference. I also liked the Talon frame, so if I wanted to upgrade a few parts in the future, it would be something that I could grow into.

    The matte black on the Revel is bad a**
    Good luck!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by teebone110 View Post
    We have both the Revel 0 and the Talon 1. My wife rides the Revel and I ride the Talon. My advice would be to arrange to take both for a test ride and make the decision yourself? Personally, I liked the geometry of the Talon and it felt a little more aggressive and nimble than the Revel. Both are great bikes and you cannot go wrong, it's a personal preference. I also liked the Talon frame, so if I wanted to upgrade a few parts in the future, it would be something that I could grow into.

    The matte black on the Revel is bad a**
    Good luck!
    What is different about the frames?
    I have not been able to find any data about this?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    What is different about the frames?
    I have not been able to find any data about this?

    If you check out the geometry section, you can see that the wheel base is slightly longer with the revel. Other then that, having them side by side you can observe slight differences between the frames. The talon has a more narrow cross bar as it approaches the seat post. It might also be lighter, not sure as i have not weighed them. My lbs said the talon had a better frame, but i dont have any additional data about this. Bottom line, both the revel and talon are sweet bikes!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    165
    Thanks for the reply!
    I started mountain biking on a revel 0 in January and I'm loving it. I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade a few things in the revel or trade up to a different bike. I can't find any weight info on the talk or revel frames.
    On the geometry, wheelbase, is this the same size frame being compared?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    Thanks for the reply!
    I started mountain biking on a revel 0 in January and I'm loving it. I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade a few things in the revel or trade up to a different bike. I can't find any weight info on the talk or revel frames.
    On the geometry, wheelbase, is this the same size frame being compared?
    yes, check out the Giant website and look at the geometry section and compare same frame size of the two bikes.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    165
    Thanks teebone110. I was thinking they were the same frames.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,701
    The main difference in geo are the wheel base, chain stay length and top tube length, the Talon is slightly shorter on the back but longer up front.

    Revel vs Talon (using the Small as reference)
    Top Tube - 22.4 vs 22.5
    Chain Stay - 17.8 vs 17.6
    Wheel Base - 42.0 vs 41.9

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    165
    Thanks dirt devil!

Similar Threads

  1. 2013 Giant Revel 0 or Talon 1
    By 2xmks in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-18-2013, 04:14 AM
  2. Replies: 53
    Last Post: 01-20-2013, 08:57 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-26-2011, 02:12 PM
  4. Giant Talon 29er 1
    By PoorCyclist in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-10-2011, 08:14 AM
  5. Giant Talon 2 29er as first mtb?
    By Dewaholic in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-28-2011, 09:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •