Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I'm running a 35mm with 740mm bar. Love the combo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotwhls View Post
    So I just ordered a Spike Spank 35mm stem for my reign. I have the Answer 780mm DH bars. I had a 70mm stem with these same bars and I just wanted to try something shorter. Is anyone else running a 35mm length stem on there reign or am I crazy going this short?
    Stem is all bout your self riding preference ,yr arm length. Mine 50mm w/ 760mm bars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    I tested my Fox Van-R without the coil spring on it and it went through full range with no problem...

So I ended up getting a new monarch pluc rc3 debonair in 7.875 x 2.00. Let all the air out, at full compression it is a mm or two from the front derailleur cable. The shock, however, still has 5-8 mm left on the shaft, indicating an internal spacer seperates this from the 2.25 stoke model.

My question remains the same: how would I run an extra inch of travel on my 2010 reign size Large? Are you guys not running from derailleurs? Obviously removing the derailleur fixes this. Furthermore, are you implying one would buy a new shock at $500+, press in the hardware, mount it up, only to cycle it and find it does not fit? What then? Sell it on ebay and buy the shorter stroke?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've been riding a 2013 Reign 1 for 12 months and are really enjoying it. I'm now trying to decide on whether to start spending money on upgrading the fork and shock or is the money better spent on buying the new 650B model or even the Trance SX. My bike has the OD2 system so a fork upgrade also means new upper headset and stem which makes it more expensive, thanks Giant. I was looking at the X Fusion Slant with 160mm travel which looks to be the 26" version of the Sweep. I've read a good review on this when compared head to head with the Pike. Anyone had any experience with this Fork?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by clone185 View Post
    I've been riding a 2013 Reign 1 for 12 months and are really enjoying it. I'm now trying to decide on whether to start spending money on upgrading the fork and shock or is the money better spent on buying the new 650B model or even the Trance SX. My bike has the OD2 system so a fork upgrade also means new upper headset and stem which makes it more expensive, thanks Giant. I was looking at the X Fusion Slant with 160mm travel which looks to be the 26" version of the Sweep. I've read a good review on this when compared head to head with the Pike. Anyone had any experience with this Fork?
    PIKE is definitely THE fork for now. Not sure bout the new 36 thought.

I've have same mindset with you, sell the bike, get a new 2015 reign 2. Instead changing parts and repairs which might or definitely cost even more than and complete bike upgrade.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Definitely worth considering, still waiting for all of prices to be released here in NZ but it's looks like they could be around 10-12% more than the USA prices based on the 2015 XTC 29er which has already been listed on some local bike shop websites.

mtbr member
    Anyone fit a Cane Creek Double Barrel shock?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    Anyone fit a Cane Creek Double Barrel shock?
    I just fitted a Pike 150 RCT3 on my 2013 Reign 1 tonight. The DB Inline will arrive Monday. I'll let you know how it changes the ride. I was in the same boat as most of you. Sell the bike and get a 650b or upgrade the suspenders on this bike. I opted for the latter. This is a great bike. And surprisingly, the Pike with an uncut steerer is lighter than the stock Talas 32; and slackened the head angle another .5 degree.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbis1 View Post
    I just fitted a Pike 150 RCT3 on my 2013 Reign 1 tonight. The DB Inline will arrive Monday. I'll let you know how it changes the ride. I was in the same boat as most of you. Sell the bike and get a 650b or upgrade the suspenders on this bike. I opted for the latter. This is a great bike. And surprisingly, the Pike with an uncut steerer is lighter than the stock Talas 32; and slackened the head angle another .5 degree.
    I ended up going with the Rockshox Pike 150mm Solo air, same as you and so far it seems really good. I've only done a short night ride and I'm impressed so far. This weekend I'll give it a good hit out and dial it in a bit more. I kicked around the idea of the dual position 160mm fork but I think the 150mm offers a better balance. I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts on the DB Inline because I'm considering doing that too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Same difficult decision. Keep my 2013 Reign 1 and upgrade it with a 160 Pike or move to Reign 27.5 2?
    Any help will be appreciated!
    Last edited by tjteo; 09-15-2014 at 12:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I suppose that you should answer this question with your wallet. Your bike is great and only 2 years old so I don't see why you would you like to sell it?

Yes there is a lot of hype about 27.5 but honestly I am not convinced to sell my 2013 Reign SX in order to buy a new 27.5.

Regarding the Pike everyone says that it is a great fork and quite cheap compared to Fox 36, BOS etc. So you can sell your existing fork and buy it without overspending.

On the other side you can sell your bike and buy the new Reign 27.5 but I suppose that you will need to spend much more money so as I said decide with your wallet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you still enjoy riding your Reign then upgrade it. The 26 inch Reign is a aggressive trail bike while the new Reign is a long wheel based enduro race bike, two completely different bikes in my opinion. Where I ride there is a 400m vertical climb to access the trails so that's why I decided to go with the 150mm pike, I didn't want to ruin it's ability to climb well. I was seriously considering getting the Trance SX but I was still enjoy riding my Reign so upgrading it made more sense plus it cost a lot less to change the fork rather than changing the whole bike.

2010 Glory custom FR
    As for Reign, wheels 27,5 is not the best upgrade... it's geometry.
    My wife has got 2012 Reign 2. Few months ago I ordered 2015 Reign for her. Few weeks ago I demoed 2015 Reign Advanced 0 in Whistler.
    I loved the bike. It rides so much better.
    If you can afford complete new bike. Go for it! You won't regret ;>
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by frango View Post
    As for Reign, wheels 27,5 is not the best upgrade... it's geometry.
    My wife has got 2012 Reign 2. Few months ago I ordered 2015 Reign for her. Few weeks ago I demoed 2015 Reign Advanced 0 in Whistler.
    I loved the bike. It rides so much better.
    If you can afford complete new bike. Go for it! You won't regret ;>
    Thanks for the advice. I've got little time on 27.5 wheels and wouldn't mind getting into one soon. Especially with the slacker geometry of the Enduro style bikes. I'm personally going to give it another year or 2 of riding this bike to see if 27.5 is a trend or a new industry standard. With all the hype from nearly every bike manufacturer, seems like it's going to be the new standard.

As for anyone looking for a Pike, I found a great deal from Merlin Cycles in the UK. All my orders typically go to my local shop, but the Pike at Merlin was just over $600 with free 3 day shipping to my door. Yes, 3 days from the UK to Portland, OR for free. Just a heads up...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Has anyone put a medium cage rear derailleur on their reign with a 2x setup? Total capacity of the medium cage is 35 teeth, and the stock gearing is set up for 37 teeth. But Santa cruz uses 37 teeth stock gearing with a medium cage XT rear derailleur.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I have no plans moving from 26 build anytime soon. I'm thinking of the next upgrade. Modify my Lyrik or upgrade my rear shock. Though I have not had any issues with my rear shock. I just got this frame this year brand new from Giant. 2011 Giant Reign 0 for reference.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just put a x fusion vengeance and a rockshox monarch plus rc3 on my reign 0 and a set of guide rsc brakes should be here next week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Has anyone put a medium cage rear derailleur on their reign with a 2x setup? Total capacity of the medium cage is 35 teeth, and the stock gearing is set up for 37 teeth. But Santa cruz uses 37 teeth stock gearing with a medium cage XT rear derailleur.
    I have used both a medium and short cage on a 2x setup. With the short cage (SRAM X9) I was running a 36/22t on the front, and a 11-34 cassette. After a mishap with a rock I was forced to purchase something new and since I wanted a clutch and it was the right price, I went with a new SLX medium cage. With that switch I also changed my cassette to 11-36. There is slight drag on the 36t but not that bad that it's noticeable.
    Last edited by beach_boy; 09-15-2014 at 02:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Madiba View Post
    Thomson X4 1.5 stem on my Reign 1.

Attachment 885846Attachment 885843Attachment 885844
    Madiba,

How did you get that 1.5 stem to fit on your steerer? The OD2 is 1 1/4" ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I can now say after a test ride yesterday that the Pike 150 is legit. I am unbiased as this is my first Rockhox fork ever. I usually just ride whatever comes on the bike so this is my first fork upgrade. Just rolling thru the berms and rollers from the parking lot to the trailhead of Sandy Ridge, I could already feel the difference in the Pike vs the Talas 32. The pike is incredibly stiff and much plusher in its compression stroke. It's not just marketing hype surrounding this fork, it is truly a great upgrade. It has transformed my bike to be something I've been trying to achieve with the Talas 32 for over a year.

Cane Creek DB Inline thoughts to come next week...

mtbr member
    Awesome Drewbis. Though I have an older Lyrik. When I put it side by side to my Fox 32 it made it look like a toy. Can't wait to see what you think of the CC DB.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sounds good Drewbis1. Rained all day Saturday so couldn't get out to try mine. It's been fine today so the tracks should be drying out, will head out in a couple of hours for a ride.
    I've owned four bikes now with Fox 32 forks, talas and float models and I can't say I rate them very high. They are ok but not great, maybe the 34s and 36s are better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Is this how the Reign is supposed to be? With a Pike and DBinline?
    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-photo-1-.jpgGiant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    From factory? Yes!!! Any ride reviews?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Not yet. Hopefully will get out this weekend, but also looking to ride the big bike.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast