Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ok considering that A2C of the Fox talas 150 is 521mm, going with a Pike 160 with A2C of 542 would be too much? For a 2013 Reign

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hey Drewbis1 how well did you find the recommended air pressures on the fork leg for setting sag. I set mine by them but it feels to firm. I tried to get a ride in last weekend but suffered multiple punctures so I couldn't set the way I normally would. I like to ride my regular trials, hit some jumps then adjust and repeat until it's right. To achieve 30% sag I would need to be way below the recommended pressure, I think I have one bottomless token in them so maybe that makes a difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tjteo View Post
    Ok considering that A2C of the Fox talas 150 is 521mm, going with a Pike 160 with A2C of 542 would be too much? For a 2013 Reign
    A difference of 20mm A-C will slack the head angle about 1 degree from stock putting you at 66.5

I wouldn't say that's too much, and there is a mod you can do to lower the 160 Pike to 150. Not sure about the details of that, but I've read about it somewhere. Head angle is mostly preference. Do you ride up and down, or mostly down? It may slow you down on the climbs a bit, but will make up for it going downhill. If something happens to your frame, and you're going to deal with Giant for a warranty issue, definitely get that 160mm fork off before you make a claim.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by clone185 View Post
    Hey Drewbis1 how well did you find the recommended air pressures on the fork leg for setting sag. I set mine by them but it feels to firm. I tried to get a ride in last weekend but suffered multiple punctures so I couldn't set the way I normally would. I like to ride my regular trials, hit some jumps then adjust and repeat until it's right. To achieve 30% sag I would need to be way below the recommended pressure, I think I have one bottomless token in them so maybe that makes a difference.
    The recommended air pressures put me at 20% sag which is usually where I keep my fork. I like my rear around 25-30%. But to answer your question, yes, they are a bit stiff, just let out some pressure. If you got the RCT3 version there is also a low speed compression adjuster with 8 or 10 clicks of adjust ability when it's in full open position for fine tuning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    this year I've put the following on my 2010 reign:

Monarch plus debonair RC3
    Flow Ex wheelset with DT240 (r) and Hope Evo (f) hubs
    XT brakes (f/r, 180mm rotors)
    new Reverb (warranty claim)
    new 9 spd Sram XO drivetrain parts

The 135x10 mm rear end and shock have dramatically improved this bike.
    Last edited by xjrides; 10-04-2014 at 12:53 PM.

Giant Reign SX 2013

New question here.

Could smbd please help me find saddle Giant Performance Trail from Giant Reign SX 2013 on ebay or aliexpress ??

Reign SX (2013) | Giant Bicycles | International

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-reign_sx.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Anyone finds the 2015 Reign pricing is ridiculous? especially in my country,Malaysia.

After months of considering, I wouldn't consider to sell my 2013 reign 2 for a 2015 reign 2.

Hence time for some tech refresh on current reign. Anyone had experience using PIKE 650b 160mm up front or a DHX Air 5.0 200x57(7.875x2.25) shock?

Based on A2C, current revelation and pike will have 20mm+ difference. But unsure with the riding experience.

Giant Reign SX 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ka81ua View Post
    Could smbd please tell me - how many links have to be in stock chain, placed on that bike on factory (KMC X-9) ?
    OK

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbis1 View Post
    Is this how the Reign is supposed to be? With a Pike and DBinline?
    Attachment 924295Attachment 924296
    Nice! Is that a 200mmx50 or 57mm Inline?
    Last edited by NFD538; 11-08-2014 at 09:09 PM.
    2013 Reign 1
    2007 Kikapu

2010 Glory custom FR
    So, I m going to mod my wife's 2015 Reing 2.
    Just go tGiant TRX-1 Composite wheelset. May put Ardent's EXO tubeless.
    Got a good deal on Truvativ AKA crankset. Since it has a removable spider, I will put MRP Wave ring 28t (hopefully) or AbsoluteBlack N-W.
    I will remove front mech, shifter and chainguide.
    I may also modify original HG50 cassette with a2z 42+16t set in order to keep 1,5 ratio for steeper climbs.
    The bike is 14,47kg w/pedals, at the moment. Sam as my Glory! :O
    I hope weight will drop to ca. 13kg
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Some changes on my Reign 2.

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-s780_20141118_165121.jpg
    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-s1600_20141118_165111.jpg

Pike 160 650b slacken the HA to 66' and raise the BB height to 14.1"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I posted almost last year the customizations of my 2011 Giant Reign 1
    I did few more changes, includin shorter stem 40mm
    Wider bars 760mm with 15mm raise
    and most important Rockshox Monarch plus
    I'm totally in love with new susps combo 55ts/Monarch+

I did a recent trip to peru and bike held perfectly

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-img_3356.jpgGiant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-img_3349.jpgGiant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-img_3352.jpgGiant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-img_3354.jpgGiant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-img_3357.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    another clip from peru

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    We have the same stem but i cracked my top cap.

I interested to get a monarch plus too. was thinking to get a 200x57 dhx air see how it works. Current monarch rl seems to have custom shim inside, I hardly bottom up even at 30+% sag. I weighted around 73kg.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chyu89 View Post
    We have the same stem but i cracked my top cap.

I interested to get a monarch plus too. was thinking to get a 200x57 dhx air see how it works. Current monarch rl seems to have custom shim inside, I hardly bottom up even at 30+% sag. I weighted around 73kg.
    My riding weight is around 77 and with 160psi and 30%sag I tend to bottom out on drops from about 1mt of weight, planning of increasing the pressure and see what happens
    problably is a lack of landing skills

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    If you're completely happy with the damping and sag settings but are bottoming the best thing is to reduce the volume of the air can. It will make the air spring ramp up in stiffness near the end of stroke

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Cliff's Notes are still valid.

Cliff's Notes:

Get a 2.25" coil for the rear shock
    Get a 160mm Lyrik (for Reigns prior to the tapered headtubes)
    Get a 160mm Pike (for all tapered)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    hey guys, just checking the 2013 Reign 2 BB is threaded and not pressfit right? coz I checked the product sheet written MY11-13: Pressfit/BB92 but in website written SRAM,threaded. Anyone can further clarify?

mtbr member
    It is press fit, NOT threaded.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboardorblade View Post
    It is press fit, NOT threaded.
    2013 Reign has threaded BB

mtbr member
    My mistake couldn't remember what year they switched. Confirmed it is threaded.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeah. Coz the datasheet is written pressfit bb92, but website stated threaded. I yet to dismantle my bb though it has a little play in it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    do you guys know if I can put a chain guide in the 2011 Reign, running single chairing?

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-img_3349.jpg

2010 Glory custom FR
    If you need a device which will protect front chain ring, than you need a chainguide with taco, unless, you've got press fit BB.
    If you do, you need bash + bionicon c-guide.
    If you don't need bash, than just get a c-guide.
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

fitting a 2014 Rock Shox Monarch Plus on to 2008 Giant Reign 1

Hi there,

I have just bought myself a Rock Shox Monarch Plus RC3 to fit on to my Reign. I'm having *mahooosive* trouble finding a shock mounting kit to mount the Monarch on to my bike. Has anyone out there done the same upgrade and if they have, where on Earth do I find the mounting kit for it?? Alternatively, what I do I have to do to get the darned thing to fit??

In addition, I bought a tapered steerer Rock Shox Pike RCT3. I would very much love to fit that on to my bike too, but would like to check that I can do so using a 44mm EC bottom cup and a ZS upper (basically, is the Reign HT diameter 44mm..)

BTW. I'm still reading all the posts in this thread, I thought I'd ask anyway, just in case I can get a quick answer this way.

Thanks for reading this, and for your help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    lpdot, how did you get that Monarch Plus on the back there? What mounting kit did you use?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OzMtnMonkey View Post
    Hi there,

I have just bought myself a Rock Shox Monarch Plus RC3 to fit on to my Reign. I'm having *mahooosive* trouble finding a shock mounting kit to mount the Monarch on to my bike. Has anyone out there done the same upgrade and if they have, where on Earth do I find the mounting kit for it?? Alternatively, what I do I have to do to get the darned thing to fit??

In addition, I bought a tapered steerer Rock Shox Pike RCT3. I would very much love to fit that on to my bike too, but would like to check that I can do so using a 44mm EC bottom cup and a ZS upper (basically, is the Reign HT diameter 44mm..)

BTW. I'm still reading all the posts in this thread, I thought I'd ask anyway, just in case I can get a quick answer this way.

Thanks for reading this, and for your help.
    i fitted the 2014 monarch plus on my 2010 reign (same frame as you) with the rockshox 22.2X6MM 3pc 1set. from rockshox it said part 11.4115.012.340 on the packet. there is slight play in the reducers. this is normal, this is their new design. the shaft that runs through the eyelet does not allow side to side play in the shock. fwiw, the stock fox hardware worked just fine.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I mounted a 7.875x2.25 monarch plus in my 2010 reign with the stock hardware. Much better shock performance

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by tim300wsm View Post
    I mounted a 7.875x2.25 monarch plus in my 2010 reign with the stock hardware. Much better shock performance
    You replaced the Fox DHX Air? Those things really sucked...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hey all,
    After reading through literally ALL the posts on this thread I thought I'd toss a picture of my 2012 Reign 2. Not a whole lot done so far, just Nukeproof wheels, stem, bar, grips and seat post. Just ordered myself the shimano zee drivetrain as well as a set of zee brakes and hope to get them all mounted up soon!

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-img_0017.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    You replaced the Fox DHX Air? Those things really sucked...
    Yup the dhx was total crap. Still not entirely happy with it. I might buy the debonair upgrade. I just got all the parts for a 1x10 upgrade and new hubs i will be ordering some 40mm carbon rims after Christmas. I should be good for a while after that

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Yup the dhx was total crap. Still not entirely happy with it. I might buy the debonair upgrade. I just got all the parts for a 1x10 upgrade and new hubs i will be ordering some 40mm carbon rims after Christmas. I should be good for a while after that
    You really should consider a coil...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You really should consider a coil...

what fork are you running?

with the debonair can on the 2014 monarch plus, i'm pretty stoked on the reign still. never a harsh bottom. tested it out everywhere. stoked on that shock for sure.

just ordered a 2014 rockshox rev 150 to replace the stock float.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by xjrides View Post
    what fork are you running?

with the debonair can on the 2014 monarch plus, i'm pretty stoked on the reign still. never a harsh bottom. tested it out everywhere. stoked on that shock for sure.

just ordered a 2014 rockshox rev 150 to replace the stock float.
    That's a Rev 150. I hated the Fox 32 a *little* bit less than the DHX-Air rear shock. The Rev is soooo much stiffer, though. Glad I went with it. Wish I could put a Pike on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That's a Rev 150. I hated the Fox 32 a *little* bit less than the DHX-Air rear shock. The Rev is soooo much stiffer, though. Glad I went with it. Wish I could put a Pike on it.
    good to hear the rev is more stout. stiffer chassis, maxle probably helps?
    I almost got the new float 36 as it comes in 1 1/8, but there weren't many other options. the rev was much less money.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by xjrides View Post
    good to hear the rev is more stout. stiffer chassis, maxle probably helps?
    I almost got the new float 36 as it comes in 1 1/8, but there weren't many other options. the rev was much less money.
    I've considered a RS Lyrik... but that presents some additional "issues" - and the Rev is good enough for now. I figure it lasts another 4-5 years and then I'll be in the market for a whole new bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just got my new hubs in a dt350 rear and a spank 20mm front. I will be ordering a set of nextie 40mm carbon rims after Christmas. I will be installing a new 1x10 drive train, a pair of race face carbon bars and possibly a coil next month as well. It should feel like a whole new bike next month.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

CCDB inline

Does anyone fit CCDB inline size 200x57mm (7.875x2.25) to Giant Reign? My bike is Reign 2013 and I can only find 200x57mm DB inline in my area. I am not sure whether the rear triangle will hit the seat tube frame or not during bottom out if I use 200x57mm size schock. Any help would be appreciate. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Mine is a 2010 but i have a 200◊57 and it just clears

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bimsoej View Post
    Does anyone fit CCDB inline size 200x57mm (7.875x2.25) to Giant Reign? My bike is Reign 2013 and I can only find 200x57mm DB inline in my area. I am not sure whether the rear triangle will hit the seat tube frame or not during bottom out if I use 200x57mm size schock. Any help would be appreciate. Thanks.
    Haven't had a CCDB on a Reign, but had a x fusion vector air HLR On my medium 2010 reign. The HLR has a large piggyback and it fit just fine. Got to have been tried before. Have you checked out the Cane Creek fitment page?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Any idea if S size frame can fit a 200x57 just like the M size. I'm on a Reign 2013.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you know the lbs guys maybe they will let you test fit

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by chyu89 View Post
    Any idea if S size frame can fit a 200x57 just like the M size. I'm on a Reign 2013.
    If you find the answer, would you please share it here? I am on M size 2013. LBS here do not stock CCDB. i have to order it online. Thanks guys...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hi guys,

Any thought for 2014 Fox Float CTD Boost Valve Factory Series on a Reign?

Was looking around saw someone letting go a 200x57. So maybe I can get some input from you guys.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Giant Reign Shox Lenght HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by kneecap View Post
    I just installed a RP23 7/785X2.25 on my older 05 frameset. It works so well, that I'm going to swap out the DHX4 on my 08 frame & give it a try.

The seatstay bridge comes very close to the seatube under full compression with no air in the shock, so I installed a hard rubber bumper on the seatube, but I think the ramp up in the shock won't allow contact anyhow, & after a handful of rides, no problems.
    The RP doesn't seem to blow through midstroke like my DXH, & I'm getting 6" +, feels great.
    I can 35 lbs less air in the RP compared to the DHX, & get a much better feel overall.

Hey guys, I have a 2012 Reign 1 (Reign 1 (2012) | Giant Bicycles | United States) but I cannot find the Shox length on Giants Reign official page. I want to change my original RockShox monarch shox to a Monarch Plus but realized there are different lengths on the market (7.875 x 2.25, 200x57 etc).

At this point I want to switch to a length that is the same as my original shox since I am comfortable with my setup but since I cannot find / figure out what is my original shox length I cannot purchase a new shox (I dont wanna but a shox that will not fit into my bike)

Can anyone tell me what is the shox length of 2012 Reign 1 length? will 7.875 x 2.25 fit onto my giant Reign? Any information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Its a 7.875x2 but a 2.25 will fit i have a 2.25 monarch plus on mine but I am switching to a coil

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Its a 7.875x2 but a 2.25 will fit i have a 2.25 monarch plus on mine but I am switching to a coil
    Does the feel of your bike changed a lot when you switched from 7.875x2 to 2.25? I mean the change is very small but I really got used to my setup and I dont wanna mess it up, My fork and shock is all factory ones and I dont understand much from the fork/shox setup so I dont want to mess the geometry or something.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It will have the same geo just a little more travel. The biggest change i noticed wasn't the extra travel it was the new shock. It still wasn't what i was looking for though. I put an x fusion vector coil on my bike this weekend and I will be selling the monarch plus.

mtbr member
    My 06 Reign 2 has been sitting around because I've been obsessing over lower weight bikes. Then I started to miss my reliable Reign and decided to give it a light-weight makeover.

Let's start with the original 15" 06 Reign 2 frame I bought during the famous Wheelworld Reign frame sale.

Here's the build:

- XT crankset (leftover from original build)
    - Raceface Narrow-Wide 30t chainring
    - XT SPD pedals (leftover)
    - XT 11-36 Cassette (minus the 15t and 17t)
    - One Up 42t with 16t (the 16 replaces the 15/17)
    - SLX Shadow + M765 rear derailleur
    - One Up RADR derailleur cage
    - RS Revelation RCT3 Dual Air 150mm / 20mm TA, taper steerer
    - Cane Creek EC44/40, 1.5" bottom headset cup & bearing
    - Sun Black Flag Pro wheelset
    - Kenda Nevegal 2.35 front and 2.10 back running Stan's NoTubes Kit
    - Titec Titanium bar (leftover)
    - 60mm Titec Big Al stem (leftover)
    - Deore M525 hydraulic disc brakes (leftover, but still works great)
    - Pricepoint rotors
    - KS E-ten 100mm lever actuated dropper seatpost (leftover)
    - ODI Ruffian grips
    - WTB ti railed gel saddle (long ago discontinued, leftover)

It's set up as a 1x10 and with the 42t out back, I should be able to climb anything. Full cable housing to the back derailleur. Measured the head angle to be around 68.

Waiting to ride it this coming weekend.

Oh, and the weight... 28.13 lbs.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Not bad at all, surprisingly light, especially with that seatpost. I should revive my 08 with a weight loss, but I'd hafta give up that great zoke all mountain RC2.