Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    R.I.P. DogFriend

The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

It's hard to find more than a snippet or two here and there about the Giant house brand wheels, specifically the P-XC and S-XC models.

The good, the bad, the ugly.

The things I am most interested in:

The actual rim weight(s)?

Internal width(s)?

What are the actual differences between the P-XC and the S-XC rims?

Do they convert to tubeless? (and how easily do they do so?)

And whatever else posters would like to discuss about these wheels

3. . . . . . . 2. . . . . . . 1. . . . . . . GO!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have the SXC's and they are heavier than lead. I dont have a scale so I am interested in the weight also.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I've heard they are hand built.

mtbr member
    P-XC( off a Anthem 29'r 1) ,converted to tubeless about an hour ago with Stans tape and a valve. Wasn't the easiest to bead up but got it done with a compressor(Maxxis tires).

Tossin the salad.
    I have the S-XC2. From the information that I got from my Giant dealer is he highly praised that they are a very solid high quality rim. Also he said that they can go tubeless with stans.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebobelak
    P-XC( off a Anthem 29'r 1) ,converted to tubeless about an hour ago with Stans tape and a valve. Wasn't the easiest to bead up but got it done with a compressor(Maxxis tires).
    Good to know. Originally, these were supposed to be tubeless compatible in some way or another, but I have not heard much reported about how they actually work.

One of the things I do when inflating tires on my own Flow rims, is that if they don't inflate right away (they almost never do) is to put my thumbs into the center of the tread and then use the my fingers on each sidewall to pull up and out as I press down with my thumbs. I do that several times (every three or four inches) around the circumference of the wheel and then put the air to it again. That pulls the beads toward the outsides of the rim and onto the 'shoulders' of the spoke bed, and usually does the trick right away.

I also use a ball chuck (http://www.slgtools.com/ball-chuck-b...68cc62b69a1feb) and a presta to schraeder adapter rather than a standard inflator as they flow more air and are very easy to work with. to get the bead seated.

If it didn't, I would probably put on another round or two of tape and go after it again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    Good to know. Originally, these were supposed to be tubeless compatible in some way or another, but I have not heard much reported about how they actually work.

One of the things I do when inflating tires on my own Flow rims, is that if they don't inflate right away (they almost never do) is to put my thumbs into the center of the tread and then use the my fingers on each sidewall to pull up and out as I press down with my thumbs. I do that several times (every three or four inches) around the circumference of the wheel and then put the air to it again. That pulls the beads toward the outsides of the rim and onto the 'shoulders' of the spoke bed, and usually does the trick right away.

I also use a ball chuck (http://www.slgtools.com/ball-chuck-b...68cc62b69a1feb) and a presta to schraeder adapter rather than a standard inflator as they flow more air and are very easy to work with. to get the bead seated.

If it didn't, I would probably put on another round or two of tape and go after it again.
    Now that I've have some sleep..
    I'd recommend using a hair dryer or heat gun on low to work the tape into the rim, the center channel is fairly "deep" and the tape needed to be worked down if you want it to be "pretty".
    The front tire went on just fine; newer Ignitor with the "new sidewall", the rear was the stock tire (Anthem 29r1) Crossmark, it is not labeled as a UST/lust....so it put up the most fight.
    Agree on the "air" trick. I took it to the next level. I have a non OSHA( no line restriction) squeeze handled "air blower", with the valve core removed the " slightly modded" tip fits into the valve....

mtbr member
    Im planning on goin tubeless with p-xc 29 wheels.

Do I need one or two layers of gorilla tape?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebobelak
    Now that I've have some sleep..
    I'd recommend using a hair dryer or heat gun on low to work the tape into the rim, the center channel is fairly "deep" and the tape needed to be worked down if you want it to be "pretty".
    If you're using the yellow tape from Stans, it works best if you really pull hard on it as you go around the rim and it has always gone down all the way into the spoke bed. Don't be shy with it, it's pretty strong stuff. It's also good practice to mount up a tire with a tube in it and leave it overnight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Has anyone tried the guetto conversion? How was it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    has anyone weighed the sxc's or the pxc's? Im curious of the weight.

mtbr member
    Converted the front wheel to tubeless using two layers of Gorilla tape. Used an Arden 2.25 tire.

Used about 4 scoops of sealant and shook the wheel while slowly turning to get the sealant on the bead.

Used a floor pump to get the bead pop in. The trick is to shack and turn the wheel while pumping it. Use one hand to pump while the other hand for shacking and rotating the wheel.

Haven't ridden with the setup yet but it's holding air perfectly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    What width Stan's tape did you use for the XC29 (v2) rims?

I'm getting a Anthem X 29er 1 in a few weeks and want to have the LBS order up the right tape.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Thru axle to 9mm conversion on P-XC2

a friend of mine has the P-XC2 wheels that are set to come off her 2011 Giant Anthem X1 W.

She is looking to sell them to a friend but would like to know if the front wheel has a compatible 15mm to 9mm plug similar to what Mavic sells for there conversions? Also what do you all think would be a fare price for the set? wheels only no cassette.

My dogs are barkin
    Apr 2008
    My two cents:

P-XC2 profile inner bead width is 19mm with a sleeve joint. The rim weights are: 440g (26") and 490g (29") give or take 10g. 24mm tall profile allows for a slightly shorter spoke which helps manage the overall wheel weight PLUS increase the stiffness slightly.

S-XC2 profile inner bead width is also 19mm with a pinned joint. The rim weights are: 460g (26") and 520g (29"), also give or take 10g. A slightly shorter profile is not nearly as radially stiff which does allow for slightly greater vertical compliance.

Hope it helps.

B
    I know just enough to be dangerous
    --Me

SoCAL
    06/17/2009

mtbr member
    Bump for more opinions on this wheelset.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am getting my Anthem x1 29er later this week and want to set up tubeless immediately. Can you really only go with some stans/gorilla tape and a valve stem?

mtbr member
    I did gorilla tape and valves.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Have done the electrical tape with valve stem - took a while to air upů
    Also just tried the 29er Bontranger symmetrical rim strip with valve made for tubeless use - very happy with this arrangement as: if there is a flat - take out valve - use existing as rim strip and add tube/tyre - off we go! Rim strip is a sort of semi hard plastic that fits right across rim.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tegski
    Have done the electrical tape with valve stem - took a while to air upů
    Also just tried the 29er Bontranger symmetrical rim strip with valve made for tubeless use - very happy with this arrangement as: if there is a flat - take out valve - use existing as rim strip and add tube/tyre - off we go! Rim strip is a sort of semi hard plastic that fits right across rim.
    I have used these in the past with little fuss. I might just order these instead. Still cheaper than a stan's strip.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by salmartinez
    She is looking to sell them to a friend but would like to know if the front wheel has a compatible 15mm to 9mm plug similar to what Mavic sells for there conversions? .
    I also have a set of S-XC2's that I'm looking to sell and have someone that want's to know about conversion from 15QR to 9mm. Anyone know the answer to if this is possible??

Also, who makes these hubs for Giant?

PSYCHOLUST
    P-XC 2.....weight.

Front wheel with rim strip ( without 15mm thru axle).953 grams
    15mm thru axle 71 grams
    Rear wheel with rim strip 1215 grams
    Rear quick release 63 grams

Of course these weight are WITHOUT tires/cassette/brake disc/
    Also worth noting, the stock ASPEN tires are nice and light but are mounted with 180 gram tubes.
    Last edited by scyule; 03-06-2011 at 03:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scyule
    P-XC 2.....weight.

Front wheel with rim strip ( without 15mm thru axle).953 grams
    15mm thru axle 71 grams
    Rear wheel with rim strip 1215 grams
    Rear quick release 63 grams

Of course these weight are WITHOUT tires/cassette/brake disc/
    Also worth noting, the stock ASPEN tires are nice and light but are mounted with 180 gram tubes.
    I got an XTC 29er 1 over the weekend. I weighed the wheels in stock, unused, off the showroom floor "ready to ride" condition.

P-XC 2 front wheel with tire, tube, 180mm rotor. Without thru axle. 1850 grams
    P-XC 2 rear wheel with tire, tube, 160mm rotor, cassette. Without skewer. 2466 grams.

I haven't found a weight for the rear cassette, but it's a 11-36T unit, so I think it makes up the biggest difference between the front and rear weights (assuming rear hub is a normal amount heavier than the front hub). Depending on how the shake-down rides go, I might go to a lighter and more conventional 11-34 or 11-32 cassette.

I think the wheels are the biggest difference between the 2010 and 2011 XTC 29er, since the 2011 bike feels like a rocket. I didn't ride the 2010, but some said it felt sluggish until the replace the wheels. I'm actually going to hang on to these P-XC2 wheels and see how they hold up.

PSYCHOLUST
    Quote Originally Posted by willevans
    I got an XTC 29er 1 over the weekend. I weighed the wheels in stock, unused, off the showroom floor "ready to ride" condition.

P-XC 2 front wheel with tire, tube, 180mm rotor. Without thru axle. 1850 grams
    P-XC 2 rear wheel with tire, tube, 160mm rotor, cassette. Without skewer. 2466 grams.

I haven't found a weight for the rear cassette, but it's a 11-36T unit, so I think it makes up the biggest difference between the front and rear weights (assuming rear hub is a normal amount heavier than the front hub). Depending on how the shake-down rides go, I might go to a lighter and more conventional 11-34 or 11-32 cassette.

I think the wheels are the biggest difference between the 2010 and 2011 XTC 29er, since the 2011 bike feels like a rocket. I didn't ride the 2010, but some said it felt sluggish until the replace the wheels. I'm actually going to hang on to these P-XC2 wheels and see how they hold up.

OK, I think we are just looking at this from different points of veiw... My curiousity with the weight of the wheels without cassette and discs ect, was so that I could compare the weight to the published weights of other options. I ended up swapping out the standard QR hub on my AMERICAN CLASSIC wheels for a 15mm through axle hub so I could trim around 700 grams of rotating weight as well as replacing the tubes with Maxxis Flyweight for another 180 gram saving.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast