Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012

Giant Reign X or Ibis Mojo HD?

I am currently looking at both of these fine bikes for a custom build up and would like some opinions from the Giant fans. I have a few buddies that ride the Reign and feel they are the best dirt jumping bikes made, this is an important area for my riding style as I like to thrash the trails (to use an 80's term). My experience as a youngling in the late 70's and early 80's was BMX, dirt jumping, pool, half and quarter pipe riding. I ride mostly in the Sedona and Flagstaff AZ areas. I have a large budget for this bike and have all the components already selected. I have found that the color choices for the Reign are not desirable to me at all and if a custom color would not be available then a strip, media blast and powder coat of the frame would be in order. I would think that Giant would accomadate my request since they have other frames in a color that I do like and that would mean that thier name would remain on the frame.

So let's hear from the Reign fans as the Mojo HD fans are just completely sold on Ibis' product and support!

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by RideNShine View Post
    I have a large budget for this bike and have all the components already selected. I have found that the color choices for the Reign are not desirable to me at all and if a custom color would not be available then a strip, media blast and powder coat of the frame would be in order. I would think that Giant would accomadate my request since they have other frames in a color that I do like and that would mean that thier name would remain on the frame.
    Pompous much?

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I agree that the Reign Xs are fugly but:

You serious think that the largest bike company in the world is going to custom paint a frame for you? Interesting parallel universe you live in.

If you want the frame, get it blasted and coated yourself. You might lose the warranty on it though.

Otherwise, just get the Ibis if it comes in the right colour.

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    I agree that the Reign Xs are fugly but:

You serious think that the largest bike company in the world is going to custom paint a frame for you? Interesting parallel universe you live in.

If you want the frame, get it blasted and coated yourself. You might lose the warranty on it though.

Otherwise, just get the Ibis if it comes in the right colour.
    Never thought or knew Giant was the largest bike company in the world, so any thought of great personal customer service would also be in the parallel universe you speak of. And if removing the paint might void the warranty (and/or weaken the frame) then I suppose the Ibis would be the better choice. Although color is far less important than performance, the fact that the 2 bikes are close to each other in performance (I would say the Reign has the edge with the riding I do) I would be willing to sacrifice that edge for a better looking bike.

Thanks for your input it certainly has helped me make my decision.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The Reign X is a great bike. If it wasn't for the lower link problem, I'd still have one. I replaced the X with an HD.

Either way you can't go wrong.

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by krf350lv View Post
    The Reign X is a great bike. If it wasn't for the lower link problem, I'd still have one. I replaced the X with an HD.

Either way you can't go wrong.
    Thanks for your input. Despite your LL problem is there a noticeable difference between the two? Does the HD jump as well as the Reign X? What are your feelings in regards to the HD? I would appreciate any opinions you have as you have owned both! I have the opportunity to ride the HD but not the X, also I'm leaning toward the HD as the LBS (5 min away) sells them and the nearest Giant dealer is about an hour from me.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Sent you a PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Big diiference in Geometry between the two bikes. All Mojo's are all short wheelbase pitch unstable xc on steroids. RX is much longer slower handling but more stable.

Take your pick.

mtbr member
    Id say if the HD is good enough for Brian Lopes, then its probably good enough for you in your parallel universe. I think it looks better too. oh yeah and its Carbon!!!!
    Ride it like you Stole it

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The 2012 Giant Reign X's are suppose to use a different lower link that's much thicker than the one employed on the 2011,2010 Reign X's. You should go to the Giant forum there are actually photos of the new lower link and it does look considerably thicker.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Big diiference in Geometry between the two bikes. All Mojo's are all short wheelbase pitch unstable xc on steroids. RX is much longer slower handling but more stable.

Take your pick.
    Here are the numbers. Not sure where the XC on steroids come in....

WITH 160MM FORK
    NOMINAL SIZE MED REIGN X

Top Tube Length 564 (23.2")
    Head Tube Length 94 (5")
    Chainstay Length 435 (17.1")
    Seat Tube Angle 72.5
    Head Tube Angle 67
    Wheelbase 1093 (44.9")
    Standover 715 (29.5")

WITH 160MM FORK MED MOJO HD

Top Tube Length 587 (23.1")
    Head Tube Length 103 (4")
    Seat Tube Angle 71
    Head Tube Angle 67
    Wheelbase 1114 (43.9")
    Standover 758 (29.8")

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Check your conversion . Reign x WB is 1140mm not 1114mm. Big difference in front centre.

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mefistofeles View Post
    The 2012 Giant Reign X's are suppose to use a different lower link that's much thicker than the one employed on the 2011,2010 Reign X's. You should go to the Giant forum there are actually photos of the new lower link and it does look considerably thicker.
    Uuuuuuh this thread is in the Giant forum. I will check out the thread.

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by krf350lv View Post
    Here are the numbers. Not sure where the XC on steroids come in....

WITH 160MM FORK
    NOMINAL SIZE MED REIGN X

Top Tube Length 564 (23.2")
    Head Tube Length 94 (5")
    Seat Tube Angle 72.5
    Head Tube Angle 67
    Wheelbase 1093 (44.9")
    Standover 715 (29.5")

WITH 160MM FORK MED MOJO HD

Top Tube Length 587 (23.1")
    Head Tube Length 103 (4")
    Seat Tube Angle 71
    Head Tube Angle 67
    Wheelbase 1114 (43.9")
    Standover 758 (29.8")
    well even if you correct the X's wb, the geometry is nearly identicle! So the biggest difference would be suspension, Maestro or DW. I got a chance to ride the X and it was a great bike, rode it for a couple of hours and it felt good on the DH and in the air. Also rode the HD and now I underostand what all the hype is about!! I had sooooooo much fun on the HD I didn't stop riding till I was totally spent!! 6 hours and about 30 miles of single track bliss!!! It felt the same as the X in the air was IMHO a tad smoother and nimble on the DH, BUT the HD can climb like a mountain goat!!!! I cleared every uphill obstical I faced and the HD just wanted more!! My decision has been made, custom mojo HD is in the near future!!

Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Check your conversion . Reign x WB is 1140mm not 1114mm. Big difference in front centre.
    If you don't like the numbers quoted from the Giant web page, email Giant customer service and let them know of the error you found.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign X or Ibis Mojo HD?-reign-x-geo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Last time I went to school 43.9" of the Mojo HD is shorter than 44.9" of the Reign X by a whole 1".

44.9 x 25.4 =1140.46mm not 1093mm.

It's not a criticism of the HD or the Reign X. It's just something to be aware of.

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    Let me just point out one small detail. The 1" difference in wheel base is not very significant as it is only a 2.2% difference, but if that same 1" was in chain stay length it would have a much greater impact on the ride and feeling of the bike. Just MHO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Too much emphasis is put on CS length in these forums without looking at the whole picture.

Your forgetting the front centre dimension. Both have same length Chain stays. Front centre is very important in the fit of the bike, stem length and pitch stabilty.. The Hd is more lively feeling because it's length vs BB height vs front centre gives it more pitch instabilty.Weight shifting has more effect on the ride. It takes a good rider to get the most out of the bike. The same factor which gives the Reign X stabilty and not as livlier a ride but much more stable down hill.The reign X suspension is optimised for DH.

IMHO the OP is comparing too bikes designed for different applications. Ones a woodsy trail bike that is versatile enough to be fun down hill the other is a Freeride bike. Probably a singletrack slug. A reign would have been closer to the HD in purpose even though it is shorter in travel.

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    My camparison of these 2 bikes was my fault, be that as it may I have realized that my BMX/pool/half pipe/quarter pipe riding history and style the Mojo HD is better suited to me.

I was not emphasizing the chain stay length or it's importantce to the ride of a bike. I was merely saying the ratio of a 1" change in measurement is greater on a chain stay, seat tube, top tube, head tube than on wheel base.

Furthermore when you consider the identicle chain stay lengths and factor in the seat tube angle you will find that the X IS more suited to downhill and the HD is a livelier AM steed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Depends on how you define AM riding I guess.

Seat stay angle doesn't come in to it when your standing on DH runs. If anything Giant is always conservative in thier geometry and don't fit the lively HD mold or long legged Euro stead. They tend to have longish CS and shortish front centres.I think HD is in the long leg trail bike category. Latest gen AM bikes have very long front centre and WB for DH stability but with steep seat angles to help with the climbs. They need it as most have had the anti squat and compression rates dialled back.
    IBIS, santa cruz , turner bikes all share the short WB slack seat angle geo and seem to be designed for local trails the designers like to ride. They happen to suit many other regions as well. Yeti, Rocky mountain and many Euro brands have more of a long Dh run emphasis on their geometry. Designed for local trails they like to ride.

Giant kind of sits in middle ground. Makes great suspension and bikes but don't light the fire at either end as far as geometry goes.