Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)

277K views 729 replies 164 participants last post by  kurtis1984 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,
The purpose of this thread is to hear of modifications people have made to their giant reign to find out what works and what doesn't.

I am very interested to know about switching the rear shock for something other than the DHX air. I have also heard of guys changing the stroke legnth on the rear shock to gain more travel ie...from 2" stroke and 6" travel to 2.35" stroke 6.75" travel. Anyone tried this?

Here's my mods;
2009 Giant Reign 0
-36 Fox Talas , brings my head tube angle to 66.5 and the BB just over 14". I really like this setup, makes the reign much more capable on gnarly descents but just as versatile for climbs, XC type stuff. It comes with a 1lb weight penalty.
-KS i950r adjustable seat post with 5" travel. For me this was necessary because as you know the interrupted seat tube on a reign did not allow for maximum extension for climbing AND total drop down for downhill. this post is awesome, adjust on the fly and have the seat right where you want it depending on what your riding. it comes with a 1/2lb weight penalty.
-RaceFace Bashgaurd
-Chromag 50mm Ranger Stem for better control downhill and less of a felling like i'm going over the bars
-Chromag Fubars OS 730mm for extra stability, less twitchyness

Post your Mods!!!!!!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#53 ·
My '10 R2.
All stock except for the 24-36 chainrings.
Also added a chain guide and bash guard.

(seat in downhill mode :p )

The 24-36 front + 11-34 rear is amazing!
Shifts like a premium bike :D

next project:

Rockshox Reverb Hydraulic Seatpost.

#54 ·
Hi,

My '09 Reign 0 (M).

Upgrades are :
- Fork : 36 Float R (don't need the RC2, I'm not able to configure it...);
- Chainguide : Truvativ
- Bashguard : from a local retailer here in Switzerland;
- Wheels : self mounted wheels, Hope Pro 2 - CN 424 - DT Swiss EX500;
- Tires : Maxxis Ardent, 2.4'' in front and 2.25'' on the rear;
- Brake disc on the rear : 185mm;
- Pedals : flat ones, Wellgo.

#55 ·
Samos said:
Hi,

My '09 Reign 0 (M).

Upgrades are :
- Fork : 36 Float R (don't need the RC2, I'm not able to configure it...);
- Chainguide : Truvativ
- Bashguard : from a local retailer here in Switzerland;
- Wheels : self mounted wheels, Hope Pro 2 - CN 424 - DT Swiss EX500;
- Tires : Maxxis Ardent, 2.4'' in front and 2.25'' on the rear;
- Brake disc on the rear : 185mm;
- Pedals : flat ones, Wellgo.
Nice ride!
Do you think that 2.4 ardent would fit on the rear? how is the 2.25 for durability, ie; are the sidewalls thick enough to run tubeless?

#56 ·
murrdogg11 said:
yes i've heard about the alberts in that respect...its too bad because on paper they are exactly what im after. but here in BC i cant be taking chances like that over wet roots and rocks etc.
My Big Bettys havent arrived so I cannot comment on grip over wet roots, and rocks. So far in those conditions I´ve tried: Racing Ralphs, Nobby Nics and the Fat alberts, - the Racing Ralphs (on my XC Hardtail) were the least slippery and they give you great traction, but still they are only an XC tire and wear fast, i cannot really comment about their durabilty as an AM.

Maybe you could try the Big Betty and or Muddy Mary in the Snake Skin, gooey glue compound. never been in BC, but I rode for a while in the austrian alps, and I believe it feels quite similar, therefor if most of the time is wet and humid you dont need the TC versions (which grip nice, wear slower and roll faster). The GGC versions wear much faster because they are softer- Although we got out of topic in this thread , this is an entirely different discussion, and there are a couple ot threads on this subject in the tire sections

#57 ·
tma said:
My '10 R2.
All stock except for the 24-36 chainrings.
Also added a chain guide and bash guard.
If I keep mi actual 08 Reign, I would like to install also a chain tensioner and a bashguard instead of the big ring (i have never ever used it), do you think is necessary to change the casettes as you did??

#58 · (Edited)
Nothing is stock, 2006 Reign 2

-Lyrik 2Step with Motion Control DH
-Pushed Fox Float R with Big Hit Kit (huge upgrade!)
-DT Swiss 5.1 rims with King hubs
-Joplin 4R post (another huge upgrade)
-Rubber Queen 2.2 tire up front, Minion F 2.35 in the back (possibly the perfect combination)
-Elixir R brakes (do the job with great modulation)

Other then that just an X.9 build with a Nisene saddle

31.5lbs with pedals

Attachments

#59 ·
Will get pics up shortly but here is the detail on my ride.

2008 Reign 1 - Medium

Picked up as frame, with RP2 shock. Changed out to a RP23 that I had from another bike, but was never happy as it felt quite harsh. Had the PP level dropped down a little and changed the air can to use a DHX-A. This change felt better still seemed to lack something.

After some messing about I finally got a X-Fusion 02-PVA, did one ride, but changed it up a little, so the real first ride is tonight. What I did notice is the 02-PVA is more lively, allows you to get a little more pop yet be controlled in the travel. Time will tell how it works out.

For wheels I run a set of Easton Havocs with smaller 2.2 Mountain King tires. Grip is okay on the dry, but not enough tread for the wet and scary on wet roots and things. On the front best to avoid loose or wet condtions. My other wheelset is Hope hubs on Syncros rims with 2.25 Advantage on the back and either 2.4 Ardent or 2.35 WTB on the front. Still looking for that tire this fairly light yet has a stronger sidewall, say something like a real 2.35 or 2.4 front will 1.5 ply.

Recently changed the fork from a Manitou Nixon 160 IT, to a Fox Talas 160 and am liking the additional stiffness on the Fox. Bike is reasonably slack but would love to have an 09 or 10 frame an an extra degree slacker.

Have been running a KS I-900 seatpost for a while and consider it a must have. My knees and back really notice when I don't have an adjustable seatpost.

Shortened up the stem and am running an Easton Vice 60 or 65mm and run a wide riser bar with about 40-50 rise.

Haven't bothered to switch back to my clipless pedals for quite sometime, so I pretty much run the flats with my 5-10.

The most recent change was to move from a 22-32-44 to a 22-34 w/bashguard. The 32 didn't provide enough range without the big ring, so I moved up to 34. Not to certain if I could have run a 36 front even with the 11-34 cassette might prove too much.

Enough blabbering. Will get pics up in the next couple of days.

#197 ·
Will get pics up shortly but here is the detail on my ride.

2008 Reign 1 - Medium

Picked up as frame, with RP2 shock. Changed out to a RP23 that I had from another bike, but was never happy as it felt quite harsh. Had the PP level dropped down a little and changed the air can to use a DHX-A. This change felt better still seemed to lack something.

After some messing about I finally got a X-Fusion 02-PVA, did one ride, but changed it up a little, so the real first ride is tonight. What I did notice is the 02-PVA is more lively, allows you to get a little more pop yet be controlled in the travel. Time will tell how it works out.

For wheels I run a set of Easton Havocs with smaller 2.2 Mountain King tires. Grip is okay on the dry, but not enough tread for the wet and scary on wet roots and things. On the front best to avoid loose or wet condtions. My other wheelset is Hope hubs on Syncros rims with 2.25 Advantage on the back and either 2.4 Ardent or 2.35 WTB on the front. Still looking for that tire this fairly light yet has a stronger sidewall, say something like a real 2.35 or 2.4 front will 1.5 ply.

Recently changed the fork from a Manitou Nixon 160 IT, to a Fox Talas 160 and am liking the additional stiffness on the Fox. Bike is reasonably slack but would love to have an 09 or 10 frame an an extra degree slacker.

Have been running a KS I-900 seatpost for a while and consider it a must have. My knees and back really notice when I don't have an adjustable seatpost.

Shortened up the stem and am running an Easton Vice 60 or 65mm and run a wide riser bar with about 40-50 rise.

Haven't bothered to switch back to my clipless pedals for quite sometime, so I pretty much run the flats with my 5-10.

The most recent change was to move from a 22-32-44 to a 22-34 w/bashguard. The 32 didn't provide enough range without the big ring, so I moved up to 34. Not to certain if I could have run a 36 front even with the 11-34 cassette might prove too much.

Enough blabbering. Will get pics up in the next couple of days.
Well I never did get the pictures up on the 2008 frame. Have moved most of the parts over to a 2010 frame with a couple of upgrades.

Replaced my old Shimano XT's with a new set and just yesterday installed a new wheelset with some shiny new Schwalbe tires. Running a Hans Dampf on the back and a Muddy Mary on the front. Bike is built as a solid AM rig, weighs in at just over 31.5lbs, not bad for what it can handle.

Here are a couple of shots.

Attachments

#60 ·
murrdogg11 said:
Nice ride!
Thanks !!!

murrdogg11 said:
Do you think that 2.4 ardent would fit on the rear? how is the 2.25 for durability, ie; are the sidewalls thick enough to run tubeless?
Well, I tried the 2.4'' on the rear (I bought two of them) for about 50 to 60 km. It was enough for me. I don't know, but the weight, the profile, maybe to much grip on the rear, in the end I wasn't convinced and buy the 2.25'' version. I ride sometimes rough terrain, maybe have a look on my website, it's in french but the videos.... http://www.kuffi.ch/page1/files/2ac36c0363599dfc91793f9fcc542371-3.html

I don't know if it's possible to ride it tubeless. Indeed, which system are you using to run tubeless ? I'm interested in it.

#61 ·
cesalec said:
My Big Bettys havent arrived so I cannot comment on grip over wet roots, and rocks. So far in those conditions I´ve tried: Racing Ralphs, Nobby Nics and the Fat alberts, - the Racing Ralphs (on my XC Hardtail) were the least slippery and they give you great traction, but still they are only an XC tire and wear fast, i cannot really comment about their durabilty as an AM.

Maybe you could try the Big Betty and or Muddy Mary in the Snake Skin, gooey glue compound. never been in BC, but I rode for a while in the austrian alps, and I believe it feels quite similar, therefor if most of the time is wet and humid you dont need the TC versions (which grip nice, wear slower and roll faster). The GGC versions wear much faster because they are softer- Although we got out of topic in this thread , this is an entirely different discussion, and there are a couple ot threads on this subject in the tire sections
Thanks for the input and point taken about the thread jacking.:thumbsup:

#62 ·
Samos said:
I don't know if it's possible to ride it tubeless. Indeed, which system are you using to run tubeless ? I'm interested in it.
I'm going to give it a go using stans sealant, yellow tape and flow rims. just ordered a set of 2.4 Advantages folding single ply from blueskycycling.com on 50% off for $25/each. Will report back in the coming weeks.

#63 ·
rideitall said:
Still looking for that tire this fairly light yet has a stronger sidewall, say something like a real 2.35 or 2.4 front will 1.5 ply.
Again sorry about to take this thread of topic i just wanted to pass along some info that i learned from the maxxis rep regarding EXO reinforced sidewalls.
As i'm sure most of you heard the new single ply minion is out in a 2.5 single ply with the EXO sidewall.
The maxxis rep was also saying that this EXO sidewall has always been in 2.4 Ardent and Advantage as well as will be an option soon on a 2.25 Ardent.
Hope this helps for your search of 1.5 ply tires!

#65 ·
I thought i'd repost my bike since i made a few changes
2009 Giant Reign 0
-2011 36 Fox Talas RLC w/Kashima coat
-KS i950r adjustable seat post with 5" travel
-RaceFace Bashgaurd
-Chromag Ranger Stem LTD 70mm (50mm was too short)
-RaceFace SIXC Carbon handelbars 730mm wide!
-Blackspire Sub4 Pedals
-Stans Flow Rims laced to Hope Pro II hubs

#67 ·
murrdogg11 said:
I thought i'd repost my bike since i made a few changes
2009 Giant Reign 0
-2011 36 Fox Talas RLC w/Kashima coat
-KS i950r adjustable seat post with 5" travel
-RaceFace Bashgaurd
-Chromag Ranger Stem LTD 70mm (50mm was too short)
-RaceFace SIXC Carbon handelbars 730mm wide!
-Blackspire Sub4 Pedals
-Stans Flow Rims laced to Hope Pro II hubs
What size frame? What is the bike's weight?

#69 ·
1.5 ply Minions??? is that worth something?
I run a 2.5" DHF double ply Minion and it is roughly the same size as schwalbes 2.4" , it does weight more, but after a grueling weekend i didnt feel them any more.. Minions are great, but not in the wet, they get clogged although they dont become extremely slippery as the schwalbes.

#70 ·
To answer a few questions...
-Frame size large
-Fork price $900 from bike bling (10% off, although i believe you can get em at universal for 15% off now)
-Bike weight TBD...will let you know in a few days
-10 Talas 36R Compared to 11 Tallas 36RLC
for me the new fork feels much plusher on big hits but most importantly has much better small bump sensitivity, which was lacking on my 10 talas. i think its because of the new coating but not sure.
I like the two position travel setting, although its currently not working. I dont think i'll ever use the lockout and i wish they would have still put on the high speed compression adjustment. all in all i'm happy with the upgrade.

#72 ·
cesalec said:
Now Im wating for my Big bettey to arrive and see how they feel.
Officially the Big Betty 2.4 is indeed BIG:eek: , much Bigger than the Fat Albert 2.4, it wont fit as a rear tire to a Reign 2008 :nono: , I dont know how is this situation with the 2009, 2010, and of course 2011 to come. :skep: :skep: :skep: :skep: :skep: :skep: :skep:

#73 · (Edited)

I am new here and new to mnt biking in general. This is my first bike and with only 2 rides, I can say I made a pretty good choice.

2008 Reign 0 size small
2010 RS Revelation Race 150 20maxle
2011 Fox RP23
Mavic Crossmax XL (overkill for me, want lighter wheels)
Trail King UST (way too heavy but work good)
Sunline V1 AM 50mm stem
Giant contact riser bar 690mm
Giant contact seatpost
Selle An-atomica titanico saddle
XT cranks 175mm (wish they were 170!)
XTR 11-34 cass and chain
Brakes and drivetrain stock
Wellgo ti pedals
Alligator Wind Cutter rotors
Oury grips
26.4 lbs as in the pic

Brenda

Updated pic and new cables, pedals, tires, rotors.

#75 ·
Orange Reign

Hi guys
Just finished doing up my 2009 Reign 0 and thought id'e share it with ya's
Iv'e given it a Custom Orange respray because i thought the silver was a bit dull in my opinion.
Size is a small.
Ive added a KS i900r seat post and yes,its as good as everyone says.
Chromag handlebars and stem with Odi grips.
Nuke proof pedals.
Nobby Nic 2.25 Tubeless tyres.
KMC X9 Gold chain
and the rest is pretty much factory.
Weight in current form is 28.71 pounds/13.05 Kilo's

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.