Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I just picked up a reign about 3 weeks ago after having owned a 4" travel trance for going on 5 years. The trance did me well, but I honestly wanted more as I started gaining more confidence. I can safely say now after about a dozen rides that I made the right decision. Nothing too crazy mod-wise yet, but anyways-

- M970 XTR cranks, very soon to be X0 2x9, Just waiting for my blackspire bashguard to arrive.
    - candy 2 pedals (I have some mallets for lift-assist days)
    - EA90 stem, 100mm 0 rise for most days, Havoc 70mm/10 for big days.
    - EA70 monkeybar, mid-rise.

I'm lacing up a set of Hope pro2's to Arch rims as we speak, I just need to pick a tire to run with them. I'll probably keep two wheelsets for normal and Dh'ish days. I enjoy wrenching to a fault, so swapping parts doesn't bother me much at all.

I'm also highly considering ditching the stock seat for a fizik pave. I don't know what anyone else thinks about running a road saddle on an AM rig, but I'm still not used to the seat-shape, and switching from road to mountain sends my backside into complete confusion.

pics-

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I've changed too many items!!!!

I bought a 2012 Reign 0 & was pretty darn happy with it initially. Then I started riding more technical trails and I was wishing for more travel. The Reign 0 is an awesome all mountain bike, but my terrain got harder, I began to wish for a Reign X. So here is my transformation to my version of the Reign X

1st on the changed out list was wider bars (29.5"), Shorter stem (50mm), angle set (1degree slacker) and new grips! I love the Funn stuff, cheap and bomb proof! Not pictured is a Reverb post! And I hate noise, so that's why there is foam protection all over the place.

Then came the 2010 Marzocchi 55 RC3 TI 160mm & Sun Ringle Charger Expert wheelset

Then the Vivid RC2 200x57 rear shock, which bumps the travel to 6.7"

The next item is chain management. I went to the 3x10 SLX & converted the big ring to a bash ring & installed a BIONICON chain guide. Bike is now incredible quiet & no more chain derailment issues

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    how does your chain guide attach? I need to do this to my 2011 0

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The direction shows only 2 zip ties on each end, but I found out the hard way this guide needs 4 zip ties. With 4 zip ties, it works extremely well!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbiker View Post
    I bought a 2012 Reign 0 & was pretty darn happy with it initially. Then I started riding more technical trails and I was wishing for more travel. The Reign 0 is an awesome all mountain bike, but my terrain got harder, I began to wish for a Reign X. So here is my transformation to my version of the Reign X

mtbbiker - that looks good even with the foam. How much time do you have on the Vivid Air. What are your thoughts. I have a Vivid Air on FR bike and with only a couple of rides don't yet have enough time to say if I like it or not.

Never really thought a Vivid Air would fit on the Reign. I am awaiting a Monarch Plus RC3 for my Reign, hopefully that will improve the bike in the really technical terrain over what the RP23 can manage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I

where did you get the foam from might I ask

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just got it the other day and I've only gotten one ride on it so far. One of my biggest gripes about the Fox RP23 is that it blows through its travel way too easy! I weight about 200lbs & had about 250psi with the shim mod in the air can, that made a little improvement.

I'm still playing with the Vivid adjustment, but it no longer blows through the travel! I on purposely hit a 4 foot to flat & got the rear shock to finally give up all its travel & I didn't even feel it bottom out. A hit like that with the RP23 would have resulted in serious feeling bottoming out issue! The shock has more mid range support, but I still need to tweak some more. I started out with about 240psi this afternoon & it felt slightly harsher then the RP23. When I got home, I reset the pressure to 230psi. I can tell this shock once I get it dialed in will easily out perform the RP23
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall View Post
    mtbbiker - that looks good even with the foam. How much time do you have on the Vivid Air. What are your thoughts. I have a Vivid Air on FR bike and with only a couple of rides don't yet have enough time to say if I like it or not.

Never really thought a Vivid Air would fit on the Reign. I am awaiting a Monarch Plus RC3 for my Reign, hopefully that will improve the bike in the really technical terrain over what the RP23 can manage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I got it from a local shop in Temecula, CA called ISO Tune. The product is called Frame Defender.
    Home | Frame Defender

Quote Originally Posted by trdspectacoma View Post
    where did you get the foam from might I ask

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks

Aficionated Member
    My last modification, BOS Deville
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-reign_bos_golf.jpg  

Enjoy your rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    woopse

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My Giant Reign 1 2011.
    Fox Van 36 180 RC2 Fit
    Fox DHX RC4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-photo.jpg  

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-photo-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Just put on the Joplin and love it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I just got it the other day and I've only gotten one ride on it so far. One of my biggest gripes about the Fox RP23 is that it blows through its travel way too easy! I weight about 200lbs & had about 250psi with the shim mod in the air can, that made a little improvement.

I'm still playing with the Vivid adjustment, but it no longer blows through the travel! I on purposely hit a 4 foot to flat & got the rear shock to finally give up all its travel & I didn't even feel it bottom out. A hit like that with the RP23 would have resulted in serious feeling bottoming out issue! The shock has more mid range support, but I still need to tweak some more. I started out with about 240psi this afternoon & it felt slightly harsher then the RP23. When I got home, I reset the pressure to 230psi. I can tell this shock once I get it dialed in will easily out perform the RP23
    mtbbiker - how is the Vivid Air breaking in.

So far I only have one ride on the Monarch RC3. Had set it up a 30% sag, but part way down the first descent I dropped the air pressure from 210 - 200psi which increased the sag close to 35%. Felt much better, still pedaled very well. I read in another post that the RS shocks need quite a few rides to fully break in and feel at their best.

Hadn't really noticed the C-Guide you were running until now. I have one on order and it should be in place for the next ride. I have already shortened up the chain as much as possible and had considered getting a Stinger BB mount chain guide, that would work with my 2010 Reign. From what I read the C-Guide is a much better solution. I can't recall the last time I dropped a chain, but the chain slap in annoying and hopefully the C-Guide will fix this.

Also, how have you been finding the Charger wheelset. I am also running these. Overall, I am finding them reasonably stiff, but perhaps not as stiff as my previous wheelset with Hope Pro II and Syncos DP25 rims. I wanted to run tubeless so I changed out the Charger's when CRC was selling them off.

cheers

2010 Glory custom FR
    I was looking for a nice and cheap chain device for my GFs 2012 Reign 2. I knew there were some solutions on the market, but Specialized Dangler was not available locally, Bionicon C-Guide was too expensive, IMO and Exustar... local distro didn't even know such product :|
    So, I went through shop's warehouse, found some reflective lights clamps, some rubber strips and some bolts. I assembled everything together and I got this

Rubber silencer wears pretty fast, coz it's regular rubber, but it's replaceable.
    Money spent - zero
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by frango View Post
    I was looking for a nice and cheap chain device for my GFs 2012 Reign 2. I knew there were some solutions on the market, but Specialized Dangler was not available locally, Bionicon C-Guide was too expensive, IMO and Exustar... local distro didn't even know such product :|
    So, I went through shop's warehouse, found some reflective lights clamps, some rubber strips and some bolts. I assembled everything together and I got this

Rubber silencer wears pretty fast, coz it's regular rubber, but it's replaceable.
    Money spent - zero

frango - nice work. I am kicking myself that I didn't think of that. I just ordered a C-Guide from my LBS. Perhaps I will built one of the ghetto c-guide for my big bike. I have a stinger on it to keep from dropping a chain, but still have some chain slap.

Do you need to run the soft rubber grommet at all. The harder plastic is likely similar to what is used in the official C-Guide.

Again, props for putting forward such a simple solution and cost effective solution that no one had come up with.

2010 Glory custom FR
    Thx, rideitall. I was really surprised how it all nicely fitted the bike
    My GF spend just two days riding on some light DH tracks, but I think the device did its job. I will disassemble it for city rides, coz the chain will certainly eat lower clamp.
    Oh, upper clamp diameter is 30mm (original from Reign and other Giant bikes with 30,9 seatpost) and lower i 22mm (from a kids bike).
    pozdro
    frango

Eat, Poop, Pedal.

New Drivetrain..

I replaced the stock 3ring to a 2ring 24t/36t with a Straitline Bash with Straitline pedals... I'm VERY happy with this setup so far! I believe the next upgrade will be a Bionicon chain guide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-reigncc.jpg  

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-reigndd.jpg  

2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

2010 Reign Updates

Here is my 2010 Reign 0

I got the bike as a frame only and transferred gear from my previous trail bike.

Sun Charger Expert wheels run tubeless with Schwalbe tires
    Replaced my older XT with a newer set
    Replaced RP23 with Monarch RC3, have one ride on it.
    Added Bionicon C-Guide

Off to test it out tomorrow after work.

I am quite happy how the bike is setup, built to take some abuse, with some pretty heavy duty rubber to handle the steep, rocky and muddy terrain, and still just above 31.5 lbs as she sits. Here is how she looks now.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-p1040438.jpg  

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-p1040445.jpg  

fraid of heights
    This may have already been posted, and obviously there are guides like the bionicon to purchase. But for a quick fix to chain drop that is super cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by nyrangerfan222 View Post
    if im not mistake i believe that is the "zip tie" chain guide seen here
    ZIP TIE Chain Guide how to - Pinkbike Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Nozes View Post
    Sorry for the delay,guys,I've been out for the weekend

The chainguide was found at Pinkbike (it's good for something after all!),just follow the link posted by nyrangerfan222,it's very easy to build.

Here's a closer look:

Now for the shocking truth: IT WORKS!
    Weights next to nothing,and in my case,didnīt cost a cent. So what if it doesn't look good,it's a keeper!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Here's my new steed.
    180mm fox, XO shifters/ Derailleur, XT cranks, Avid Elixers, Sunline bars, Answer stem..etc.

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by Largextracheese View Post
    Here's my new steed.
    180mm fox, XO shifters/ Derailleur, XT cranks, Avid Elixers, Sunline bars, Answer stem..etc.

that second pic sure makes the bike look over forked, but maybe it's just the angle?

But the real question is where were you riding at??? Beautiful!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It's slack no doubt. It does wander a bit on the steep climbs but not enough to negate the downhill goodness the fork delivers. I'm in the Washington Cascades. The riding here really sucks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    here is my mod

Frame: 2011 Giant Reign
    Fork: 2012 RS Lyrik Soloair DH 170mm
    Crank: Race Face Turbine 24/36 + bash
    Chain Guide: Bionicon C.guide
    Front Derailleur: Shimano SLX 3x9 (for now)
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT 10 Speed
    Cassette: Shimano XT 10 Speed
    Shifter: 2012 Shimano XT 10 Speed
    Rear Shock: Fox DHX Air 5.0
    Wheelset: 2012 Mavic Crossmax SX
    Tires: Schwalbe 2.25 Nobby Nic UST
    Steam: X-tasy 70mm (gift from Tomas Slavik)
    Handle Bar: Easton EA 70
    Seat Post: Kind Shock 100mm travel
    Saddle: Fi'zi:k Gobi XM (Giant LTD Edition) w/ K:ium Rails
    Brakes: 2012 Shimano XT Trail
    Rotors: Hope Saw Floating Disc red 203mm front & 183mm back
    Pedals: Shimano PD-M647
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-91268.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2008

My 2008 Reign 2. Owned since new. Love the way it rides, and is still virtually unchanged.

Recently converted the stock WTB Laserdisc Trail wheels to tubeless with some WTB Prowler MX 2.3 front and rear. For the pedals I went with some SPD clipless, but after those recently had a bearing failure, I went with some Eggbeaters.
    Last edited by el_roy1985; 08-08-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast