mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Giant Pistol 1 questions

I came across a fairly good price on an '06 Giant Pistol 1, but i'm wondering about the rear shock. One, of the only two reviews on Mtbr say that the rear shock is not replaceable with other shocks...

is this true that i won't be able to upgrade in the future on this bike? i'm new to the full suspension scene after riding a hardtail for the last 10 years...

Also, does anyone know or have an estimate on the weight of this bike in a stock setup?

Thanks for any help!

I just let one RIP
    The rear shock mount is different than most shocks, and soi t may be difficult to find an upgrade to the rear shock. I believe there actually are a couple options, but there are not a whole lot and so they may be hard to find.

The Pistol is a good first dual suspension bike, pretty tough, can take a pounding. You mention finding a good deal on the Pistol, so if economics are a concern, it may be a good choice to go with for now. Or if you rare new to riding it is a decent choice because it is kind of a do-all bike and after you have ridden it a year or two, you'll have a good idea what you'd want in a bike, then could spring more dough into a ride that will fit your style best--xc race, trail, fr, etc. Having said that, I would encourage you to try to get a low-end Trance if you can afford it--it'll cost a little more and may not have as nice parts on it, but the suspension design is much much better and the frame is truly worthy of upgrades. And it is an excellent all-around trail bike.

I would guesstimate the weight of the Pistol 1 to be in the 32-34 lbs range.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I agree with Jwiffle...i was in the same situation you are in, not really wanting to spend that much money so i was looking into the pistol, but i decided to go ahead and get a trance on closeout, the bottom of the line trance at the time. Now i have upgraded pretty much everything on the bike. In the long run, a pistol wont be worth it to upgrade, but a trance with a lifetime warranty is the way to go

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    what about an almost brand new Pistol 1 for <$200? I'm thinking it might just be worth it for the spare parts...

Are there any adapters or kits to set it up with another rear shock?

I just let one RIP
    Less than $200?! That's a no brainer, go for it.

for the record, a Pistol also has a lifetime warranty. Of course, the warranties are only good for the original owner. With the price you mention, I assume you are looking at a used bike, even if only slightly. Nevertheless, at that price, unless something is majorly wrong the bike, I say go for it. That's a lot of bike for so little cash.

As far as I know, there are no adapters...you may be able to get a machine shop to fabricate you something, though. (if the bike was new, it would probably void the warranty, but if you don't have a warranty, anyway, why not try?)

StraightOuttaCompton
    im not sure but im having a whole lot of truble finding a replacement for it. Thats the only thing left stcok on my bike