Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Don't put a shorter i2i shock on it... you can get the right-sized Van-R for a song nowadays.

Just found this in my area.

2014 Monarch RT 7.875x2.25 For Sale

How good is this shock. Is it worth the price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksteel7 View Post
    Just found this in my area.

2014 Monarch RT 7.875x2.25 For Sale

How good is this shock. Is it worth the price.
    no piggyback no enduro. gotta go enduro.
    hodor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chyu89 View Post
    no piggyback no enduro. gotta go enduro.
    I would like to go piggyback but there is no room in my frame for one. My bike is a 06 reign. I posted a pic on the previous page.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksteel7 View Post
    I tried putting that shock on and the coil was too wide for the bike to handle. The bike does not have enough room for a coil.

The air shock that is on there was rebuilt the beginning of last season. Do you think that it is worth replacing.

PS. I would love to have a coil on it.
    You can get a coil on it. Unless there is something I'm missing with regards to your particular frame. The fox springs are pretty narrow as far as the outside diameter of the springs goes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    You can get a coil on it. Unless there is something I'm missing with regards to your particular frame. The fox springs are pretty narrow as far as the outside diameter of the springs goes.

I have a vanilla r coil that dose not fit. I cant find any pictures of that era bike with a coil. My frame looks like this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hey Guys , I think i just read through this entire thread and found so much valuable info !
    I'm currently riding a 2013 Giant reign 2 with A Gamut Narrow wide ring and trail guide. Unfortunately it is starting to get a bit small , especially as i would like to run a shorter stem.

Luckily just managed to score a 2012 reign medium frame that has a bent rear triangle. My thought is this : Use the Front triangle off the 2012 reign and the rear triangle of the 2013. As i understand the only difference between the two frames is the 2013 has iscg tabs and a slight cutout in the linkage to accommodate this (Please correct me if i'm wrong!)

Custom paint and some upgrades and i would have a new bike! Can anybody spot any flaw in this ?!?!?!?! Amazing stuff in this thread Especially interested in some of those 650b conversions. !

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    oops double post can i delete this ?
    Last edited by Rosie555; 04-18-2015 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Double Posted accidently

mtbr member
    Anyone run a CC Double Barrel Coil?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Why run a shorter stem if you are on the limit of your frame size?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by antdiam View Post
    Why run a shorter stem if you are on the limit of your frame size?
    Would like to use a shorter stem to match my bmx bike with more aggressive handling. Frame is a bit small even with current stem so going to a medium frame and a short stem should be Ok

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Handling is going to be less playful with a longer frame though. Anyways this frame isn't going to be like a bmx only by changing to a shorter stem on a longer wheelbase...
    If you want it to be more poppy and playful try running less sag. I am 180cm an ride on a medium which i prefer a lot more than a large, although is less comfortble when going uphill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by antdiam View Post
    Handling is going to be less playful with a longer frame though. Anyways this frame isn't going to be like a bmx only by changing to a shorter stem on a longer wheelbase...
    If you want it to be more poppy and playful try running less sag. I am 180cm an ride on a medium which i prefer a lot more than a large, although is less comfortble when going uphill.
    I get what your saying and would love to stay on the smaller side of the scale but unfortunately a growth spurt makes me far too big for a small frame. Always told by Bmxers that you ride best as your just growing out of your frame and found that to be true until a point when everything got too cramped.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hey, does anybody have a rear shock guard for the 06 reign. I cant find one anywhere. It looks like this. Picture001.jpg

Thanks

May contain nuts
    Make one... I made one for my 06 and it worked a treat

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    How did you make it? What did you make it out of?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone install a 1x direct mount chain ring on their 2013 reign? Wolf tooth has options for SRAM GXP long spindle cranks or SRAM BB30 short spindle cranks. My reign has a SRAM S2210 crank with removable spider. I'm not sure which chain ring to with.

2010 Glory custom FR
    I've got AbsoluteBlack spiderless on Truvativ AKA which is very similar to cheapest Sram cranksets. I, also, have got MRP WaveRing on the way, I hope, as an alternative
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    my updated reign 13.

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-s780_img_20150607_202649.jpg
    hodor.

mtbr member
    2012 Reign 1 was going to get replaced by an Enduro 29, but I felt there was more life in my bike, so having scratched there stanchion on their Revelation and never being happy with their Monarch shock I have a 2015 Pike Solo Air 160mm and the 2.25 Monarch Plus Debonair on their way, hopefully you guys are right and this setup will be a sensational upgrade!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nickz5 View Post
    2012 Reign 1 was going to get replaced by an Enduro 29, but I felt there was more life in my bike, so having scratched there stanchion on their Revelation and never being happy with their Monarch shock I have a 2015 Pike Solo Air 160mm and the 2.25 Monarch Plus Debonair on their way, hopefully you guys are right and this setup will be a sensational upgrade!
    Won't go wrong if the price is right. I was in dilemma with 2015 Reign 2 too while I was on a 2013 Reign 2. But the price to change bike is higher than upgrade the suspensions. I move towards the suspensions upgrade. Pretty happy with what I ride now. could last me a few more years until 26 is total dead.
    hodor.

mtbr member
    What tune are you guys running on your Monarch? Looking at a RC3 Medium tune. I'm on a 2011 Reign 0.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    M/M tune. Swap out from a tracer t275.
    hodor.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Just got one coming in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i had a warranty (stanchion/bushing) issue with the Rev 150, and upgraded to a 36 160 and new tires:

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-image1.jpg

Then this happened:

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-image2.jpg

Links have a 1 year warranty according to giant. LBS ordered a new one and I had the stock bearings replaced.

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-image4.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xjrides View Post
    i had a warranty (stanchion/bushing) issue with the Rev 150, and upgraded to a 36 160 and new tires:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	234.0 KB 
ID:	1005800

Then this happened:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	1005801

Links have a 1 year warranty according to giant. LBS ordered a new one and I had the stock bearings replaced.
    Took you quite awhile to break it.
    hodor.

mtbr member
    Just read through all 27 pages of this thread. Has convinced me to look into a 2012 reign 2. Bit of a clyde at 6'7 so the frame is an XL. First upgrades will be brakes and fork, then maybe a new rear shock or wheels. Bike is in good condition, only one major scratch. What would you guys price this at? Right now looking at around $1300, has new stem, bars, and rear hub.

Ive done a little bit of research on the OverDrive technology (2012 has the original overdrive, not the overdrive 2), but still can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Looking for a xfusion slant in 160mm. What mods are necessary for a fork upgrade?

Thanks!
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socalrider77 View Post
    Just read through all 27 pages of this thread. Has convinced me to look into a 2012 reign 2. Bit of a clyde at 6'7 so the frame is an XL. First upgrades will be brakes and fork, then maybe a new rear shock or wheels. Bike is in good condition, only one major scratch. What would you guys price this at? Right now looking at around $1300, has new stem, bars, and rear hub.

Ive done a little bit of research on the OverDrive technology (2012 has the original overdrive, not the overdrive 2), but still can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Looking for a xfusion slant in 160mm. What mods are necessary for a fork upgrade?

Thanks!
    As long as the fork has a tapered steerer you'll be fine . All you'd need to do is take the crown race off the old fork and put it on the new fork, very easy to do. I would recommend a Monarch Plus Debonair as a rear shock, as you can make the shock progressive by installing the bottomless rings, which I think the Reign really needs. I am 102kg and have put 5 rings in the shock, which means the bike rides higher in it's travel, less pedal strikes and the Monarch Plus provides great climbing traction, I might change it to 4 rings soon just to see if 5 is too much ramp up. As for price I have no clue as I am in Australia. 160mm is great for the Reign.

mtbr member
    I'm lost to the purpose of using a Debonair shock with volume spacers. It just makes shock more progressive. In that case just get the shock with regular volume can.

mtbr member
    As long as the fork has a tapered steerer you'll be fine . All you'd need to do is take the crown race off the old fork and put it on the new fork, very easy to do. I would recommend a Monarch Plus Debonair as a rear shock, as you can make the shock progressive by installing the bottomless rings, which I think the Reign really needs. I am 102kg and have put 5 rings in the shock, which means the bike rides higher in it's travel, less pedal strikes and the Monarch Plus provides great climbing traction, I might change it to 4 rings soon just to see if 5 is too much ramp up. As for price I have no clue as I am in Australia. 160mm is great for the Reign.
    Awesome thanks for the reply. Just researched the giant overdrive (1?) tapered steerer today and realized it's the same as most tapered steerer forks at 1.5"-1 1/8" bottom to top. The monarch plus is the rear shock that I was looking at, as well as a cane creek.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    I'm lost to the purpose of using a Debonair shock with volume spacers. It just makes shock more progressive. In that case just get the shock with regular volume can.
    Using the bottomless rings is cheaper than changing cans for me. Its nice to dial in the ramp up to my personal taste, especially as I got the 200x57 shock.

mtbr member
    Using the bottomless rings is cheaper than changing cans for me. Its nice to dial in the ramp up to my personal taste, especially as I got the 200x57 shock.
    Any problems with frame/pivot clearances? Read mixed stuff in this thread on what clears the rear and what doesn't as far as the 2.25" stroke shocks. Would slx brakes be a good upgrade for this bike?
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socalrider77 View Post
    Any problems with frame/pivot clearances? Read mixed stuff in this thread on what clears the rear and what doesn't as far as the 2.25" stroke shocks. Would slx brakes be a good upgrade for this bike?
    I took all of the air out of the shock and cycled it , there were no clearance issues at all. Making the shock ramp up more at the end of the travel with the bottomless rings gives me more peace of micd that there will be no bottom out issue, it also rides higher in the travel which is great as I was having quite a few pedal strikes. Mine is a 2012 Reign 1 .

mtbr member
    I took all of the air out of the shock and cycled it , there were no clearance issues at all. Making the shock ramp up more at the end of the travel with the bottomless rings gives me more peace of micd that there will be no bottom out issue, it also rides higher in the travel which is great as I was having quite a few pedal strikes. Mine is a 2012 Reign 1 .
    Awesome, looks like I'm set for upgrades then. Will do a new fork at 160mm (hopefully an xfusion slant), monarch plus debonair in the rear, new brakes, and a new wheelset. Recommendations on a good set of wheels for all mountain riding? Strong and light-ish
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    I just run the stock front wheel and replaced the rear after two failures of the Shimano free hub. Now have a Hope bolt-up hub and a Mavic EN821 rim on the rear, which is a strong and light combo IMO.

mtbr member
    I just run the stock front wheel and replaced the rear after two failures of the Shimano free hub. Now have a Hope bolt-up hub and a Mavic EN821 rim on the rear, which is a strong and light combo IMO.
    Cool thanks. Rear hub on the bike I'm looking at was recently replaced so if it fails again I'll upgrade it.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Has annoy else had bad Cable rub from their dropper post cable on the top part of the Meastro system?Mine has rubbed a grove into the the top rocker and cant for the life of me figure out a better way to run the cable,was thinking running longer cable and use the cable boss on the back of the seat tube from the front mech cable to keep the dropper post cable away from the suspension,its doing my head in,Plus where can i find the Debonair plus upgrade kit for my Monarch rear shock,cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hain7 View Post
    Has annoy else had bad Cable rub from their dropper post cable on the top part of the Meastro system?Mine has rubbed a grove into the the top rocker and cant for the life of me figure out a better way to run the cable,was thinking running longer cable and use the cable boss on the back of the seat tube from the front mech cable to keep the dropper post cable away from the suspension,its doing my head in,Plus where can i find the Debonair plus upgrade kit for my Monarch rear shock,cheers
    Route your cable on the non-drive side through the linkage straight to BB then joined it with your rear brake cable.

On the linkage, tie up some cable tie knots to prevent it rubbing the metal parts and wrap some rubbers on the middle pole to prevent cable rubbing when it's fully lowered.

here's a pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-s1600_20150411_225200_1.jpg  

hodor.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hey,has anyone any idea if the Fox Float X2 would fit the 2013 reign 2?looking to upgrade the rear shock and was looking at either the Monarch plus or the X2,plus i cant work out what size rear shock i need,i read that i need the 200x50 but can do 200x57 but dont really want to change Geo to much,but when i measured the stantion on the rear it measures 63mm,which doesnt make sense,

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    [QUOTE=hain7;12397256i read that i need the 200x50 but can do 200x57 but dont really want to change Geo to much,but when i measured the stantion on the rear it measures 63mm,which doesnt make sense,[/QUOTE]

if it is the 216x63 it is not compatible.
    the Reign comes from factory with 200x50.
    200x57 is compatible and will give you more travel, imagine increasing from 150mm to 160mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey,has anyone any idea if the Fox Float X2 would fit the 2013 reign 2?looking to upgrade the rear shock and was looking at either the Monarch plus or the X2,plus i cant work out what size rear shock i need,i read that i need the 200x50 but can do 200x57 but dont really want to change Geo to much,but when i measured the stantion on the rear it measures 63mm,which doesnt make sense,
    It doesn't change the geo, it only use up the extra space at the swing arm. But note that the sag must be set based on the original 200x50. Means if on 200x57. You need to set the sag to 20% to get the actual 25% sag.

Quote Originally Posted by DavideYakuza View Post
    if it is the 216x63 it is not compatible.
    the Reign comes from factory with 200x50.
    200x57 is compatible and will give you more travel, imagine increasing from 150mm to 160mm.
    171mm to be exact
    hodor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chyu89 View Post
    It doesn't change the geo, it only use up the extra space at the swing arm. But note that the sag must be set based on the original 200x50. Means if on 200x57. You need to set the sag to 20% to get the actual 25% sag.

171mm to be exact

I did it on my Reign 2011, putting a monarch plus 200x57, a marzocchi 55ti 170mm on the front, and from an entry level trail bike it become a beast

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-img_3356.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Do you get an upgrade kit to take the monarch to +???

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just wanted to see if others experience the same thing in regards to frame flex. On my 2013 reign while sitting on the bike and holding the brakes, the frame can visibly flex towards the non-drive side when applying pressure on the forward positioned pedal. Is this normal? I'm trying to find the source of a creak coming from the bottom bracket area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    These bikes are prone to such problems. I ride a 2016 reign and already replaced bushing and bearings because of flex. Just pick up a bearing kit from your LBS if you diy, otherwise take the bike to your LBS and have them replace the linkage bearings for you. I also have an old Giant AC, and I usually change it's linkage bearings twice a year. IOW, what you're experiencing is quite normal, and the frequency of having to change the bearings depends on how hard you ride the bike. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Helping my bro out to figure out why his bike is creaking when pedaling. Here's what I found:

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

Good thing I figured it out before the bushing wore through (got really thin).

Anyways, I remembered that a 7.875x2.25" coil shock fits this bike. So, I had to extract whatever spacers were on the NOS Vanilla R Shock (with Pro Pedal tech) and get the following RockShox spacer hardware kits:

Top - 1/2 x 1/2", 28.6 x 6mm
    Botttom - 1/2 x 1/2", 40.0 x 8mm

I've seen a Vanilla coil shock mounted in the opposite orientation (spring adjust on the bottom) on another 05 Reign, and it looked very awkward to use. With the spring adjust on the bottom, the frame cage would be in the way during adjustment, so I mounted it as seen in the pictures (with the spring adjust knob on top). That way the rebound knob is fully accessible at the bottom of the bike:

Last edited by tk1971; 04-07-2016 at 12:17 PM. Reason: add a couple of pictures with better lighting

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    That looks good. As long as it clears the frame when going through it's travel it should work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    2011 Reign 1 owner here. Stock RP2 shock is toast so I'm searching for replacements. Anything I should be considering other than a Monarch Plus 200x57?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    2011 Reign 1 owner here. Stock RP2 shock is toast so I'm searching for replacements. Anything I should be considering other than a Monarch Plus 200x57?
    Go coil.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Fox float x2 if money is no problem. Cane creek also if you are on a lower budget. But I have to admit the monarch debonair plus is pretty tits!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Go coil.
    Well yeah, it all depends on what trails he'll be riding. Coil is of little use on normal trails, but it has massive advantages on dh trails and BP. Although some pro DH riders choose air over coil.