Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Damn you rich Europeans!
    I wish! They are affordable vs. the 1.000 euros that I need for the Lyrik & Vivid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey Guys,

I bought a new 2013 Reign 0 which came spec'd with a float CTD adjust shock. Is it normal for the rear suspension action to NOT feel locked out with the float set to Climb mode, bouncing around in a parking lot? The fork, in comparison, feels locked out in climb mode.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Can i put this cassette (Shimano SLX HG81 10 Speed MTB Cassette | Chain Reaction Cycles) in my 2011 reign 2 to convert it to 2x10?
    Will i have to change the RD or it is possible to make any adjustment to the 9 speed X7 to play well with the 10 speed cassette?

***** lurker
    Sorry to say, you will need to purchase a 10spd derailleur, as well as a 10spd shifter & 10spd chain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the info. I thought that this was the case but you never know!

Στλθηκε απ το C1905 μου χρησιμοποιντας Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey guys, I'm about ready to replace the blown out fox dhx air4.0 on my 2010 large reign 1.

When I let all the air out of my stock 7.875 x 2.00 shock, the curved crossmember of the rear triangle comes incredibly close to the front derailleur cable on the backside of the seat tube. Everyone in this thead says a 2.25 just works without much detail. Have you bottomed out? There doesn't appear to be any extra room for anoth 3/4 inches of travel. Am I missing something? I know many moved the front derailleur up so the swing arm doesn't hit it. That's not what I'm talking about

Also looking to go with a 10x135 mm bolt up hope pro II EVO. I haven't seen many people talk about this in this thread either. Seems like a no brainer upgrade as my stock Deore hub is crap. The added stiffness of the bolt up sounds awesome. Thoughts?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by xjrides View Post
    Hey guys, I'm about ready to replace the blown out fox dhx air4.0 on my 2010 large reign 1.

When I let all the air out of my stock 7.875 x 2.00 shock, the curved crossmember of the rear triangle comes incredibly close to the front derailleur cable on the backside of the seat tube. Everyone in this thead says a 2.25 just works without much detail. Have you bottomed out? There doesn't appear to be any extra room for anoth 3/4 inches of travel. Am I missing something? I know many moved the front derailleur up so the swing arm doesn't hit it. That's not what I'm talking about
    I tested my Fox Van-R without the coil spring on it and it went through full range with no problem...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    ...When I let all the air out of my stock 7.875 x 2.00 shock, the curved crossmember of the rear triangle comes incredibly close to the front derailleur cable on the backside of the seat tube. Everyone in this thead says a 2.25 just works without much detail. Have you bottomed out? There doesn't appear to be any extra room for anoth 3/4 inches of travel. Am I missing something? I know many moved the front derailleur up so the swing arm doesn't hit it. That's not what I'm talking about

Also looking to go with a 10x135 mm bolt up hope pro II EVO. I haven't seen many people talk about this in this thread either. Seems like a no brainer upgrade as my stock Deore hub is crap. The added stiffness of the bolt up sounds awesome. Thoughts?
    I tested my Fox Van-R without the coil spring on it and it went through full range with no problem...
    As already noted, you should test it out before riding. I am pretty sure my Vector HLR Air is a 7.785 x 2.25, I did have all the air out of the main chamber and fully cycled the shock to see if it would have any contact. If I remember correctly I had to slightly move the front D out slightly so it wouldn't hit the rear arm on the triangle.

For the rear wheel/hub, yes that is the my main complaint on the Reign. It really should have a 12 x 142 or something like it. I have a 135 x 10 Thru-bolt and use the DT Swiss RWS thru axle. Big difference over a standard QR with the skinny little skewer.

Have fun with the mod

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall View Post
    As already noted, you should test it out before riding. I am pretty sure my Vector HLR Air is a 7.785 x 2.25, I did have all the air out of the main chamber and fully cycled the shock to see if it would have any contact. If I remember correctly I had to slightly move the front D out slightly so it wouldn't hit the rear arm on the triangle.

For the rear wheel/hub, yes that is the my main complaint on the Reign. It really should have a 12 x 142 or something like it. I have a 135 x 10 Thru-bolt and use the DT Swiss RWS thru axle. Big difference over a standard QR with the skinny little skewer.

Have fun with the mod
    I will also use the rws dt swiss 10mm thru bolt. Pumped about that.

I'm thinking of going with the monarch plus rc3. I don't need a coil on this bike as my build is already at 31.5 lbs. the glory handles the coil shock needs. I guess from reading this I need to search for a medium tune.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The RC3 Plus is great, I like it better than the RP23, depending on the riding you are doing, the X-Fusion Vector HLR Air is a step up, handles the rougher terrain better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have a 2012 Reign 1. No major changes yet but I just swapped the tyres out for a Minion DHR2 rear and High Roller 2 front in 26x2.4 - only slightly bigger than the tyres that came on it, but seems to be heaps more volume.

Where I ride "grows rocks" so I also put on a carbon frame protector I got off ebay that has already paid for itself a few times over.

Future mods will be tubeless tyres, and better brakes. For now.

I've been curious about a bigger rear shock, or even a coil in the back, so will be reading back through this tread.

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 Reign 2. I am now going to get that DT Swiss 10x135 thru bolt. it should just plug and play into the stock tires that came on the bike right?

I also ultimately want to put a 170 Lyric with DH damper and a New rear air shock with the longer stroke, maybe an angle set to slack her out a bit more. I basically want to make my reign a park.FR bike.

mtbr member

Iím in a similar situation. Thinking about upgrading to a Cane Creek DB Air rear shock 7.87 x 2.25 but their customer service rep has just told me that it wonít fit. The extra bit of squish would be nice but I donít want to spend $600+ on a shock that I canít use so Iím on the fence right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Thomson X4 1.5 stem on 2013 Reign 1

Thomson X4 1.5 stem on my Reign 1.

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-photo-1.jpgGiant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-photo-2.jpgGiant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-photo-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-20140422_102848.jpgGiant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-20140422_102903.jpg

Trying out the Rock Razor. Seems to be a pretty good rear tire. Rolls fast, bites pretty good on the sides. Still getting used to it, I could get away with about whatever I wanted with the Minion it replaced. Not the case here.

mtbr member
    Question for other Reign owners. I'm 5'6 in shoes with about a 30 inch inseam. I bought a medium because it was a great deal. After getting more experience riding I'm starting to think maybe the medium frame is a little tad bit large for me? Any others with experience? Thinking of moving to a small frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I am 6 ft (183 fm) and I also ride a medium Reign but I have a rather low inseam (83 cm). Coming from a large Fuel EX I feel the medium Reign to be more maneuverable but I believe that 6 ft is the final upper limit for a medium.

In your case and considering that you are 5.6 ft a small frame could possibly have the same handling as the medium has for me.

***** lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    Question for other Reign owners. I'm 5'6 in shoes with about a 30 inch inseam. I bought a medium because it was a great deal. After getting more experience riding I'm starting to think maybe the medium frame is a little tad bit large for me? Any others with experience? Thinking of moving to a small frame.
    I'm 5'6 and love the stand over of my small 2011 Reign (even w/ the 650b), but have to run a 75mm stem just for reach... I was actually in the market for a medium reign so I can run a shorter stem... IIRC, the SO height between the small & med wasn't much of a difference

mtbr member
    Lets trade frames!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cfanto View Post
    I'm 5'6 and love the stand over of my small 2011 Reign (even w/ the 650b), but have to run a 75mm stem just for reach... I was actually in the market for a medium reign so I can run a shorter stem... IIRC, the SO height between the small & med wasn't much of a difference
    Can you post a photo of your Reign with the 650B wheels? What tire do you have in the back?

***** lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    Can you post a photo of your Reign with the 650B wheels? What tire do you have in the back?
    Attachment 888419

I'm running NeoMoto's front and rear

***** lurker
    Lets trade frames!
    What year is yours? Any pics?

***** lurker
    I've been wanting to replace the OEM wet-noodle Float 32 w/ a coil 35/36...
    Anyone know if the new gen Marzocchi 55's have clearance issues w/ 650b? Otherwise, my second choice would have to be the Vengeance HLR (170mm) w/ Van 36 (160mm) last on my list.

Also, any issues with running coil front & air in the rear? ...at least till I can afford to replace the rear shocks... As the fronts are gonna set me back a bit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Attachment 888419

I'm running NeoMoto's front and rear
    Great thank you. What size are they (2.1, 2.2 etc)? Do you have any clearance issues?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I've been wanting to replace the OEM wet-noodle Float 32 w/ a coil 35/36...
    Anyone know if the new gen Marzocchi 55's have clearance issues w/ 650b? Otherwise, my second choice would have to be the Vengeance HLR (170mm) w/ Van 36 (160mm) last on my list.
    Hmmm... philosophically against getting a Pike?

Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks the long-travel Float 32 is really not up to Reign-type tasks and terrain. Thing is a frikkin' NOODLE.

Also, any issues with running coil front & air in the rear?
    Nope.

***** lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    Great thank you. What size are they (2.1, 2.2 etc)? Do you have any clearance issues?
    No clearance issues w/ the 2.3's front & rear... Though I'd eventually like to get a 2.4 or 2.5 up front.

Here's a mud ride I did a few months back...
    Attachment 888471

***** lurker
    Hmmm... philosophically against getting a Pike?

Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks the long-travel Float 32 is really not up to Reign-type tasks and terrain. Thing is a frikkin' NOODLE.

Nope.
    The Pike is actually first on my list if I go air spring... But they're pricey & haven't seen any used Pikes yet. Do you know how it compares to coil? Does it have the same small bump suppleness?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The Pike is actually first on my list if I go air spring... But they're pricey & haven't seen any used Pikes yet. Do you know how it compares to coil? Does it have the same small bump suppleness?
    Are you running the original float 32 with the 27.5 tire in the front? Also any modifications to the rear to put the 27.5 in the back?

Thanks
    2011 Giant Reign

***** lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotwhls View Post
    Are you running the original float 32 with the 27.5 tire in the front? Also any modifications to the rear to put the 27.5 in the back?

Thanks
    Yes, I did run the stock fork w/ the 27.5 in front. As you can see, there was still plenty of clearance:
    Attachment 891575

No modifications were necessary to fit the 27.5's... front or rear. I just slapped them in & rode them. I did take note from another forum that recommended NeoMoto's for the rears. Someone had attempted to run Nevegal 27.5's... and while they fit fine in the front, the rears rubbed. From what I understood the Nevegal 2.35's are a tad bit taller than NeoMoto's 2.35's.

***** lurker

Reign w/ a Vengeance!

Got my Vengeance HLR Coil! I need to get a ride on it to see if I stilll need to reduce the travel down to 160mm... but I'm hoping to keep the whole 170mm. I'm just concerned about how it's gonna feel climbing hills.

Unboxing:
    Attachment 891579
    Attachment 891580

Note the straight steerer - I couldn't find any (new) tapered versions for under $500 so I just ran an FSA crown reducer and fit it into the Reign's tapered headtube:
    Attachment 891581

Substantial beefiness!
    Attachment 891582

Attachment 891583

Attachment 891588

mtbr member
    Sweet! How is the Xfusion riding? I just put a Lyrik on mines but didn't get a chance to go ride yet.

***** lurker
    Sweet! How is the Xfusion riding? I just put a Lyrik on mines but didn't get a chance to go ride yet.
    It was sweet! I took it to Soquel Demo Forest last weekend. It was very confidence-inspiring. It just ate up all the drops & sketchy rock garden sections. Climbing on it was no problem, neither. Though I had to slam my stem all the way down to the headset to accommodate the higher A2C. I also thought I'd be (internally) reducing the travel to 160mm, but I love it the way it is (@ 170mm).

It's funny to hold up my old Fox Float 32 - it just seems like a toy - lol

mtbr member
    Nevermind I was able to find what I need.

Got a brand new 2011 Reign 0 frame coming from the dealer! Pictures coming when I get the frame and build it.
    Last edited by I_AM; 05-19-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: foudn answer

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It was sweet! I took it to Soquel Demo Forest last weekend.
    Visited Santa Cruz and rode SDF this past weekend. Did ridge -> saw pit trail and back up the fireroad. Towards the end of saw pit the rear suspension stiffened up significantly like a huge increase in spring rate. I pulled over and the rear shock was warm to the touch. Bike was stiff when trying bounce on it at the top of the travel range. Did the shock over heat? Have you experienced this on these trails? Sorry for the noob question

The shock is stock 2013 LV float ctd-adj set to descend.

***** lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilenemo View Post
    Visited Santa Cruz and rode SDF this past weekend. Did ridge -> saw pit trail and back up the fireroad. Towards the end of saw pit the rear suspension stiffened up significantly like a huge increase in spring rate. I pulled over and the rear shock was warm to the touch. Bike was stiff when trying bounce on it at the top of the travel range. Did the shock over heat? Have you experienced this on these trails? Sorry for the noob question

The shock is stock 2013 LV float ctd-adj set to descend.
    No, I've never had any issues w/ my stock OEM Fox Float RP2...
    We did the exact same route... Ridge -> Saw Pit -> Hinh's Mill Rd.
    But then again, I was with a group, so we stopped every so often to regroup.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I've heard rumors of air cans overheating... but never experienced it myself. 'Course now with a coil I won't have to.

***** lurker
    I've heard rumors of air cans overheating... but never experienced it myself. 'Course now with a coil I won't have to.
    Hey SkaredShtles, which coil are you using & how does it affect suspension bob when pedaling uphills?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    hmm i guess i have to do more testing at the local bike park this summer

mtbr member
    Today is a bittersweet day. Last shot of my 2011 Giant Reign 2. First full suspension bike I ever owned and it was a good bike to me. I loved it to death.

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-last-shot.jpg

The new frame: 2011 Giant Reign 0
    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-frame.jpg

A small and medium frame side by side.
    Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-side-side.jpg

May contain nuts

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)

2011 was too big?

mtbr member
    They both are 2011's. The medium was just a tad bit big I'm only 5'6.

mtbr member
    Anyone running clutch derailleur with narrow chainring? How are drop issues?

mtbr member
    Been running that combo for close to a year now, everything from dirt jumps, the bike park, and some incredibly rocky trails and have yet to drop a chain. Dropped it more when I running a full guide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboardorblade View Post
    Been running that combo for close to a year now, everything from dirt jumps, the bike park, and some incredibly rocky trails and have yet to drop a chain. Dropped it more when I running a full guide.
    You're running a Zee derailleur?

mtbr member
    Yep. Zee and the Race Face Narrow Wide. Awesome combo.

May contain nuts

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)

Narrow wide and XT medium length - still get the odd drop

Doesnt ride Banshees
    I ran an XO crank with a North Shore Billet spider and XX1 chainring on mine. Never had a chain drop with the XO type rear derailleur. Sadly, its now up for sale, for anyone who wants a fresh Reign frame in a rare color

Giant Reign in rare color, Lyrik RC2 option, Photos - Classifieds

mtbr member
    32T RF NW and a Sram x9 type 2 and yet to drop a chain..

Anyone running clutch derailleur with narrow chainring? How are drop issues?

mtbr member
    Hey everyone. New to the Forum, and just getting back into mountain biking after 14 yr hiatus or so.
    Just got a used reign 1 at a fair price. I have put quite a few miles on it, and I am looking to upgrade it. It is just fine as is, but I feel it has even more potential.
    I have been doing mostly all mtn, bike park and light lift serviced stuff. Going over this thread can be a bit overwhelming with all the different generations mixed, and which years cross over which etc.
    I bought the bike, it was advertised as a 2010, but i believe it to be the 09 (very dark midnight blue, gold accent pieces. I don't think the owner was trying to pull a fast one, just didn't know, was a fortunate owner of multiple bikes.
    I am looking for a point in the right direction, would love to beef of the suspension
    to 160mm-170mm up front, I want something stronger in the rear as well.
    Some questions I have are
    1 am I limited to straight steer up front? or is there easy way to convert to tapered? (I've read conflicting reports and only one post on teton gravity research that talks about botched modification)
    2 What are my options for rear shock? It is a size L I am not concerned about weight, I would love a bit more plush decent. 5'11" 215lbs

Thanks for any help and info, any links to exact parts, models, classified ads I should consider would be a huge help.
    I read as many threads as I can to become informed, but it seams, the suspension market is constantly changing and I just want the best bang for my buck.Name:  reign 1.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  34.1 KB

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Cliff's Notes:

Get a 2.25" coil for the rear shock
    You *are* stuck with the straight steerer - get a 160mm Lyrik with a straight steerer.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast