mtbr member

Giant Reign w/ Fox Vanilla RLC?

Hi guys;

I'm looking to build a Giant Reign for this summer. I got a sweet deal on a Fox Vanilla RLC - 130, and I was wondering if I can match the two.

I know the Reign comes with a Nixon (145 travel) or with the 36 (the 2006 version).

What do you guys think? Vanilla is coil and 5 inches. Would this be a problem, considering that the Reign has 6 inches of rear travel?
    I know there are some 5.75 bikes that come (kind of) standard with the Vanilla: Ellsworth Moment, Yeti 575, SC Heckler... Was thinking the Reign is in the same line and i shouldn't be a problem.

Need your opinion!
    Hit me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The 5" Vanilla will still be a good match for the Reign. How much was the RLC?
    Most 5.75" bikes are made for 5" fork. The Reign was made for 6" fork, but you will just end up with around 70 degree HA.
    What you need to know is the A2C dimension the Reign's 69.5 degree HA was used. For example, my VT was designed to use 585mm A2C giving a 70 degree HA. I have a 505mm A2C with my fork giving a revised HA of almost 69 degrees.

mtbr member

Huh.

You lost me at the end... Can you please elaborate?

(I paid around $360 - shipped for the RLC.)

Thank you!
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    The 5" Vanilla will still be a good match for the Reign. How much was the RLC?
    Most 5.75" bikes are made for 5" fork. The Reign was made for 6" fork, but you will just end up with around 70 degree HA.
    What you need to know is the A2C dimension the Reign's 69.5 degree HA was used. For example, my VT was designed to use 585mm A2C giving a 70 degree HA. I have a 505mm A2C with my fork giving a revised HA of almost 69 degrees.
    Uh... typo or math mistake??
    Check my Site

mtbr member

Uh?

Dudes...

If you're trying to confuse me - You are really successful!

Details, please?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    A2C - he means Axle to Crown, i.e. how long the fork is...the longer the fork is the slacker the head-tube angle. Its not just a measure of the forks travel, alledgedly Marzocchis normally are long forks for any given travel and Fox forks shorter, and the others in-between.

I think the low end Reign has a 130mm Rock shox fork already so you should be fine.

Motion activated
    Before deciding on a fork I did a little experimenting with a Fox Nilla set at 120mm on my Reign. Basically it was a great climber in this mode. The head angle was too steep for general trail riding though. I've always felt that you should try to have the same travel at both ends of the bike. Other wise you never get to use all the capability of the frame as your limited by what the fork can do. When I put a bigger fork on the bike, all of a sudden it felt like a 6" travel bike.

Some of the Reigns came with a 130mm fork, but I think they have a longer A2C than the Fox Vanilla for the same amount of travel.

Anyway that is just my experience/biases. It all depends on what and how you ride. One thing is for sure though; the Reign is a very nice bike! Have fun.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member

So...

Still confused.

What I'm saying is that there are many 5.75 bikes out there with this actual fork. Not other ones with longer A2C. (Yetis, Moments, Hecklers, GTs); But, then again, they're not Reigns..

So, should I try the Vanilla, or sell it when it's still new, and get something bigger?
    For my type of riding, I don't think I need more than 130 of front travel (especially because of the many climbing sections here in Calgary). The Nixon Elite (standard on Reigns) comes with IT, right?
    But if I change dramatically the geometry of the bike, I'll just sell the fork and get a 36. Which is waaay over my riding needs.

I like the fact that Vanilla is coil and exactly where I need it to be: 130...

Help, please...

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by zamolxe
    Still confused.

What I'm saying is that there are many 5.75 bikes out there with this actual fork. Not other ones with longer A2C. (Yetis, Moments, Hecklers, GTs); But, then again, they're not Reigns..

So, should I try the Vanilla, or sell it when it's still new, and get something bigger?
    For my type of riding, I don't think I need more than 130 of front travel (especially because of the many climbing sections here in Calgary). The Nixon Elite (standard on Reigns) comes with IT, right?
    But if I change dramatically the geometry of the bike, I'll just sell the fork and get a 36. Which is waaay over my riding needs.

I like the fact that Vanilla is coil and exactly where I need it to be: 130...

Help, please...
    Many users of the bikes you mentioned, just swapped the shorter Fox for longer Pikes or Zokes AM series in 130-150mm.

The head angle seemed to be too steep which will in turn make the bike easy to climb but will make your bike hit pedals on rocks and sketchy on descents. In tight singletrack the bike will handle like a go-kart (sliding the tail instead of actually steer).

So, it's up to you. What kind of handling do you prefer. And also, with as much climbing, you should start wondering yourself if the lighter Trance would be the best option for you.

I was in the same position you do. A 4" bike was maybe too short and a 6" ones way too much. I ended up with another brand because Giant hasn't wanted to make a 5" bike.

There are many like the IH MKIII, Marin Quad, etc....
    Check my Site

mtbr member

Yeah...

Trance, although a great bike, doesn't push my buttons as well as the Reign.
    Plus I'm 6.3, 200pounds - maybe more with gear. I feel more confident throwing the Reign
    around, as opposed to the Trance. Although there are many climbs around here - there are also lots of crazy descents...

I look around, see what the best options are for a 150mm fork.

I'm trying to build it as light as possible.

That's what I think I'll do. Line up my 150mm options and see which one is lighter...

Good thing is I have a brand new Vanilla to trade in...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Uh... typo or math mistake??
    yeah... 585 was meant to be 485!

I was just making the point that when a manufacturer advertises a certain HA, you need to know the A2C that was used (or fork make/model). That way when you are choosing a replacement you will know whether you want to slacken the HA, steepen it, or just make it the same.

mtbr member

So..

Now I REALLY need some input.

Here's the shortlist I came up with:

* Manitou Nixon Platinum w/ IT - travel 145mm - weight: 4.1 lbs

* Marzocchi AM 1 w/ ETA - travel 150mm - weight: 4.58 lbs

* Rock Shox Pike Team U-Turn w/ Poploc - travel 140mm - weight: 4.75 lbs

Right now I'm debating between the Zoke and the Pike... I don't trust the IT on the Nixon.
    Price-wise, they're all 4-500 bux - Talking about the 2005 models.
    The Zoke is the only one with 6 pure inch of travel. And it's fairly light. I loved the ETA on my MX Comp... And I heard it climbs really well...

I'm not doing any crazy freeride stuff - So I'm not looking for beefier forks than these. Aggro XC is what I think I'm doing. Aggro - not because I'm sooo good. It's just that I'm heavy.. :-)

Help?

"El Whatever"

Right now I'm debating between the Zoke and the Pike... I don't trust the IT on the Nixon.
    The Zoke is the only one with 6 pure inch of travel. And it's fairly light. I loved the ETA on my MX Comp... And I heard it climbs really well...

I'm not doing any crazy freeride stuff - So I'm not looking for beefier forks than these. Aggro XC is what I think I'm doing. Aggro - not because I'm sooo good. It's just that I'm heavy.. :-)

Help?
    Tough call...

I like the Pike as for adjustability and quality of travel. It's also 20mm axle which is good for someone big.

The AM OTOH, is proven to be a very capable fork but some had complained about some lower quality damping as compared to HSCV Zoke's.

To make it even more difficult, the U-Turn on the Pike is nice, lets you put the fork anywhere inside the adjustment range.... but it takes some turns (as it happens with my Magura Phaon) to lower it and that can be a chore.

The ETA on the Zoke is the perfect climbing weapon... a flip of a switch and you're with a low-as-you-want fork. Flip it back and you're back to full travel.

If you don't do crazy stuff, I would lean for the AM in it's top version (TAS, ETA, TST, ETC). If your trail is all the way up to go all the way down, then I'd choose the Pike.

(Rumours are PUSH will be working shortly on Rock Shox stuff... a plus for the Pike)
    Check my Site

Motion activated

Help?
    The Pike will need a 20mm TA (Though Axle) so you might need a new wheel. But I think at your weight a 20mm TA is the way to go. I'd also look at the Z1 Zokies rather than the AM's.

But this is just my opinion.... without seeing what you ride and how you ride, it's difficult to say what is the best decision. I'm really just basing my opinion on the capabilities of the Reign and your weight. Any of those forks are a better match than the Fox Vanilla.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Tough call...

I like the Pike as for adjustability and quality of travel. It's also 20mm axle which is good for someone big.

The AM OTOH, is proven to be a very capable fork but some had complained about some lower quality damping as compared to HSCV Zoke's.

To make it even more difficult, the U-Turn on the Pike is nice, lets you put the fork anywhere inside the adjustment range.... but it takes some turns (as it happens with my Magura Phaon) to lower it and that can be a chore.

The ETA on the Zoke is the perfect climbing weapon... a flip of a switch and you're with a low-as-you-want fork. Flip it back and you're back to full travel.

If you don't do crazy stuff, I would lean for the AM in it's top version (TAS, ETA, TST, ETC). If your trail is all the way up to go all the way down, then I'd choose the Pike.

(Rumours are PUSH will be working shortly on Rock Shox stuff... a plus for the Pike)

What about the NIXON?
    It's the lightest of them all...

Whew. This is gonna be hard.

"El Whatever"
    What about the NIXON?
    Just like computers.... Plastic inside....

I've seen Zoke internals. There's nothing that could break in there. The Pikes have lots of plastic too, but there have been very little reports of broken ones.

Try to match that to the Nixon records... If the Nixon survives the '06 season with flying colours, the Manitou would be an option again.

As for now, and at your weight (I'm not trying to be offensive, just bringing up considerations you've brought up before) I'd go for reliability, sacrificing a bit weight.

You'd rather save weight at the rims where it counts the most, but don't go light on spokes and hubs... not to mention suspension parts which are designed for people under your weight.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    The Pike will need a 20mm TA (Though Axle) so you might need a new wheel. But I think at your weight a 20mm TA is the way to go. I'd also look at the Z1 Zokies rather than the AM's.
    i second that, choose either Pike or Marz Z1 FR1. Personally I own Pike and I haven't had any troubles with it, despite plastic internals... SRAM did RS really good!
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    If it was my choice I would go for the AM 1. I wouldn't even have to think about it!

Perfect fork for the Reign. Next I would get the Pike, which is a beautiful fork itself. Manitou last. I ride Manitou's and like them, but I would never put one on a Reign.

mtbr member

yup

AM it is then!
    It makes the most sense: Price, travel, weight.
    I'm only wondering why isn't Giant putting it OEM on Reigns...

I hate this thing about height and weight. I'm not fat by any means. I'm just a fit 6'3" person...

Buy a bike - "oh, you need this bigger.. more expensive"
    Buy a snowboard - "oh, you need this bigger... more expensive"
    Buy goddam shoes - "oh, your size... more expensive"

Steept on the wallet...

And then there's the aspect of the chippery 90 pounds girl that flies by you on the trail, on her way up, giggling her tush of...

Whew. Football! Now that's a sport for me... To bad I hate it... hahahaha.

Thanks guys! anyone seen a Reign sporting an AM?

mtbr member

hm...

What if I splurged on a 36 Talas?

Veeery tempting...

Motion activated
    What if I splurged on a 36 Talas?

Veeery tempting...
    Fox has had a *lot* of problems with them and even when they are working they not very well regarded.

The Zokie 66SL (adjustable travel 100-170 via air pump) 5.6lb or the Van 36 would be a better idea. But from your description of your riding and terrain, I’d say they are both over kill.

FWIW the Pike should be stiffer than the Zokie AM.

mtbr member

Finally

I've decided for an '06 Pike 454 Dual Air w/ U-Turn. I got a smokin' deal and I couldn't pass it.

Thanks for all the input guys! I really appreciate it.

Cheers!