Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by madstayen View Post
    Well yeah, it all depends on what trails he'll be riding. Coil is of little use on normal trails, but it has massive advantages on dh trails and BP. Although some pro DH riders choose air over coil.
    Yup. I earn all my vert these days so I'm sticking with air. I commonly climb 5k+ on my longer rides.

if money is no problem
    I wish! I'm about to spend over a grand on a new 20" bike for my son so I'm definitely budget-conscious at the moment.

Is there a reason this Monarch is $150 less than anything else I'm seeing on ebay?
    RockShox Monarch RC3 Plus Rear Shock 7 875 x 2 25 White | eBay

Thoughts on a Float iCD? Prices are quite attractive.
    Fox Racing Float ICD Electronic Rear Shock SV Am 7 875x2" | eBay

Except for a Cloud 9, Cane Creek's offerings all seem to be out of my budget.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    EBay is quite dodgy with regards to bike parts imho, rather source it from Amazon, little bit more expensive, but better insurance/security.

That out of the way, the rs monarch plus is a very good shock, and I personaly wouldn't change it for anything else, except for the float x2. Wrt to the float icd, I have no idea how they compare to a float x2.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The M/L tune may be part of why it's cheap. Assuming that the leverage ratios on a 2011 Reign are similar to the 2015 models and I'm reading SRAM's chart right, the Low compression tune doesn't sound like a good fit.

https://qbp.com/diagrams/TechInfo/vivid.pdf
    Giant Reign 27.5'' 2015 - Linkage Design

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Well yeah, it all depends on what trails he'll be riding. Coil is of little use on normal trails, but it has massive advantages on dh trails and BP. Although some pro DH riders choose air over coil.
    There isn't much of a reason NOT to use a coil on "normal trails"... but then, again - this is a Reign. Which in and of itself is of little use on "normal" trails.

Get the coil. Put a Ti spring on it if you're watching your diet.

You can thank me later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I know a couple of guys who are riding vivids, with no complaints. You might also want to check out this forumhttp://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=166760&pagenum=1

It's for 2015 and up only, but all the suspension questions you have is covered in great detail here.

But I personally can't vouch for the vivid as I've never ridden one, but I got talked out of buying one for the reign because the monarch plus is apparently a way better shock for the Reign.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    Yup. I earn all my vert these days so I'm sticking with air. I commonly climb 5k+ on my longer rides.
    Me too.

I wish! I'm about to spend over a grand on a new 20" bike for my son so I'm definitely budget-conscious at the moment.
    Spend $200 on the 20" bike. Buy what you want. You win.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    There isn't much of a reason NOT to use a coil on "normal trails"... but then, again - this is a Reign. Which in and of itself is of little use on "normal" trails.
    I'm not even sure what this means.

Get the coil. Put a Ti spring on it if you're watching your diet.

You can thank me later.
    Which coil shock then?

Spend $200 on the 20" bike. Buy what you want. You win.
    The kid's earned it.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    I'm not even sure what this means.
    I was just meaning that's an awful lot of bike, and going down is what it does best. That said - it's my only bike so I ride it on trails "unsuitable" for a coil'ed bike.

Which coil shock then?
    I've got a simple OLD Van-R on mine and it works great. NEVER need to adjust anything. All it has is a rebound knob. Depending on how much you want to spend, you could go for something moar fancier. Nice thing - I don't think that there are many bad coil shocks.

The kid's earned it.
    Been mowin' lawns in the neighborhood? Good for him. Wait... shouldn't he be paying for it himself?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Been mowin' lawns in the neighborhood? Good for him. Wait... shouldn't he be paying for it himself?
    Earned it meaning he's clearing 10 ft tabletops and doing 3,000 ft descents on 16" wheels and a fully rigid frame. No way is his next bike is going to be some boat anchor with awful geo and parts.

Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by RMCDan; 06-15-2016 at 09:10 AM.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Well - I can tell you for sure... do NOT put a 7.875 x 2.25 X-Fusion Vector HLR coil on a 2010 Reign or any other year with the same frame. The schraeder valve won't clear the frame at full travel.

I'm getting a Cane Creek DB Coil Inline... I'll let everyone know how that one works out.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415