Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ZePequeno View Post
    My last modification, BOS Deville
    Awesome :-D
    Do you like it? Do you feel the 160mm difference? and the 34mm?
    Assuming you're coming from 150mm / 32mm

Planning on doing the exact same move, would love to hear some feedback
    Congrats!

F

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Monarch RC3 impressions

Quote Originally Posted by rideitall View Post
    mtbbiker - how is the Vivid Air breaking in.

So far I only have one ride on the Monarch RC3. Had set it up a 30% sag, but part way down the first descent I dropped the air pressure from 210 - 200psi which increased the sag close to 35%. Felt much better, still pedaled very well. I read in another post that the RS shocks need quite a few rides to fully break in and feel at their best.

Hadn't really noticed the C-Guide you were running until now. I have one on order and it should be in place for the next ride. I have already shortened up the chain as much as possible and had considered getting a Stinger BB mount chain guide, that would work with my 2010 Reign. From what I read the C-Guide is a much better solution. I can't recall the last time I dropped a chain, but the chain slap in annoying and hopefully the C-Guide will fix this.

Also, how have you been finding the Charger wheelset. I am also running these. Overall, I am finding them reasonably stiff, but perhaps not as stiff as my previous wheelset with Hope Pro II and Syncos DP25 rims. I wanted to run tubeless so I changed out the Charger's when CRC was selling them off.

cheers
    Ridetail- what are your impressions of the RC3 now that it's broken in? I'm having the common problem of blowing through travel on my Giant, and am seriously considering the Monarch. Have you noticed a drop in pedaling performance? Worried about losing the burst acceleration needed to clear big embedded boulders while in a pedaling ring.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lapaz34 View Post
    My Giant Reign 1 2011.
    Fox Van 36 180 RC2 Fit
    Fox DHX RC4
    Badass! How do you like the rc4 back there? Check your PM's! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    hey I just picked up a 2012 giant reign 2. was wondering what mods should i get for my rear shock as it bottoms out a lot and looking to upgrade asap! any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonw37 View Post
    hey I just picked up a 2012 giant reign 2. was wondering what mods should i get for my rear shock as it bottoms out a lot and looking to upgrade asap! any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Coil.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've actually been thinking of that. What weight of the coil would you suggest as I'm about 200 lbs? Thanks for the help!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonw37 View Post
    I've actually been thinking of that. What weight of the coil would you suggest as I'm about 200 lbs? Thanks for the help!
    Mountain Bike Spring Rate Calculator

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

shock choice

Depending on the riding style but I ride up and down hills so I LOVE my DHX 5.0 Air. I put it on last year (used) and haven't EVER had a problem. I weigh 230. If you use the boost valve PSI as a mid range adj, you can get it feeling close to a coil with half the weight!! I found a good shock tutorial on MTBR and it has helped immensely. I also bought an extra 1/4 inch stroke length on purpose to give me an extra 3/4" travel. It works. Here's the tutorial . FOX DHX AIR 5.0

I find it odd that this shock gets thrashed in the ratings so much. People keep talking about the air pressures they use... does anyone read the manual? I love the shock and if you use is right it will last (6 m for me and counting).

Main chamber 50-300 PSI (start with 200)
    Boost chamber 125-200 PSI (start with 125)

Basic Tune:
    1)Set sag (25% of travel). Add/subtract 10-15 pds increments to the main chamber.
    2)Set bottom out adjustment. This effectively changes the size of the boost chamber. Larger chamber= less spring rate increase and more likely to bottom out. Smaller chamber= rapid spring rate increase and more bottom out resistance.
    3)Set Boost chamber pressure. Here is where tuning comes in... More pressure here= more mid stroke pre-load

Set rebound to taste.

Hope this helped.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Here's the tutorial for the coil:

Purchase coil shock. Purchase correct spring. Install shock. Adjust rebound to taste. Ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Here's the tutorial for the coil:

Purchase coil shock. Purchase correct spring. Install shock. Adjust rebound to taste. Ride.

What's the PSI for the boost valve and main chamber? Any decent coil has both w/out having to worry about the "correct spring." Or maybe .....sounds like you let your LBS work on that stuff. Putting a coil shock on an AM bike is pretty ridiculous (imo). That would be the reason people ask, "What style riding are you doing?"

mtbr member
    thought i should post mine little beast
    2012 reign 1,

mods,
    x9 2x10 cranks 26/39
    race face atlas low rise bars

thats about it so far,
    coming soon
    70mm stem
    works angel set, going to rake it out to 66*

longer term mods im trying to work out
    650b, maybe in a year or two. if anyone has done a 650b with the revelation give me a shout, trying to figure out what rubber will fit under. planning to use ZTR rims
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-p1050385.jpg  

Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-p1050390.jpg  

2012 Giant Reign 1

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantaber View Post
    Putting a coil shock on an AM bike is pretty ridiculous (imo).
    You're more than welcome to cling to your incorrect opinion.

mtbr member
    You're more than welcome to cling to your incorrect opinion.
    in my experience i dont think i will ever ride mine on rough enough DH terrain, long enough and hard enough to worry about reduced performance from my air shock.

Although i have read if your full out DH and want a 6" park bike the reign does do incredibly well with a coils.

But for my local XC+ DH/AM trails im happy with the performance as it is, until we get a chair lift.

muahahahah
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantaber View Post
    What's the PSI for the boost valve and main chamber? Any decent coil has both w/out having to worry about the "correct spring." Or maybe .....sounds like you let your LBS work on that stuff. Putting a coil shock on an AM bike is pretty ridiculous (imo). That would be the reason people ask, "What style riding are you doing?"

What exactly do you mean 'any coil has both w/out having to worry about the "correct spring"'?? the main chamber of an air shock **is the spring** just like the coil **is the spring** of a non-air (coil) shock. Both require some setup for any individual riders weight by either changing the pressure on the air version or the coil on the coil shock, boost valve has nothing to do with this. You sound pretty confused, so please cling to your opinion while the rest of us ride on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinGB View Post
    in my experience i dont think i will ever ride mine on rough enough DH terrain, long enough and hard enough to worry about reduced performance from my air shock.

Although i have read if your full out DH and want a 6" park bike the reign does do incredibly well with a coils.

But for my local XC+ DH/AM trails im happy with the performance as it is, until we get a chair lift.

muahahahah
    coil sprung shocks are not just for DH. even at very low speeds the improvement in bump sensitivity/traction is very noticeable, while the difference in weight is only noticeable when setting the bike on and off the rack...get a Ti coil spring and the difference is even less.

sure air springs are far more convenient for changing sag settings for yourself or swapping out with a buddy who's more than a few lbs lighter or heavier than you are, but that's about it.

myself, i use a fox van RC, and at first i tried a few different rate springs (steel coils are very very cheap, especially used) to determine which rate was best for me, then stayed patient and picked up a used Ti spring and could not be happier, haha so happy in fact i went back to a coil sprung front fork.

anyways, it's good to have choices, and really they're all compromises so pick which best suits you, and don't be afraid to experiment regardless what anyone else thinks.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Damn... this makes me sad.

To be completely honest... if the DHX-Air wasn't such a pile of crap and the bike had come with a Monarch I'd probably not have taken the time/effort to go with the coil.

mtbr member
    Damn... this makes me sad.
    lol, that was more a of a comment to the quality of the monarch.. rather then a comment on my riding.. But im kinda a *****, no drops over 4' and i avoid jumps for the most part.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    lol, that was more a of a comment to the quality of the monarch.. rather then a comment on my riding.. But im kinda a *****, no drops over 4' and i avoid jumps for the most part.
    Yeah - the Monarch is awfully nice. I ended up with an inexpensive used Van-R and upgraded the coil to a nice Ti model.

And around here we often ride stuff like this that goes on for miles:

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    This is my 2012 reign
    i love this bike and use it for everything. one thing i didn't like was the steapish head angle, as sometimes when riding steep technical rocky sections i would have an over the bar. so i changed my fork to a fox 36. this gave a slightly more relaxed head angle and also gives a lot more control. not so much flex. I also changed the bar to 750mm. This gave me a lot more control through rough sections too. but felt like it was a bit slow, and could over steer. I then changed my stem to 50 or 60mm(it was a while ago), this helped keep my weight back(preventing otb)a bit and sped up the steering. Was a bit worried the change it head angle and stem length would affect climbing, but no. i can still ride everything i could on my santacruz blur xc carbon. When i got the new fork i decided to build a hope pro 2, flow wheel. i did it with just zip ties as guides, spoke wrench and the fork as the stand. Worked great. little fiddely but love the wheel. After that i wanted to get rid of that horrible shimano hubbed back wheel. beerings where crap. so i built a hope pro 2, spank rim, 10mm thru axle wheel.
    The wheel is awesome. stiff and the thru axle makes a huge difference. when riding gravely dh before, i couldn't find the drift point easily. it would either hold or let go completely. with the thru axle you can slide the back wheel with control.
    With these upgrades the bike does everything comfortably, xc to dh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Reign Modifications (Not Reign X)-new-pic-mtb.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hello,

I'm planing to change the shock of my Reign (MY 2009). I was looking to replace it with a nice Nicolai or Orange or liteville, but after all the Rein is a nice chassis, relatively light and mine is in a good state.

The shock is a Fox DHX air 4. Never serviced, this could be an expensive thing to do now. I will replace it with a RS Monarch. I think I should find a High compression tune. What's about it? Has somebody here any experience with it ?? Not sure of Monarch RT 3 or Monarch Plus...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Samos View Post
    Hello,

I'm planing to change the shock of my Reign (MY 2009). I was looking to replace it with a nice Nicolai or Orange or liteville, but after all the Rein is a nice chassis, relatively light and mine is in a good state.

The shock is a Fox DHX air 4. Never serviced, this could be an expensive thing to do now. I will replace it with a RS Monarch. I think I should find a High compression tune. What's about it? Has somebody here any experience with it ?? Not sure of Monarch RT 3 or Monarch Plus...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2010 Reign that I tried the stock RP23 on, then had it tuned specific for the bike and my riding preferences. Felt better, but still lacking. I now have a stock Monarch RC3 Plus. Feels better, more controlled, handles everything I can throw at it. Yes a coil would likely feel even smoother if you want to go that route, but the RC3+ feels pretty damn fine.

I have a med/med tune, I wouldn't want to ride a high tune for either the compression or rebound. I have the regular air can on and somewhere down the road might even try the large air can to see what it does for the ride.

FWIW, I typically ride with the shock on the open position, and if I think of it, on a long fire road climb I might put in the middle setting. I run it at 28 - 30% sag, which lets the bike have excellent traction without feeling mushy. If I wanted to ride more XCish trail perhaps could push the sag to 25%.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for your anwer rideitall. This is not the first time I read that the medium tune is ok. Here in Europe, we have the tendency to ride with a quite firmer suspension setup as you, North American. Don't understand me wrong, this is not better, this is different.

Curious if somebody else have tried a Monarch RT3 and not the Monarch Plus RC3.

mtbr member
    i run my monarch rt fairly firm, 25% sag but i have the floodgate turned up so its pretty firm. Mainly i due this on the climb to the top and more XC type riding. I find the long travel in rough punchy type of trails to be a bit "bobby", leaves me dabbing my feet more then i care too when its dialed in the way i like it for descents.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mackienz View Post
    This is my 2012 reign
    i love this bike and use it for everything. one thing i didn't like was the steapish head angle, as sometimes when riding steep technical rocky sections i would have an over the bar. so i changed my fork to a fox 36. this gave a slightly more relaxed head angle and also gives a lot more control. not so much flex. I also changed the bar to 750mm. This gave me a lot more control through rough sections too. but felt like it was a bit slow, and could over steer. I then changed my stem to 50 or 60mm(it was a while ago), this helped keep my weight back(preventing otb)a bit and sped up the steering. Was a bit worried the change it head angle and stem length would affect climbing, but no. i can still ride everything i could on my santacruz blur xc carbon. When i got the new fork i decided to build a hope pro 2, flow wheel. i did it with just zip ties as guides, spoke wrench and the fork as the stand. Worked great. little fiddely but love the wheel. After that i wanted to get rid of that horrible shimano hubbed back wheel. beerings where crap. so i built a hope pro 2, spank rim, 10mm thru axle wheel.
    The wheel is awesome. stiff and the thru axle makes a huge difference. when riding gravely dh before, i couldn't find the drift point easily. it would either hold or let go completely. with the thru axle you can slide the back wheel with control.
    With these upgrades the bike does everything comfortably, xc to dh.
    Nice bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Agree with you RobinGB, I'm also riding my Reign in a quite firm setting. Not by having a higher pressure in the shock, but I let the ProPedal of my DHX air always activated. Not sure if it's due to the fact that I never serviced my shock or what, but without the Pro Pedal it's really blowing thru the travel on everything.

Do you ride longer descent like we have in the Alps with your Monarch RT Robin ?

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast