mtbr member

Giant Reign unavailable right now - why?

I had my LBS check on a Reign1 for me and they said it showed as unavailable and that they couldn't even put in an order. Anyone have any insight as to why this is?

I'm thinking 650b may have have something to do with it. Either demand is really high for the Reign b/c it is one of the bikes that can be converted to 650b, or perhaps Giant is not producing anymore 2013 Reign 26 bikes?

I'm trying to decide right now between a Reign 1 or a Rocky Mountain Altitude 750 (650b bike). One hesitation I have with a 26er right now is that it seems the industry is on the path of doing away with them. E.g. Companies like Rocky mountain and Norco aren't even making the 150mm bikes in 26. It's all 650b.

Thoughts? Insight?

No Stranger to danger....
    I do know that in the past its not uncommon for reigns to sell out pretty early for some models, but im sure you will find one.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I think your reading too much into it... I don't think it has anything to do with 650b. Unavailable most likely means there waiting for another container full of bikes from overseas.

Back in October, I ordered a 2013 Reign 2. I was initially told the same thing... It was unavailable and wouldn't be available until January. I was told that if I committed and purchased (paid for half the bike up front), Giant would put me on a priority list to get it ASAP. Luckily for me, my shop rocks and started pulling any string they could and I wound up with my bike in exactly 1 week.

I highly suspect your in the same position... If you laid down cash, Giant would probably magically find that Reign 1 within a few weeks. Your bike shop may just suck and not know how to work the system to service the customer... My closest Giant shop falls into this category of crappy bike shops, so I drove further and found a legit shop to do business with.

If you want that bike and your local shop isn't giving you the answer you want, try a different shop.

Or it's possible that the Reign 1 is just so backordered you can't get one... period. But money talks...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Over here in the UK, I ordered a Reign x frame set on 7 Jan and was told they will not be here until week 13 there are non in the country, the complete bike is not available over here frameset only

Your Best Friend
    PM sent to the OP.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Good, green, Oregon.
    My opinion, and of course just an opinion, is that it does have to do with 27.5. As I understand also, there will not be a 2014 26" Reign. At least that is the word I have heard, but do your own research. The trend is forming though. Check this thread I started for some ideas:
    It's not too early! Giant in 2014?
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - Team Dirt - Build It. Ride It.

Always in the wrong gear
    I was at my LBS looking at a reign the other day, they sent me home with a 2013 catalog, which does have the reign (X1, X2, XO models in it). Not sure if that helps answer your question, but they are being advertised!

Your Best Friend
    We have two in our shop and they aren't moving at all. Lot's of interest but I wonder if it is because we've moved beyond the interest in FS 26ers? At least until you get into the bigger bikes, which is what I had thought the Reign was solidly in. Time will tell. If they aren't selling and Giant is aware of this, I'm sure they are looking at trends.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    We have two in our shop and they aren't moving at all. Lot's of interest but I wonder if it is because we've moved beyond the interest in FS 26ers? At least until you get into the bigger bikes, which is what I had thought the Reign was solidly in. Time will tell. If they aren't selling and Giant is aware of this, I'm sure they are looking at trends.
    Do you REALLY think the Reign is declining in popularity because of 29s? (which is what I'm assuming you are insinuating). I see a ton of Reigns in our area (NorUT), and 'am thinking of a '13 Reign 1 again. I'm not really, really into the mtb scene so maybe what I'm saying doesn't have merit (and I've never ridden a 29 either). Curious.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    Do you REALLY think the Reign is declining in popularity because of 29s? (which is what I'm assuming you are insinuating). I see a ton of Reigns in our area (NorUT), and 'am thinking of a '13 Reign 1 again. I'm not really, really into the mtb scene so maybe what I'm saying doesn't have merit (and I've never ridden a 29 either). Curious.
    I don't think that is what Silentfoe is saying at all. I think what he means is that while the Reign is an incredible bike, Giant is aware of where the industry is headed, and possibly looking to the future. As I have mentioned before, I really think Giant will surprise us by jumping in earlier than people expect them to, for 27.5 bikes.

I'm not sure if any of you saw this article or not, but pinkbike.com has an interview with the Giant Factory Off-Road team manager, and they specifically ask him about 27.5 and Giant, and his non-answer tells a story for sure, and my reading into it says that Giant is seriously looking to 27.5 currently, and we may see something soon. Check out the article, and let me know your interpretation of what he says.

Interview: Joe Staub - Giant Factory Off-Road Team Manager - Pinkbike
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - Team Dirt - Build It. Ride It.

Your Best Friend

Re: Giant Reign unavailable right now - why?

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    I don't think that is what Silentfoe is saying at all. I think what he means is that while the Reign is an incredible bike, Giant is aware of where the industry is headed, and possibly looking to the future. As I have mentioned before, I really think Giant will surprise us by jumping in earlier than people expect them to, for 27.5 bikes.

I'm not sure if any of you saw this article or not, but pinkbike.com has an interview with the Giant Factory Off-Road team manager, and they specifically ask him about 27.5 and Giant, and his non-answer tells a story for sure, and my reading into it says that Giant is seriously looking to 27.5 currently, and we may see something soon. Check out the article, and let me know your interpretation of what he says.

Interview: Joe Staub - Giant Factory Off-Road Team Manager - Pinkbike
    Bingo. Between 29ers for the XC FS duties and 27.5 for all mountain, it is going to leave a very small market for the 26 FS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Well my frameset arrived this morn alot sooner than I expected so can start the build but there was no straight through rear axle and Hope dont make a straight through so going to see if i can get some threaded rod or something till i can get one