Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 709
  1. #151
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    103

    Med 09 Reign w/ 2.25 dhx xfusion Vengeance

    file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Setting...old-photos.jpg Small pic. I dont know how to upload pics very well on this site. But anyway alot of people have been telling me how much they like this set up on PB. I must say the Geometry is perfect. Even with the higher BB height. The Vengeance 160 HLR has been lowered to 5 3/4 inches due to the long A2C height. The rear is set to 6.5 inches. The DHX has been set up with a stiff midrange so as not to blow thru the travel and now this bike pedals like mothreffer. I have built the perfect AM ride and Ive been doing it all on this bike, It pedals unbelievable. Here's the pasrt list

    09 Giant Reign 0 frame Medium w/ 2.25 stroke
    6.5 inches travel/ BB height 14"
    2011 X Fusion Vengeance HLR
    2010 CB Iodines w/ the upgraded hub body
    Shimano XT hydros
    Spesh Command Post
    1x9 Sram xo Drivetrain
    Shimano XT cranks
    70mm syncros stem w/ RF Atlas AM
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bryantaber; 01-02-2012 at 12:48 PM.

  2. #152
    Ozzy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8

    2011 Reign 1

    Hi Guys, this is my first post here, this is my Reign which I bought here in Adelaide Aust in August last year. I mainly ride XC but have done a bit of DH on it. I have been very happy with its performace so far, but have not added any mods yet. Sorry I don't have a good live picture yet. Does anyone know if Giant are going to release a Reign 29er in the future ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-reign_1_silver_cyan_blue_72dpiwide.jpg  


  3. #153
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,733
    1st mod - get rid of those useless Kendas.

  4. #154
    Ozzy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    1st mod - get rid of those useless Kendas.
    I keep hearing that but I've been amazed how much grip they have on the rocky single trails, but I must admit they are very heavy and have a lot of rolling resistance. OK for a beginner like me I guess lol

  5. #155
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    38




    Joplin 4, Fox Vanilla RC 2011 with 2.25", Fox 36 Talas 160, Mavic SX.. Just put the Vanilla RC on yesterday so haven't had a chance to ride it with the new rear on yet.. but the rest are amazing upgrades.. I love the 36 160 Talas..
    2011 Reign, Fox rp23, 2012 Fox 36 Talas 160, Crossmax Sx, Sram X9 2x10 Group, XO brakes, Easton Havoc Bars (nice and wide!!)

  6. #156
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbo View Post
    I keep hearing that but I've been amazed how much grip they have on the rocky single trails, but I must admit they are very heavy and have a lot of rolling resistance. OK for a beginner like me I guess lol
    Yeah - their grip is OK... it was the bazilionty pinch flats that did it for me.

  7. #157
    Ozzy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8

    First Ride

    This is my first ride at Prospect Hill in Adelaide, I'm in the black shirt and my son is in the front on the Kona. As you can see I'm over dressed and over weight too but I did survive the 3 hr ride.....just.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-zzyxxgroup03_09_2011.jpg  


  8. #158
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    187
    One more time I will try to get some advices.

    Is there someone here with a Giant Reign and a Monarch shock ?

    If yes what are the compression and rebound tune of the shock ?

    Need to get some advices before I buy it !

    Thanks dudes


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    ---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=46.755623,7.607987
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #159
    Single Track Addict
    Reputation: bulletboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by Samos View Post
    One more time I will try to get some advices.

    Is there someone here with a Giant Reign and a Monarch shock ?

    If yes what are the compression and rebound tune of the shock ?

    Need to get some advices before I buy it !

    Thanks dudes


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    ---
    I am here: Google Maps
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I'm two days out from getting my brand new PUSH monarch. It's going on my 2005 Reign.

    If you can wait another week or so I'll try to update your questions.

    -Chris
    Will ride singletrack for food...

  10. #160
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    103
    The only versions of freeride 29'ers Ive seen so far are smaller private experimental versions. Agressive riding with a 29er adds alot of logistical problems. For one building a strong lightweight wheelset could be an issue. I hadnt heard any such plans as far as the big bike companies go.

  11. #161
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    16
    Hobbo, I'm in Adelaide too (and on a Reign - '09). The Kendas are great here all year round. they do get pinch flats easily though. my tip is convert to tubeless and run as low a pressure as possible. jezza

    ps the reign is great for eagle's/fox/mitcham/craigburn, you can ride everything incl. most dh tracks. prospect hill is probably its least fave, less gnar!

  12. #162
    Ozzy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8

    Giant AM 29er

    Hi GBJ, the Reigns are better on the hard stuff imo, I have trouble in the loose forest climbs. Fox is my favorite for sure ! I will convert to tubeless when I wear out the Kendas. Norco have released a AM 29er, its got a lot of interest in Oz right now. I was hoping Giant will bring out an AM 29er next year, the wheel strength issues have been improving a lot lately.

  13. #163
    Giddy Up
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3
    Just picked up a 2011 Reign 2 on clearance - BUT had the LBS change out to XT components as well as Avid E-7s. Just put on some 745mm bars for awesome control as well. I will update to tubeless soon (and just to kill the Kenda tire thing, they are great tires and Giant would NOT put them on every Reign sold if not- Kenda tires climb all over Moab). Will post pics soon!

  14. #164
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Killing_UT View Post
    <snip> (and just to kill the Kenda tire thing, they are great tires and Giant would NOT put them on every Reign sold if not- Kenda tires climb all over Moab). Will post pics soon!
    Pfft. Nevegals suck. 4,123,931 pinch flats can't be wrong...

  15. #165
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Pfft. Nevegals suck. 4,123,931 pinch flats can't be wrong...
    My friend has a Reign with the Nevegals on it, ALWAYS getting pinch flats but I attributed it to the low pressures he runs. Sounds like it could also be just the tire itself being trash.

  16. #166
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1
    My Reign
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-s6300416.jpg  

    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-s6300414.jpg  

    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-s6300412.jpg  


  17. #167
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    187
    New evolution of my '08 Reign 0 :

    Changed from 22-32-bash to 22-36
    Changed the chainguide for a Truvativ X-Guide (was a Truvativ Shiftguide before).




    ---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?40cdyx
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #168
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    442
    mods to my '11 reign, pretty much a frame up build:

    650b rear wheel

    revelation 140mm 29er (g2 offset) fork and 29er wheel

    should have a 2.25 stroke shock to install later this week, may have it tuned to shorten the eye-to-eye .25 keeping it at 2" stroke but lower the bb and slack the HA

  19. #169
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    442
    pic to prove it happened:


  20. #170
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
    pic to prove it happened:

    Nice one Paul, what`s the BB height finally?

    mine with 650b 2.3 neo-moto front and rear is 14 5/8" with 170mm lyrik and added a top out spacer to limit the eye to eye 2.5mm. if I limit the lyrik to 160, it would be 14.5 or lower I think.

  21. #171
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    442
    thanks!

    it's about the same as yours, roughly 14-5/8 give or take an 1/8th...i prefer a higher BB though, much less effort to manual and much less pedal strikes.

  22. #172
    2010 Glory custom FR
    Reputation: frango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,096
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
    pic to prove it happened:

    What's the tire clearance at the rear end? Seems tiny
    pozdro
    frango

  23. #173
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    442
    1/4 inch at the tightest point, about an inch on the sides..

  24. #174
    2010 Glory custom FR
    Reputation: frango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,096
    1/4" clearance will most probably lead to "mud-blasting" the frame once ridden in wet conditions :|
    pozdro
    frango

  25. #175
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    442
    the 1/4 clearance is at the ledge at the very bottom of the chainstay, everywhere else is twice that. i'm not concerned

  26. #176
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    442
    I see, clearance may have seemed tight, but was not an issue during a 5hr ride yesterday

  27. #177
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    103

    5 hr Bliss

    You might want to add an on the fly adjust seat post to your rig. It's been a game changer. Lot m ore fun.slight weight penalty but well worth it.

  28. #178
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    442
    me personally, always ran my mtb seats a tad low anyways, but yeah nvr hurts to try, besides its static weight localized right in the center of gravity, be tough to notice that weight

  29. #179
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    103

    Post choices

    I dont really notice the weight but I have a bunch of weenie pals that resist the swap. If you go the preowned route (they are expensive new) , make sure you choose a company that is reliable. The 1st gen Crank brothers Joplins are bad that have a reputation for alot of warranties. You apparently can be grabbed pick up your bike by the saddle or the post will just extend and/or just spin freely and fail to decompress w/ out rebleeding.(big mess) So far I love the Command Post by Specialized (130.00). Ive had it a year with no problems. It's the only mechanical air/cable post that's been proven. The KS i-series/RS Reverb/ or Xfusion hyrdrailic ones are all supposed to be Very stable and reliable. I think Giant just released an in house one for the 2012 Reigns too. To be fair to CB, they have a new post coming out that is air/cable mechanized.And I LOVE my CB Iodine wheels!!! The new posts are like $300.00+/-. I would go with a trusted preowned one. sorry for the rant.

  30. #180
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
    mods to my '11 reign, pretty much a frame up build:

    650b rear wheel

    revelation 140mm 29er (g2 offset) fork and 29er wheel

    should have a 2.25 stroke shock to install later this week, may have it tuned to shorten the eye-to-eye .25 keeping it at 2" stroke but lower the bb and slack the HA
    wow.. unique build out.. just back into researching bikes..just bought a new reign.. Still been riding these last few years but checked out from the new trends..seems like they are

    1.) 1x10 or 2x10 drivetrains.. pretty much everywhere I read people leaving the 3 ring set up..makes sense I suppose.. I might try a 1x10 on the reign, though granny is nice now and then.. dont see the point of 2x10?? maybe missing something..basically a 3 ring with a bash guard?

    2.) dropper seat-post... I mean everyone I talk too claims this is a must have..really???.. I guess I need to check it.. seems like a fad..but maybe its the sh^%4t! I would have never guess that people would be willing to gain weight for an automatic seatpost.. but sounds really transforming.. and the people who hype it to me are hardcore bikers..

    3.) 650b wheel... what the hell! lol.. that one threw me for a loop.. still not sure why that is better than a 26 or a niner? just the sweet spot.. why not a 28.3 inch wheel?

    anyway... how does that bike work compared to a standard 26 wheel build? why did you make those choices? geometry? steering ? rolling? weight?

    hope this doesn't come off as critical.. not at all.. I'm super curious.. all these changes in the last few years ..its intriguing!

    one last thing if I do go 1x10.. anyone know the definitive set up for reign chain guide.. I read a lot about the pressed BB.. would you go with the MRP direct mount?

    thanks..

  31. #181
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    442
    1) i still ride 3x9. i shift between the front 3 more than up and down the rear, when i rode 1x9, just hated shifting all the time

    2) i don't have one....i think i mentioned in a previous post, i probably run my offroad seatpost 1/2-3/4" lower than i would on a road bike....it's silly to me that i have a friend or two still set up their MTB cockpit same as their road, oh well not for me to judge.

    3) been riding a 650b on the front since 2008, just makes sense to me to have a slightly larger front wheel than rear, and about a year and half ago built up a trance 96er, rode well enough, but i really prefer either 650bfr/26rr or 29fr/650brr

    i rode my reign a couple short rides 29/26 and for some reason just felt a tad less balanced than the trance it replaced even though it was 29/26 too, could have been the longer travel slacker angles? swapped out the for for bigger offset (G2) and rear wheel for 650b and now it suits me.

    weight is still lighter than the reign as-delivered (26/26) but i built up light/strong (TL28) wheels and run them ghetto tubeless, swapped all my other semi-fancy parts from the trance...

    as far as 1x10, make sure your front ring is for singlespeed, meaining no shift ramps, tall teeth. run as thin a bashguard as you can get (why do they call them that? any bash you get on it could bend your crank spider, personally i'd rather bend the ring or guard....) and some sort of inner chain retention, probably best to go with one of the seat tube clamp types like problem solvers makes, it's a nice little plastic clamp with a stainless L-shaped piece that you can adjust right up to your chain in the highest gear. paul components makes a good one too, just costs four times as much, BUT if i'm not mistaken allows you to just run the chainring with no outer bashguard thingy..

    the reign is super versatile as shown by my build, great bike at fraction of the cost of a mojo or similar (also a very adaptable bike, loads of dudes riding them 650 fr/rr)

    hope this helps!

  32. #182
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
    1) i still ride 3x9. i shift between the front 3 more than up and down the rear, when i rode 1x9, just hated shifting all the time

    2) i don't have one....i think i mentioned in a previous post, i probably run my offroad seatpost 1/2-3/4" lower than i would on a road bike....it's silly to me that i have a friend or two still set up their MTB cockpit same as their road, oh well not for me to judge.

    3) been riding a 650b on the front since 2008, just makes sense to me to have a slightly larger front wheel than rear, and about a year and half ago built up a trance 96er, rode well enough, but i really prefer either 650bfr/26rr or 29fr/650brr

    i rode my reign a couple short rides 29/26 and for some reason just felt a tad less balanced than the trance it replaced even though it was 29/26 too, could have been the longer travel slacker angles? swapped out the for for bigger offset (G2) and rear wheel for 650b and now it suits me.

    weight is still lighter than the reign as-delivered (26/26) but i built up light/strong (TL28) wheels and run them ghetto tubeless, swapped all my other semi-fancy parts from the trance...

    as far as 1x10, make sure your front ring is for singlespeed, meaining no shift ramps, tall teeth. run as thin a bashguard as you can get (why do they call them that? any bash you get on it could bend your crank spider, personally i'd rather bend the ring or guard....) and some sort of inner chain retention, probably best to go with one of the seat tube clamp types like problem solvers makes, it's a nice little plastic clamp with a stainless L-shaped piece that you can adjust right up to your chain in the highest gear. paul components makes a good one too, just costs four times as much, BUT if i'm not mistaken allows you to just run the chainring with no outer bashguard thingy..

    the reign is super versatile as shown by my build, great bike at fraction of the cost of a mojo or similar (also a very adaptable bike, loads of dudes riding them 650 fr/rr)

    hope this helps!
    Cool thanks.. funny I thought the 1X10 would allow me to shift less.. anyway I can try it pretty easliy with the stock setup i believe.. In theory I understand using a non ramped chain ring but whats the difference between riding that w/1x or 3x.. wear I'm guessing? I thought the ramped only helped with shifting..

    I might not be strong enough yet for a 1x10 on the reign.. time will tell.. love the idea of never dropping (or rarely) a chain.. but I was looking at the Accessoires

    looks like it could be cool..just wish they would price it within reason!..lol

  33. #183
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    442
    sure there's no chain guide, but like i said earlier, paul components makes a real nice clamp on one, as well as the super cheap yet effective clamp on problem solvers part.

  34. #184
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    103
    I'm pretty sure that if you go with a 2011 or newer, you may have problems with 1x10 or 1x9. The new reigns don't have Chain guide tabs and the press fit BB's cannot accept a BB mounted chain guide. you need to run a front derlr to keep your chain on. The Reign X's , however, do have chain guide tabs.

  35. #185
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantaber View Post
    I'm pretty sure that if you go with a 2011 or newer, you may have problems with 1x10 or 1x9. The new reigns don't have Chain guide tabs and the press fit BB's cannot accept a BB mounted chain guide. you need to run a front derlr to keep your chain on. The Reign X's , however, do have chain guide tabs.
    I was looking at these.. the direct mount version specifically..

    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...t-mount-45186]

    with a 1x setup

  36. #186
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    103
    ?? that link showed nothing.

  37. #187
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44

  38. #188
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    103
    yes , that works. there is also a seperate tensioner wheel that fastens to the chainstay near where the chain rolls off the chainring. those 2 should adress the chain guide issue. Or you could get an 09 like I did. Either way, you're gonna love the Reign.

  39. #189
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantaber View Post
    yes , that works. there is also a seperate tensioner wheel that fastens to the chainstay near where the chain rolls off the chainring. those 2 should adress the chain guide issue. Or you could get an 09 like I did. Either way, you're gonna love the Reign.
    Picked up a reign 1 2011 on closout last weekend! probably stay with the 3 x setup for a bit but tempted to try the 1x ... Why I'm trying to track down the best option for that.

  40. #190
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    103
    Awesome. sounds like you got a great deal. Maybe just add the bash guard then and ditch that giant chainring. you could add the small tension wheell on the bottom. This will cut down on all the noisy, messy chain slap. Just make it a 2x9.

  41. #191
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantaber View Post
    Awesome. sounds like you got a great deal. Maybe just add the bash guard then and ditch that giant chainring. you could add the small tension wheell on the bottom. This will cut down on all the noisy, messy chain slap. Just make it a 2x9.
    Can you recommend a bash guard for the SLX cranks.. thanks!

  42. #192
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44
    K think I got it.. going to try a 2x10 with a bash first.. then maybe a 1x down the line..

    just bought bash:

    http://www.bbgbashguard.com/images/IMG_2585.JPG

    and

    Guide:

    Accessoires

    The bionicon is on BO until end of march.. I'll report back with findings after I receive..

    cheers

  43. #193
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    151

    Mainitou Swinger 4-Way?

    I have a recently rebuilt Mainitou Swinger 4-Way from an old VT. From k1creekereye's recent post it looks like to eye length is 7.5" and stroke is 2.0"

    Upper hardware: 22.2mm x 6mm
    Lower hardware: 50mm x 8mm

    Could I transfer this over to a 2008 Reign and would it be a good shock compared to the stock RP3?
    Thanks in Advance!
    Video Production for Energy & The Environment
    www.levelaproductions.com

  44. #194
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    103
    I replaced my RP23 for a DHX. They are 7.875 X 2.0 stroke for 6 inches travel or X 2.25 for 6 5/8 travel. The 09 Reign linkage is compatible with either stroke. The BB height gets affected by a half inch higher with the longer stroke , though. 14inches high, I think. Some people will post their Ads as 8inches eye to eye, but that's incorrect. There is no such eye to eye measurement of a flat 8.0inches, thus far. If somebody lists one as 8.0 inches, it usually means 7.875 or 7 7/8 inches (it's so close to 8 inches people just say 8.) hope this helps

  45. #195
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,733
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantaber View Post
    I replaced my RP23 for a DHX. They are 7.875 X 2.0 stroke for 6 inches travel or X 2.25 for 6 5/8 travel. The 09 Reign linkage is compatible with either stroke. The BB height gets affected by a half inch higher with the longer stroke , though. 14inches high, I think. Some people will post their Ads as 8inches eye to eye, but that's incorrect. There is no such eye to eye measurement of a flat 8.0inches, thus far. If somebody lists one as 8.0 inches, it usually means 7.875 or 7 7/8 inches (it's so close to 8 inches people just say 8.) hope this helps
    The BB height is *not* changed by the longer stroke shock. A different i2i would affect BB height - but not a different stroke.

  46. #196
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    103
    Skared's right, I forgot. The i to i remains 7.875 so the BB height is unchanged. The high BB feel of the 09 does feel on the tall side. It's just inherent in the design. It is around 14", though.

  47. #197
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall View Post
    Will get pics up shortly but here is the detail on my ride.

    2008 Reign 1 - Medium

    Picked up as frame, with RP2 shock. Changed out to a RP23 that I had from another bike, but was never happy as it felt quite harsh. Had the PP level dropped down a little and changed the air can to use a DHX-A. This change felt better still seemed to lack something.

    After some messing about I finally got a X-Fusion 02-PVA, did one ride, but changed it up a little, so the real first ride is tonight. What I did notice is the 02-PVA is more lively, allows you to get a little more pop yet be controlled in the travel. Time will tell how it works out.

    For wheels I run a set of Easton Havocs with smaller 2.2 Mountain King tires. Grip is okay on the dry, but not enough tread for the wet and scary on wet roots and things. On the front best to avoid loose or wet condtions. My other wheelset is Hope hubs on Syncros rims with 2.25 Advantage on the back and either 2.4 Ardent or 2.35 WTB on the front. Still looking for that tire this fairly light yet has a stronger sidewall, say something like a real 2.35 or 2.4 front will 1.5 ply.

    Recently changed the fork from a Manitou Nixon 160 IT, to a Fox Talas 160 and am liking the additional stiffness on the Fox. Bike is reasonably slack but would love to have an 09 or 10 frame an an extra degree slacker.

    Have been running a KS I-900 seatpost for a while and consider it a must have. My knees and back really notice when I don't have an adjustable seatpost.

    Shortened up the stem and am running an Easton Vice 60 or 65mm and run a wide riser bar with about 40-50 rise.

    Haven't bothered to switch back to my clipless pedals for quite sometime, so I pretty much run the flats with my 5-10.

    The most recent change was to move from a 22-32-44 to a 22-34 w/bashguard. The 32 didn't provide enough range without the big ring, so I moved up to 34. Not to certain if I could have run a 36 front even with the 11-34 cassette might prove too much.

    Enough blabbering. Will get pics up in the next couple of days.

    Well I never did get the pictures up on the 2008 frame. Have moved most of the parts over to a 2010 frame with a couple of upgrades.

    Replaced my old Shimano XT's with a new set and just yesterday installed a new wheelset with some shiny new Schwalbe tires. Running a Hans Dampf on the back and a Muddy Mary on the front. Bike is built as a solid AM rig, weighs in at just over 31.5lbs, not bad for what it can handle.

    Here are a couple of shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-p1040374.jpg  

    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-p1040375.jpg  

    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-p1040376.jpg  


  48. #198
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1
    Hey guys, not sure if I have set up my bike wrongly or what but I am riding a 2009 small Reign 2, my current shock is a FOX DHX Air 5.0 7.875 x 2.25 but when I full compress the rear shock, the seat tube and the swing arm is knocks into each other. Anyone else having this problem?

  49. #199
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    442
    On my large sized frame there is plenty of clearance at full comp with 2.25 stroke shock, could be because of it being a small size

  50. #200
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    911

    Reigning Monarch

    Fun title anyway. Was out for a ride the other night, and despite a few trail side adjustments I could not get the front and rear suspension to feel right.

    On the previous ride, I had added about 5 psi front (Talas 36) and back (RP23), and it felt good, great actually. So I checked the pressure and made sure it was at the same level and off I went. The climb up on the fire road felt okay, but no real test on the suspension. The decent was a technical XC blast that varied from slow root and steep roll slopes to fast flowing and bumpy section, littered of course with a few climbs as well. It could have been one of those days where nothing was going to feel right, but it really felt like I was getting bounced around a lot more than the usual.

    So impulse buy to the rescue, I ordered a Rock Shox Monarch RC3 Plus for my 2010 Reign. Went with a medium tune with the regular air can. From what I was able to search out the higher volume air cans are not as good on the Reign or most bikes with a leverage ratio of over 2.5:1. Hopefully, this will end up being one of those, "WOW, I am glad I did that" moments and not one of those "What the hell was I thinking"

    Will report back in a week or so when the shock gets in.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •