mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Giant reign 2012 headset fit

Hi,
    Im thinking of purchasing a 2012 Giant Reign frameset only. After some research, it seemed that the frameset uses the new overdrive 2 standard, whatever it is. Question is, can i swap it out for a standard tapered headset (1.5 - 1 .125) to run my fork with a 1.125 straight steerer? (with a reducer crown race of course). This greatly affects my purchase. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would check Cane Creek's website to see what they have as far as reducing headsets for that top headset cup to reduce from whatever overdrive 2 is (1.25?) to 1.125 . Then you'd need another reducing cup on the bottom to go from 1.5 to 1.125.

I have a 1.5 to 1.125 reducing cup in the lower headtube of my trance x to use a regular 1.125 fork and it works fine. As far as overdrive 2 *I personally* wouldn't buy a bike with an as yet uncommon new "standard" and would look elsewhere as much as I like how Maestro suspension rides. The likelihood of finding an aftermarket fork with a non standard steerer tube is pretty much nil (or god forbid the very likely scenario of you wanting to change your stem and have to deal with the lack of selection in 1.25 stems) and having to run adapter cups in a design with dubious performance benefits in the first place is IMO pretty stupid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for your response, im assuming u meant a bigger diameter (on the top part of the reign's headtube) is required to accomodate a 1.25 headset? Does that mean i can't interchange it with a 1.125 cup because of sizing difference?

i suppose the easiest way to put it is: "Can i fit a standard steerer (1.125") into the new 2012 giant reign headtube, using standard tapered sized headset?"

*Nevermind, found the answer..
    MuddBunnies Riding PINKBIKE questions the Giant’s OverDrive 2 Steerer Tube Sizing
    Last edited by babyrabies; 03-20-2012 at 08:59 AM.

locked - time out
    Mar 2012

Giant is smart

Yeah, thats the beauty of the new Overdrive 2 system. A lot of people are *****ing about it but its only because they don't understand it. Any bike with the tapered head tube can adopt the new technology if they so choose too and anyone who buys a bike with that technology can use the current/older technology if they want. Giant simply said they think if we make the forks steer tube a little bigger up top it will increase stiffness and handling but they are not forcing it on anyone. I actually test rode one with this technology and I love it!! I have a 2011 Giant Trance advanced that I will be converting to the Overdrive 2 Technology. All I'll need is the new Giant headset, stem, and Fox fork with the new steer tube and I'm ready to go! I'll sell my current fork and it will not cost me that much.

*B*
    mtbr member
    Its a little different for us DJ guys considering we interchange lots of BMX parts on our MTB 26' bikes. I'm all for better tech and results but it remains to be seen weather or not aftermarket companies will jump on this for my application. So, too clarify... The overdrive 2 is a 1.5 bottom to a 1 1/8 top staggered headset. This is what it appears to be on the STP. Does anyone know if you buy a complete bike if you get adaptors for a 1 1/8 strait steer tube?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by *B* View Post
    Its a little different for us DJ guys considering we interchange lots of BMX parts on our MTB 26' bikes. I'm all for better tech and results but it remains to be seen weather or not aftermarket companies will jump on this for my application. So, too clarify... The overdrive 2 is a 1.5 bottom to a 1 1/4 top staggered headset, correct??? Ive gotten different answers on this, but that is what it appears to be on the STP. Does anyone know if you buy a complete bike if you get adaptors for a 1 1/8 strait steer tube?
    Based on what ive found, I believe u will need to change your headset (at least the top cup and the crown race) to fit a 1 1/8 steerer. The inner headtube diameter is actually unchanged and fits any standard tapered cups, should u decide to change a new headset.

*B*
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by babyrabies View Post
    Based on what ive found, I believe u will need to change your headset (at least the top cup and the crown race) to fit a 1 1/8 steerer. The inner headtube diameter is actually unchanged and fits any standard tapered cups, should u decide to change a new headset.
    Yea, I've been looking at bearing spacers but I may just use a different heasdset. On the giant web site it says that the overdrive 2 is easily converted to run a 1 1/8 strait steer tube fork and that the frame only sale comes with a bottom adaptor. I wish they elaborated more on this and it seems you would need a top adaptor as well because the the top is 1 1/4 not 1 1 1/8. I have a complete on the way and plan on running my argyle rct, I'm going to call them on monday and get some info.

*B*
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *B* View Post
    Yea, I've been looking at bearing spacers but I may just use a different heasdset. On the giant web site it says that the overdrive 2 is easily converted to run a 1 1/8 strait steer tube fork and that the frame only sale comes with a bottom adaptor. I wish they elaborated more on this and it seems you would need a top adaptor as well because the the top is 1 1/4 not 1 1 1/8. I have a complete on the way and plan on running my argyle rct, I'm going to call them on monday and get some info.
    Just to clarify!!!!! The Giant frames that come with staggered headsets are different for road and mountain.....
    Road frames are 1 1/4 top to 1.5 bottom
    MOUNTAIN frames are 1 1/8 to 1.5 bottom
    Important to know when purchasing bearing reducers to run 1 1/8 strait steer tube forks

That is the headset not frames diameter

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    these might help:

nukeproof headsets

mtbr member
    May 2011
    hey there guys - i have a giant reign x 1 2012 and a problem - i have a fox 36 float r installed and i want to change to a new talas or dual position which have both the "old" tapered standard. now it seems i can keep the lower 1,5 cup but will need something that reduces my 1, 1/4 to 1 1/8 - sorry i didnt get the point of the posts before me due to my bad english so could you please post me the link of a headset which will suit the reign x 2012 steerer tube?

PLSPLS help this new standard makes me going nuts

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Cane Creeks ZS44, just buy the top. The Top Head Tube Inside Dia. of the OD2 is 44.00mm.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    awesome - thanks a lot! have you any experiences with that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm facing the same issue with my new Trance X 29er. I'm switching out the fork and I need the top bearing so that I can run a 1 1/8" tapered steerer. But a friend called FSA to find out what size the OD2 top bearing is and they couldn't help. Does anyone know the size or part number for the FSA bearing required? This is all new territory for me - usually I don't swap too many parts on my bike once I get it but I needed 130 mm of travel.
    "If at first it doesn't bleed, try try again."

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi. I am reviving this thread since I want to change the fork of my 2013 Reign SX that has the overdrive 2 headset. I was checking this thread and others and it seems that I need to only change the upper part with a ZS44. However since I will change it anyway I want to buy a complete headset so what is the correct one?

A ZS44 / ZS56?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Any help will be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Yes the ZS44 / ZS56 is the combo you want. I just used this for my new Pike fork on my 2013 Reign 2.

As someone else mentioned, I believe you can get away with just replacing the top bearing set. I went with a different colour so I switched both.

Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    Hi. I am reviving this thread since I want to change the fork of my 2013 Reign SX that has the overdrive 2 headset. I was checking this thread and others and it seems that I need to only change the upper part with a ZS44. However since I will change it anyway I want to buy a complete headset so what is the correct one?

A ZS44 / ZS56?

mtbr member
    good info here, I just got a trance and am going to run a fox tapered fork. going to order the zs44. ill report back when installed for future reference. im sure a lot of people are going to be searching this info eventually
    2006 Monocog Flight 26
    2013 On One 456 II 26
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi. I can confirm that a ZS44 / ZS56 headset is all you need. I already made the change. You only need to change the top part but I changed both anyway.

I also installed the OD2 fork and headset to another bike that had a 44mm inner dimension.