Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)

277K views 729 replies 164 participants last post by  kurtis1984 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,
The purpose of this thread is to hear of modifications people have made to their giant reign to find out what works and what doesn't.

I am very interested to know about switching the rear shock for something other than the DHX air. I have also heard of guys changing the stroke legnth on the rear shock to gain more travel ie...from 2" stroke and 6" travel to 2.35" stroke 6.75" travel. Anyone tried this?

Here's my mods;
2009 Giant Reign 0
-36 Fox Talas , brings my head tube angle to 66.5 and the BB just over 14". I really like this setup, makes the reign much more capable on gnarly descents but just as versatile for climbs, XC type stuff. It comes with a 1lb weight penalty.
-KS i950r adjustable seat post with 5" travel. For me this was necessary because as you know the interrupted seat tube on a reign did not allow for maximum extension for climbing AND total drop down for downhill. this post is awesome, adjust on the fly and have the seat right where you want it depending on what your riding. it comes with a 1/2lb weight penalty.
-RaceFace Bashgaurd
-Chromag 50mm Ranger Stem for better control downhill and less of a felling like i'm going over the bars
-Chromag Fubars OS 730mm for extra stability, less twitchyness

Post your Mods!!!!!!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#202 ·
I've changed too many items!!!!

I bought a 2012 Reign 0 & was pretty darn happy with it initially. Then I started riding more technical trails and I was wishing for more travel. The Reign 0 is an awesome all mountain bike, but my terrain got harder, I began to wish for a Reign X. So here is my transformation to my version of the Reign X:thumbsup:

1st on the changed out list was wider bars (29.5"), Shorter stem (50mm), angle set (1degree slacker) and new grips! I love the Funn stuff, cheap and bomb proof! Not pictured is a Reverb post! And I hate noise, so that's why there is foam protection all over the place.

Then came the 2010 Marzocchi 55 RC3 TI 160mm & Sun Ringle Charger Expert wheelset

Then the Vivid RC2 200x57 rear shock, which bumps the travel to 6.7":thumbsup:

The next item is chain management. I went to the 3x10 SLX & converted the big ring to a bash ring & installed a BIONICON chain guide. Bike is now incredible quiet & no more chain derailment issues:thumbsup:

#205 ·
I bought a 2012 Reign 0 & was pretty darn happy with it initially. Then I started riding more technical trails and I was wishing for more travel. The Reign 0 is an awesome all mountain bike, but my terrain got harder, I began to wish for a Reign X. So here is my transformation to my version of the Reign X:thumbsup:
mtbbiker - that looks good even with the foam. How much time do you have on the Vivid Air. What are your thoughts. I have a Vivid Air on FR bike and with only a couple of rides don't yet have enough time to say if I like it or not.

Never really thought a Vivid Air would fit on the Reign. I am awaiting a Monarch Plus RC3 for my Reign, hopefully that will improve the bike in the really technical terrain over what the RP23 can manage.

#417 ·
I've upgraded a few things, Spank Oozy Evo wheelset, tubeless, XT drive train, Spank Oozy stem, Spank Subrosa bars, saddle, Odi Rogue grips. View attachment 846624
Nice model mate, imho the nicest looking reign ever put out, but i would say that, ive got the same lol, im just a sucker for flat black, just looks slick...

#2 ·
I just installed a RP23 7/785X2.25 on my older 05 frameset. It works so well, that I'm going to swap out the DHX4 on my 08 frame & give it a try.

The seatstay bridge comes very close to the seatube under full compression with no air in the shock, so I installed a hard rubber bumper on the seatube, but I think the ramp up in the shock won't allow contact anyhow, & after a handful of rides, no problems.
The RP doesn't seem to blow through midstroke like my DXH, & I'm getting 6" +, feels great.
I can 35 lbs less air in the RP compared to the DHX, & get a much better feel overall.

#595 ·
Giant Reign Shox Lenght HELP!

I just installed a RP23 7/785X2.25 on my older 05 frameset. It works so well, that I'm going to swap out the DHX4 on my 08 frame & give it a try.

The seatstay bridge comes very close to the seatube under full compression with no air in the shock, so I installed a hard rubber bumper on the seatube, but I think the ramp up in the shock won't allow contact anyhow, & after a handful of rides, no problems.
The RP doesn't seem to blow through midstroke like my DXH, & I'm getting 6" +, feels great.
I can 35 lbs less air in the RP compared to the DHX, & get a much better feel overall.
Hey guys, I have a 2012 Reign 1 (Reign 1 (2012) | Giant Bicycles | United States) but I cannot find the Shox length on Giants Reign official page. I want to change my original RockShox monarch shox to a Monarch Plus but realized there are different lengths on the market (7.875 x 2.25, 200x57 etc).

At this point I want to switch to a length that is the same as my original shox since I am comfortable with my setup but since I cannot find / figure out what is my original shox length I cannot purchase a new shox (I dont wanna but a shox that will not fit into my bike)

Can anyone tell me what is the shox length of 2012 Reign 1 length? will 7.875 x 2.25 fit onto my giant Reign? Any information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

#3 · (Edited)
Here is my bike, and all of its current mods.

09 Reign 1
-Hayes Stroker Ace brakes 203/180 (I like these much better than the stock elixirs)
-Hope hubs with Spank Rims and DT spokes (heavier than stock WTB wheels, but also stiffer)
-Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 dual ply tires(similiar traction to the stock Nevegals, more durable sidewall)
-Shimano SLX crankset (I like the gearing better(36/22), and have no need for a big ring)
-Ethirteen DRS Bash/Chain Guide (works great to keep the chain on when going over rocky terrain)
-Kona Wah Wah pedals (bike came with clipless, not my thing)
-Crank Bros Joplin seatpost (a must have for any bike imho)
-WTB Rocket V seat (much better on my ass than that horrible Fizik seat)
-Thomson 70mm 0 rise stem (stock 90mm was too long, the 70 is much better for downhill riding, and only slightly worse for climbing)
-RaceFace Atlas FR Bars(I cut them down to 710mm. The extra width, and lower rise fits me better than the stock mid rise RaceFace)

#4 ·
MODEL - Reign 2 (2009)
SIZES - L (20")
FRAME - AluxX SL aluminium, Fluid Formed, Maestro suspension system, 6.0''/152mm travel
FORK - RS Revelation Race Dual Air 150mm Maxle Lite
HEADSET - FSA
SHOCK - Fox Float RP2
HANDLEBAR - RaceFace Ride XC riser
STEM - RaceFace Ride XC
SEAT POST - Giant Alloy 30.9mm
SEATPOST CLAMP - Giant
SADDLE - WTB Devo SLT (215g)
PEDALS - Shimano M520
SHIFTERS - SRAM X.7 27 speed triggers
FRONT MECH - Shimano SLX
REAR MECH - SRAM X.7
BRAKES - Shimano SLX
ROTORS - Avid G2 185mm
BRAKE LEVER - Shimano SLX
CASSETTE - SRAM PG950 11-34
CHAIN - Shimano HG53
CRANKS - RaceFace Ride XC X-Type 44/32/22
BOTTOM BRACKET - RaceFace X-Type
RIMS - WTB Laser Disc Trail 26"
HUBS - Atomlab 920F 20mm front / Novatech rear
SPOKES - Stainless steel
TYRES - Schwalbe Racing Ralph 26 x 2.25

WEIGHT - 13.12kg without pedals and sigma/13.50kg with pedals and sigma

#5 ·
I need a bit of advice, I have a reign (2008 i think) and WAS running Suntour Rux 130mm forks, I just picked up a pair of RS RECON 351's off ebay, they were advertised as 140mm travel, I looked in to this and it seemed ok. They arrived today and they length of them is the same as my Suntour and the air/weight setup chart on the fork gived settings for 80-130mm travel. I did think maybe keeping them because they are a lot lighter but holding them next to the bike it looks like I would lose about an inch in height and therefore a tighter head angle too.

any advice please?

#7 ·
ir803 said:
I need a bit of advice, I have a reign (2008 i think) and WAS running Suntour Rux 130mm forks, I just picked up a pair of RS RECON 351's off ebay, they were advertised as 140mm travel, I looked in to this and it seemed ok. They arrived today and they length of them is the same as my Suntour and the air/weight setup chart on the fork gived settings for 80-130mm travel. I did think maybe keeping them because they are a lot lighter but holding them next to the bike it looks like I would lose about an inch in height and therefore a tighter head angle too.

any advice please?
Since you asked.....
Any bike with 6" of travel in the rear deserves at least the same in the front.
Just my opinion:thumbsup:

#8 ·
I hear ya,
Getting a little frustrated now though. the Recon's are going back. and I'm looking on ebay and the net for 140mm + lightweight air forks but I have a low budget, so i'm struggling, in the meantime the suntour's I have seems to leak air if I hit anything hard so not really rideable.
I'm looking at RS's Marzocchi's and Fox's,I really want to try to keep the weight under the 2000g mark it ain't looking to good at teh moment.

I keep seeing the Marzocchi RLO forks pretty cheap brand new but I'm hesitant at comments on jamming and the fact that Marzocchi don't recoment you launch off anything larger than a fart with them.

#9 ·
I built up an 08 frame with an 08 Marzocchi 55 ATA which worked very well until it developed issues. Marzocchi just sent me a warranty replacement 2010 55 Micro- ti which after one ride also works very well. I think the best thing you can do for the Reign is run a 160 mm fork.

#10 ·
Thanks, I just won a Marzocchi all mountain 2 150mm on ebay for £101, so pleased with the price let's see how the fork holds up. it's a touch heavier than I hoped for BUT...you gotta face up to the fact that even used, if you want long travel but lightweight you've still gotta pay, all the 44's 55's and fox 32's i saw on ebay went for at least £260, which I know is cheap relative to their new price but I just can't justify spending that much.

#11 ·
kneecap said:

See this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=621176

Same frameset?

#15 ·
kneecap said:

yo kneecap, have you tryed this procedure out on your 08 reign yet? the dhx air hasn't been all that kind to me lately.

#16 ·
gorgechefzeke said:
Hey.
So I'm in the process of changing out the fork my XL Reign 0. Looking at either a Lyrik or a 180mm Totem. Anyone know of pros/cons to either of these forks? Both are 2010 2-step air models. Thanks
i havent seen anyone put a 180mm fork on a reign yet, im curious to see how that'll turn out. i do know guys are loving the totems but those 40mm stanchions might be a bit much for the reign. how about a fox 36 talas or float 180?

#17 ·
murrdogg11 said:
yo kneecap, have you tryed this procedure out on your 08 reign yet? the dhx air hasn't been all that kind to me lately.
Haven't tried the RP on my 08 reign yet, been meaning to. It's been kinda fun to ride the older bike again.:D
Looks like there's even more clearance on the 08 at the seat stay/seat tube junction.
I'll do it & repost....

#21 ·
stefanb said:
Anyone know the ideal size for a coil shock on the rear?

What i2i etc am I looking for?
Stock on the 08 and 09 Reign is 7.875x2.0. The Reign X is 7.875x2.25. I have read that you can use a 7.875x2.25 on the Reign as well without issues. That is the route I will go eventually when I switch to coil.

#22 ·
09 Reign 1

Here is my set up.

Stock 09 Reign 1 size L

Mods so far:

Thomson 70mm 0 rise stem
Sunline V one 745mm (cut to 730mm) bars
Atomlab Pimp Sealed pedals
Chromag Trailmaster DT saddle
Ergon GA-1 grips
Recently dropped the big ring and running an E13 DRS Bash/chain guide
Had to cut down stock seatpost 3" to get the seat to drop more
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Dog breed Spoke

#23 ·
Only a few mods.

2010 Reign 0 (s)
- Ritchey Carbon WCS (from old bike)
- Fizik Grips (Heavier but i like the feel)
- KS i950R (great investment)
- Fizik Gobi Seat (from old bike)
- Mavic Cross Max ST Wheel set (traded in when i got the bike)
- Schwalbe Rear 2.25 Racing Ralph (Rides better than the thicker original at the back)

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
09' Giant Reign 1

I've made a few changes from stock setup.

-Fox 36 Talas RC2 (2010') (this is the most important upgrade, which really widens the bike's potential)
-Fox DHX AIR 4.0 (2.25 stroke, and a small volume air can)
-Truvativ AKA stem 60mm (stock was too short)
-Mavic Crossline wheelset (more of a AM wheelset, and I needed something with a 20mm thru-axle)
-200mm rotors (f+r), which came with the wheelset, and I weigh nearly 95 kgs with gear, so the standard rotors weren't giving enough stopping power.
-Maxxis ardent 2.4 f+r

Benefits from upgrades:

-Slacker head-angle/more travel makes the bike a lot more capable on the descents. The travel adjust is a necessity, however, as I use it all the time for climbing and general riding. If you're going to get 160mm forks, get a travel adjust one for sure. It also makes it more stable at speed, with the longer wheelbase. The stock forks are ok for general trail use, but if you want to hit downhill specific runs, you'll want a bigger fork

-The new shock rarley bottoms (more progressive from the small air can), which was a real problem on the stock Rp2 XV shock. It seems to use the travel better, with more mid-stroke support, and feels significantly smoother. The new shock also gave the Reign 170 mm travel, which once again, gives a smoother ride on downhill specific runs (I do lifted runs with it as well as general AM riding).

-Wheels are stronger/laterally stiff, but are about 300 grams heavier. The tyres are a lot heavier, but are good for the downs (bad for climbing though, but I mainly climb for fitness so it's OK, kind-of).

This bike was pretty awesome to begin with, but, the upgrades I've made have really turned this bike into a real 'all-mountain' bike, which can still climb, but absolutely rips on the descents. It's not as smooth as a dedicated down-hill bike, but, it's about 80% there, compared to around 50%.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.