mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Giant Reign X as replacement for my hardtail

Hi all

I'm GT Ruckus Shore 2008 owner, bike is in stock now, except Truvativ Shift Guide,
    203/180 rotors and 2.5" tyres. This FR bike is very good (successfully tested in Crimea),
    fork/brakes/... works perfectly, but bike is too heavy for me and my riding style
    (trail, AM, XC). I like long XC rides (up to 100 kilometers), long uphills and fast downhills
    may be with little jumps (no extreme freeride, no huge drops, but with rocks, bumps, ...).
    So, i'm interested in frame replacement and futher improvements - changing heavy
    components to lighter to get total weight beetween 14.5-16.0 kg (for XC and AM editions
    respectively).

Question: is there any sense to collect the bike on this frame, or search for other less
    aggressive alternatives?
    Criterias to meet:
    - total weight, up to 16 kg for complete bike prepared for mountains, 15 for XC
    - plush suspension, 6" travel, good pedalling is important

Thanks for all your replies:)

ps: I also have pure XC hardtail and use it every time for extreme long rides (~100 km).

pokyrider
    Feb 2009
    ifyou dont mind replacing pivot bearings 2-3-4-5 times a yaer and they use small bearings. that is the problem. even with the dh line the bearings are too damn small. they ride good but they are heavier than you think. a large with a roco air on the back wieghs 9.2 lbs. I saw it with my eyes.There are a lot better options out there for trail riding. I would buy a tracer(the new one) or a nomad if i were you. I let my local bike shop talk me into one last fall.,I have an uzzi vpx and it is a way better bike up and down. I am already dumping the reign x as it is so maintenence unfriendly. Buy American

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The Nomad is not made in America, is it? I guess it doesn't really matter. If you maintain your bike properly and check the pivot bolts once in a while, yearly bearing replacements are normal for most bikes. That said, the Reign X is a heavy bike if you do long xc rides, and there are better options out there, like a Tracer or a regular Reign. If you're looking for a frame only, I'd check out a Santa Cruz Heckler or Blur LT.

pokyrider
    Feb 2009
    My vpx bearings have been replace once. I have owned it for 3.5 years. Strickly hardcore trail riding. Had to replace pivot bearings on my reign x(as well as several of my friends) before the first set of tires were worn out!! That is B.S. I can think of alot better things to do with my riding time than put pivot bearings in. And they absolutly suck to replace. I had to put a Roco air with tst to get the bobbing to stop on steep techy climbs in the granny ring. Once again my uzzi never had that problem with a coil over on it! I would just rather ride than have to fix some stupid bearings that did not even make it through 1 month of riding. I even put better bearings in it than it came with and they still went to hell too fast. I think(I am not an engineer) It something with the rear geometry but like I said not an engineer. I do not pressure wash my bikes and would expect probs like that if you did. I just did not get it. And their rep sucked to deal with he was like thats normal maintenance. CRAP! Just was not real impressed with whole situation. I will stick with a company that the consumer can call or email and they will actually answer your questions. Customer service and quality rules.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Okay, seems that ReignX will be too heavy for me.

What do you think about GT Force frame? I've demoed ID 5.0 bike. It pedals perfectly,
    130mm of travel works good on XC. My friend demoed this bike in serious mountains
    and he is very happy with it (55 kg weight). For me (65 kg) 152 mm of travel will
    be enough.

I found Force 3.0 bike in local bike shop, it costs just 1400$, i can buy it,
    and easily sold some components from two bikes to get the best of them.

Will try to get this asap