Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samos View Post
    Not sure if it's due to the fact that I never serviced my shock or what, but without the Pro Pedal it's really blowing thru the travel on everything.
    Nope - that's just how the DHX Air rolls.

Do you ride longer descent like we have in the Alps with your Monarch RT Robin ?
    Man... I've been telling you for awhile... get yourself a coil.

mtbr member
    About the longest decent we ride here is about 45min to an hour long, gets pretty rough on some trails then smooths out before getting rough again. But i doubt its anything like the Alps, but im going to take this bike to whistler in the summer i will let you know what i think of the monarch after.

I think though if you have long steep fast descents that are rough a coil would be a better option then air, or a glory.. lol
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well, thanks for your answer Robin. I don't want a coil, I want to drop the overall weight of my bike down. So it will maybe be a Monarch Plus, but certainly not a coil.

My next mods will be :
    - new Wheelset, something like Hope Pro 2 EVO - DT Supercomp - ZTR Arch EX. Should be at less than 1'600g; Will try to mount light tires... light means at about 700-800g, not less.
    - new brakes, Shimano XT or SLX. What are exactly the differences ?
    - and for sure a new schock, RS Monarch RT3 or Monarch Plus RC3.
    - need also to change my saddle, but the comfort is first priority...

Totally I should drop the weight by something like 1kg.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quit obsessing about the weight of your bike.

mtbr member
    Well, thanks for your answer Robin. I don't want a coil, I want to drop the overall weight of my bike down. So it will maybe be a Monarch Plus, but certainly not a coil.

My next mods will be :
    - new Wheelset, something like Hope Pro 2 EVO - DT Supercomp - ZTR Arch EX. Should be at less than 1'600g; Will try to mount light tires... light means at about 700-800g, not less.
    - new brakes, Shimano XT or SLX. What are exactly the differences ?
    - and for sure a new schock, RS Monarch RT3 or Monarch Plus RC3.
    - need also to change my saddle, but the comfort is first priority...

Totally I should drop the weight by something like 1kg.
    Lighter tires are usually lower volume, can lead to more pinch flats. so i would be careful with that one, but usually rims and cassettes are a good way to drop some weight. You may also lose more weight from a fork upgrade, over a shock upgrade. Bars can drop a fiar bit of weight and seat post aswell.

myself i shaved 30lbs of my bike this year , lol was cheap too.. just took some time.

but seriously wouldnt worry about weight but they few times it comes up (usually when i crashed and broke something) i use the following.

for all weights i use grams

WoOI (weight of old item) - WoNI (wieght of new item) = TWL(total weight lost) divided by CoNI (cost of new item) = AWLtDV (affective weight loss to dollar value)

If the Dollar to grams value is more then a gym membership, i put my fat ass back on a treadmill.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Not obsessed, but care about it. When you ride it 8 hours a day in the Alps, and have to push or have it on the back for 1 hour, it counts.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Not obsessed, but care about it. When you ride it 8 hours a day in the Alps, and have to push or have it on the back for 1 hour, it counts.
    You're preachin' to the choir.

Still won't give up my dropper post and coil.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Awesome Panorama view !

Need to make some pictures in the Alps next summer...

mtbr member
    Hello, I bought a giant reign 2012 and it only changed the brakes and transmission, but I have come to see that the bike is very fun.
    Thanks from portugal...

mtbr member
    Really like that color.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Modifications not complete now, but have a look :

New Fork (RS Sektor) and Shock (RS Monarch Plus), new brakes (Shimano Zee)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ready to ride....

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Nice geometry.

sweet. I set mine up almost the same way. I put a command post on mine and a 9x1 drive. these frames rip!!! The 0degree rise stem is key to getting a manageable geometry with the 08-09frames. The headtube was designed 3/4"too long. I have a x fusion vengeance which makes it even more difficult. (has a long axle/crown height). Had to lower my fork travel to 5 3/4. Nice build!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks ;-)

The command post, a Reverb, is on guarantee check... It's a V1, has the common problem.

The head tube of the 08-09 frames is too long, I agree. But with a 60mm stem it's OK for me. Before the Sektor, I had a 36. I also lowered it, was not convinced and put it back to 160mm. But I think the probleme was the Float spring, never used the complete travel of the fork...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Next change to my Reign should be on in week. Picked up a X-Fusion Vector Air HLR in a 7.875 x 2.25 size. Will have to cycle it through to make sure there is clearance on the front derailleur and the rear tire to the frame.

Brakes swapped from XT to Formula T1s. Pretty much everything else still as it was. Will get some updated pictures up when I can.

Quiet Professional
    So far not much changed on my 2011 giant reign I just got. Changed the bars to Answer 720 carbon and rove am stem. Spacer changed to carbon fiber and grips to red odi clamps and rouge grips. Will change out the saddle when the wtb pure v arrives. I want to change the rotors to 203mm or 200mm and maybe change the brakes to avid code r or something as strong or stronger. Eventually I want to change the front fork to a 160 and rear shock to a 2.25 stroke. Tires might go with Hans Dampf or something else. Want to change seatpost clamp to a red clamp. Not sure about the hubs. Probably go with a red Hope or chris king hub later when upgrade the fork. The pricey upgrades will happen after I purchase a bike for the wife.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Has anyone broken their frame....I have an 08 x1 and broke the frame and my dealer sent it back however I'm freaking out because they said I won't get the same style back ....anyone experience this...chef sweet bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Just made a new thread, but I'm posting it here too since it seems like all the right people are in this thread

Hi, I got a couple of questions regarding my Giant Reign 2 - 2011 and I would be a very happy if someone could answer them. I've tried other forums and my LBS(thinking i might need to switch from that one).

1. What press fit bearing would be right for my bottom bracket and what tools do I need?

2. I want to make the HA a bit slacker, which angle set from [www.workscomponents.co.uk] would fit? Is there anything else I need to get?

I've got a dropper post, wider bars, more suggestions how to make more AM / ENDURO?

Thanks

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by MendelMu View Post

I've got a dropper post, wider bars, more suggestions how to make more AM / ENDURO?

Thanks
    AM suggestion: get yourself a 7.875x2.25 *coil* shock. Increases rear travel to 6.75" and coil >> air.

YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Re: Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Ride 934 View Post
    Has anyone broken their frame....I have an 08 x1 and broke the frame and my dealer sent it back however I'm freaking out because they said I won't get the same style back ....anyone experience this...chef sweet bike
    I assume it simply means you'll get a 2013 frame, not a 2008.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Re: Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)

Quote Originally Posted by MendelMu View Post
    Just made a new thread, but I'm posting it here too since it seems like all the right people are in this thread

Hi, I got a couple of questions regarding my Giant Reign 2 - 2011 and I would be a very happy if someone could answer them. I've tried other forums and my LBS(thinking i might need to switch from that one).

1. What press fit bearing would be right for my bottom bracket and what tools do I need?

2. I want to make the HA a bit slacker, which angle set from [www.workscomponents.co.uk] would fit? Is there anything else I need to get?

Thanks
    If your bike shop can't tell you what BB you need, its time to find a different shop...

To your last question - more AM /Enduro... Sorry, but that's a ridiculously vague question. If you want your bike to *look* like some hardcore Enduro bike, then sure... put a coil in the rear, a fox 36 or lyrik up front, 1x 10 drivetrain, chain guide, blah blah blah... It'll be a sick bike to hang on the wall next to your full face. But hopefully you don't do much trail riding...

What doesn't your bike do well today?
    - Want to get down the hill quicker?
    - Want to get up the hill quicker while retaining downhill ability?
    - Dropping your chain?
    - Do you mostly shuttle with only minor pedalling or don't care how long it takes to pedal to the top?

Get specific with your question and you'll get some good feedback. Otherwise you'll be told to put a coil on your bike regardless of whether or not it makes sense for YOU... And just because someone on the internet tells you a coil is better than air, it doesn't make it true for all people who ride a 6" AM bike.

-jm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    chef, I recently installed those answer bars on my reign, really like the width& bend.
    However they might be a lot stiffer than the monkey light bars I had before, maybe a little too stiff, what's your initial impression?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    @kneecap & chef. I've got the same bars, felt awesome the first weeks, now I want something just a little bit wider but it's at the bottom of "got to have" - list.

But they look great!

What are length of your stems, size of your bikes and your length? Still running the original giant connect, medium size bike and 182 cm long..already feel a little bit cramped in the cock pit but I want to change to a 50 mm stem.
    Last edited by MendelMu; 02-02-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Quiet Professional
    I am using an 80mm stem with a medium bike and bars are still at 720. Love the stem and bar combo. I am 5'10 with a 32.5" inseam. Due to accident in the Army I have shrunk a few inches. If you already feel cramped with a 70mm stem why change to a 50mm and cause more cramping?

Kneecap I love the stifness of the bars. I dont like a lot of flex.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    @Htek & chef. I really like the bike and I do about 30% of shuttling and 70% of riding up the hill and going down, since I spend my summers at a ski resort.

My goal is to participate in an enduro, I trained for a maxi avalanche last year but OTB the week before on the course so didn't follow it through. Already working on my fitness and do train technique.

My problem is that when it gets rough and steep I get the feeling that an OTB is coming and I've had a couple of bad ones. I feel limited going in high speed through rock gardens. I know it's not a DH and I don't want it to be, but I want to tweak it to see if I can avoid breaking my neck :P

So to summon it up, I want to go down the hill quicker and go bigger

I wont change the shock even though I had some bottom outs, going to try higher pressure. Don't have that kind of money to spend right now.

By shorter stem I was thinking that it would change the weight balance backwards, the cockpit just feels a tad small after I changed to wider bars but I don't want to go back to that feeling.

1 degree angle set would make it more aggressive and slightly longer wheelbase, is it money well spent though?

Sry for wall of text and thanks for taking your time.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast