mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Giant Replacement Frame

I have recently cracked my 2011 Anthem Advanced SL 1 frame and Giant will cover it under warranty. However, they can not replace with a 26inch frame so have offered me the anthem X 29er instead.

Having only ever ridden 26 inch bikes I am not sure if I should accept this or maybe push for a 27.5.

Any thoughts? From what I have read on these forums the Anthem X 29ers have had there fair share of cracking problems.

I mainly ride my local single track and the occasional weekend trip away with maybe 1 or two races per year.

I have organised with my lbs to demo a 29er they have in stock this weekend but any advice/experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers

mtbr member
    I think you should be fine with the 29er if you can get used to it - it's a different feel. It felt good to me instantly, but some people just can't do it. If the demo doesn't go well, you'd be well within your rights to push for the 27.5, because otherwise they're basically replacing a bike you rode and enjoyed with one you aren't comfortable on - I think that's a very reasonable argument if that's how it really is.

Your Best Friend
    Are they offering you a carbon frame replacement? They should and those aren't breaking, and honestly, the failure rate on the aluminum models is minuscule. The shop I work at hasn't seen any, nor have we heard of any except on the interwebs. If you like the 26er, get a 27.5 as you won't notice the difference . You will need a new fork and wheels regardless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Silentfoe, yep, offering complete new bike in a carbon frame with equivalent components (but no tubeless wheels - tubeless ready instead). Picked up demo model today and did about 30km of fire trail. Overall felt fast but definately more hurt on the climbs. Will hit the local single track tomorrow and give a true test.
    The 27.5 and 29 composite models both retail at the same price so surely it would be reasonable to ask for a 27.5 replacement instead of the 29 being offered.....but maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. Test ride tomorrow should clear things up a little.

MTB B'dos
    As has been said, demoing should give you a good idea if you like it, if not sure push for a 650B model, don't see why they wouldn't do that, or at least they should instead of forcing you to take a bike you don't like. Not saying you won't like a 29er, but as Catharyus said, it's normally an instant love or hate relationship - felt natural to me the first ride, never looked back, been 7 years, never owned another 26er.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    They're probably pushing the 29er, so they can fill all the new 27.5 orders coming in. I'm sure they have plenty of 29ers sitting around, compared to the newly released 27.5s.

In my experience the 26, and 29 AX ride like completely different bikes (wheel size aside). I couldn't get on board with those long chainstays on the 29er. Just too planted for me. Too hard to manual, hop, jump, etc. I personally would push for the 27.5 version, since it suits my riding style better... even if I had to wait a bit, which would suck... 2

Your Best Friend
    ^That's not true. 29ers sold out in the first few months of production. I know, we couldn't order any in. So, they aren't offering a 29er because they have them just sitting around. They'll have the 27.5 first because they are doing such huge production runs.

To the OP, just ride a few and decide. If you are being offered a completely new bike, Giant is working hard to take care of you. Enjoy the limelight and pick what works best. How tall are you btw? It isn't a hard and fast rule but if you are near to or over 6ft tall, you should really look hard at the 29er. 27.5s are a joke imo. Not as fast in the corners or acceleration as a 26er and they lack the roll over and speed of a 29er. They are not the best of both worlds. No one ever claimed a hybrid bike is the best of both worlds. It's up to you though. A new bike is a new bike. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    ^That's not true. 29ers sold out in the first few months of production. I know, we couldn't order any in. So, they aren't offering a 29er because they have them just sitting around. They'll have the 27.5 first because they are doing such huge production runs.
    if that's the case, why wouldn't they offer him the 27.5, for his broken 26er? I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, just doesn't make much sense to me...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Wink

I'm 5'11".
    Took it out to my local single track today and had a ball, definately faster than my 26. Didn't feel like I was pushing to hard and close to one of my best times. I still think not as nice on the longer climbs as my 26 however will probably build the strength required after a few months to compensate. I think the pros far outweigh the cons.
    Will have another ride tomorrow and then have some serious thinking to do. Will test ride on a 27.5 regardless, just to make sure.
    I would thoroughly recommend Giant after this experience, they have been awesome so far.

Interestingly, normally ride a large frame but the demo was a medium and seemed to fit well.

Thanks for all the feedback, will let you know what happens.

mtbr member
    MosDef get the 27.5 if you like 26. You will love them, in fact I'm convinced that 27.5 is the replacement for 26 bc of its close riding relationship with the slightly larger wheel size. Go get 'em!
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Got the 27.5 demo for the weekend. I have been told that Giant will come to the party with a 27.5 if that is what I want. Will be putting in the order either way on Monday after a weekend of riding.

In response to the earlier discussion about availability, I have been told that the 29er can be delivered in 2 weeks and the 27.5 in .....considerably longer than that, maybe up to a couple of months.

mtbr member
    I'd be interested in hearing your comparisons after the test rides.

I'm also 5'11ish, and ride a L B/26 Ax... fits great. I thought the M Ax 29 felt just slightly cramped stock, and the L felt reeeally long. Same for the Trance 29 fit. I would've gone with the M for sure. I'm still waiting for my LBS to get more 27.5s to see how they feel/fit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

... and if we just ...

Well the decision has been made.... I am going with a medium 29er. The 27.5 was a great bike also and in reality I would have been happy with either but the speed of the 29er has won me over. The medium 27.5 that I test rode felt cramped to me but I didn't feel as much on the 29.
    I actually found the 27.5 to be very twitchy in the technical parts - more so than my 26 (which seems a bit counter intuitive considering larger wheels and slacker head angle than my old anthem). Maybe this was because of the recent memory of the test ride on the 29???? This feeling also allowed me to flick the bike around a lot more in the tighter stuff to, which was an advantage.
    As has been mentioned the 29ers do feel a lot more planted and maybe this appeals to me because I am getting older and do suffer from a sore back on the longer rides. This could be the start of my transition to a trail/AM bike.
    The only downside to the 29er is that it doesn't look as nice as the all black 27.5 and those tie points for a dropper?? cable on the underside of the top tube add a complication to the way my bike fits in my bike rack. Issues that I can easily deal with!!!
    Thanks again for all the responses, I'll post a pic when it arrives.

Your Best Friend
    Great choice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoro View Post
    I actually found the 27.5 to be very twitchy in the technical parts - more so than my 26 (which seems a bit counter intuitive considering larger wheels and slacker head angle than my old anthem). Maybe this was because of the recent memory of the test ride on the 29???? This feeling also allowed me to flick the bike around a lot more in the tighter stuff to, which was an advantage.
    That is odd. I currently have a 120mm fork and 650b tire up front on my Ax26er, so I bet it might feel twitchy to me too. Yeah, if there is one thing the Ax29 is, it's stable. The flicking is what I'm after, but I'm not sure if the new 27.5 Ax will feel different enough, from what I currently have, to justify a new purchase...

Congrats on the new ride. That's pretty awesome that they're giving you a whole new bike, and not a just a frame.
    Almost wish my frame would crack... : )

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I love my AX1 29'er Medium and I'm 5 foot 9.5". I find the bike feels essentially similar to my 26" Brodie Mettle M except for the better rollover and traction etc. In other words, I have not found anything disappointing about the 29'er. I have only found trouble with the wide bars, but I adjust my riding style and so far that works.

I will try the 27.5 the first chance I get if there is a demo on trails in my area. All these bikes are fun. I prefer the 29'er I have now because I've yet to feel a negative vs my 26" Brodie and the smoother 29'er wheels are better for my back.

Have fun with your new bike