Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by switchskier View Post
    Thanks ekoostick!! Good to hear!
    since the piston kits aren't terribly expensive or extremely difficult to install, might well be worth getting the med tune just for the sake of experimentation...nice reign tho, well done!! how did you remove the anodization? I have a paint-stripped '11 model and really like it raw....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
    since the piston kits aren't terribly expensive or extremely difficult to install, might well be worth getting the med tune just for the sake of experimentation...nice reign tho, well done!! how did you remove the anodization? I have a paint-stripped '11 model and really like it raw....
    Thanks! I just found a metal finishing place locally that did glass media blasting, took the anodization right off and cost about $100. I had planned on polishing it after, but when I got it back I liked the satin-ish finish more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks! I just found a metal finishing place locally that did glass media blasting, took the anodization right off and cost about $100. I had planned on polishing it after, but when I got it back I liked the satin-ish finish more.
    nice, glad it worked out!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Giant Reign 1, 2010

I've bought it new and then started to change the components. I've got these mods for now:

22/36/Bash and Shaman Enduro chain tensioner (used Bionicon C-Guide before but smashed it)
    Specialized Command Post
    Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti tapered (much better then stock Float) used with bottom Cane Creek external bearing cup
    50 mm Raceface Chester stem
    740 mm Raceface Chester bars
    203/185 mm break discs

Eventual future mods:

Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti
    7.875/2.25 shock (still don't sure coil or spring)
    new wheelset (Mavic Crossmax SX or Hope Hoops with Flow rims)

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-1.jpgGiant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

2010 reign 1

I've been following this thread for quite a while, so I thought I'd finally put mine up....she's an absolute dream bike to ride!! Just light enough to be fun on the single-trail, but an absolute monster on the downs.

2010 Reign 1 - built up on the aggressive/DH side:

Fox Van 180 RC2
    Fox RC4 (500lb x 2.35)
    Chromag bars and saddle
    Thomson Elite seatpost and stem
    SRAM X9/X9 with colour matched Avid Codes (frame drilled out for full length cable housing)
    XT front derailleur
    XT rotors 203/180 (with custom spacers to match the rear brake)
    Red Azonic Outlaws with 2.5 Minion/2.5 Highroller combination
    Raceface Evolve DH cranks with 36/24T front rings and 12-25T road cassette
    Blue Azonic seatpost clamp and pedals
    Blackspire chainguide
    ODI ruffians and GoPro handlebar mount, and carbon fibre downtube guard to finish it off.

That's pretty much how she's going to stay...might change out the blue parts eventually, not quite sold on how they look at the moment.

Sorry for the average pic, let me know what you think!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-imag0074.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ja88 - Nice build! So clearance isn't an issue with the 2.35 shock? Impressive!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The derailleur has to be adjusted a little bit on the downtube, and the curve there messes with how it sits against the main chainring/bashguard. I ended up getting the high clamp XT derailleur to solve this. Alternatively I could have fitted an E-type derailleur to the Blackspire chainguide.

The shock upgrade has been the most noticeable change to how it rides though, so much more responsive!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just purchased a Monarch RC3 Plus 7.875x2.25 to replace the oem Fox RP2 on my 2012 Reign 2. Can anyone tell me what, if any, mounting hardware I will need?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by runningchicken View Post
    Just purchased a Monarch RC3 Plus 7.875x2.25 to replace the oem Fox RP2 on my 2012 Reign 2. Can anyone tell me what, if any, mounting hardware I will need?
    All I had to do to put an RC4 on my 2010 Reign was remove one of the shock's lower bushings and it fit straight on.

Take your original shock off and compare the openings....if they are the same it'll slide right on.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by runningchicken View Post
    you will need to fully remove the lower bushing and install the upper spacers off your old shock, UNLESS you were to intall the RWC shock-eye needle bearing kit in place of the upper bushing. (google it, huge bang for the buck improvement)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Been following this thread for a while and figured it was time to contribute. I initially built up a 2009 Reign as a budget AM bike because riding a SS DJ bike around was proving to be too much of a hassle. A couple of years later and many, many miles on it, I have finally finished building it into the bike I dreamed of. I practically use it for everything from AM, XC, to dirt jumping... and everything except for DH (I let the big bike take care of that).

Initial Build:

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-p5pb6922411.jpg

As it stands now:

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-p5pb9794933.jpg

Fox Van R (160mm)
    XFusion 02 PVA
    XFusion HiLo SL Seatpost
    Thomson Elite X4 stem (50mm)
    Race Face Atlas Bars (785mm)
    Shimano SLX Brakeset
    SRAM X9 shifters
    SRAM X9 derailleur (short)
    XTR front derailleur
    Avid Rotors 180/165mm
    Mavic Crossmax SX
    Maxxis Ardent 2.25
    Shimano SLX cranks 36/22T
    Straitline AMP Pedals
    Bionicon C-Guide
    Race Face Lightweight Bashguard
    Race Face Sniper Grips
    Last edited by beach_boy; 07-11-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Level 5 Rider!
    nice looking bike beach_boy love the faded Giant on the frame and overall low key look to the bike. Looks like it can really tear it up, nice build.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Funny how it goes in waves on the Reign mods. The 2011 - 2013 were getting lots of discussion and now of late it is the early gen 2008 to 2010. I like most of how the 2008 to 2010 Reign's were built, with the exception being the extra long head tube and and 135 x 10 rear wheel.

I had a 2008 and now have a 2010 and am quite happy with it. I have a RWC headset external cup that adds about 12-13mm height, combined with a Talas 160, it is like I am running a 170mm fork, nice and slack in full travel setting. Middle travel setting is still great for most riding and climbing with the low travel setting only used occasionally for really steep sections. On the back end of the suspension I have tried a number of shocks and am now using the Vector Air. Super plush, very controlled, and a wide range of setting to get the shock dialled to one's liking. I also have a Monarch Plus RC3 that I preferred over any Fox shocks I have tried on the Reign.

I run two wheel / tire sets, with the heavy duty set using Hope hubs on a Flow rim for the front and a i23 on the rear (10mm thru axle). I am able to notice the 10mm thru axle for the additional stiffness it provides. The lighter wheel set is a Charge Pro, running a 10 x 135 qr out back, I can feel the difference on pressing hard into corners and steep bits with g-outs. If the newer Reigns frames had gone to a 12 x 142, I would likely move to that. Both wheelsets I have are convertable to 12 x 142.

I believe the newer Reigns use the press fit BB. That is not a change that would make me feel that the bike has been improved.

The updated head tube and going to a taper is fine, would still likely run a 1 1/8 fork (as I have two for the bike), but it does provide more options which is always good. The best thing about the new head tube is that it is shorter that the 2008 - 2010 frames. With the excessively long head tube it can be more challenging finding forks with a steerer tube long enough.

I am old school on the drivetrain and am running a 2 x 9 setup 22/32 and 11-34, with bashguard and a C-Guide that keeps everything in line (yes, I know it is very antiquated, but it works). When my old XT rear D finally gives out I might try a clutch deraillear to see if that works any better, but really have no complaints over using such an out of date drivetrain.

I have fiddled lots with brakes and finally ended up finding something that I like. Avid XO Trails with 200/180 rotors, lots of power, lots of modulation and they feel nice.

There are lots of nice bikes out there, but nothing that has me wanting to give up what I have. Rides nice and is trouble free. Woo hoo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So question for everyone running 2.25 stroke shocks on the rear...

I'm still working on tuning the Monarch Plus RC3 for my 08 reign and setting the sag now is a bit different. Since Giant designed the bike for a 2.00" (51mm) stroke shock and now I'm running a 2.25" (57mm) stroke shock what has everyone else calculated the sag based on, the % stroke of 51mm or the new 57mm?

My thought is that I should calculate and set sag based on 51mm since that is what the frame geometry is designed for?

mtbr member

2011 Reign

Finally got it built up, almost to where I'd like it to be. Think we all know it can never be perfect.

Upgrades include:

Pro II hubs/729 rims
    Zee Crankset
    SRS+ thanks to Clutch adapter
    SLX Cranks
    Boobar bar
    Reberb
    32.5 lbs

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-reign.jpgGiant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-reign-drivetrain.jpgGiant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-reign-adapter.jpg

Future upgrade plans:
    Either Vengeance or Lyrik
    Zee or XT clutch rear derailleur
    50mm stem

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Just upgraded mine to the light-bicycles carbon "wide" rims. Holy crap are these nice-riding wheels...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So question for everyone running 2.25 stroke shocks on the rear...

I'm still working on tuning the Monarch Plus RC3 for my 08 reign and setting the sag now is a bit different. Since Giant designed the bike for a 2.00" (51mm) stroke shock and now I'm running a 2.25" (57mm) stroke shock what has everyone else calculated the sag based on, the % stroke of 51mm or the new 57mm?

My thought is that I should calculate and set sag based on 51mm since that is what the frame geometry is designed for?
    suspension 101....change one thing at a time...So, you've changed out your shock and have 6mm longer stroke, that's one change. Use the same amount of air pressure as you did with your old shock to eliminate that variable and go ride it, if you think you need more sag, let a little air out!

SAG is one of those things (like much of the rest of suspension-settings) that there are no hard and fast rules, just sort of general guidelines ... think about it this way, you have sag so that under your body weight you have some down travel to keep your wheel in contact over a rough stretch of trail, but at the same time you don't want to have so much down travel that you bottom out all the time...it's kind of up to you to find that sweet spot (for both the front and rear suspension),where you are using most all your travel on your usual ride, saving say that last 10% of travel for your most rough conditions... hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
    suspension 101....change one thing at a time...So, you've changed out your shock and have 6mm longer stroke, that's one change. Use the same amount of air pressure as you did with your old shock to eliminate that variable and go ride it, if you think you need more sag, let a little air out!

SAG is one of those things (like much of the rest of suspension-settings) that there are no hard and fast rules, just sort of general guidelines ... think about it this way, you have sag so that under your body weight you have some down travel to keep your wheel in contact over a rough stretch of trail, but at the same time you don't want to have so much down travel that you bottom out all the time...it's kind of up to you to find that sweet spot (for both the front and rear suspension),where you are using most all your travel on your usual ride, saving say that last 10% of travel for your most rough conditions... hope that helps!
    Thanks! Yup I get it. Just curious where others landed on this, but like you said it's a lot of personal preference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I set mine to get about 16mm of the 57mm travel with me seated in as normal a riding position i can get while being still enough to have a buddy measure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    For anyone looking into a Monarch Plus RC3, I have finally got the thing tuned to what I think is perfection. It took me three months of reading on here and messing around with the shock to get it there but I can now highly recommend this upgrade for the Reign.

Story goes like this:

I bought a used, but in great shape Monarch+ off craigslist, the tune was L rebound L compression, so I bolted it up, set the sag to about 25% and went out and rode.. ended up blowing thru the travel on almost every waterbar and the bike just felt way too mushy... Reading on here brought me across the leverage ratio guide from RS and for our Reigns with 3:1 LR they recommend the high tune. Went to my LBS and special ordered a new main piston with the high tune. Installed the new piston and rode again, but this time it the bike felt way too harsh.. I had over shot. So after some more digging on these wonderful forums I found the compression shim stack info, used the shims from my old low tune piston with shims from my new high tune piston to build a custom shim stack that is closer to a medium tune (compression and rebound). The bike is just about perfect now. I'm ~170lb geared up running ~28% sag, use 80% of the travel and bottom out on larger drops (over 4-5'). Couldn't be happier.

tl;dr - Medium tune for Monarch Plus RC3 is the way to go on the Reign!

mtbr member
    Picked up this 2011 Reign 2 today for $1000.00. Original owner only rode it 4 times and twice was on the road only. Had all reflectors and warning stickers still on it. Was a steal for me. This is my first full suspension bike and I'm loving it!

What would you upgrade first on the Reign 2? I'm going to slowly upgrade items as I grow in the sport with the Reign. My goal if possible is to attend an Enduro Race next Spring or Summer. Are the Reigns capable and what uprades would I need to be looking into? THANKS!

Oh yeah I made that ramp to practice jumping haha.

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-giantreign-7-28-2013.jpg

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    Picked up this 2011 Reign 2 today for $1000.00. Original owner only rode it 4 times and twice was on the road only. Had all reflectors and warning stickers still on it. Was a steal for me. This is my first full suspension bike and I'm loving it!

What would you upgrade first on the Reign 2? I'm going to slowly upgrade items as I grow in the sport with the Reign. My goal if possible is to attend an Enduro Race next Spring or Summer. Are the Reigns capable and what uprades would I need to be looking into? THANKS!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GiantReign 7-28-2013.jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	820342
    Dropper post and carbon wheels, IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post

Oh yeah I made that ramp to practice jumping haha.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GiantReign 7-28-2013.jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	820342
    I was in the same situation. Depending on the budget I would second the dropper post, and then a wider bar. The stock one is even xc skinny. A chainguide would also make a big difference. After that a fork. Lyrik or Vengeance.

It is definitely enduro capable. It pedals well and rips on the downhill. Just needs a few tweaks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboardorblade View Post
    I was in the same situation. Depending on the budget I would second the dropper post, and then a wider bar. The stock one is even xc skinny. A chainguide would also make a big difference. After that a fork. Lyrik or Vengeance.

It is definitely enduro capable. It pedals well and rips on the downhill. Just needs a few tweaks.
    Agreed, dropper post would be my first pick, then bar and stem as required to make the bike fit to your liking (bar width and rise, stem length & rise as well)

I run a Biocon (sp?) C-Guide on my Reign, helps with chain slap and to keep the chain on as well.

After that, depending on terrain and especially if you are a heavier rider I would look to a fork with a little more to it. I have both a Manitou Minute Pro 140 (20mm axle) and a Talas 36 160mm. The Manitou gets used when I want to go as light as I can on the bike and still have a solid fork, the Talas for the extra stiffness and 20mm additional travel.

Past that a better rear shock then perhaps wheels. Have fun with the new bike, they are very capable in a variety of conditions.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for all the great input. From the suggestions from everyone's mom dad sister brother and dog I will be getting a dropper post first. Shorter stem and wide handlebars second.

Another note I'm like 5'6 and the bike is a medium. I would have probably preferred a small but it was such a good deal I couldn't pass it. Any way to make it feel more fitted? It doesn't feel too big and it might just be this is my first higher travel bike.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast