Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast
    Quiet Professional

Re: Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)

Some things that would help out is change shocks both front to 160 or 170 or even 180 36 and back to a 2.25 stroke. The angle set would work also, just red an article on the reign and cane creek angle set headset. Shorter stem with wider bars is an other option. Maybe some others can help also.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MendelMu View Post
    1. What press fit bearing would be right for my bottom bracket and what tools do I need?
    That bike uses a PF30 BB, a quick search should answer the rest of your question.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    New member of the Reign Owners' Club here! Just picked up a used '09 frame/fork/wheels for my son after discovering virtually everything from his old Rainier HT would transfer over. Hence, for under $500, he can go from an '02 Rainier HT to an '09 Reign "3ish" (the frame is a Reign 2, but the Rainier components transferred over will be lower spec for now). We'll plan to upgrade things as needed, but this will get him started at a nice, low entry price.

The frame is hanging in the garage and I am waiting until he has more time this weekend to "help" me go through all the bearings, etc. to build the bike in tip-top shape. Great opportunity for father/son time and for him to gain mechanical experience/knowledge.

His old Rainier HT had a misaligned frame (no idea why - bought it used several years ago), resulting in drivetrain alignment problems causing ghost shifting issues. Probably could have tweaked the frame to improve, but the Reign frame package deal made more sense to me to get him onto a more modern, enjoyable bicycle.

Here's what we're swapping from his old HT:

Complete handlebar/stem: Avid brake levers, Deore shifters, 110mm Giant stem, OEM Giant bars, half-worn grips (stem will likely be first upgrade to shorter stem)

Avid BB7 brakes/rotors: not latest/greatest, but they work fine

Deore FD (same style/mount as OEM Reign)

LX RD

Cassette (not sure make/model, but still has life)

Crankset (new RaceFace Ride XC which was what was spec'ed on '09 Reign 2 - it was very recently installed on the Rainier HT)

Seat Tube (same diameter)

Tires/tubes - half worn - don't recall the make/model

Chain - new, longer needed

Cables - new

Things we plan to do while building:

Grease all pivot bearings, headset, wheel bearings.

Air sleeve service on RP2 shock

Shim mod and oil change on Marz 44 TST2 fork

Snug spokes and true wheels

Anything I'm overlooking?

AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    As expected, there were a few surprises along the way requiring purchasing additional parts. The narrow bars and long 110mm stem are pretty goofy, so we have a new Hussefelt 60mm stem and Giant Contact 750mm bar (will cut to desired length) on their way. Also had to order a 185mm front rotor. The older style BB7 caliper seems to barely contact the spokes when mounted with a 165mm rotor. Seemed like the simple fix was to go for the larger rotor which will allow more room due to the spokes angling toward the rim center. Also, one chassis bearing was unsalvageable, so I picked up a new Enduro bearing from the LBS.

Some other little things needed: 20mm carbon headset spacer, new SRAM PG 970 11-34 cassette, Avid adapter for 185mm front rotor, lock-on grips.

All-in-all, I should still come in pretty cheap - about $630 or so with all the new parts/upgrades. Some of this would have been needed for the old bike anyway, so I could arguably claim a lower cost. The drivetrain will be all new, the chassis freshly greased, and the shock/forks appear to be in good shape for now. I'll let him ride it for a little while before we tear into the shock/forks for service.

I'll follow up with before/after pictures once we're done.

AM.

May contain nuts
    Good work, he'll love it. Keep an eye on the seat-stay bearings for any play (notchiness is perfectly normal, as the bearing is press-fit). If the bearings collapse without rider noticing the housing can ovalise...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Interesting you say that. We went through and thoroughly cleaned all the frame/suspension bearings, and the seat-stay bearings looked great. After packing with grease and reassembling, the pivot arm (not sure the term, but the little triangle that pivots to depress the shock) felt notchy as you describe. I passed it off as bearings that would need replacing in the near future, but it sounds like that's typical?

AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    What are your thoughts on a Clydesdale riding a Reign 1 L/XL? By Clydesdale I mean BMF Clydesdale (6'5" 350 lbs). Thanks in advance for the feedback Reign owners. I'm thinking it's either this or a Trek Remedy.

Quiet Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinBroccoli View Post
    What are your thoughts on a Clydesdale riding a Reign 1 L/XL? By Clydesdale I mean BMF Clydesdale (6'5" 350 lbs). Thanks in advance for the feedback Reign owners. I'm thinking it's either this or a Trek Remedy.
    Issue being the rear shock. Being a 3.0 ratio you might find it hard to find a shock that works with your weight. You could use a custom spring on a coil shock and be fine, but most air shocks would max out at 300psi.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    Issue being the rear shock. Being a 3.0 ratio you might find it hard to find a shock that works with your weight. You could use a custom spring on a coil shock and be fine, but most air shocks would max out at 300psi.
    Damn. I mean my main goal is to get under 315 lbs ASAP. So I'm not quite sure how long I'd even stay at this current weight. I mean the only other bike I can think of myself would be this one...

Specialized Bicycle Components

Quiet Professional
    With most full suspension bikes you will run into the same issue of the leverage ratio being to large. As a big rider we need to find lower leverage bikes. I max out my shock air and I weigh under 300lbs. With the reign you would need around a 1250lb shock. You need to stay away from the big name bikes and look for smaller leverage ratio.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    With most full suspension bikes you will run into the same issue of the leverage ratio being to large. As a big rider we need to find lower leverage bikes. I max out my shock air and I weigh under 300lbs. With the reign you would need around a 1250lb shock. You need to stay away from the big name bikes and look for smaller leverage ratio.
    Damn, I really don't wanna have to get a HT again and really love the Reign and the Trek Remedy. But I guess I'll have to take a look at some of these other brands and see what I can dig up. Thanks for the info, any idea what a good lower leverage ratio brand would be?

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinBroccoli View Post
    Damn, I really don't wanna have to get a HT again and really love the Reign and the Trek Remedy. But I guess I'll have to take a look at some of these other brands and see what I can dig up. Thanks for the info, any idea what a good lower leverage ratio brand would be?
    I think for your weight your looking at the wrong kind of bike. (or would have to upgrade parts which is what this thread is about! ) "If" you can hit proper sag on a 3 to 1 ratio reign with your weight and it's 300 psi shock limit you'd still kill the wheels and flex the fork. Instead of a Remedy look at the Scratch, etc. (I'd say ReignX but they had that broken link thing and with your weight I'd be concerned) I think a freeride bike for average weight riders makes a trail bike for your weight. And there are smaller air sleeves or plastic spacers you can buy, (or make), that lowers the volume of air shocks which lets the stock air pressure limits better serve heavier riders. (many air forks can have oil added to the air chamber to do the same thing) The Enduro Evo you posted a link to should be OK, but you'd need to make sure you can get heavy enough springs for the shock size/fork. Coil would be preferred for your weight, but getting the right springs can be an issue. (I've struggled finding the right springs sometimes over the years at my 235-250lbs, at least with air you can just add more/limit size of air chamber)

The leverage ratio stuff is good info to consider when looking at bikes. But almost all full suspension bikes are between 2.4-3 ratios. Foes racing makes some 2 to 1's but they are comparatively expensive. (if your big AND tall you might look at Lenz sports 29er's as they have low ratio's too.) But IMO, if low ratios were that much better then other bike makers would have jumped on that band wagon a long time ago and marketed the crap out of it instead of it just being a few small builders...?

Another thing to look into is getting your suspension custom tuned by Push, etc. You can get heavier springs or use more air, but in the end the dampening was designed for average rider weight and will struggle to some extent. (at least your likely to be at the limits of adjustments)

I found this thread and it had a lot of good info.. hope your out riding soon!

What Are Your Suspension Setups for Clydes over 300lbs with full suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

2010 Giant Reign 0 w Fox 36 Talas 160

Replacing the original Fox 32 Talas 150 with the Fox 36 Talas 160 changed the geometry quite a bit, and I think it helped me become more confident and aggressive. I had to modify the compression settings on the rear Fox DHX Air 4.0 because not long after I installed the new fork I started to get pinch flats from hitting obstacles which were acting like square-edge hits. It was actually driving me nuts for a while trying to figure out what was going on, but once I modifed the compression settings, it all got nice and buttery. The Crank Bros Kronolog seat post has failed since this picture so I wouldn't recommend that item. Next mod will be to add Hayes Stroker Trails in place of the Avid Elixers. With the adapter for the 8" rotor, the Avids are so hard to get aligned with the cup washer assembly that the Avids have. The Trails should be easier to bleed as well.
    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-2010giantreign0wfox36talas160.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi everyone, first post. After years of motocross and injurys ive just taken up mountain biking and love it. I have just got myself a almost new 2012 Giant Reign 2. Only upgrade so far is XT brakes front and rear.
    I have found an unused set of forks of a 2013 Reign 1 and was wondering if anyone thinks it would be worth the upgrade? Current forks are Fox Float 32 150mm RL and the set im looking at is Fox 32 Talas CTD 120-150mm. Do you guys think its worth upgrading or just live with what I have?

24v
    Scratch That Itch
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rotaholic View Post
    Hi everyone, first post. After years of motocross and injurys ive just taken up mountain biking and love it. I have just got myself a almost new 2012 Giant Reign 2. Only upgrade so far is XT brakes front and rear.
    I have found an unused set of forks of a 2013 Reign 1 and was wondering if anyone thinks it would be worth the upgrade? Current forks are Fox Float 32 150mm RL and the set im looking at is Fox 32 Talas CTD 120-150mm. Do you guys think its worth upgrading or just live with what I have?
    Keep what ya got. Float is a great fork. You don't need travel adjust on a Reign, they climb remarkably well at full height.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Yup - keep the Float until it craps out. Then get yourself a Revelation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    +1, keep it
    when you feel it'$ time get a 160mm, 34 or 36.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Awesome thanks guys, love not having to spend money :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Actually I never felt happy with the stock 32s. Maybe its a placebo effect, but since I upgraded to a Fox 34 Kashima I've felt much more confident and the fork is buttery smooth. In fact I attribute a few close calls to the fork saving my butt... think of more travel/stiffness as a safety measure. Not to mention my Reign now looks 1000x better!

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by MendelMu View Post
    @kneecap & chef. I've got the same bars, felt awesome the first weeks, now I want something just a little bit wider but it's at the bottom of "got to have" - list.

But they look great!

What are length of your stems, size of your bikes and your length? Still running the original giant connect, medium size bike and 182 cm long..already feel a little bit cramped in the cock pit but I want to change to a 50 mm stem.
    Mate, ive got a 2012 medium reign, the original connect stem felt clumbsy and way to long, i went to a 50mm stem with a 760mm bar and it feels sweet as, infact anything shorter than the 760 feels way to small for me and om only 5/8 tall, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorne View Post
    Actually I never felt happy with the stock 32s. Maybe its a placebo effect, but since I upgraded to a Fox 34 Kashima I've felt much more confident and the fork is buttery smooth. In fact I attribute a few close calls to the fork saving my butt... think of more travel/stiffness as a safety measure. Not to mention my Reign now looks 1000x better!
    Mate is there a 34 kashima tapered ready to fit straight onto the reign, an if so whats the model ? cheers

Double post.

Guys is there a 36 or a 34 tapered 160mm fox ready to fit straight onto the 2012 reign with no modifications, if so what models? cheers

Quiet Professional

Re: Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)

Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Guys is there a 36 or a 34 tapered 160mm fox ready to fit straight onto the 2012 reign with no modifications, if so what models? cheers
    Any tapered fork would work like the fox 34 if you are keeping the 15mm qr.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Reign with 34

Yes the 34 slipped in easily since the Reigns have had tapered head tubes since 2011. I didn't even need to change the wheels since the 34s also come with 15qr axles.

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-my-reign-2011.jpg

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast