Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-marz.jpgMy 09 Reign just got a few upgrades...

New Marzocchi 55CR to replace the crappy 44 TST2.

New (used - craigslist) wheelset - Sun-Ringle Charger Experts

New tires set up tubless (WTB Weirwolf front, Conti Rubber Queen rear)

Really looking forward to the snow melting to try it out.

AM.

mtbr member
    Those who have put on a 7.875x2.25 or 200x57 rear shock what tune did you guys get?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Anyone have asymmetric seatstay on their Reign 2013?

Mine is approximately wider on the driveside. difference around extra 0.125cm on driveside

My rear wheel fitted with HR2 2.4 on Red Metal 3. I can see the non-driveside seatstay has some marking just some lines, no deep scratch, when the wheels is warped.

Haven't test it out since I sent it for a true.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    Those who have put on a 7.875x2.25 or 200x57 rear shock what tune did you guys get?
    I have a mid tune monarch plus and it was pretty good i just put on a x fusion vector coil

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim300wsm View Post
    I have a mid tune monarch plus and it was pretty good i just put on a x fusion vector coil
    Thanks. How are you liking the coil? Most seem to rave about it on here.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I put it on last Saturday morning and Saturday afternoon it dumped a foot of snow so all i know is it looks cool

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chyu89 View Post
    Anyone have asymmetric seatstay on their Reign 2013?

Mine is approximately wider on the driveside. difference around extra 0.125cm on driveside

My rear wheel fitted with HR2 2.4 on Red Metal 3. I can see the non-driveside seatstay has some marking just some lines, no deep scratch, when the wheels is warped.

Haven't test it out since I sent it for a true.
    I have the blue frame 2013 Reign. The seat stays look to be the same size on my bike but I do have rub marks on both seat stays. I have a an Ardent 2.4 on the back on the stock rim. Whats the HR2 like on the back, I thought they were more suited to the front. I'm thinking about tubeless a set up for the rear and I have a near new HR2 2.3 that's tubeless ready. Anyone know if the stock DT Swiss wheels be run tubeless?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    As long as you tape them you will be good to go

mtbr member
    I put it on last Saturday morning and Saturday afternoon it dumped a foot of snow so all i know is it looks cool
    Haha. Well looks is all that matters right? I mean my bike looks better than the actual rider rides it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    its gonna snow again this weekend maybe i will get a chance to check it out next weekend

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hey, sorry, OzMtnMonkey, I haven't been here for a while. Hope you've sorted out the problem by now.

Anyway, I'll second on tim300wsm in that no extra hardware is required to fit the Monarch Plus into the Reign frame. At least as far as the '08 frame is concerned.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-reign_2014_2.jpg

Giant Reign 08

• Hope Integral headset + Hope Hed Doctor
    • RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 HV
    • RockShox Revelation RL 150 mm Maxle Lite 20 mm
    • DT Swiss XM450 rims
    • Hope Pro II Evo 20 mm front hub
    • WTB LaserDisc SuperDuty 135/12 rear hub + SunRingle Conversion Axle 12/10
    • DT Swiss Competition spokes / DT Swiss Brass nipples
    • Continental X-King 2,4 RaceSport front / Continental SpeedKing 2,2 RaceSport rear
    • Shimano XT cranks / Specialties TA Chinook 24-36 rings / RaceFace Light Bash
    • Shimano XT 11-34 cassette
    • Campagnolo Record C9 chain / Sram Powerlink Gold
    • Shimano SLX double derailleur
    • SRAM X9 med cage rear derailleur
    • SRAM X9 trigger shifters
    • Shimano M785 pedals
    • Shimano XT M785 brakes with RT76 180 / 160 mm rotors
    • RaceFace Evolve AM 70 mm stem
    • RaceFace Turbine 680 mm bar
    • RaceFace Strafe Lock On grips
    • RaceFace Evolve XC seatpost
    • Fizik Gobi XM MG saddle

Weight 12,8 kg

Replaced the Schwalbe Ralph/Nic with Continental X-King 2.4/RaceKing 2.2 just recently. Really like the combo - rolls faster with nearly the same amount of grip.
    Last edited by lpdot; 02-06-2015 at 12:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-img_1785.jpg

2010 Reign 1 (lrg)
    RS Reverb 125mm
    WTB pure V saddle
    RS Monarch Plus debonair 7.875 x 2.00
    RS Revelation 150 RLT
    Flow EX, hope pro II Front DT 240 Rear, 10x135 DT RWS
    high roller 2.3 exo TR rear, conti MK II 2.4 protection front
    X0 rear, medium cage 9 spd
    24, 36 tooth front rings, race face atlas guide, MRP roller
    X9 shifters F/R
    2014 XT brakes, 180 mm ice tech F/R
    Giant contact dh 750mm bar, 50 mm Race Face atlas stem
    ODI SDG grip
    XT trail pedal

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xjrides View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1785.jpg 
Views:	584 
Size:	306.1 KB 
ID:	961962

2010 Reign 1 (lrg)
    RS Reverb 125mm
    WTB pure V saddle
    RS Monarch Plus debonair 7.875 x 2.00
    RS Revelation 150 RLT
    Flow EX, hope pro II Front DT 240 Rear, 10x135 DT RWS
    high roller 2.3 exo TR rear, conti MK II 2.4 protection front
    X0 rear, medium cage 9 spd
    24, 36 tooth front rings, race face atlas guide, MRP roller
    X9 shifters F/R
    2014 XT brakes, 180 mm ice tech F/R
    Giant contact dh 750mm bar, 50 mm Race Face atlas stem
    ODI SDG grip
    XT trail pedal

Nicely spec. How does the the Monarch Plus ride compare to your old one?

Wondering what makes you go for Revelation instead of Pike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Nice spec indeed. And I am wondering about the Pike as well.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I test-rode a Monarch on my '10 Reign-1. Light years better than the $hitty DHX 5.0 Air that came stock. Almost as nice as my Fox Van-R coil.

Pike is not an option on the '10 Reign.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The Pike would be ideal. The pike does not come in a straight 1 1/8 steerer tube. there are limited options with a straight headtube, and I didn't want to raise the bb height with a 160 mm lyrik or new 36.

The monarch plus is great, I used to have DHX air. I've rode it on everything, never notice it bottom but uses full travel often. Pedals nice too. Its like a new bike, really.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking to get a used DHX air from a mate. As the new Monarch Plus cost like almost 2-3 times the DHX he selling.

Seems like I better looking forward on a Monarch Plus instead.
    hodor.

May contain nuts

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)

DHX Air tuned by Avalanche would be better than anything off the shelf...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking to get a used DHX air from a mate. As the new Monarch Plus cost like almost 2-3 times the DHX he selling.

Seems like I better looking forward on a Monarch Plus instead.
    If you're looking for good performance and cheap... get an older coil.

If you're concerned about weight, please disregard my advice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Short shocked reign.

Posted this in the all mountain forum, but seems more relevant here.

For all those wondering about fitting a longer shock, well I went the other way. My biggest complaint with the stock reign is that it blows through its travel to easily and feels a bit soft in the back. I swapped the 7.875" spec shock for a 7.25" one with 1.75" stroke. It lowered the bottom bracket (within reasonable
    limits as it's got a 160mm fork) and slacked the head angle out to 64.5º. Totally rails the downhills with no effect on the climbs. If anything, it lowers the overall center of gravity, improves handling, and makes it really easy to jump on and off when things get steep.

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-image.jpgGiant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't understand that. Why not tune the shock properly if it blows through travel rather than limiting the bike? I installed a 200x57 on my Trance SX for roughly 6.3"x6.2" of travel F/R. I like the plushness but I've also experimented by adding "too many" volume reducers and I can get it to feel very similar to my 4" XC bike. It doesn't use up all of it's travel or even close to all of it but it tightens up the ride a bit and can make some trails a little more fun and challenging. Plus, with the 6" travel bike using only 4" of travel I never have to worry about landing wrong or anything else causing a hard bottom. I only left it like that for a couple weeks but at least I know it can be done. I would do something like that any day rather than reducing travel. To each his own, if you like it you like it but I just don't understand the reasoning.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX -

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorne View Post
    Posted this in the all mountain forum, but seems more relevant here.

For all those wondering about fitting a longer shock, well I went the other way. My biggest complaint with the stock reign is that it blows through its travel to easily and feels a bit soft in the back. I swapped the 7.875" spec shock for a 7.25" one with 1.75" stroke. It lowered the bottom bracket (within reasonable
    limits as it's got a 160mm fork) and slacked the head angle out to 64.5º. Totally rails the downhills with no effect on the climbs. If anything, it lowers the overall center of gravity, improves handling, and makes it really easy to jump on and off when things get steep.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	366.9 KB 
ID:	964926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	274.7 KB 
ID:	964928
    Hi. This is a great looking bike. I just wonder how did you manage to drop the head angle from the stock 67.5 to 64.5!

Also I understand the idea of the small rear shock but what about the leverage ratio? The rear link position looks way off!

I suppose that and angleset would have been a safer choice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yeah I was worried about that too. At first, I was never happy with the mushy stock rear suspension. Don't get me wrong the Reign steamrolls through rock gardens like warm butter. I prefer that light 'poppy' feel to the monster truck though, so I wondered... if I put a shorter shock in, run it at a higher pressure, I should be able to achieve this thanks to 2 things: The bottom bracket was relatively high anyways, and I had a taller 160mm fork than standard.

So I did it anyways, and I'm never turning back. It rocks. 64.5º on an all mountain bike sounds crazy but its ridiculous fun going downhill. The lower center of gravity and slack geometry IMO are FAR more influential to performance than an extra inch of travel out back.

So the downside is that the chain stay is permanently in the virtual pivot point's 'extended' position, so the back feels a bit long, but other than that the leverage seems fine. It just works, amazingly enough!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-20150324_024517.jpg
    just got nextie 40mm carbon rims w/ DT Swiss 350 rear and a spank front hub. Raceface sixc 760mm bars and a 1x setup

mtbr member
    Any reviews yet?

2010 Glory custom FR
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorne View Post
    Yeah I was worried about that too. At first, I was never happy with the mushy stock rear suspension. Don't get me wrong the Reign steamrolls through rock gardens like warm butter. I prefer that light 'poppy' feel to the monster truck though, so I wondered... if I put a shorter shock in, run it at a higher pressure, I should be able to achieve this thanks to 2 things: The bottom bracket was relatively high anyways, and I had a taller 160mm fork than standard.

So I did it anyways, and I'm never turning back. It rocks. 64.5º on an all mountain bike sounds crazy but its ridiculous fun going downhill. The lower center of gravity and slack geometry IMO are FAR more influential to performance than an extra inch of travel out back.

So the downside is that the chain stay is permanently in the virtual pivot point's 'extended' position, so the back feels a bit long, but other than that the leverage seems fine. It just works, amazingly enough!
    Do I count properly... you've got 130mm rear wheel travel and 160 front?
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Any reviews yet?
    Not yet we got alot of snow this year and everything is a soupy mess. As soon as it dries out some i will report back

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've tried a couple searches, but not having any luck. This feels like a complete noob question so I'm sure that I'm missing the obvious. I've got a 2011 Reign 2. Picked it up NOS from a guy who rode it twice. Bone stock except for a Specialized Command Post dropper.

What's the spacing for the rear hub? I'm looking at a set of 2012 XTR Trail Wheels with a 135mm rear hub. Will that fit?

Are these a terrible choice for some reason? Feel like the stock wheels and hubs are basically garbage.

***** lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by franticvike View Post
    I've tried a couple searches, but not having any luck. This feels like a complete noob question so I'm sure that I'm missing the obvious. I've got a 2011 Reign 2. Picked it up NOS from a guy who rode it twice. Bone stock except for a Specialized Command Post dropper.

What's the spacing for the rear hub? I'm looking at a set of 2012 XTR Trail Wheels with a 135mm rear hub. Will that fit?

Are these a terrible choice for some reason? Feel like the stock wheels and hubs are basically garbage.
    Yes, the rear spacing should be 135mm.
    As for those specific wheels... Sorry, i dunno anything about 'em.

2017 Specialized Turbo Levo
    2016 Motobecane Lurch
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet

2012 Canfield Jedi
    2011 Giant Reign
    2011 Raleigh Renevio

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cfanto View Post
    Yes, the rear spacing should be 135mm.
    As for those specific wheels... Sorry, i dunno anything about 'em.
    Thanks. Do you know if it's 10 x 135 or 12 x 135? I have to say though when I measured between the rear dropouts it looked to be much closer to 142...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It is a 10 x 135 dropout. If you measured without the wheel on , you will get a false measurment. When you tighten the QR you can see the rear triangle flex a litle an becoming narrower. If you change complete wheels it is a goog oportunity to go from simple QR to through axle

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Agreed, I ran a Hope 10MM thru-axle with a DT Swiss RWS, much more solid as compared to a skinny little qr skewer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Pretty sure it's just a standard qr 10x135.... You'd know if it's a 12x135, it would be a big beefy through axle that would pull all the way out before you could remove the wheel.

***** lurker
    Just as rideitall, I also got rid of the QR and went thru-axle (10x135) when I picked up a set of Hope Hoops. I'm using the same DTSwiss RWS TA as well. If you wanna go the same route, you'll need to make sure the hubs on those XTR Trails have interchangeable adapters as I'm guessing they're probably just QR.

2016 Motobecane Lurch

2012 Canfield Jedi
    2011 Giant Reign
    2011 Raleigh Renevio

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks guys. I ended up going with a set of Hope 2 Pro Evos with Spank Race 28s. Front hub was 20mm, got a conversion kit from LBS for $30, fitted up fine and spins smooth.

I'm having a problem with the rear wheel though. Hub seems great, super smooth action, bolted up fine with 10x135 bolt on, but the chain slope seems to have changed. With the stock wheels I had perfect front derailleur action, but with the new setup (same cassette) I'm getting terrible chain rub against the lower part of the front derailleur cage. I tried removing the cable and lowering the derailleur but that didn't work. I'll do some digging in the mechanics forums, but thought I'd might as well check in here as well.

***** lurker
    I also had chain rub from the front derailleur, but only when off the bike (ie: wrenching on the bike stand). However, while riding, it was no longer an issue due to suspension sag.

Quote Originally Posted by franticvike View Post
    I'm having a problem with the rear wheel though. Hub seems great, super smooth action, bolted up fine with 10x135 bolt on, but the chain slope seems to have changed. With the stock wheels I had perfect front derailleur action, but with the new setup (same cassette) I'm getting terrible chain rub against the lower part of the front derailleur cage. I tried removing the cable and lowering the derailleur but that didn't work. I'll do some digging in the mechanics forums, but thought I'd might as well check in here as well.

2016 Motobecane Lurch

2012 Canfield Jedi
    2011 Giant Reign
    2011 Raleigh Renevio

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Very interesting. Thanks cfanto. A buddy had suggested a hub conversion kit, but I couldn't see how that would matter since the wheel already bolts on.

2010 Glory custom FR
    It's normal that chain rubs lower, flat part of the front mech cage on certain gears when bike is uncompressed.
    You ride your bike standing on pedals or sitting. The problem doesn't exist when your riding.
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just letting you guys know that you can run a 12x135mm if you want to because sunline makes a sweet adapter!

Sun Ringle Rear Conversion Axle 2013 | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Finally, got myself a Monarch Plus RC3 200x57.

Much more plusher and able to use up the travels compare to previous Monarch RL. So far still on tuning, abit too soft at times, setting in between 25-30%

hodor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Have you used full travel with this setup? is this a small sized frame? I have a medium 2013 reign and not sure if a 200x57 shock can be used.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tjteo View Post
    Have you used full travel with this setup? is this a small sized frame? I have a medium 2013 reign and not sure if a 200x57 shock can be used.
    Yes. Managed to use it all. but still not properly tuned yet.

It fits on all Reigns as the eye to eye is still the same, so no worries on swing arm hitting.
    hodor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    This is my my '06 reign 3. Some if the upgrades I have made are.

juicy 5 brakes with 8in rotors
    Marz 55tst
    outlaw rims
    full x9 group set

I want to replace the rear shock. It is a fox float r. Any recommendations.

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-1090552.jpg

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'd go coil, myself. There really isn't enough room in the pierced-downtube for any piggyback, is there? Perhaps an old Van-R. I've got one on my 2010 Reign and really like it... simple.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have a 2007 fox vanilla r. The only issue is it is a 7.5 and this bike takes the 7.875. How would this shorter shock effect the bike.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Don't put a shorter i2i shock on it... you can get the right-sized Van-R for a song nowadays.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I tried putting that shock on and the coil was too wide for the bike to handle. The bike does not have enough room for a coil.

The air shock that is on there was rebuilt the beginning of last season. Do you think that it is worth replacing.

PS. I would love to have a coil on it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Any reviews yet?
    So i finally got to test out the vector coil on my reign. I ran it wide open on compression to see how much bob it had and it was honestly pretty good. I am going to need to fine tune the settings but it seems like this will be the best setup for me

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Don't put a shorter i2i shock on it... you can get the right-sized Van-R for a song nowadays.
    besides the coil is there any other upgrades you would recommend.