Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 554
  1. #101
    24v
    24v is offline
    Scratch That Itch
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by Evader 53

    Anything I should absolutely upgrade on the bike?


    I would fix that front brake line before you rip it out.

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by campisi
    I'm running a 2.25 DHX on my 08 Reign. Moved the derailleur up a bit, no problems. I'm thinking of going back to 1X9, it used to be 1X9 but I got tired of the exhausting climbs. Now after a year or so, I'm tired of hearing my chain bang all over the frickin derailleur when I come down. I miss the golden silence of a tech descent with 1X9 and chain tensioner. Never happy!
    solution: I just bought another bike, lol. Got me a glory for the gravity stuff and my reign will take on everything else. Now if I could only figure out how to bring both with me on a ride
    Be Fast.

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by 24v
    Here is my bike, and all of its current mods.

    09 Reign 1
    -Hayes Stroker Ace brakes 203/180 (I like these much better than the stock elixirs)
    -Hope hubs with Spank Rims and DT spokes (heavier than stock WTB wheels, but also stiffer)
    -Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 dual ply tires(similiar traction to the stock Nevegals, more durable sidewall)
    -Shimano SLX crankset (I like the gearing better(36/22), and have no need for a big ring)
    -Ethirteen DRS Bash/Chain Guide (works great to keep the chain on when going over rocky terrain)
    -Kona Wah Wah pedals (bike came with clipless, not my thing)
    -Crank Bros Joplin seatpost (a must have for any bike imho)
    -WTB Rocket V seat (much better on my ass than that horrible Fizik seat)
    -Thomson 70mm 0 rise stem (stock 90mm was too long, the 70 is much better for downhill riding, and only slightly worse for climbing)
    -RaceFace Atlas FR Bars(I cut them down to 710mm. The extra width, and lower rise fits me better than the stock mid rise RaceFace)


    how in the world did you rig the chain guide up? i would love to put one on my 2011 reign 2 but i have no ISCG tabs and my BB is shimano press fit..... did the 09 reign 1 have ISCG or a threaded BB? any help would be greatly appreciated. right now i have fixed my front derailleur over the middle chainring, put an ethirteen 34t single ring on, and put a raceface bash guard on to help with chain hop. ultimately i would like a chain guide like yours but cant figure out if it is even possible. hopefully someone knows something i dont and can help me out.

  4. #104
    24v
    24v is offline
    Scratch That Itch
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by HowMaybesGo
    how in the world did you rig the chain guide up? i would love to put one on my 2011 reign 2 but i have no ISCG tabs and my BB is shimano press fit..... did the 09 reign 1 have ISCG or a threaded BB? any help would be greatly appreciated. right now i have fixed my front derailleur over the middle chainring, put an ethirteen 34t single ring on, and put a raceface bash guard on to help with chain hop. ultimately i would like a chain guide like yours but cant figure out if it is even possible. hopefully someone knows something i dont and can help me out.
    The 2011 Reign changed to press fit. All the Reign's before had normal threaded BB, so I used a BB mount chain guide.

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by campisi
    I'm running a 2.25 DHX on my 08 Reign. Moved the derailleur up a bit, no problems. I'm thinking of going back to 1X9, it used to be 1X9 but I got tired of the exhausting climbs. Now after a year or so, I'm tired of hearing my chain bang all over the frickin derailleur when I come down. I miss the golden silence of a tech descent with 1X9 and chain tensioner. Never happy!
    Anybody running a bottom swing derailleur on the front to help with the chain noise?? I have been thinking of doing this. Running a 2x9 I should be able to lower it more than a top swing without getting into linkage issues. Any thoughts on this??

  6. #106
    tma
    tma is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    91
    my latest pride and joy!






















    These are the hoops going with this bike. Its still in the shop being built.
    Will come with Chris King hubs front and rear.




    Look at the serials on these hoops...




    Sorry for too much pics
    "It's the driver, not the car..."

  7. #107
    24v
    24v is offline
    Scratch That Itch
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    375
    I posted a pic earlier in this thread, but it is down, and I have changed a few things since as well.
    Here is my 2009 Reign with upgraded suspension. The front is a Fox Float RC2 160mm, and the rear is an Elka Stage 5 (7.875 x 2.25). I have not yet had a chance to ride it in the dirt, but after an urban ride with some 3-4' drops, I can say there is definitely an improvement over the stock suspension setup.

    Last edited by 24v; 12-31-2010 at 02:12 PM.

  8. #108
    Huffy Rider
    Reputation: motochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick

    2008 Reign 0 size small
    2010 RS Revelation Race 150 20maxle
    2011 Fox RP23
    Mavic Crossmax XL (overkill for me, want lighter wheels)
    Trail King UST (way too heavy but work good)
    Sunline V1 AM 50mm stem
    Giant contact riser bar 690mm
    Giant contact seatpost
    Selle An-atomica titanico saddle
    XT cranks 175mm (wish they were 170!)
    XTR 11-34 cass and chain
    Brakes and drivetrain stock (New XO grip shift 12-25-10)
    Wellgo ti pedals
    Alligator Wind Cutter rotors
    Oury grips
    UPDATE: I got some new XO grip shifters for Christmas and they are by far the best mod I have done to this bike. I ride dirt bikes so twisting feels more natural to me. I have also rebuilt the entire brake system (thanks to Hayes for the upgrade kit) including shortening the hoses and replacing the pistons. I now have 4 months of MTB'ing on this bike and it is a great do all bike.


  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4
    Hi, I'm new in this forum and this is my first post... This is my 08' giant reign 2. Nothing is stock, only the headset. Hope you like it.

    Ps: sorry about my english, feel free to correct my mistakes.


    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-post-24366-0-49822400-1317180163_thumb.jpg

    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-post-24366-0-61068400-1317180056_thumb.jpg

  10. #110
    2010 Glory custom FR
    Reputation: frango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,033
    I've just ordered 2012 Reign 2 S for my GF.

    I plan to replace front tire with ST version of Minion and keep HR on the back. When she wears it out, I am gonna install spear Minion MaxPro which was originally on the bike.
    I want to replace 3 rings crankset with 2+bash SLX crankset, and hear comes the question... how and what kind of double ring chain guide install on the bike with PressFit BB?
    I am also going to switch original h-bar to my used FSA CF GLight 710 bar
    I am going install Syncros AM Traverse SPD for her
    pozdro
    frango

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by frango View Post
    I've just ordered 2012 Reign 2 S for my GF.

    I plan to replace front tire with ST version of Minion and keep HR on the back. When she wears it out, I am gonna install spear Minion MaxPro which was originally on the bike.
    I want to replace 3 rings crankset with 2+bash SLX crankset, and hear comes the question... how and what kind of double ring chain guide install on the bike with PressFit BB?
    I am also going to switch original h-bar to my used FSA CF GLight 710 bar
    I am going install Syncros AM Traverse SPD for her
    can't do it. the only thing you can get is a top guide for that direct mount (won't be able to use a bash) and/or one of those guide wheels that clamps onto your chain stay and I think that even has to be modified. In either case though I think you will have to go 1x9. I went through this whole thing with my 2011 Reign 2. currently there are no adapters for the BB to convert it to threaded so even getting an ISCG adapter plate is out of the question. Kind of a crappy deal but if the bike is going to be ridden kinda hard I would recommend getting something because chain drop is a big issue I had with mine.
    2011 Trek Scratch Air 8
    2011 Reign 2
    2008 Specialized p.2

  12. #112
    2010 Glory custom FR
    Reputation: frango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,033
    Quote Originally Posted by HowMaybesGo View Post
    can't do it. the only thing you can get is a top guide for that direct mount (won't be able to use a bash) and/or one of those guide wheels that clamps onto your chain stay and I think that even has to be modified. In either case though I think you will have to go 1x9. I went through this whole thing with my 2011 Reign 2. currently there are no adapters for the BB to convert it to threaded so even getting an ISCG adapter plate is out of the question. Kind of a crappy deal but if the bike is going to be ridden kinda hard I would recommend getting something because chain drop is a big issue I had with mine.
    I don't wanna make her pedal on 1x9 drivetrain in town, where the bike will be used most of the time, I think.
    I've seen some cool chain CS holders on some 2012 bikes.... Trek has something, I think... but I can't find it on the web.
    pozdro
    frango

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    184
    I haven't seen any on the new treks but I have seen them on some new specialized. That style will be your best bet if you want 2x9 w/bash. If it is only going to see light trail use though why go through the trouble?

    Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    2011 Trek Scratch Air 8
    2011 Reign 2
    2008 Specialized p.2

  14. #114
    2010 Glory custom FR
    Reputation: frango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,033
    I found something from Exustar
    EXUSTAR 2011 Performance in motion
    and this Specialized thingy
    http://www.29eronline.com/wp-content...lk-Flo-Red.jpg
    pozdro
    frango

  15. #115
    Huffy Rider
    Reputation: motochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,380
    My first bike got stolen in Feb (see post #108) so here is my replacement. I built it from the frame up so only the shock and headset are stock.

    *Frame: 2008 Giant Reign Small (brand new)
    *Fork: Rev RLT ti maxle
    *Shock: RP-2
    *Wheels: Stans ZTR Crest, Conti X-King
    *Shifters/Cass/R. Derailleur: XO (twisties)
    *F. Derailleur: 2004 XTR
    *Brakes: Stroker Grams
    *Rotors: Alligator serration
    *Bars: RF Sixc
    *Stem/Seatpost: Thomson, Woodman clamp
    *Cranks: DaVinci 167.5, ti BB
    *Pedals: Ritchey Pro Paradigm
    *Saddle: WTB Deva
    *Grips: Oury
    *Chain: KMC X9SL
    Weight: 24.92 w/pedals, computer, bell

    The shorter cranks are about the greatest thing I did to this bike, no more pedals strikes or banging my knees on my bars. Putting 175's on these small bikes is just plain retarded! I will have my suspension Pushed later this year and will eventually go 1x9 when everything wears out. Fun bike and one of a kind!


  16. #116
    2010 Glory custom FR
    Reputation: frango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,033
    Sorry about the loss of the bike... felt it once, too.
    Nice selection of parts, motochick

    BTW, you ride KTM bike, don't you? Dirt or road?
    pozdro
    frango

  17. #117
    Huffy Rider
    Reputation: motochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,380
    Yes, several KTM's, and dirt (single track) only. Except for the occasional wash that links them together. It is very hard getting used to having such a small bike underneath me, the 250lbs is just way more confident inspiring. I'm getting there tho.

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by HowMaybesGo View Post
    I haven't seen any on the new treks but I have seen them on some new specialized. That style will be your best bet if you want 2x9 w/bash. If it is only going to see light trail use though why go through the trouble?

    Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    I dont remember the name they're using for it, but yeah its the 2012 Specialized's that have the chainstay guide. I also am wondering why you'd get a 6" travel bike for mainly street use.

  19. #119
    2010 Glory custom FR
    Reputation: frango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,033
    @motochick, that's cool Not many girls on dirt bike around where I live

    @mayonays, well, my GF got back to riding in the mountains last year. She liked it very much, even though has been riding borrowed SC Bullit which was too big, too hard and too heavy for her. So, we've decided to get something more handy for her. But, as we don't live close to the mountains, but still want to ride together in town (which I can do on my Glory on proper tires), we've chosen Reign 2. It will be her do-it-all mountain bike which I hope to be allowed to borrow from time to time
    pozdro
    frango

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    66
    I have a 2008 Giant Reign 1 all stock... At the moment I am debating to get a 160mm fork + angleset or buy a specialized enduro comp ? I have a good offer on an enduro but I am worried about the climbing capabilities... Any comments ?

  21. #121
    psYclone
    Reputation: jamieh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3
    I have a mate with 2010 Enduro which he loves! We've ridden ours bikes together over the past 3 years and they are both pretty matched in the climbing department. Although I have noticed that my Reign tends to bob a lot less even with the ProPedal in full open. So after many a trail side discussion, I think the Reign will climb a bit better. Yes I'm looking at a slightly longer fork too, probably going with a Sektor RL coil should be fine for riding around here. Good luck!

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    134
    Hi mates,

    I'm looking to replace my stock DHX air 4.0 by a RS Monarch RT3. I was looking for a Pushed RS Monarch AM, but unfortunately Push dosent sell to Europe and TFTuned don't make it/sell it until now.

    I wonder if anyone already had a Monarch RT3 mounted on a Reign. I want to control the beginning stroke, you now it goes so quick in the travel at the beginning of the stroke. Need more control here, and i cannot have that with the stock shock. I wonder als about the compression tune. I think I need a hard compression tune, but not sure...

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    153
    is the shim mod possible for a DHX?
    if so, maybe you should try that first before you resort to a different shock.
    I have an rp2, the big volume air can one, and the shim mod has been a very cheap and efficient remedy.

    check Reign 2011 high volume versus low volume RP2 sleeve results? for more info if you haven't already read it.

    and DHX air upgraded with the RP3 air sleeve for some DHX mods.

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    134
    What is exactly the shim mod ? I don't it. I'm not really a suspension, or a shock expert.

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    153
    check the links I've posted. there is a lot more info there than I can give.
    what I can say with certainty from my own experience is that the procedure is very very simple and totally reversible.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •