mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Giant Reign 1.5LTD 2016 or Giant Advanced 1 2016

Hey,

i have finally registered i have been reading this forum for a couple of years but never really posted something, i always found enough info without asking

So here is the thing i am finally buying my enduro bike and i have nailed down to this two, only this two i am considering based on my very good price, local dealer and support so i am sold here

I am 190cm and I weight 115kg i have already choose the XL size. I can get a 1.5ltd for 3k and adv 1 for 4k

So here is my main question, what would you choose or in other words is the Reign Advanced worth the extra grand?

Giant Reign Advanced 1 2016 or Giant Reign 1.5 LTD

1.5LTD: Reign 1.5 LTD (2016) | Giant Fahrräder | Deutschland

ADV 1: Reign Advanced 1 (2016) | Giant Fahrräder | Deutschland

Giant Reign 1.5LTD 2016 or Giant Advanced 1 2016-23-reign-adv-1.jpgGiant Reign 1.5LTD 2016 or Giant Advanced 1 2016-25-reign-1.5-ltd.jpg
    Ill try to brake it down in short pros and cons of either.

The way I see it is that the Advanced model have a better rear shock (RL compared to R), better saddle, carbon front triangle, m1700 wheelset, giant dropper with 150mm in my size, the only really negative thing is a dual position pike which i read is not as perfect compared to RC or RCT3.

The 1.5LTD same groupset, RC pike, reverb dropper with 125mm and a wheelset that need to be changed in near future and thats about it.

So i would love to hear your opinions and advices and i know you're tired of this same o same questions about which one i should get but i am pondering this two options for the last two weeks and i am overthinking it so i really need your opinion.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaci View Post
    is the Reign Advanced worth the extra grand?
    yes. Haha that was easy!

I actually testrode that very same Adv 1 model last week. The colour is badass, it's reasonably light (13.6kg) and agile however, compared to my Trance SX the same deboinair rear shock in the Reign needs a ridiculously amount of air pressure (300 vs 220psi!) and still feels as if you plump into the travel on steep climbs.

The DPA feature comes in handy for extended climbs, I have the same fork on my Trance and use it a lot. Actually I'd recommend you to check out the Trance SX before making your decision, I rode both bikes head to head last year and again this year and wouldn't go for the Reign as my everyday do it all bike but that's just my 2c. Oh and if you eventually still go with the Reign please make sure to check out size L! (I'm 180 and have a L Trance but would go with a M Reign)

And as you're an experienced forum user why don't you post in the Giant sub forum in the first place??

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    You are overcalculating and complicating things (i see same thread on pinkbike....), you get carbon frame and better equipment for 1000 more, it's that simple! If you can afford it easily, go for it and be happy, if you can hardly afford it go for aluminium one and be happy. You are in win-win situation

With carbon don't forget your heart will bleed when it will crash over rocks. Weight difference is simmilar to taking some extra water or not, nothing to be worried about. In the end, both bikes are very very good and will suit you just fine (maybe Trance SX would be fine too). I always go for aluminium versions, they are reliable, my heart is not bleeding when bike goes down the hill without me on it, those thousand $ difference were better spent on skills clinic and trip to italian Dolomites

2010 Glory custom FR
    I was about to buy R1.5 LTD, and upgrade it with some nice carbon components. But then, I've checked R ADV 1 specs, and it was clear to me, that this bike nothing more, than CF handlebar
    So, I can't wait to get mine in January
    pozdro
    frango