Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 450 of 709
  1. #401
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboardorblade View Post
    Quite a wordy response to say get the float!
    Thanks for your opinion, is there a specific, less aggressive fork that you would recommend?

  2. #402
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetodd View Post
    Thanks for your opinion, is there a specific, less aggressive fork that you would recommend?
    It's tough to not fall into the trap of believing that you need a different bike for each different stretch of trail you ride, always wondering whether some specific component or the bike itself is overkill or underkill for what you happen to ride.......

    It's your bike and you can change what you want with it, just know that you can reduce the travel on your VAN 36, it's the same exact procedure as most any air sprung for like the float 36 the previous poster recommended, EXCEPT it's only slightly more work to cut the spring...I run my van at 155mm and find it's very well suited to all kinds of terrain...

    The whole coil spring vs. air spring debate comes down to a matter of opinion, (myself I prefer the tradeoff of an extra pound of coil spring weight for the gain in traction/plushness/reliability. With the superior damping of today's shocks the coil isn't just for DH anymore, and the same is true for air, not just for XC anymore...

  3. #403
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    68
    If you really want a Fox 36 (of some variety), onespeedpaul may be on the right track... Instead of spending money on a new fork, modify the one you've got. Although I would be hesitant to cut the spring as it will increase the spring rate. Couldn't you drop in a new 160mm spring?

    Other options to consider (in order of burliness):
    - Pike
    - Fox 34
    - Revelation



    -jm

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

  4. #404
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeboardorblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    302
    +1 for onespeedpaul. Reducing the travel on what you already have is a good idea. If you do want to replace the fork I'd say the Lyrik Solo Air with the RC2DH damper. Lighter lots of adjustments, plush, tough as nails and doesn't require service every 30 hours to still feel great.

    You may find after riding what you have now that you're more than happy with it, and are willing to put up with "too much fork." My buddy has that fork and absolutely loves it.

  5. #405
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    87
    Thanks for the advice so far guys.
    I suppose I should have added that I don't do a ton of aggressive riding at the moment, and all downhill sections I ride, I have to first climb up so that's where my thought to "too much fork" came from.

    I thought maybe the (uphill) disadvantages of the fork might be outweighing the (downhill) advantages.

    If I reduced the travel on my VAN would it be better to cut my existing spring, find an spring in the size I want, or get a used spring and cut it?

    Are there companies that do this type of conversion?

    Would a new, or cut 160mm or 150mm spring give me a noticeable increase in climbing?

    Thanks again!

  6. #406
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    68

    Re: Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)

    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetodd View Post
    Thanks for the advice so far guys.
    I suppose I should have added that I don't do a ton of aggressive riding at the moment, and all downhill sections I ride, I have to first climb up so that's where my thought to "too much fork" came from.
    This discussion is a good one, and probably deserving of it's own thread... Regardless, consider where you ride, what you ride, and your riding experience. Are you fairly new to riding, or have you been riding for years and have a good grasp of your abilities? Average mileage/elevation when you ride? Hucking jumps? Visits to a bike park?

    Based on what you've told us so far, sounds like you pedal everything you ride... In which case, I would generally agree that your fork isn't ideal.


    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetodd View Post
    If I reduced the travel on my VAN would it be better to cut my existing spring, find an spring in the size I want, or get a used spring and cut it?
    Cutting your spring will increase spring rate. In other words, it will make the spring more firm. If you feel your spring is too soft currently, I would say go for it. Worst case scenario is you buy a new spring.

    However, if it were me, I would buy a 160mm spring if you were planning on keeping the 36.


    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetodd View Post
    Are there companies that do this type of conversion?
    Your local bike shop could do the spring swap... Not sure what they would tell you about cutting the spring - they would probably tell you the same thing I did.


    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetodd View Post
    Would a new, or cut 160mm or 150mm spring give me a noticeable increase in climbing?
    It would likely put you in a more comfortable climbing position which may or may not result in "better" climbing. That Fox 36 180mm weighs about 6 lbs. That is a LOT for a bike that spends quite a bit of time climbing. In contrast, the Revelation is less than 4 lbs. Taking 2 lbs off your bike is substantial. But many people would gasp at the sight of a 6" bike on a fork with 32mm stantions like the Rev has. However, if you do a lot of pedalling, and not a lot of hucking, its a great option.

    Let me break it down this way:
    - If your budget is $0, then cut your spring
    - If your budget is extremely limited, buy a new 160mm spring
    - If you want to drop a bunch of weight from your bike, do lots of climbing, and have a few hundred bucks, buy a Revelation
    - If you want to drop a bunch of weight from your bike, do lots of climbing and hard descending, and have a $1000, buy a Pike
    - If you want to drop a good bit of weight from your bike, and really like fox, and have money to burn, buy a fox 34.

    If budget weren't a concern, conventional wisdom dictates the Pike is the best choice at the moment. Super light at nearly 4lbs and burly with 35mm stantions. But your gonna pay the price for it.

    All in all, the closer you come to 150mm, the better your bike will climb. The lighter your fork (and bike) are, the better it will climb.

    -jm


    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

  7. #407
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    437
    I just wanted to chime in again with my own personal experience, I'm 180lbs fully geared up, my fox van R is the 180mm model reduced to 155mm, I had to cut off about three coils from my medium-rate spring, and feel that it is no way oversprung now, I still use all but the last 10-15mm on all but the very most difficult trails i've ridden (@fernie BC this past summer, I came within a close couple mm's of bottom)

    I use a fox VAN RC on the rear with a 450# Ti coil spring (i used steel springs til I figured out what rate suited me best, then picked up this Ti coil off ebay for just under $100)

    Overall my 2011 plain reign is a pretty light XC build (2.3 tires, TL28 rims, XT/X9 drivetrain etc) EXCEPT for the fork and shock, and I still come in at 29.5lbs and only ever notice the heavy fork when hanging the bike up in my garage ceiling at home, ALL the riding time I have on it, it feels very neutral handling and balanced!

  8. #408
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    437
    Forgot to add, that I actually picked up my Van 180 to replace a 36 TALAS 160 that I thought felt HORRIBLE thru it's range of motion...

  9. #409
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by htek View Post
    All in all, the closer you come to 150mm, the better your bike will climb. The lighter your fork (and bike) are, the better it will climb.
    I REALLY appreciate the detailed advice, thanks!

    I am about 10months into riding frequently, so I am pretty new. I am not going to bike parks, I am not hitting jumps (yet?) I am also coming off an injury that sidelined me for almost 2 months, so I am slowly gaining back my confidence and I am not currently charging very hard on downhill type stuff.

    When I bought this bike I figured it would be better to get "more bike" than I currently need and grow into it rather than get "not enough bike"

    I have a nice XC bike (Airborne Goblin) that I love for climbing hills, but it does not inspire confidence going down fast downhill sections or rock gardens. I also didn't want to get something in the "trail bike" category for fear it would be too similar to my Goblin.

    It sounds like my best option at the time would be to get a smaller spring, suck it up and get better at climbing with the Giant.

    I have never had any work like this done. What should a ball park price be for buying a 160mm spring and then getting it installed?

    Thanks again everyone!

  10. #410
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
    ....only ever notice the heavy fork when hanging the bike up in my garage ceiling at home, ALL the riding time I have on it, it feels very neutral handling and balanced!


    I am about 245 fully geared up. I think I need to look into the rims and tires as well. I am pretty new to the upgrade/component world so thanks for bearing with me.

    I don't recall what rims are on the bike off the top of my head, I'll check this evening and report back here.

  11. #411
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    68
    At 245, sticking with the 36 isn't unreasonable. If you were a small guy, I would say the 36 is overkill... Not the case here.

    No idea on the cost... Sorry.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

  12. #412
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    87
    Just contacted a local shop, who then contacted FOX and was told "those are not convertible in travel"

  13. #413
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    68

    Re: Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)

    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetodd View Post
    Just contacted a local shop, who then contacted FOX and was told "those are not convertible in travel"
    Never owned a Fox fork, so I can't say for sure - but I'd be floored if you couldn't drop a 160mm spring in... even if Fox doesn't officially endorse it.

    I'd search the Suspension forum and I'd bet you might find your answer.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

  14. #414
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetodd View Post
    Just contacted a local shop, who then contacted FOX and was told "those are not convertible in travel"
    it is my experience that fox will almost always recommend sending anything to them for repair and to not modify any product of theirs in any way....thank god/allah/theflyingspaghettimonster for liability and all that...

    that said, you can buy a new spring direct from them for $25 +shipping or buy one off ebay, or cut the one you have....

    there are plenty of tutorials here and elsewhere online showing with pics how to reduce the travel on many forks, and they are all almost the same procedure, which is remove the spring side shaft and put a spacer or spacers under the top out plunger.

    the only diversion from what is essentially the same procedure for most all forks is now your coil spring will be too long, so before using a powered cut off wheel, just measure it a few times, put it in a vice and zip it off....I get all fancy with mine and cut it a coil longer, and use a mapp torch to heat the tip and bend it flat, then shave it square and flat like the way it is delivered....really tho, you can just cut it off and use a flap-sanding disc to make the cut smooth....

    hope this helps...I've done a few of my own and a few for friends, if you were local I would help you out too....

  15. #415
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    153
    you should check a dual position coil Sektor.
    it's a great fork, reliable and plenty stiff for a 32. it has adjustable travel, compression adjust and you can upgrade damping to the fancier revelation options if you get the Gold one.
    it is priced modestly as well.

    Lyrik is definitely nicer. I own both, but Lyrik can't match the bang for the buck you get from Sektor.

  16. #416
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3

    2012 Giant Reign 2 upgrades

    I've upgraded a few things, Spank Oozy Evo wheelset, tubeless, XT drive train, Spank Oozy stem, Spank Subrosa bars, saddle, Odi Rogue grips.Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-picture-1591.jpg

  17. #417
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewza View Post
    I've upgraded a few things, Spank Oozy Evo wheelset, tubeless, XT drive train, Spank Oozy stem, Spank Subrosa bars, saddle, Odi Rogue grips.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1591.jpg 
Views:	3481 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	846624
    Nice model mate, imho the nicest looking reign ever put out, but i would say that, ive got the same lol, im just a sucker for flat black, just looks slick...
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  18. #418
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    16
    ...

    And finally/most recently, I removed 5mm from the bottom of my head tube to get the steering angle as close to where I want it as it's going to get with the longer fork and bigger 650b front wheel....

    Hi mate - just wondering how you did this? I am looking to do the same so I can fit a tapered Revelation that I already have on my '08 Reign which has a straight steerer.

    The fork is about 8mm too short once you put the bottom external adapter cup (as discussed on here previously) in. I figure if I can get a few mm reamed from the top and bottom of the head tube I'll be able to get away with it!

    Did you have a go yourself or take it to a shop with a head tube facing tool?

    cheers,
    jezza

  19. #419
    mtbr member
    Reputation: COMMandrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    22
    I picked up a 2013 reign 2 just over a week ago for an absolute bargain. The kid I got it from had put on a standard seat post and BooBars + put high roller 2s on it.

    After a week with me (4 rides later);

    DT Swiss e2200 wheels (front not currently installed as am waiting for adaptor kit)
    Fox DOSS seat post
    Shimano Saint M810 brakes
    Shimano Zee derailleur

    Am currently testing bar width/stem length combos as the frame is a touch shorter than I usually go for but the advantage is the smaller the bike, the easier to throw it around. Once I have the bar/stem sorted, I will be replacing what I currently have (as those parts have come off other bikes lol).

    I also have a RS vivid air (2.25 stroke) in the post.

    Am still trying to find a decently priced set of 160mm forks though. Am half tempted to go to 170mm but I think that will throw everything out too much.

    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-giant-reign-24-nov.jpg
    Australia didn't drift away over thousands of years - Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked it in the face.

  20. #420
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeboardorblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    302
    Any help here? I found a deal on an older Monarch 4.2. It's listed as having the B tune. Is this the tune the Reign needs?

  21. #421
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    14
    after 1 year and half I decided to change some bits for my 2011 Giant Reign 1.
    I've signed for couple of gravity enduros and superD races and I wanted something more enduro-like, so here are the changes:


    Fork: Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti 170mm
    F Wheel: Mavic 321 28mm
    F Hub: Hope Pro 2 20mm
    Handlebar: Giant 750mm (from my DH bike)
    Grips: Odi Lock-on
    Brakes: Shimano XT F&R
    Rotors: Shimano Ice Tech 180mm F&R
    Chainring: Wold tooth 32t
    R Derauiller: Shimano SLX Shadow + (w clutch)
    Tyres: Specialized Butcher Control 2.35 F&R
    Chain: Shimano
    Seat: Ks Ten hydraulic 125mm w remote


    Lucky me when I bought the bike it was on super-sale as last model of year before so I got it for 50% of listed price... with these adds-on i practically spend another same, so pretty happy with this

    and thats how it looks like:

    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-image1.jpgGiant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-image2.jpgGiant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-image3.jpgGiant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-image4.jpgGiant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-image5.jpgGiant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-image6.jpg
    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-image.jpg

  22. #422
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by greatbigjezza View Post
    ...

    And finally/most recently, I removed 5mm from the bottom of my head tube to get the steering angle as close to where I want it as it's going to get with the longer fork and bigger 650b front wheel....

    Hi mate - just wondering how you did this? I am looking to do the same so I can fit a tapered Revelation that I already have on my '08 Reign which has a straight steerer.

    The fork is about 8mm too short once you put the bottom external adapter cup (as discussed on here previously) in. I figure if I can get a few mm reamed from the top and bottom of the head tube I'll be able to get away with it!

    Did you have a go yourself or take it to a shop with a head tube facing tool?

    cheers,
    jezza
    I really don't think there is enough material to remove on the older straight 1-1/8 frames. I would advise getting a fork with a longer steer tube.

  23. #423
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeboardorblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    302
    Finally rid of the awful RP2. Got a RockShox Kage RC. Darn website/computer/operator won't upload.

    in Ogden, Utah, United States - photo by bikeboardorblade - Pinkbike

    in Ogden, Utah, United States - photo by bikeboardorblade - Pinkbike

  24. #424
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    437
    How do you like that new shock?

    I run a VAN RC with a ti spring on mine and it was a big improvement, BUT i'm thinking of trying an Xfusion Vector coil HLR...

  25. #425
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeboardorblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    302
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to put any real time on it yet, just some manuals in the parking lot. Most everything here is snowed in, I'm hoping to make it out within the next couple of weeks. I'll be sure to report on it though.

    I think the Vector would be a great choice, with the added adjustability. If I could have gotten one with my budget I likely would have.

  26. #426
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jb2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    71
    Hey Guys I have a Reign 2011 model & I'm thinking of upgrading the shock,two questions has anyone upgraded from RP2 to new Fox CTD Kashima? If so thoughts?Second question I always understood that the size of my shock on 2011 model is 7.875 x 2.0 for shock but when I measure stroke its 57mm...can anyone confirm that it's a 7.875 x 2.0 as standard? As I'm really confused why I'm measuring 57mm
    Life's too short to be soft

  27. #427
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeboardorblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    302
    If its of any help I switched my 2011 to a 200x57 shock. The eye to eye on both are the same, so you can use either 200x50 or 200x57. Switching to the 57 spoke gives you about 3/4 inch more travel.

  28. #428
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2011 View Post
    Hey Guys I have a Reign 2011 model & I'm thinking of upgrading the shock,two questions has anyone upgraded from RP2 to new Fox CTD Kashima? If so thoughts?Second question I always understood that the size of my shock on 2011 model is 7.875 x 2.0 for shock but when I measure stroke its 57mm...can anyone confirm that it's a 7.875 x 2.0 as standard? As I'm really confused why I'm measuring 57mm
    Most 7.875x2 (200x50) shocks show 57mm on the shaft, BUT if you let ALL the air out and fully compress the shock you will see that it only uses 2" (~50mm) leaving the final .25 (~6-7mm) exposed unlike the 2.25 (57) shocks which when compressed fully cover the shaft...Hope that helps!

    **late edit** IF it is the case that your shock does travel the full 57mm, (2.25) then great, upgrade it with either size of your choice! I personally upgraded mine with a 7.875x2.25 fox VAN RC w/ti coil...

  29. #429
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jb2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
    Most 7.875x2 (200x50) shocks show 57mm on the shaft, BUT if you let ALL the air out and fully compress the shock you will see that it only uses 2" (~50mm) leaving the final .25 (~6-7mm) exposed unlike the 2.25 (57) shocks which when compressed fully cover the shaft...Hope that helps!

    **late edit** IF it is the case that your shock does travel the full 57mm, (2.25) then great, upgrade it with either size of your choice! I personally upgraded mine with a 7.875x2.25 fox VAN RC w/ti coil...
    Thanks this makes sense, good deal on a 7.875 X 2.00 so worth giving it a try i think. Do you notice the extra travel ? Any positives or negatives?
    Life's too short to be soft

  30. #430
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2011 View Post
    Thanks this makes sense, good deal on a 7.875 X 2.00 so worth giving it a try i think. Do you notice the extra travel ? Any positives or negatives?
    It's a subtle difference with no negatives...In my opinion using the 2" stroke shock has slightly more perceptible pop off bumps, and using the 2.25 feels slightly more bottomless, so I look at it as more of a matter of tuning the bike to how I like to ride (XC/AM) and that's me preferring about 30% sag with good small bump sensitivity, high traction, and bottomless feel, so I choose 2.25 stroke on my Reigns...

  31. #431
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10
    Posted this in another section too, but it might get a bit more attention here.
    Does anyone think a 2011 Reign can accept a rear triangle from a 2012-2013 reign x or perhaps from a 2013-2014 trance, trance x 650b?
    The purpose for asking is that i want to convert my 2011 reign 2 to 650b but still having enough room to install a 2.35"-2.4" tyre and also having a maxle back there.

  32. #432
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2
    Hi everyone!

    Here is my Reign 2, 2013 with some modifications:

    - Rock Shox Lyrik RC2 DH, 170mm travel
    - Shimano SLX brakes, 180/180 rotors
    - FUNN FatBoy (760mm) and Funnduro (30mm)
    - Leonardi Factory General Lee wide ratio cassette adapter
    - Blackspire wide narrow chainring (32T)
    - Shimano Saint pedals
    - Selle Italia seat
    - Maxxis minion tyres

    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-img_20140305_080108.jpg

  33. #433
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    392
    Great bike. Are you happy with the Lyrik? Is it air or coil? I am thinking to buy one for my Reign as well.

  34. #434
    mtbr member
    Reputation: I_AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    205
    Looking to upgrade the rear shock on my Reign 2 to a spring shock. Any recommendations and what size am I looking for? Thanks.

  35. #435
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeboardorblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    302
    I recently put the RockShox Kage RC on, in the 200x57 option, and I love it. I have a 2011 Reign, and it has been a big improvement. As others have noted it isn't as poppy, but it tracks sooo much better and seems to use is travel much more efficiently. The Reign wasn't made to race uphill to begin with, but I don't feel it has negatively affected is pedalability.

  36. #436
    mtbr member
    Reputation: I_AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    205
    Thanks. How do I know which length to buy?

  37. #437
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeboardorblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    302
    Either the 200x50 or the 200x57 fit. The latter gives you about 3/4" more travel. Others here may have additional insight, but my suggestion would be if you are running a 150mm fork go with the 200x50. If you have a 160 or 170mm fork go with the 200x57. I think that will be more balanced.

  38. #438
    mtbr member
    Reputation: I_AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    205
    What is the eye to eye length? 7.875?

    EDIT: NVM found it.

  39. #439
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeboardorblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    302
    200 or 7.875.

  40. #440
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    Great bike. Are you happy with the Lyrik? Is it air or coil? I am thinking to buy one for my Reign as well.
    I'm very happy with the Lyrik. It's an air fork. Some people say coil is better, but I haven't ride it yet. Overall it's a great fork for that money, especially if you're buying an used one.

  41. #441
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadida View Post
    I'm very happy with the Lyrik. It's an air fork. Some people say coil is better, but I haven't ride it yet. Overall it's a great fork for that money, especially if you're buying an used one.
    Thank you. I am still between air and coil since there are pros & cons in both options.

  42. #442
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    Looking to upgrade the rear shock on my Reign 2 to a spring shock. Any recommendations and what size am I looking for? Thanks.
    Before considering coil (don't get me wrong they have been reported to be very good on the Reign), look at replacing the stock Fox shock with a better one.

    I went through the Fox RP2, RP23, then had the RP23 tuned, in the end a stock Monarch Plus RC3 was better, and better again is the X-Fusion HLR Air. Never try the Cane Creek, but most seem to report excellent performance with it.

    Good luck and have fun upgrading.

  43. #443
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,667
    I'm going to disagree with the shorter fork/shorter-stroke shock "balance" advice. Go with the longer stroke shock. There is no downside really - the i2i is the same so the geometry is *exactly* the same between the two. The only difference is more travel. And who doesn't love MOAR TRAVEL?

  44. #444
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    Thank you. I am still between air and coil since there are pros & cons in both options.
    There are definitely pros and cons.

    Biggest pros for me were:

    Better performance (perhaps perceived?)
    Simpler (no effing with the shock - I like that)

  45. #445
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    There are definitely pros and cons.

    Biggest pros for me were:

    Better performance (perhaps perceived?)
    Simpler (no effing with the shock - I like that)
    Yes I agree.

    I prefer the coil for the reasons you mentioned but the air Lyrik and Vivd will be lighter and easier to adjust since I wont need to change coils to try different settings.

    I currently have a Domain and Kage (both coil) and despite the fact that they have only some basic settings I really like then but I would like to have more settings to fine tune the bike's performance.

    Anyway I am still thinking about it.

  46. #446
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    Yes I agree.

    I prefer the coil for the reasons you mentioned but the air Lyrik and Vivd will be lighter and easier to adjust since I wont need to change coils to try different settings.
    Yup - these are definite cons.

    I currently have a Domain and Kage (both coil) and despite the fact that they have only some basic settings I really like then but I would like to have more settings to fine tune the bike's performance.
    I've got a simple old Fox Van-R.

    Found a Ti spring in the correct weight and I'm happy as a clam.


  47. #447
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    392
    A ti spring is also an option I consider. My main issue with both the Domain & Kage is that they are the base R models instead of the RC so they don't have a compression damper.

    So currently there are 4 options.
    1. Keep the fork & shock as they are and save my money.
    2. Internally upgrade Domain to RC and buy a Kage RC for a total cost of 300 euros for both.
    3. Buy a Lyrik and Vivid both coil for a total cost of 1000 euros.
    4. Buy a Lyrik and Vivid both air for a total cost of 1150 euros or a Lyrik and Monarch Plus for 1.000 euros.

    The good thing is that there are a lot of options available but I am afraid that I am close to the "paralysis of analysis" effect.

  48. #448
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    A ti spring is also an option I consider. My main issue with both the Domain & Kage is that they are the base R models instead of the RC so they don't have a compression damper.

    So currently there are 4 options.
    1. Keep the fork & shock as they are and save my money.
    2. Internally upgrade Domain to RC and buy a Kage RC for a total cost of 300 euros for both.
    3. Buy a Lyrik and Vivid both coil for a total cost of 1000 euros.
    4. Buy a Lyrik and Vivid both air for a total cost of 1150 euros or a Lyrik and Monarch Plus for 1.000 euros.

    The good thing is that there are a lot of options available but I am afraid that I am close to the "paralysis of analysis" effect.
    So option #1, then?

  49. #449
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    So option #1, then?
    1 or 2 because I really need the low speed compression and 300 euros are really affordable.

  50. #450
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    1 or 2 because I really need the low speed compression and 300 euros are really affordable.
    Damn you rich Europeans!

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •