mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Giant P-XC29er 2 and S-XC29er 2 weights

Anyone know the weights on these wheelsets?

I am after weights on bare wheels no tires, Q/R or cassette etc

mtbr member
    There is a thread on here on these Giant wheel sets.. I cant find it now. I believe the SXC29 weight is around 2000-21000 grams.

mtbr member
    Here is the thread. There are a few weights thrown around. I would like to see the wheels on a scale as I am considering going from S-XC292 to a Stans wheelset for tubeless.

The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jclyle View Post
    Here is the thread. There are a few weights thrown around. I would like to see the wheels on a scale as I am considering going from S-XC292 to a Stans wheelset for tubeless.

The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread
    I went through that thread before I posted but could only find referrences to the 26" wheels

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Epic rider
    Front and rear, rim strip including, excluding all else.

Edit: 29er wheels...

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant P-XC29er 2 and S-XC29er 2 weights-uploadfromtaptalk1351665069576.jpg  

Giant P-XC29er 2 and S-XC29er 2 weights-uploadfromtaptalk1351665144649.jpg  

Last edited by rapsac; 10-31-2012 at 11:58 PM.
    12 Anthem X29
    07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    RapSac - what size are those wheels? Thanks for the pics!

mtbr member
    They're 29" - you can see it on the rim in the first picture.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I am sure the following is pretty close for the PXC-2 wheel set. Originally posted by scyule on The Giant PXC-2/SXC-2 Wheelset thread:

P-XC 2.....weight.

Front wheel with rim strip ( without 15mm thru axle).953 grams
    15mm thru axle 71 grams
    Rear wheel with rim strip 1215 grams
    Rear quick release 63 grams

I just upgraded my 2011 Giant AX3 29er from the SXC-2 to the PXC-2 and they seem to roll much faster and a bit lighter. The shop I talked to said they are a really good wheelset and very close in weight to the Stans Flow wheelset. The PXC-2 were much cheaper as well...got both wheels brand new for $100. I set them up tubeless with Bontrager rim strips/valve stem, stans, and Geax Saguaro. It was very easy to do and sealed right up with no leaks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    cheers, thats some heavy wheels.

FYI Stans Flow EX are 1890grams and Stans Arch EX All Mountain are 1685grams

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Eh...at 6'4" and 250lbs whose counting grams...hahaha...seriously though I don't race, but love the sport and gets me my exercise to keep my wife off my back.

Quick question about the weights on the Stans rims...where did you get those figures because the Stans wheelset calculator has them at much lower weights configured with hubs and spokes. Was the weight you have with tire, QR, etc?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Wow, 2302 grams a set for the P-XC29, did not realize they where that heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmorg1075 View Post
    I am sure the following is pretty close for the PXC-2 wheel set. Originally posted by scyule on The Giant PXC-2/SXC-2 Wheelset thread:

P-XC 2.....weight.

Front wheel with rim strip ( without 15mm thru axle).953 grams
    15mm thru axle 71 grams
    Rear wheel with rim strip 1215 grams
    Rear quick release 63 grams

I just upgraded my 2011 Giant AX3 29er from the SXC-2 to the PXC-2 and they seem to roll much faster and a bit lighter. The shop I talked to said they are a really good wheelset and very close in weight to the Stans Flow wheelset. The PXC-2 were much cheaper as well...got both wheels brand new for $100. I set them up tubeless with Bontrager rim strips/valve stem, stans, and Geax Saguaro. It was very easy to do and sealed right up with no leaks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think the stock hub in the sxc2 and pxc2 rims is kind of heavy.. I went with the x9 hubs since they seemed to be the best weight/performance/cost ratio... and they were a direct replacement as opposed to the xt hub. btw x9 hub is sealed cartridge and the xt hubs are ball and cone.
    I think I shaved close to 3/4 pound by switching from the stock sxc2 to the archex/x9/dt swiss comp spokes tubeless.. perhaps it was more ..but it was nearly a pound weight difference when all was said and done give or take a few oz

EDIT:
    according to my lbs upgrading from my stock scx2 to archex/s9/tubeless knocked 1.6 pounds of my bikes total weight.

so thats pretty significant. I do however think a large part of that weight reduction is just the subtraction of the tubes.. so even just making the scx2 wheels tubeless will help a lot and ride better imho
    Last edited by Bigfoots; 01-04-2013 at 08:56 AM.