Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I see, clearance may have seemed tight, but was not an issue during a 5hr ride yesterday

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

5 hr Bliss

You might want to add an on the fly adjust seat post to your rig. It's been a game changer. Lot m ore fun.slight weight penalty but well worth it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    me personally, always ran my mtb seats a tad low anyways, but yeah nvr hurts to try, besides its static weight localized right in the center of gravity, be tough to notice that weight

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Post choices

I dont really notice the weight but I have a bunch of weenie pals that resist the swap. If you go the preowned route (they are expensive new) , make sure you choose a company that is reliable. The 1st gen Crank brothers Joplins are bad that have a reputation for alot of warranties. You apparently can be grabbed pick up your bike by the saddle or the post will just extend and/or just spin freely and fail to decompress w/ out rebleeding.(big mess) So far I love the Command Post by Specialized (130.00). Ive had it a year with no problems. It's the only mechanical air/cable post that's been proven. The KS i-series/RS Reverb/ or Xfusion hyrdrailic ones are all supposed to be Very stable and reliable. I think Giant just released an in house one for the 2012 Reigns too. To be fair to CB, they have a new post coming out that is air/cable mechanized.And I LOVE my CB Iodine wheels!!! The new posts are like $300.00+/-. I would go with a trusted preowned one. sorry for the rant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
    mods to my '11 reign, pretty much a frame up build:

650b rear wheel

revelation 140mm 29er (g2 offset) fork and 29er wheel

should have a 2.25 stroke shock to install later this week, may have it tuned to shorten the eye-to-eye .25 keeping it at 2" stroke but lower the bb and slack the HA
    wow.. unique build out.. just back into researching bikes..just bought a new reign.. Still been riding these last few years but checked out from the new trends..seems like they are

1.) 1x10 or 2x10 drivetrains.. pretty much everywhere I read people leaving the 3 ring set up..makes sense I suppose.. I might try a 1x10 on the reign, though granny is nice now and then.. dont see the point of 2x10?? maybe missing something..basically a 3 ring with a bash guard?

2.) dropper seat-post... I mean everyone I talk too claims this is a must have..really???.. I guess I need to check it.. seems like a fad..but maybe its the sh^%4t! I would have never guess that people would be willing to gain weight for an automatic seatpost.. but sounds really transforming.. and the people who hype it to me are hardcore bikers..

3.) 650b wheel... what the hell! lol.. that one threw me for a loop.. still not sure why that is better than a 26 or a niner? just the sweet spot.. why not a 28.3 inch wheel?

anyway... how does that bike work compared to a standard 26 wheel build? why did you make those choices? geometry? steering ? rolling? weight?

hope this doesn't come off as critical.. not at all.. I'm super curious.. all these changes in the last few years ..its intriguing!

one last thing if I do go 1x10.. anyone know the definitive set up for reign chain guide.. I read a lot about the pressed BB.. would you go with the MRP direct mount?

thanks..

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    1) i still ride 3x9. i shift between the front 3 more than up and down the rear, when i rode 1x9, just hated shifting all the time

2) i don't have one....i think i mentioned in a previous post, i probably run my offroad seatpost 1/2-3/4" lower than i would on a road bike....it's silly to me that i have a friend or two still set up their MTB cockpit same as their road, oh well not for me to judge.

3) been riding a 650b on the front since 2008, just makes sense to me to have a slightly larger front wheel than rear, and about a year and half ago built up a trance 96er, rode well enough, but i really prefer either 650bfr/26rr or 29fr/650brr

i rode my reign a couple short rides 29/26 and for some reason just felt a tad less balanced than the trance it replaced even though it was 29/26 too, could have been the longer travel slacker angles? swapped out the for for bigger offset (G2) and rear wheel for 650b and now it suits me.

weight is still lighter than the reign as-delivered (26/26) but i built up light/strong (TL28) wheels and run them ghetto tubeless, swapped all my other semi-fancy parts from the trance...

as far as 1x10, make sure your front ring is for singlespeed, meaining no shift ramps, tall teeth. run as thin a bashguard as you can get (why do they call them that? any bash you get on it could bend your crank spider, personally i'd rather bend the ring or guard....) and some sort of inner chain retention, probably best to go with one of the seat tube clamp types like problem solvers makes, it's a nice little plastic clamp with a stainless L-shaped piece that you can adjust right up to your chain in the highest gear. paul components makes a good one too, just costs four times as much, BUT if i'm not mistaken allows you to just run the chainring with no outer bashguard thingy..

the reign is super versatile as shown by my build, great bike at fraction of the cost of a mojo or similar (also a very adaptable bike, loads of dudes riding them 650 fr/rr)

hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
    1) i still ride 3x9. i shift between the front 3 more than up and down the rear, when i rode 1x9, just hated shifting all the time

2) i don't have one....i think i mentioned in a previous post, i probably run my offroad seatpost 1/2-3/4" lower than i would on a road bike....it's silly to me that i have a friend or two still set up their MTB cockpit same as their road, oh well not for me to judge.

3) been riding a 650b on the front since 2008, just makes sense to me to have a slightly larger front wheel than rear, and about a year and half ago built up a trance 96er, rode well enough, but i really prefer either 650bfr/26rr or 29fr/650brr

i rode my reign a couple short rides 29/26 and for some reason just felt a tad less balanced than the trance it replaced even though it was 29/26 too, could have been the longer travel slacker angles? swapped out the for for bigger offset (G2) and rear wheel for 650b and now it suits me.

weight is still lighter than the reign as-delivered (26/26) but i built up light/strong (TL28) wheels and run them ghetto tubeless, swapped all my other semi-fancy parts from the trance...

as far as 1x10, make sure your front ring is for singlespeed, meaining no shift ramps, tall teeth. run as thin a bashguard as you can get (why do they call them that? any bash you get on it could bend your crank spider, personally i'd rather bend the ring or guard....) and some sort of inner chain retention, probably best to go with one of the seat tube clamp types like problem solvers makes, it's a nice little plastic clamp with a stainless L-shaped piece that you can adjust right up to your chain in the highest gear. paul components makes a good one too, just costs four times as much, BUT if i'm not mistaken allows you to just run the chainring with no outer bashguard thingy..

the reign is super versatile as shown by my build, great bike at fraction of the cost of a mojo or similar (also a very adaptable bike, loads of dudes riding them 650 fr/rr)

hope this helps!
    Cool thanks.. funny I thought the 1X10 would allow me to shift less.. anyway I can try it pretty easliy with the stock setup i believe.. In theory I understand using a non ramped chain ring but whats the difference between riding that w/1x or 3x.. wear I'm guessing? I thought the ramped only helped with shifting..

I might not be strong enough yet for a 1x10 on the reign.. time will tell.. love the idea of never dropping (or rarely) a chain.. but I was looking at the Accessoires

looks like it could be cool..just wish they would price it within reason!..lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    sure there's no chain guide, but like i said earlier, paul components makes a real nice clamp on one, as well as the super cheap yet effective clamp on problem solvers part.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm pretty sure that if you go with a 2011 or newer, you may have problems with 1x10 or 1x9. The new reigns don't have Chain guide tabs and the press fit BB's cannot accept a BB mounted chain guide. you need to run a front derlr to keep your chain on. The Reign X's , however, do have chain guide tabs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantaber View Post
    I'm pretty sure that if you go with a 2011 or newer, you may have problems with 1x10 or 1x9. The new reigns don't have Chain guide tabs and the press fit BB's cannot accept a BB mounted chain guide. you need to run a front derlr to keep your chain on. The Reign X's , however, do have chain guide tabs.
    I was looking at these.. the direct mount version specifically..

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...t-mount-45186]

with a 1x setup

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    ?? that link showed nothing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    yes , that works. there is also a seperate tensioner wheel that fastens to the chainstay near where the chain rolls off the chainring. those 2 should adress the chain guide issue. Or you could get an 09 like I did. Either way, you're gonna love the Reign.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    yes , that works. there is also a seperate tensioner wheel that fastens to the chainstay near where the chain rolls off the chainring. those 2 should adress the chain guide issue. Or you could get an 09 like I did. Either way, you're gonna love the Reign.
    Picked up a reign 1 2011 on closout last weekend! probably stay with the 3 x setup for a bit but tempted to try the 1x ... Why I'm trying to track down the best option for that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Awesome. sounds like you got a great deal. Maybe just add the bash guard then and ditch that giant chainring. you could add the small tension wheell on the bottom. This will cut down on all the noisy, messy chain slap. Just make it a 2x9.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Awesome. sounds like you got a great deal. Maybe just add the bash guard then and ditch that giant chainring. you could add the small tension wheell on the bottom. This will cut down on all the noisy, messy chain slap. Just make it a 2x9.
    Can you recommend a bash guard for the SLX cranks.. thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    K think I got it.. going to try a 2x10 with a bash first.. then maybe a 1x down the line..

just bought bash:

http://www.bbgbashguard.com/images/IMG_2585.JPG

and

Guide:

Accessoires

The bionicon is on BO until end of march.. I'll report back with findings after I receive..

cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Mainitou Swinger 4-Way?

I have a recently rebuilt Mainitou Swinger 4-Way from an old VT. From k1creekereye's recent post it looks like to eye length is 7.5" and stroke is 2.0"

Upper hardware: 22.2mm x 6mm
    Lower hardware: 50mm x 8mm

Could I transfer this over to a 2008 Reign and would it be a good shock compared to the stock RP3?
    Thanks in Advance!
    Video Production for Energy & The Environment
    www.levelaproductions.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I replaced my RP23 for a DHX. They are 7.875 X 2.0 stroke for 6 inches travel or X 2.25 for 6 5/8 travel. The 09 Reign linkage is compatible with either stroke. The BB height gets affected by a half inch higher with the longer stroke , though. 14inches high, I think. Some people will post their Ads as 8inches eye to eye, but that's incorrect. There is no such eye to eye measurement of a flat 8.0inches, thus far. If somebody lists one as 8.0 inches, it usually means 7.875 or 7 7/8 inches (it's so close to 8 inches people just say 8.) hope this helps

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I replaced my RP23 for a DHX. They are 7.875 X 2.0 stroke for 6 inches travel or X 2.25 for 6 5/8 travel. The 09 Reign linkage is compatible with either stroke. The BB height gets affected by a half inch higher with the longer stroke , though. 14inches high, I think. Some people will post their Ads as 8inches eye to eye, but that's incorrect. There is no such eye to eye measurement of a flat 8.0inches, thus far. If somebody lists one as 8.0 inches, it usually means 7.875 or 7 7/8 inches (it's so close to 8 inches people just say 8.) hope this helps
    The BB height is *not* changed by the longer stroke shock. A different i2i would affect BB height - but not a different stroke.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Skared's right, I forgot. The i to i remains 7.875 so the BB height is unchanged. The high BB feel of the 09 does feel on the tall side. It's just inherent in the design. It is around 14", though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall View Post
    Will get pics up shortly but here is the detail on my ride.

2008 Reign 1 - Medium

Picked up as frame, with RP2 shock. Changed out to a RP23 that I had from another bike, but was never happy as it felt quite harsh. Had the PP level dropped down a little and changed the air can to use a DHX-A. This change felt better still seemed to lack something.

After some messing about I finally got a X-Fusion 02-PVA, did one ride, but changed it up a little, so the real first ride is tonight. What I did notice is the 02-PVA is more lively, allows you to get a little more pop yet be controlled in the travel. Time will tell how it works out.

For wheels I run a set of Easton Havocs with smaller 2.2 Mountain King tires. Grip is okay on the dry, but not enough tread for the wet and scary on wet roots and things. On the front best to avoid loose or wet condtions. My other wheelset is Hope hubs on Syncros rims with 2.25 Advantage on the back and either 2.4 Ardent or 2.35 WTB on the front. Still looking for that tire this fairly light yet has a stronger sidewall, say something like a real 2.35 or 2.4 front will 1.5 ply.

Recently changed the fork from a Manitou Nixon 160 IT, to a Fox Talas 160 and am liking the additional stiffness on the Fox. Bike is reasonably slack but would love to have an 09 or 10 frame an an extra degree slacker.

Have been running a KS I-900 seatpost for a while and consider it a must have. My knees and back really notice when I don't have an adjustable seatpost.

Shortened up the stem and am running an Easton Vice 60 or 65mm and run a wide riser bar with about 40-50 rise.

Haven't bothered to switch back to my clipless pedals for quite sometime, so I pretty much run the flats with my 5-10.

The most recent change was to move from a 22-32-44 to a 22-34 w/bashguard. The 32 didn't provide enough range without the big ring, so I moved up to 34. Not to certain if I could have run a 36 front even with the 11-34 cassette might prove too much.

Enough blabbering. Will get pics up in the next couple of days.

Well I never did get the pictures up on the 2008 frame. Have moved most of the parts over to a 2010 frame with a couple of upgrades.

Replaced my old Shimano XT's with a new set and just yesterday installed a new wheelset with some shiny new Schwalbe tires. Running a Hans Dampf on the back and a Muddy Mary on the front. Bike is built as a solid AM rig, weighs in at just over 31.5lbs, not bad for what it can handle.

Here are a couple of shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-p1040374.jpg  

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-p1040375.jpg  

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-p1040376.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hey guys, not sure if I have set up my bike wrongly or what but I am riding a 2009 small Reign 2, my current shock is a FOX DHX Air 5.0 7.875 x 2.25 but when I full compress the rear shock, the seat tube and the swing arm is knocks into each other. Anyone else having this problem?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    On my large sized frame there is plenty of clearance at full comp with 2.25 stroke shock, could be because of it being a small size

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Reigning Monarch

Fun title anyway. Was out for a ride the other night, and despite a few trail side adjustments I could not get the front and rear suspension to feel right.

On the previous ride, I had added about 5 psi front (Talas 36) and back (RP23), and it felt good, great actually. So I checked the pressure and made sure it was at the same level and off I went. The climb up on the fire road felt okay, but no real test on the suspension. The decent was a technical XC blast that varied from slow root and steep roll slopes to fast flowing and bumpy section, littered of course with a few climbs as well. It could have been one of those days where nothing was going to feel right, but it really felt like I was getting bounced around a lot more than the usual.

So impulse buy to the rescue, I ordered a Rock Shox Monarch RC3 Plus for my 2010 Reign. Went with a medium tune with the regular air can. From what I was able to search out the higher volume air cans are not as good on the Reign or most bikes with a leverage ratio of over 2.5:1. Hopefully, this will end up being one of those, "WOW, I am glad I did that" moments and not one of those "What the hell was I thinking"

Will report back in a week or so when the shock gets in.

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast