mtbr member
    Jul 2008

No good Giant "PRO" Bikes

Thanks for sticking it to the little guy. Wanting to order an Anthem Advanced 27.5 1 from my LBS and they need to order 5 "PRO" Level MTB's to upgrade to "PRO" dealer status to get me the bike.

I passed on a Giant Anthem Advanced two seasons ago as I had already been riding 650b for a while and didn't want to go back to 26". I went with a Cannondale Scalpel instead as it would accomodate 650b wheels. Now the Anthem 27.5 is out and I can't get one because it's a "PRO" bike. Good chance Giant will loose a second sale from me.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Well, tighten up!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    May 2011
    That sucks. One of our dealers around here is dropping Giant due to some of the stuff that has been going on this year. They didn't tell me exactly what, but I imagine it's stuff like this.

Your Best Friend
    This isn't abnormal in the bike industry. Specialized does the same thing. Not only does your dealer have to do that for mountain bikes, but also for road bikes. One doesn't count for the other. Giant is trying to get dealers to really commit to their brand. If you are that interested in that bike, find a different Giant dealer.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    The way I've heard the policy, it was done specifically to prevent people from going to larger dealers that stock the SL bikes and test riding them, then going back to their LBS that isn't big enough to stock the bikes to test ride, and ordering them there. Which is interesting, because I couldn't find a Large Anthem to ride ANYWHERE within three hours of me when I was looking to buy my Anthem. In fact, there weren't any left to ORDER anywhere. The result was, I ordered a bike I'd never ridden, and waited two months for delivery. But, I'm satisfied with the results. So I guess you have to ask yourself if you think the product is worth compromising your immediate gratification for.

mtbr member
    "Wanting to order an Anthem Advanced 27.5 1 from my LBS and they need to order 5 "PRO" Level MTB's to upgrade to "PRO" dealer status to get me the bike."

That is the dumbest business model I have ever heard of.... why would any small shop carry Giant anymore then? Giant used to be the champion of the small shop, no?

that said, the Anthem 27.5 looks like a ripping bike by the #s.