Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose86
    I've made a few changes from stock setup.

-Fox 36 Talas RC2 (2010') (this is the most important upgrade, which really widens the bike's potential)
    -Fox DHX AIR 4.0 (2.25 stroke, and a small volume air can)
    -Truvativ AKA stem 60mm (stock was too short)
    -Mavic Crossline wheelset (more of a AM wheelset, and I needed something with a 20mm thru-axle)
    -200mm rotors (f+r), which came with the wheelset, and I weigh nearly 95 kgs with gear, so the standard rotors weren't giving enough stopping power.
    -Maxxis ardent 2.4 f+r

Benefits from upgrades:

-Slacker head-angle/more travel makes the bike a lot more capable on the descents. The travel adjust is a necessity, however, as I use it all the time for climbing and general riding. If you're going to get 160mm forks, get a travel adjust one for sure. It also makes it more stable at speed, with the longer wheelbase. The stock forks are ok for general trail use, but if you want to hit downhill specific runs, you'll want a bigger fork

-The new shock rarley bottoms (more progressive from the small air can), which was a real problem on the stock Rp2 XV shock. It seems to use the travel better, with more mid-stroke support, and feels significantly smoother. The new shock also gave the Reign 170 mm travel, which once again, gives a smoother ride on downhill specific runs (I do lifted runs with it as well as general AM riding).

-Wheels are stronger/laterally stiff, but are about 300 grams heavier. The tyres are a lot heavier, but are good for the downs (bad for climbing though, but I mainly climb for fitness so it's OK, kind-of).

This bike was pretty awesome to begin with, but, the upgrades I've made have really turned this bike into a real 'all-mountain' bike, which can still climb, but absolutely rips on the descents. It's not as smooth as a dedicated down-hill bike, but, it's about 80% there, compared to around 50%.

so hey...you put a rear shock with a 2.25 stroke rather than a 2.00 stroke..
    can you please elaborate on what this does to the rear suspension....
    ie...less bottom out? less blowing through midstroke travel? more travel? any drawbacks?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11
    so hey...you put a rear shock with a 2.25 stroke rather than a 2.00 stroke..
    can you please elaborate on what this does to the rear suspension....
    ie...less bottom out? less blowing through midstroke travel? more travel? any drawbacks?
    thanks
    Since the shock has .25 inch longer stroke and the reign has a 3:1 ratio you get an extra 3/4" travel. Not a huge difference but it's useful since the linkage doesn't provide much progression until the last bit of travel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap
    Jose, where did you get the new shock? Any reason why you bought a 4 instead of a 5 DHX?
    &, can I ask how much you paid for it?
    I bought it from CRC. No reason in particular, I actually did buy a 5.0, but it the size was misquoted to me. In the end, I just went with the 4.0, because it was cheap and there wasn't anything else going. It's really good though. I find that with the progressive stroke, the bottom-out resist is somewhat redundant.

I paid $260.00 AUD brand new.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

2.25 Stroke

Murrdogg11

It's hard to say, really, since the shock is slightly different. The problem with the stock Rp2 (Aus stock) was that with the correct sag it always blew through the travel. It may be because I am a little on the heavy side, but it is a problem many people have encountered. I figured that the extra travel wouldn't hurt, and I heard of a few people doing it, so I did to experiment. The results are pretty good so far, it doesn't change the stroke at all, it just gives it a bit more of a bottomless feel (as opposed to the stock). As far as I can tell, there aren't any drawbacks, although I did have to shift the front derailleur up, as it would have made contact at full compression.
    As a side note, I would like to try a few other setups, maybe a coil shock (I've heard of pretty good results), and maybe a DHX 5.0 (large volume).

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Have a question... really want to change out the rear hub to a hope pro II. But I am on a budget and will only be able to do the back for the moment, which I don't think is an issue (or is it?). Can I lace the pro II to the stock WTB laserdisc rim in the mean time or will I have to replace the rim as well? Keep in mind I eventually want to go hope pro II front and back with DT 5.1s and DT comps. BUT until then, is there an issue with just getting the new rear hub and lacing it up to the stock rim with some new spokes?
    Be Fast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    im no expert on lacing wheels, i think you can use the rims but may need new spokes...
    however, what i do know, the cheapest place for hope hubs or custom built wheelsets with hope hubs is chain reaction cycles...even after shipping/duty to north america.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I guess I can either experiment or just get the back wheel built up completely and wait to do the front. The latter of the two seems like the more intelligent thing to do anyway. Besides I am not too concerned about anyone asking why I rock two different wheels haha. Biking on a budget right. If it goes it goes.
    Be Fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Updated Reign1

Here a some shots of my updated 09 Reign1.

Stock except:

2010 Fox Talas 36
    2011 Fox Van RC Coil (2.875x2.25)
    Azonic Outlaw wheelset (203 rotors f+r)
    Maxxis High Roller 2.35 UST tires
    Thomson 70mm 0 degree rise stem
    Sunline V-one bars - 745mm cut to 730mm
    Chromag Trailmaster DT saddle
    Atomlab pimpsealed pedals
    Dropped big ring - added e13 bashguard/blackspire 36t middle ring
    Ergon GA-1 grips

Weighs in at 34 lbs even.

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-reign1-1.jpg

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-reign1-2.jpg

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-reign1-3.jpg

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-reign1-4.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedshifter
    Here a some shots of my updated 09 Reign1.

Stock except:

2010 Fox Talas 36
    2011 Fox Van RC Coil (2.875x2.25)
    Azonic Outlaw wheelset (203 rotors f+r)
    Maxxis High Roller 2.35 UST tires
    Thomson 70mm 0 degree rise stem
    Sunline V-one bars - 745mm cut to 730mm
    Chromag Trailmaster DT saddle
    Atomlab pimpsealed pedals
    Dropped big ring - added e13 bashguard/blackspire 36t middle ring
    Ergon GA-1 grips

Weighs in at 34 lbs even.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REIGN1-4.jpg 
Views:	3791 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	555330
    nice one..
    how do you like the high roller ust's?
    what about going to the coil shock with extra travel?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks. Kinda mixed on the Highrollers. HR 2.35 are narrower than my Nevegal 2.35's. They are light, fast rolling tires, but I feel they are a bit narrow for the size. As for the coil, night and day difference coming from the DHX4.0, and at 2.25 travel you gain extra travel. Much better handling on jump landing/ drops and rough downhills. No bottom out issues at all (550lb. spring - 195 rider weight.) Climbing with the coil feels no different than with ProPedal on the DHX 4.0. I had to press out the bottom bushing on the VanRC to get the Giant 8mm shock mounting pin to fit (Van RC is spec'd 6mm.) Other than that.....would highly recommend switching to the coil.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I skimmed all the post...I want a 2.25 stroke dhx 5.0 on my reign. If you bottom it out will the air can slam into the downtube. I wanted the new reign x but with all the breakage it will be fine just uping the travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedshifter
    Thanks. Kinda mixed on the Highrollers. HR 2.35 are narrower than my Nevegal 2.35's. They are light, fast rolling tires, but I feel they are a bit narrow for the size. As for the coil, night and day difference coming from the DHX4.0, and at 2.25 travel you gain extra travel. Much better handling on jump landing/ drops and rough downhills. No bottom out issues at all (550lb. spring - 195 rider weight.) Climbing with the coil feels no different than with ProPedal on the DHX 4.0. I had to press out the bottom bushing on the VanRC to get the Giant 8mm shock mounting pin to fit (Van RC is spec'd 6mm.) Other than that.....would highly recommend switching to the coil.

ok thanks again for the info...im in need of some new tires for my reign on flow rims, if anyone have some recommendations please post em here!

All Mountain Tire reccomendations for Flow Rims

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Dont think there would be an issue with the canister hitting the downtube with the 5.0. When switching to 2.25 travel, I needed to raise the front derailleur maybe 1/8 inch to make sure the bottom swing arm does not come in contact when bottoming the shock out.

mtbr member

2008 Reign 01

I've swapped out the stock brakes for the Avid Code 5 ( I love the stopping power)
    Deity Stem
    and most recently installed the Raceface Atlas AM cranks ( love it)

my next move is toward the 2011 Fox 36 Float, seems the logical thing to do
    since there isn't much of a weight penalty and I'll be gaining so much more out of the bike.
    Although I have to admit the stock Fox 32 140mm Float has held up on everything I've thrown at it (Sun Peaks, Rossland, Beacon, 7-Summits) all those places its done really well.

Anyway I just love this bike and the coloring, I'll probably add a Trance X to the lineup this year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-atlas-001.jpg  

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-zoo-062010-0033.jpg  

Just Ride.
    Are there any warranty issues with changing the stock 32 fork to a 36?

I was considering it but I was thinking it might mess up the geometry and make the bike feel unbalanced...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    it doesnt feel unbalanced, but it does slacken your head tube angle and seat tube angle which makes climbing less efficient. this can be overcome by having a travel adjust fork.
    the only complaint i have is that it added a half an inch or so the the wheelbase.

Think I can make that?
    Oct 2005
    Here's another one - 2009 Reign 0.

Upgrades:
    2010 Fox 36 Talas
    CrankBros 4in Adjustable seatpost (Can't live without this thing)
    Wider Bars
    Shorter Stem
    ODI Grips
    XT Pedals
    WTB Rocket V Seat
    Race Face Bash Guard
    Better Kenda's, i flatted the stock's more than any tire i've ever owned.

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-reign-0.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nice one. Is that an XL frame? It looks huge for some reason. What wheelset is that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.X
    Are there any warranty issues with changing the stock 32 fork to a 36?

I was considering it but I was thinking it might mess up the geometry and make the bike feel unbalanced...

yes changing your fork to a 36 does void the warranty. i dont know how sticky they are on this i just always figured if i had a problem i'd take the fork off first or borrow a 32 from someone.

Think I can make that?
    Oct 2005
    XL and it looks even bigger in person, if you don't have 9 3/4 of steer, you cant fit the fork. Biggest dang bike i've ever owned. The L was just a little too small for me.

I've got a mismatched wheel set, the rear is the stock WTB, the front is from my buddies Trek Remedy. He won a new wheel set in a raffle and graciously sold me the 1 year old front. So its a Bontrager Rhythm, I'm thinking of making it tubeless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Can anyone confirm fittment of a 2.4 maxxis advantage on the rear of a 2009 Giant reign?
    It currently has 2.35 Nevegals with some room to spare.
    I am having a hard time finding an appropriate tire to run on the rear of my reign tubeless on some flow rims. it seems you need the bigger sizes to get a strong sidewall and the advantage 2.4 single ply has a reinforced sidewall where as the 2.25 doesn't.
    other recommendations welcome;
    criteria;
    good climbing
    strong sidewall
    good rolling
    good grip mostly dry but good for wet days also.
    easy tubeless conversion on flow rims

Tire Geek O_o
    Reign 0 2008, basically all stock except:

- stem: now using a 60mm Raceface Atlas AM ; i have felt a big difference bombing down trails, but it definitely makes climbing difficult and the front nervous on the ups.

- pedals: 50/50 Crankbros , reason, is easier to avoid big crashes with platforms than clips and they looked nice with my Reign´s color.

- Grips: Ergon GA1 white, amazing grips, after this I might never go back.

Next upgrades:
    - complete bike for a 2011 =))))

or

- Fork: Talas with 15QR axle
    - Hubs: Hope Pro II
    - Wheelset - but which?
    Last edited by cesalec; 07-28-2010 at 10:33 AM.

24v
    Scratch That Itch
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11
    Can anyone confirm fitment of a 2.4 maxxis advantage on the rear of a 2009 Giant reign?
    That should fit fine. I am running a 2.5 Maxxis Minion DHF on the rear right now, and had a 2.5 Nevegal on there before that.

Tire Geek O_o

ditch the Nevegals

by the way, after 10 rides each time having pinch flats in bot tires at the end of the ride, I ditched the Nevegals, and started riding Schwalbes, on the dry , loosy stuff, or gravel roads, the FA Alberts 2.4" with Snake Skin are nothign but great, never flated or pinched.

On the wet and off-camber though...they are scary and plainly gripless. Now Im wating for my Big bettey to arrive and see how they feel.

Think I can make that?
    Oct 2005
    This is actually my 3rd Giant bike, VT, Faith and the Reign, and on all 3 I had to replace the stock Tires. Nevegals are really good tires and I've been using them for 6 years, just the ones they provided on the Reign (like all their other bikes) blow.

I just wish they would put tires with thicker casing on the bikes, I'm not selecting the bike because its sub 30lbs without the pedals...

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast