Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Giant Revel 1 vs Revel 0

60K views 69 replies 21 participants last post by  madloo08 
#1 ·
#4 ·
For me that flat black paint job would be enough to convince me! :thumbsup:

Well, that and the fact that the 0 comes with a RockShox and the 1 comes with SR Suntour fork. SR Suntour forks SUCK. Not to mention that the RockShox has a lockout feature and the SR Suntour one does not. Locking out the fork on climbs well help you out, I know I use it on mine all the time.

#5 ·
I got a Rincon (immediate previous incarnation of the Revel) in 2010 and almost immediately HAD to replace the crank set and rear derailleur due to failure and upgraded the fork and tires for performance reasons - the OE Suntour was a pogo stick. All in all I have about $1500 invested in what was originally a $500 entry level bike. Is it a sweet ride - YES, I love it - should I have bought a higher level of components right off the bat - YES.

In the long run, if you see yourself being in the sport for awhile (10 years +) it will be worth the investment. Bottom line (and the chorus can join in on this) You WILL have more fun on a more reliable higher component bike and better components really DO make a difference.

#12 ·
When I went in to buy my bike I was actually intending on getting the Revel, and they guys at the bike store talked me into the Talon 1. I am glad they did. I really like the feel of the 29 inch wheels. Just something to consider. You really are not looking at that big of a price difference. Good luck making the decision! Let us know what you decide on, and post some pics!!!

Some pics of the Talon (including mine) over here on this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/giant/talon-owners-767476.html

#18 ·
Joey, the Talon component spec is superior to the Trek. I was about to get one just before I found a great deal on the Talon.

The only thing that might be a problem with the Trek is the G2 geometry which requires a G2 specific fork for it to perform as designed and to my knowledge the only manufacturer of G2 aftermarket forks is Fox and that means top dollar.

Stick with 29ers and the one that you can afford, both brands offer good warranty.

#23 ·
Agreed. For what is worth, I was in your EXACT position 6 months ago. I started with about a $600 budget, and ended up getting talked into the Talon 1 (2011 model - the 2011 Talon 1 is comparable to the 2012 talon 0). Because the 2012's were coming in, I got it for $899 (retail was $1000). After pounding on this thing 2-3 times a week for the past 6 months, I can not be happier with my decision. It was a little difficult to come up with the extra cash, but I have NEVER regretted it. In fact if I had got anything less than what I did I surely would have regretted not spending more.

The Talon is a GREAT bike. You are doing the right thing and doing a lot of research before making your decision. I also recommend test riding all these bikes and see what feels best for you also.

#24 ·
Believe that most of us people with a very limited bike budget need to shop around, test ride and look for what gives us bang for the buck regardless of brands, models or color schemes.

Was on your same position, had a fixed amount and almost bought a Trek, decided to look a bit more and ended up with my third Giant, the reason wasn't colors or brand loyalty (love all my Giants btw) was that the Talon gave me the most for my money and was even able to get it below MSRP.

#37 ·
I posted I got a Revel 1, 4 weeks ago and jdmawdjunkie called out the recall before the government issued it (issued on 4/12/12). Good one jdmawdjunkie!!!!!!!

Anyway, I rode the Revel1 for a couple weeks but just wasn't happy with it. This weekend I turned in the Revel 1 for a Talon 29er 2. What a difference an extra $150 got me. So glad I made the change. :thumbsup: Ready to hit Copper Harbor (Michigan) this summer.

#38 ·
Giant Revel 0 or Jamis Trail X3

Joey Jiggles, sorry to jump in to your thread, but i have a question from the pro's, How does the 2012 Revel 0 compare to the 2011 Jamis Trail X3.

I am new to the scene and this is my first time buying a new bike. I want to do some trail riding, but will not do crazy jumps or anything. However, I would like a hardy mountain bike.

The Revel 0 and the X3 have the lockout feature on the fork. The X3 is currently on sale for CAN$360, while the Revel 0 is CAN$700.

I really wanted a bike that would not weigh a lot. I think both these bikes weigh about the same. Is the Revel 0 that much better a bike that I should pay double for it...please HELP!! :confused:

#39 ·
Revel 0

I picked up the Revel 0 today for ground assault, wanted something small, agile and very responsive. I'm 5' 10" and purchased the small. This won't be a bike used to sit on so the seat will stay dropped. Personally I think this bike is a great deal for the money, plus all black sealed the deal. Decent parts. Weight is a non-issue, its not a tank. If I wanted something lighter I would spend twice the money.

Mods will be, trim back handlebars 1" on both sides, swap pedals, cut back the seat post and thats it. I like it the way it is. The RS ock-out is nice to have and easy to switch.

Wheelbase
S/16 is 41.6
M/18 is 42.4

Standover Height
S/16 is 28.8
M/18 is 30.2

Head Angle, Seat Angle and Chainstay are identical between the S and M:
69 / 72.5 / 16.7

My geometry choices for this purchase were the Orange Diva Pro, (yes its a girls bike), Revel 0 and Cannondale Trail--in that order. The Diva is not easy to get in the states and 3 times the price. The Revel will be great for what I want it for.

#41 ·
I picked up the Revel 0 today for ground assault,

I checked out the Revel 0 and 1, Specialized Hardrock (disc) and the Jamis X3 Trail Yesterday. I must say, I like the Revel 0 and the Hardrock the most. May just go with the Revel 0. The 2011 Hardrock was on sale for $450, tempting, but the lockout RochShox XC28 fork, the Tektro Draco hydraulics and of course that stealth paint job on the Revel 0 may just be enough to convince :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.