Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Sorry, didn't realize they changed the stroke for the newer models. Should be good then.
    No - they didn't. But you can simply take a shock for a Reign-X (2.25" stroke) and replace the stock Reign shock (2" stroke) with no changes to geo. The eye-to-eye on both shocks is 2.875"...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Yes. I am aware of this. I have a 2.25" stroke shock on my Reign. The eye-to-eye of both shocks is *exactly* the same. Thus... there is NO geometry change - only increased travel.

Am I missing something?
    Skared, I have a 2008 Reign and run a Monarch Plus 57mm stroke, it works great. I'm not aware of anything major that has changed in the area of the shock in the 2013, so I'm guessing fit will not be an issue for you. On the tune, I had a high comp tune and it was definitely too harsh for me, so I agree on the M compression tune choice. I ended up messing with my shim stack until it was close to a med tune. I also have the high volume air can and ended up using the RS rubber band things to reduce the volume to add some more progressiveness to avoid bottom out (was bottoming on 4-5 footers to flat only tho) so the LV air can might be perfect. I'm running 1x10 so I don't have a front derailleur, some folks on this thread caution that the 57mm stroke shocks can sometimes hit but from what I've read most have remedied this by moving the derailleur down a bit.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well after a day of research i found out that i just cant find a 200/57mm stroke shock with low volume canister. As soon as i look at 57mm they are all high volume? Is that an issue for a light rider like me (70kg)? I also got a great deal on 200/51mm monarch plus but also is high volume canister. They are all MM tuned. So if i you have any information about my dilemma i would really appreciate it. Ty in advance

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sch3ll3 View Post
    Well after a day of research i found out that i just cant find a 200/57mm stroke shock with low volume canister. As soon as i look at 57mm they are all high volume? Is that an issue for a light rider like me (70kg)? I also got a great deal on 200/51mm monarch plus but also is high volume canister. They are all MM tuned. So if i you have any information about my dilemma i would really appreciate it. Ty in advance
    I would say you're fine with HV canister...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Re: Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)

Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
    I would say you're fine with HV canister...
    I would concur. The bonus with the HV canister is you can add spacers to reduce the volume. In other words, you can make an HV canister the same as a LV canister.

With that said, my 2013 Reign 2 started leaking down (I had an LV canister - even if though giant specs the bike with HV ??) . The shop rebuilt it with a HV canister.... So far, I preferred the LV when pedalling.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ty for reply. There is one final question if i may... so i was offered a monarch rt3 2013 hv mm really cheap, the catch is that is tuned for a bike that nas 150mm rear travel, meaning that it has 2,63:1 leverage ratio and reign has 3:1 (and i am going to increase to a 170mm of travel on reign). So do you think i should go for this costum tuned shock or no? This is the last i ask of your help

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sch3ll3 View Post
    Ty for reply. There is one final question if i may... so i was offered a monarch rt3 2013 hv mm really cheap, the catch is that is tuned for a bike that nas 150mm rear travel, meaning that it has 2,63:1 leverage ratio and reign has 3:1 (and i am going to increase to a 170mm of travel on reign). So do you think i should go for this costum tuned shock or no? This is the last i ask of your help
    If the price is right, you can order different tune pistons from your LBS, and it's pretty easy to install. If you get the shock cheap enough don't worry about the tune, you can always retune it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I had been running a Monarch Plus RC3 on my 2010 Reign and quite liking it. Picked up a new shock X-Fusion Vector Air HLR to try out, really liked the Vector. A couple of weeks ago I put the Monarch back on and rode some of the same trails I had been riding with the Vector. There is a pretty big difference.

First off I live in Vancouver and ride my Reign on the shore on most of the same trails I would ride my bigger bike.

The Monarch handles most of the trails quite nicely, but does get overwhelmed on really rough trails or on g-out type hits in that you feel the bottom out. I run 30% sag, which feels really nice over everything else. For pedally trails or smoother flow trails 25-27% sag works, but feels too harsh over rough terrain. Overall the shock feels lively and works excellent.

On the smoother trails the Vector is not quite a lively as the Monarch and I tend to add a little more LSC. The rebound adjustment is a little hard to get to so I don't mess with it too much. The rougher trails is where the Vector out performs the Monarch. I still run about 30% sag, but do not bottom out or at least I don't feel them.

As good as the Monarch is, it simply does not provide the amount of external adjustment as the Vector. So for those of you worried about which air can to get on the Monarch, you might want to consider going another direction and getting a shock like the Vector that provide for a wider tuning range and can handle everything you can throw at it and more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    One more Reign 2008:

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Just wanted to share my do-it-all '11 Reign specs/mods...

suspension:

7.875x2.25 fox van RC shock with Ti spring, roller bearing in place of upper DU bushing.

fox 36 van 180 lowered to 155mm (for the slightly more offset and extra bushing overlap than the 160 van)

wheels:

pacenti TL28 rims, front 650b/27.5 with hope hub and neo-moto 2.3 tire, rear 26" w/king hub-Funn bolts and rampage 2.3 tire ...both ghetto tubeless

drivetrain:

X9 9sp shifters, XT dyna-sys 10sp rear derailleur (yes mine works fine w/X9 9sp shifters no spacer), SLX front derailleur, XT 11-32 9sp cassette, raceface turbine 22-32-42 front rings (yep, 42 not 44) XTR/DA 9sp chain.

brakes/everything else

SLX brakes 203fr/160rr

thomson stem/post

flite saddle

answer carbon bar

PD540 pedals

roughly stripped the white paint, and lightly brushed with 000 steel wool...

And finally/most recently, I removed 5mm from the bottom of my head tube to get the steering angle as close to where I want it as it's going to get with the longer fork and bigger 650b front wheel....

over the past two years I have tinkered with nearly every wheel combination on this bike (26/26, 650/26, 650/650, 29/650) and at least three different suspension setups (what it came with, reba 29er fork/monarch rt3 shock, and what it has now) , and I have said this before, it is truly the swiss army knife of bikes..

pics:

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-a5f18b22-2615-4dbb-ba8d-d57eb1d2cfb5-351-00000002f88be63c_zps97bbe11f.jpg

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-f6b6469d-b196-4680-b370-4eedc6e2193a-351-00000002c3fd6a30_zps1bab582c.jpg

**late edit** haha, I need to get out a pick and clean off that leftover paint!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hi All,

Looking to swap out forks from my standard reign large 2012.

Look ingot o go a Rock Shox Pike rct3 dual position 160, I was wondering if any one has any advice and experience with these on your reign? How will head angle be affected? Any information would be thankful

Cheers

fraid of heights
    How was your rear tire clearance with the 650b. Why did you go back to a 67er? Is the current wheel set up your favorite, or just where your at right now?

Thanks! Nice ride...
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I wanna get a remote lock out so I have to go with the monarch xx I do some pretty narly dh and some times ride xc trails its such a ***** to lock out the rear on my rl when a big hill comes up so I just leave it on descend. Do you think the xx would handle dh?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by stiingya View Post
    How was your rear tire clearance with the 650b. Why did you go back to a 67er? Is the current wheel set up your favorite, or just where your at right now?

Thanks! Nice ride...
    rear tire clearance looked a little tight at one spot with a 2.3 neo-moto, but it was really not an issue, OVERALL though I just really prefer how it rode with 29/27.5, and really really prefer how it rides now with 27.5/26...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

2011 Giant Reign 1 chain guide option

Just recently purchased a 2011 Reign. I'm really liking this bike. Still want to change the fork and rear shock. Good information on this forum. Glad to find it. One of the first things I did was to install a chain guide using a clutch mtb adapter. The Straitline Silent Guide is amazing. I use it on my DH bike as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-p4pb10083046.jpg  

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-p4pb10083050.jpg  

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-p4pb10083052.jpg  

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-p4pb10083053.jpg  

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-p4pb10083054.jpg  

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-p4pb10083055.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi ive got a 2013 medium giant reign 2, looking at swapping the rockshox revelation forks for some fox 36s, just wanting to know the minimum length the steerer tube has to be to fit with standard stem and headset? Any help much appreciated. Dan

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by danstokes29 View Post
    Hi ive got a 2013 medium giant reign 2, looking at swapping the rockshox revelation forks for some fox 36s, just wanting to know the minimum length the steerer tube has to be to fit with standard stem and headset? Any help much appreciated. Dan
    Have you tried measuring the forks you already have

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by danstokes29 View Post
    I'd be interested in that revelation for another bike I have, what model?

fraid of heights
    You couldn't do that!!! Ones a fox and ones Rockshox, they won't measure the same...

Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

mtbr member
    has anyone run the clutch adapter with a blackspire stinger with a 2x crankset? is it possible?

mtbr member
    Latest ugrades:

RaceFace Narrow Wide Chainring
    Shimano Zee Rear Derailleur
    Minion DHF up front
    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-before.jpg
    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-imag0085.jpg

Since about anything will be an upgrade from the 32, trying to decide just how much fork to upgrade to. Will a 44 or Revelation suffice, or do I go with a 55 or Lyrik? Decisions, decisions...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboardorblade View Post
    Latest ugrades:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0085.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	840704
    This landscape looks stunning! Were is it?

mtbr member
    Gooseberry Mesa. If my memory is correct it's on the practice loop. A couple weeks ago was my first time down there, and I will definitely be going back. Incredible riding and scenery.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I recently bought a used '09 Reign x1 with a Fox 36 VAN 180 FIT RC2 front fork.

I am curious about swapping the Van for a Fox 36 TALAS 160 FIT RC2.

Both forks seem like they are available used for a similar price, and I would not mind paying a little on top if necessary.

What do you guys think of this idea? I am not riding freeride/downhill type stuff and I get the impression this fork is too much for what I am riding.

Would the Talas in the 120mm position have a noticeable improvement in climbing? I know this bike will not climb like my XC bike, but it's a beast and I am looking to make it a little more pedal friendly.

Thanks!

edit: would this question be better suited as it's own topic in the Giant forum instead of a reply in this thread?

mtbr member
    My opinion, for what its worth. Over the years I've owned a number of different bikes, some with travel adjust forks and some without. Frankly, I never use it. The Reign climbs quite well as is. Additionally, travel adjustments involve more moving parts and seals. I think its safe to say any fixed travel fork will be smoother and less service-needy than one worth adjustable travel.

Quite a wordy response to say get the float!

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast