Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Bar and stem will help. I think they come stock with a 70mm stem. For what it's worth, I'm 5-7 and am planning on a 40mm. It seems the Reign has a bit longer feeling top tube, so that should help. Depending on your inseam and height you may be limited on how much drop you can get out of your dropper post.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    If you're planning to race I'd focus *directly* on lighter wheels... after the dropper. The wheels on that stock Reign 2 are likely going to be boat-anchorish.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    Picked up this 2011 Reign 2 today for $1000.00. Original owner only rode it 4 times and twice was on the road only. Had all reflectors and warning stickers still on it. Was a steal for me. This is my first full suspension bike and I'm loving it!

What would you upgrade first on the Reign 2? I'm going to slowly upgrade items as I grow in the sport with the Reign. My goal if possible is to attend an Enduro Race next Spring or Summer. Are the Reigns capable and what uprades would I need to be looking into? THANKS!

Oh yeah I made that ramp to practice jumping haha.

Attachment 820342

Thats a great deal on a great bike! I too recommend the dropper, shorter stem and wider/lower rise bar. I also recommend getting rid of the stock Elixir 1's (they are trash IMO) and getting a different seat. Eventually, once you get into riding more, I would upgrade the suspension (front and back).

mtbr member

My Reign

My 2011 Reign, great Bike i ride everything on it & The Reign loves it & always puts a smile on my dial I'm 5ft 7 & 70kg so frame is a small & mods are a listed, Fox 2012 36 Talas, 700mil SRAM bar, 70mil stem,Sun ringle charger pro tubeless wheel set, Xo Shifter & derail, modified RP2 rear shock - shimmed & 350 psi nitrogen for pro pedal stiffness, Hans dampf front tyre & Purgatory 2.3 rear both tubeless, Reverb seat post. Bike currently Weighs 13.5KG but future plans include 1X11 carbon cranks which will shed some grams. All mods listed made a big difference to performance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-image.jpg  

Life's too short to be soft

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Does anyone else find that their cable creak by the first side mount on their downtubes? Any suggestions on how to silence it?

mtbr member
    Where at? A few more detail?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboardorblade View Post
    Where at? A few more detail?
    Right at the point where the brake and rear derailluer cables are zap strapped to the frame. It's the very first attachment points, right by the welds for the top & bottom tube and the headtube.

mtbr member
    Gotcha. I'm not a fan of how Giant routes the rear derailleur. My thought is that the more bends or curves a line has to make, the worse its performance will be. Or the quicker it will degrade. Not as much of an issue with hydraulic lines, but still (feel free to ignore my stupid long brake cable ) . I have everything routed and connected to the top tube, and it seems to make for a much cleaner setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hello everyone!
    Such a great topic! Loads of useful info here I'll soon post more exact photos of my mods on reign
    I got a question to you - do you think if this angleset would fit my frame? (it is 2008 reign 2) - 1 5 Degree EC44 - ZS44 - Angle Headset Semi-Integrated type
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-dsc_0138.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sznajder View Post
    Hello everyone!
    Such a great topic! Loads of useful info here I'll soon post more exact photos of my mods on reign
    I got a question to you - do you think if this angleset would fit my frame? (it is 2008 reign 2) - 1 5 Degree EC44 - ZS44 - Angle Headset Semi-Integrated type
    I think you need an EC44-ZS49 eg this one is for an old style glory may be the same for old style Reigns 1 0 Degree EC44 - ZS49 - Tapered Headtube Reducer e g Old Giant Glory

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    nope, the one he has linked is the correct one.
    straight 44 HT on the 08-10 reigns.
    just make sure you choose the one for the correct HT length.(L-XL have too long HTs for the listed options)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thank you guys for your help!
    HT is 14,48cm so the 137-145mm should be all right

mtbr member
    Is it me or did all these pictures get deleted? I'm looking for someone who has done a 2011 or up Chainring guide like a MRP or some sort? Any solutions? From what I have read many said issues with the bb? I am planning on just going single in the front.

mtbr member
    I think they did get deleted. I have a 2011 and had to get an adapter. Here's mine: Giant Reign - bikeboardorblade's Bike Check - Vital MTB
    If you're interested and in the U.S. I'll sell the adapter and the guide to you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 24v View Post
    Here is my bike, and all of its current mods.

09 Reign 1
    -Hayes Stroker Ace brakes 203/180 (I like these much better than the stock elixirs)
    -Hope hubs with Spank Rims and DT spokes (heavier than stock WTB wheels, but also stiffer)
    -Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 dual ply tires(similiar traction to the stock Nevegals, more durable sidewall)
    -Shimano SLX crankset (I like the gearing better(36/22), and have no need for a big ring)
    -Ethirteen DRS Bash/Chain Guide (works great to keep the chain on when going over rocky terrain)
    -Kona Wah Wah pedals (bike came with clipless, not my thing)
    -Crank Bros Joplin seatpost (a must have for any bike imho)
    -WTB Rocket V seat (much better on my ass than that horrible Fizik seat)
    -Thomson 70mm 0 rise stem (stock 90mm was too long, the 70 is much better for downhill riding, and only slightly worse for climbing)
    -RaceFace Atlas FR Bars(I cut them down to 710mm. The extra width, and lower rise fits me better than the stock mid rise RaceFace)

You have the tire I wanted to get but was afraid it wasn't gonna fit I have a 2013 reign with the revalation front shock I do a lot of dh so this is great to hear!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    What spring rear shocks will fit a 2013 reign?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I am buying rear shock for reign 1 2013, want to get monarch plus LV can MM tune i weight about 70kg geared. I know on the old models 57mm stroke shock was an option. So can i mount 57mm on reign 1 2013? Original is 51mm stroke. Please help if someone know, because i must place my order tommorow. Thx

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by sch3ll3 View Post
    I am buying rear shock for reign 1 2013, want to get monarch plus LV can MM tune i weight about 70kg geared. I know on the old models 57mm stroke shock was an option. So can i mount 57mm on reign 1 2013? Original is 51mm stroke. Please help if someone know, because i must place my order tommorow. Thx
    Yes - as long as the eye-to-eye is the same the stroke is irrelevant.

Huffy Rider
    Why a M tune on the compression? Leverage ratio calls for a H. I have the MH HV and run it in the mid setting 95% of the time. I couldn't imagine the compression being any softer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well i was told MM would be fine. So do you actually run this shock on reign? Since i am not a big guy (70kg with gear on) i thought MM tune will be ok. How much do you weight if its not a secret? Thanks for answer both of you, really appreciated.

Huffy Rider
    I run this shock on my 08 Reign. I got to demo this shock straight from SRAM before I purchased it, this was their recommendation. Upon further investigation, I agreed. I used to run a Pushed Fox RP-23 on it, it was crap. No pedaling platform whatsoever. I can tell a difference in pedaling this bike on the low setting and mid setting, thus my reason for asking why anyone would want a M tune. If you don't pedal chunky, steep, rocky, ugly uphill terrain like I do, then I guess the MM would work. I actually like the mid for descending, too, I ride fairly aggressive. I weigh 155 geared, about the same as you. My fork is a Pushed Rev 150, so far so good.

If you go to the longer stroke, make sure your front der. clears a bottom out. And it will steepen your HTA just a touch as well. Good luck

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post

If you go to the longer stroke, make sure your front der. clears a bottom out. And it will steepen your HTA just a touch as well. Good luck
    If the eye-to-eye is the same... how is this possible?

Huffy Rider
    The 2.25 was for the Reign X, a 6.7 in travel bike. The Reign calls for a 2.0 and is 6in travel bike. Longer stroke, more travel. Might work on a L or XL, may or may not work on a M or S. Just saying to check before you buy something that might not work. FWIW, I have a 2.0 on my regular Reign....not Reign X, a different bike. You will LOVE the new shock if you are running the stock Fox junk.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    The 2.25 was for the Reign X, a 6.7 in travel bike. The Reign calls for a 2.0 and is 6in travel bike.
    Yes. I am aware of this. I have a 2.25" stroke shock on my Reign. The eye-to-eye of both shocks is *exactly* the same. Thus... there is NO geometry change - only increased travel.

Am I missing something?

Huffy Rider
    Sorry, didn't realize they changed the stroke for the newer models. Should be good then.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast