mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Giant Rainier vs Trek 4900

It has been some time since I purchased last. (Previous bike was a modified '96 Bianchi Lynx) I went to the shop last week and these are the two that seemed to spark the next step. I have done some research, pros vs cons, and I am looking for some feedback.

I am hard on my bikes. Tend to torque them quite a bit. I am 6', 235 lbs, very strong lower body, moderate level trail riding.

The 4900 is lower in price and has some good features. However, the Rainier was offered (at a discounted price) to me since they did not have the Iguana in the 19" frame for me. Am I wack for not just jumping on a bike and going?

Any insight I can get it greatly appreciated.

WWYD?

Get the Rainier...

I have the 02 Rainier with the Marz EXR air fork with discs. This was a killer deal for me at $620 two years ago. I now use it as a backup ride since I've gone fully. I rode it like mad for a year and a half with close to 6,000 miles. No problems except for the fork began to leak oil since the seals needed a rebuild. Normal stuff.

I'm not too sure about the Trek other than its probably a good ride too. But my dealings with Giant, then and now make me lean towards the Rainier.

By the way, I'm 6'2" and 220 lbs and hard on bikes too.
    Last edited by johnnyb; 06-23-2004 at 06:49 PM. Reason: add more info

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

From some of the research....

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb
    I have the 02 Rainier with the Marz EXR air fork with discs. This was a killer deal for me at $620 two years ago. I now use it as a backup ride since I've gone fully. I rode it like mad for a year and a half with close to 6,000 miles. No problems except for the fork began to leak oil since the seals needed a rebuild. Normal stuff.

I'm not too sure about the Trek other than its probably a good ride too. But my dealings with Giant, then and now make me lean towards the Rainier.

By the way, I'm 6'2" and 220 lbs and hard on bikes too.
    ....I have done. It seems that there are some things I would need to re-vamp on the rainier. The crank appears to be given some people issues and with riding hard, I might opt to go with the Shimano crank (that comes on the Trek). What about the fork? Never having had a bike with suspension, it is tough for me to judge.