mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Giant Reign X size lg

Can somebody post up some pics of the the new style (2010 -2012) Reign X in size lg. I've gotta make a choice on which size.......medium or large. I'm 6'1" and intween sizes.
    anybody have any impressions on the large frame feel free to share.

cheers

mtbr member
    I've ridden both. I have the 2012 medium and my buddy has the large. I rode my M for a month and loved it, but jumped around on his L and it was incredibly comfortable. I'm 6'3", 210lbs. The M is great to jump and run downhill on, but the large might be more comfortable for longer rides. I found that by mile 8 of my 12 mile new year's weekend trail ride, my lower back was seriously sore as I endeavored to sit and spin uphill.

My advice- go with the medium if you will be jump and downhill oriented. Go with the large if you want a XC bike on sterioids.

WARNING: I talked to Fox today about the rear shock. They are aware of an issue with the shock blowing through travel with this bike. It has to do with the suspension ratio. They also said that this bike really isn't designed for riders over 200lbs. That would have been SERIOUSLY nice to know before I bought the thing!

If you want to take advantage of the Dh/FR side of what the Reign X has been said to do, go with a Faith. It will be easier to pedal than the full DH Glory.

Feel free to ask me any more questions about the bike. I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I just picked up a 2011 Giant Reign X1. I'm the same height as you and got the large. I've had most people tell me to go with the large, but i've always been tempted by a medium with a longer stem, especially since i just have a longer torso... But i got a sweet deal on mine. I haven't gotten to ride it yet and i've actually been out of a bike for a couple of years, but i can give you better advice maybe next week.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeytonP View Post

WARNING: I talked to Fox today about the rear shock. They are aware of an issue with the shock blowing through travel with this bike. It has to do with the suspension ratio. They also said that this bike really isn't designed for riders over 200lbs. That would have been SERIOUSLY nice to know before I bought the thing!
    I'm calling BS on Fox. That said - the Reign-X should NOT be spec'd with an air shock IMHO. Seven inch bike? Coil.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks guys. This bike will be my XC/AM/ freeride bike, with the majority of the riding being XC/AM. My previous frame was a medium and on long rides my back would get tight, so I'm thinking the large is the ticket. I weigh 185 without gear and plan to get that down 5 pounds by spring so the air shock shouldn't be an issue.
    I have a brand new Demo for DH so I really don't need this to be a DH bike and I would like to get the bike at or under 30 pounds so the air shock is necessary. I was actually debating selling the DHX air and getting a RP23...............thoughts???

mtbr member
    I hate when people do this (try to add other bikes into the mix), but I think in this case it's a valid option. Have you looked at the Reign? Non-X model. I think for a do it all except DH it might be the ticket. Better overall for majority XC/AM and it has the rear shock you are considering (RP23) as OEM.
    Last edited by Pock; 01-20-2012 at 04:02 AM.
    2012 Anthem X 29er in the build process
    2010 Diamondback Mission

May contain nuts
    Large all the way, and you'll be fine with air. I'm 5'10" - just fit my medium ReignX (had to run a 70mm stem); but prefer large frame for the std Reign as an all-day bike. (ReignX is brilliant fun though).

mtbr member
    If you're planning all day outings staying mostly in the saddle, then the L Reign X is your way to go. It's only when I start to hit drops and man-made stuff that I have issues with the rear shock, but you have a Demo for that! My issues aside, the Reign X is an awesome bike that completely blew me away. Though most of its hardware has a FR designation, the Reign X is marketed as an All Mountain bike and that's where it is meant to be. I have a blast not having to walk the thing up ascents and then just bombing the descents. Just stick to the demo for when you really want to push it on the freeride side.

Out of curiosity, what year and model are you looking at? I have the 2012 X1

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I am getting a 2010 XO as a warranty replacement frame. I am not considering the Reign because I run 1x10 and need to fit a chainguide. The Reign frame is only slightly lighter and the angles are virtualy the same (with the same fork)
    I will be sure to get the updated lower link too.
    I'm feeling pretty good about the Large now. Does ramping up the bottom out on the DHX-air fix the bottom out issues? Fox does have some updates for that shock do they not? Maybe I could send the shock away while its winter to get it updated to the newer tune.

Thanks for all the help

mtbr member
    Well, I just got my Shock back this week. The rebound dial was stuck. I bought the bike in November. It takes more air pressure than you might be used to get appropriate sag. My buddy with the large weighs about the same as you. He's running 250psi main chamber and 150psi boost. I'm 210# and run 290psi main and 175psi boost. We are smooth riders but love to jump. With bottom out dialed all the way in, it's very easy to push 90-95% travel.. I did that yesterday with a rough lip to 3 ft drop on concrete (also a sketchy landing), but that's what it tends to do under normal tech riding with jumps, but I haven't hit the trail yet after getting it back from Fox. IMO, with your weight, you'll probably be okay.

During setup, be sure to dial the bottom out in all the way in before setting the boost valve pressure. Going all the way out to all the way in can change the pressure 20-30psi and that is critical if you decide to run the boost near max pressure. Take some time setting up and ride easy while you do. I bet it will work great for you once it's dialed.

I hope this helps you out. Let us know how it does once you get it and PLEASE let me know if you do decide to switch out the shock. I'd really like to know your take on what it does.

mtbr member
    I forgot to mention, my stock medium Reign X weighs 32.18lbs. It seems plausible that you could get 30lbs with more XC oriented hardware.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just took my bike on a short ride, i don't have much to compare it to full susp. wise, but i love it so far, feels super fluid but pedals great. It felt a little big for me getting on it at first but i think that may be partially because of my 3 or so years without riding... I dropped the seatpost a little bit and it feels great. Handlebars feel a little wide, but i'm not very wide. Sorry no pic, apparently i haven't posted enough to be able to post pictures... But as stated I'm also 6'1" and the large feels great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Can somebody tell me if The chainguide tabs on the Reign X are ISCG old or ISCG 05.

Thanks

mtbr member
    ISCG. what guide do you want?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PeytonP View Post
    ISCG. what guide do you want?
    I allready have a guide from my previous build. E-13 LG-1 with a wide angle back plate and ISCG-old bolt patern.
    If the new style Reign X's are ISCG-old then I don't need ot get a new back plate. I assume they are as the New style Glory's are ISCG-old.