Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Giant Revel 1 vs Revel 0

Hey guys,

Is there any major difference why I would want to spend the extra money for the Revel 0? I am a beginner and would really know what to look for.

Here are the specs from Giant:

Revel 1: Revel 1 (Charcoal/Red) (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Revel 0: Revel 0 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Thank you.

mtbr member
    The difference is in the quality of the drive train components, brakes and fork, the rest is about the same.

Pick the one you can afford and upgrade as components wear off or break.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    so there isn't a significant enough difference to buy the Revel 0 pretty much?

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey Jiggles View Post
    so there isn't a significant enough difference to buy the Revel 0 pretty much?
    For me that flat black paint job would be enough to convince me!

Well, that and the fact that the 0 comes with a RockShox and the 1 comes with SR Suntour fork. SR Suntour forks SUCK. Not to mention that the RockShox has a lockout feature and the SR Suntour one does not. Locking out the fork on climbs well help you out, I know I use it on mine all the time.

KC Weekend Warrior
    I got a Rincon (immediate previous incarnation of the Revel) in 2010 and almost immediately HAD to replace the crank set and rear derailleur due to failure and upgraded the fork and tires for performance reasons - the OE Suntour was a pogo stick. All in all I have about $1500 invested in what was originally a $500 entry level bike. Is it a sweet ride - YES, I love it - should I have bought a higher level of components right off the bat - YES.

In the long run, if you see yourself being in the sport for awhile (10 years +) it will be worth the investment. Bottom line (and the chorus can join in on this) You WILL have more fun on a more reliable higher component bike and better components really DO make a difference.
    '12 Giant Trance X1, Mavic Crossride Wheels, StansTubeless, SPD Pedals

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ok so then Revel 0 it is :-)

Go Speed Racer
    ok so then Revel 0 it is :-)
    I would say based on those two bikes that is a good decision, and you will not regret it! Enjoy your new ride! Nothing better than "new bike day".

mtbr member
    If is around 800 why not consider the Talon 2 and join the 29er crowd.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    If is around 800 why not consider the Talon 2 and join the 29er crowd.
    Great point! I have a Talon 1 (2011) and LOVE it. For just a little more you will get a LOT more bike! We aren't making this easy for you are we? The Talon 29er 2 has about the same components as the bikes you are looking and is about the same price ($650)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Great point! I have a Talon 1 (2011) and LOVE it. For just a little more you will get a LOT more bike! We aren't making this easy for you are we? The Talon 29er 2 has about the same components as the bikes you are looking and is about the same price ($650)
    NO YOU ARE NOT MAKING THIS EASY! LOL

$650 is enough. I'm not doing anything crazy.

mtbr member
    NO YOU ARE NOT MAKING THIS EASY! LOL

$650 is enough. I'm not doing anything crazy.
    Just check it out before committing, MSRP for the Talon 2 is 800 but can be had for less. Try the 29er cool aid and your experience will be even nicer.

After 2 Giant 26 full sussers (still have them) the Talon (in my case '11 Talon 1) sees most of the action.

Go Speed Racer
    When I went in to buy my bike I was actually intending on getting the Revel, and they guys at the bike store talked me into the Talon 1. I am glad they did. I really like the feel of the 29 inch wheels. Just something to consider. You really are not looking at that big of a price difference. Good luck making the decision! Let us know what you decide on, and post some pics!!!

Some pics of the Talon (including mine) over here on this thread: Talon owners .....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What are the 29" wheels good for?

Go Speed Racer
    What are the 29" wheels good for?
    Here is a good article you may want to check out: 26er Versus 29er: The Shootout You've Been Asking For | News | mountain-bike-action

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thank you for that Dennis, but I think I am pretty set on my 26" bike. I will let you know when it happens. Birthday comes up in late April, may take some cash and go with that Revel 0!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    I did do some research however and found this bike that is in my price and a 29er. What do you guys think about Treks?

Trek Bicycle

Go Speed Racer
    I did do some research however and found this bike that is in my price and a 29er. What do you guys think about Treks?

Trek Bicycle
    Just my 2 cents... I would go with the 29er (Trek or Giant). The components on the Trek are just about bottom of the line, but they are easy to upgrade as needed. It is a little harder to upgrade to a 29er (Well, just about impossible). If you watch chainlove and blueskycycling you can get some great deals on components to upgrade down the road.

Once you ride one you will understand.

mtbr member
    Joey, the Talon component spec is superior to the Trek. I was about to get one just before I found a great deal on the Talon.

The only thing that might be a problem with the Trek is the G2 geometry which requires a G2 specific fork for it to perform as designed and to my knowledge the only manufacturer of G2 aftermarket forks is Fox and that means top dollar.

Stick with 29ers and the one that you can afford, both brands offer good warranty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    yeah I heard Trek sort of sucks. I will look into the Talon a little more. Thank you.

Let me pick your brain about these 2:

Talon 1: Talon 29er 1 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Talon 2: Talon 29er 2 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    yeah I heard Trek sort of sucks. I will look into the Talon a little more. Thank you.

Let me pick your brain about these 2:

Talon 1: Talon 29er 1 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Talon 2: Talon 29er 2 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States
    Easy pick, T1; how about the T0?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah but Devil cost is a factor. Is it worth it? Sort of the same question as in my original post for this thread.

mtbr member
    For $140 more you get better fork, 9 speeds and a better drive train, if you can, get it but if not the 1 is the same but with lesser components and 8 speeds.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    For $140 more you get better fork, 9 speeds and a better drive train, if you can, get it but if not the 1 is the same but with lesser components and 8 speeds.
    Agreed. For what is worth, I was in your EXACT position 6 months ago. I started with about a $600 budget, and ended up getting talked into the Talon 1 (2011 model - the 2011 Talon 1 is comparable to the 2012 talon 0). Because the 2012's were coming in, I got it for $899 (retail was $1000). After pounding on this thing 2-3 times a week for the past 6 months, I can not be happier with my decision. It was a little difficult to come up with the extra cash, but I have NEVER regretted it. In fact if I had got anything less than what I did I surely would have regretted not spending more.

The Talon is a GREAT bike. You are doing the right thing and doing a lot of research before making your decision. I also recommend test riding all these bikes and see what feels best for you also.

mtbr member
    Believe that most of us people with a very limited bike budget need to shop around, test ride and look for what gives us bang for the buck regardless of brands, models or color schemes.

Was on your same position, had a fixed amount and almost bought a Trek, decided to look a bit more and ended up with my third Giant, the reason wasn't colors or brand loyalty (love all my Giants btw) was that the Talon gave me the most for my money and was even able to get it below MSRP.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Guys, I really appreciate your stories. It is def. helping me.

I decided to call a local bike store that is supposed to be really legit. They are saying come in and check out their KHS Bikes. What are your thoughts on this one? I know it's not a 29er.

KHS Bicycles :: Alite 500

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast