• 12-26-2010
    jeffj
    The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread
    It's hard to find more than a snippet or two here and there about the Giant house brand wheels, specifically the P-XC and S-XC models.

    The good, the bad, the ugly.

    The things I am most interested in:

    The actual rim weight(s)?

    Internal width(s)?

    What are the actual differences between the P-XC and the S-XC rims?

    Do they convert to tubeless? (and how easily do they do so?)

    And whatever else posters would like to discuss about these wheels :thumbsup:

    3. . . . . . . 2. . . . . . . 1. . . . . . . GO!
  • 12-28-2010
    alefak
    I have the SXC's and they are heavier than lead. I dont have a scale so I am interested in the weight also.
  • 12-28-2010
    iamamodel
    I've heard they are hand built.
  • 12-29-2010
    mikebobelak
    P-XC( off a Anthem 29'r 1) ,converted to tubeless about an hour ago with Stans tape and a valve. Wasn't the easiest to bead up but got it done with a compressor(Maxxis tires).
  • 12-29-2010
    TX_Shifter
    I have the S-XC2. From the information that I got from my Giant dealer is he highly praised that they are a very solid high quality rim. Also he said that they can go tubeless with stans.
  • 12-30-2010
    jeffj
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mikebobelak
    P-XC( off a Anthem 29'r 1) ,converted to tubeless about an hour ago with Stans tape and a valve. Wasn't the easiest to bead up but got it done with a compressor(Maxxis tires).

    Good to know. Originally, these were supposed to be tubeless compatible in some way or another, but I have not heard much reported about how they actually work.

    One of the things I do when inflating tires on my own Flow rims, is that if they don't inflate right away (they almost never do) is to put my thumbs into the center of the tread and then use the my fingers on each sidewall to pull up and out as I press down with my thumbs. I do that several times (every three or four inches) around the circumference of the wheel and then put the air to it again. That pulls the beads toward the outsides of the rim and onto the 'shoulders' of the spoke bed, and usually does the trick right away.

    I also use a ball chuck (http://www.slgtools.com/ball-chuck-b...68cc62b69a1feb) and a presta to schraeder adapter rather than a standard inflator as they flow more air and are very easy to work with. to get the bead seated.

    If it didn't, I would probably put on another round or two of tape and go after it again.
  • 12-30-2010
    mikebobelak
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jeffj
    Good to know. Originally, these were supposed to be tubeless compatible in some way or another, but I have not heard much reported about how they actually work.

    One of the things I do when inflating tires on my own Flow rims, is that if they don't inflate right away (they almost never do) is to put my thumbs into the center of the tread and then use the my fingers on each sidewall to pull up and out as I press down with my thumbs. I do that several times (every three or four inches) around the circumference of the wheel and then put the air to it again. That pulls the beads toward the outsides of the rim and onto the 'shoulders' of the spoke bed, and usually does the trick right away.

    I also use a ball chuck (http://www.slgtools.com/ball-chuck-b...68cc62b69a1feb) and a presta to schraeder adapter rather than a standard inflator as they flow more air and are very easy to work with. to get the bead seated.

    If it didn't, I would probably put on another round or two of tape and go after it again.

    Now that I've have some sleep..
    I'd recommend using a hair dryer or heat gun on low to work the tape into the rim, the center channel is fairly "deep" and the tape needed to be worked down if you want it to be "pretty".
    The front tire went on just fine; newer Ignitor with the "new sidewall", the rear was the stock tire (Anthem 29r1) Crossmark, it is not labeled as a UST/lust....so it put up the most fight.
    Agree on the "air" trick. I took it to the next level. I have a non OSHA( no line restriction) squeeze handled "air blower", with the valve core removed the " slightly modded" tip fits into the valve....
  • 12-30-2010
    Dictatorsaurus
    Im planning on goin tubeless with p-xc 29 wheels.

    Do I need one or two layers of gorilla tape?
  • 12-30-2010
    jeffj
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mikebobelak
    Now that I've have some sleep..
    I'd recommend using a hair dryer or heat gun on low to work the tape into the rim, the center channel is fairly "deep" and the tape needed to be worked down if you want it to be "pretty".

    If you're using the yellow tape from Stans, it works best if you really pull hard on it as you go around the rim and it has always gone down all the way into the spoke bed. Don't be shy with it, it's pretty strong stuff. It's also good practice to mount up a tire with a tube in it and leave it overnight.
  • 01-05-2011
    dlorga
    Has anyone tried the guetto conversion? How was it?
  • 01-05-2011
    alefak
    has anyone weighed the sxc's or the pxc's? Im curious of the weight.
  • 01-12-2011
    Dictatorsaurus
    Converted the front wheel to tubeless using two layers of Gorilla tape. Used an Arden 2.25 tire.

    Used about 4 scoops of sealant and shook the wheel while slowly turning to get the sealant on the bead.

    Used a floor pump to get the bead pop in. The trick is to shack and turn the wheel while pumping it. Use one hand to pump while the other hand for shacking and rotating the wheel.

    Haven't ridden with the setup yet but it's holding air perfectly.
  • 02-01-2011
    gdbrekke
    What width Stan's tape did you use for the XC29 (v2) rims?

    I'm getting a Anthem X 29er 1 in a few weeks and want to have the LBS order up the right tape.
  • 02-01-2011
    pumaking


  • 02-08-2011
    salmartinez
    Thru axle to 9mm conversion on P-XC2
    a friend of mine has the P-XC2 wheels that are set to come off her 2011 Giant Anthem X1 W.

    She is looking to sell them to a friend but would like to know if the front wheel has a compatible 15mm to 9mm plug similar to what Mavic sells for there conversions? Also what do you all think would be a fare price for the set? wheels only no cassette.
  • 02-08-2011
    Duke of Earl
    My two cents:

    P-XC2 profile inner bead width is 19mm with a sleeve joint. The rim weights are: 440g (26") and 490g (29") give or take 10g. 24mm tall profile allows for a slightly shorter spoke which helps manage the overall wheel weight PLUS increase the stiffness slightly.

    S-XC2 profile inner bead width is also 19mm with a pinned joint. The rim weights are: 460g (26") and 520g (29"), also give or take 10g. A slightly shorter profile is not nearly as radially stiff which does allow for slightly greater vertical compliance.

    Hope it helps.

    B
  • 02-10-2011
    Dictatorsaurus
    Bump for more opinions on this wheelset.
  • 02-14-2011
    Sb.Reno
    I am getting my Anthem x1 29er later this week and want to set up tubeless immediately. Can you really only go with some stans/gorilla tape and a valve stem?
  • 02-15-2011
    Dictatorsaurus
    I did gorilla tape and valves.
  • 02-15-2011
    tegski
    Have done the electrical tape with valve stem - took a while to air upů
    Also just tried the 29er Bontranger symmetrical rim strip with valve made for tubeless use - very happy with this arrangement as: if there is a flat - take out valve - use existing as rim strip and add tube/tyre - off we go! Rim strip is a sort of semi hard plastic that fits right across rim.
  • 02-15-2011
    Sb.Reno
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tegski
    Have done the electrical tape with valve stem - took a while to air upů
    Also just tried the 29er Bontranger symmetrical rim strip with valve made for tubeless use - very happy with this arrangement as: if there is a flat - take out valve - use existing as rim strip and add tube/tyre - off we go! Rim strip is a sort of semi hard plastic that fits right across rim.

    I have used these in the past with little fuss. I might just order these instead. Still cheaper than a stan's strip.
  • 02-23-2011
    jreinan01
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by salmartinez
    She is looking to sell them to a friend but would like to know if the front wheel has a compatible 15mm to 9mm plug similar to what Mavic sells for there conversions? .

    I also have a set of S-XC2's that I'm looking to sell and have someone that want's to know about conversion from 15QR to 9mm. Anyone know the answer to if this is possible??

    Also, who makes these hubs for Giant?
  • 03-06-2011
    scyule
    P-XC 2.....weight.

    Front wheel with rim strip ( without 15mm thru axle).953 grams
    15mm thru axle 71 grams
    Rear wheel with rim strip 1215 grams
    Rear quick release 63 grams


    Of course these weight are WITHOUT tires/cassette/brake disc/
    Also worth noting, the stock ASPEN tires are nice and light but are mounted with 180 gram tubes.
  • 03-08-2011
    willevans
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by scyule
    P-XC 2.....weight.

    Front wheel with rim strip ( without 15mm thru axle).953 grams
    15mm thru axle 71 grams
    Rear wheel with rim strip 1215 grams
    Rear quick release 63 grams


    Of course these weight are WITHOUT tires/cassette/brake disc/
    Also worth noting, the stock ASPEN tires are nice and light but are mounted with 180 gram tubes.

    I got an XTC 29er 1 over the weekend. I weighed the wheels in stock, unused, off the showroom floor "ready to ride" condition.

    P-XC 2 front wheel with tire, tube, 180mm rotor. Without thru axle. 1850 grams
    P-XC 2 rear wheel with tire, tube, 160mm rotor, cassette. Without skewer. 2466 grams.

    I haven't found a weight for the rear cassette, but it's a 11-36T unit, so I think it makes up the biggest difference between the front and rear weights (assuming rear hub is a normal amount heavier than the front hub). Depending on how the shake-down rides go, I might go to a lighter and more conventional 11-34 or 11-32 cassette.

    I think the wheels are the biggest difference between the 2010 and 2011 XTC 29er, since the 2011 bike feels like a rocket. I didn't ride the 2010, but some said it felt sluggish until the replace the wheels. I'm actually going to hang on to these P-XC2 wheels and see how they hold up.
  • 03-08-2011
    scyule
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by willevans
    I got an XTC 29er 1 over the weekend. I weighed the wheels in stock, unused, off the showroom floor "ready to ride" condition.

    P-XC 2 front wheel with tire, tube, 180mm rotor. Without thru axle. 1850 grams
    P-XC 2 rear wheel with tire, tube, 160mm rotor, cassette. Without skewer. 2466 grams.

    I haven't found a weight for the rear cassette, but it's a 11-36T unit, so I think it makes up the biggest difference between the front and rear weights (assuming rear hub is a normal amount heavier than the front hub). Depending on how the shake-down rides go, I might go to a lighter and more conventional 11-34 or 11-32 cassette.

    I think the wheels are the biggest difference between the 2010 and 2011 XTC 29er, since the 2011 bike feels like a rocket. I didn't ride the 2010, but some said it felt sluggish until the replace the wheels. I'm actually going to hang on to these P-XC2 wheels and see how they hold up.


    OK, I think we are just looking at this from different points of veiw... My curiousity with the weight of the wheels without cassette and discs ect, was so that I could compare the weight to the published weights of other options. I ended up swapping out the standard QR hub on my AMERICAN CLASSIC wheels for a 15mm through axle hub so I could trim around 700 grams of rotating weight as well as replacing the tubes with Maxxis Flyweight for another 180 gram saving.
  • 03-08-2011
    willevans
    I was just posting to this thread for people curious about the stock specs of the wheelset.

    I'm curious as to how much can be saved by going with a lighter front and rear rotor and a ghetto tubeless conversion.
  • 03-08-2011
    willevans
    Hey Dictatorsaurus,

    Where did you get the valves for your Gorilla Tape Getto Tubeless setup?
  • 03-08-2011
    Dictatorsaurus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by willevans
    Hey Dictatorsaurus,

    Where did you get the valves for your Gorilla Tape Getto Tubeless setup?

    Stans makes different valves for different setups. I got their "standard" valves for regular rims. They also make valves for UST specific rims.
  • 03-09-2011
    tegski
    Has anyone tried to get at the bearings in the front 15mm Giant Hub from the PXC2?
    Mine were making some noises on Sat and I am not sure how to take off the caps around the 15mm axle. There are flats on them, but they do not seem to undo easily - I was not going to lean on the spanner without being sure what would happen nextůany advice gratefully received.
  • 03-10-2011
    scyule
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by willevans
    I haven't found a weight for the rear cassette, but it's a 11-36T unit, so I think it makes up the biggest difference between the front and rear weights (assuming rear hub is a normal amount heavier than the front hub). Depending on how the shake-down rides go, I might go to a lighter and more conventional 11-34 or 11-32 cassette.
    .


    Keep in mind that your new XTC comes with a TEN SPEED cassette, If you are going to change it for something lighter, you can't grab a 9 speed from the garage and pop it on, it won't shift
  • 03-10-2011
    willevans
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by scyule
    Keep in mind that your new XTC comes with a TEN SPEED cassette, If you are going to change it for something lighter, you can't grab a 9 speed from the garage and pop it on, it won't shift

    In case you aren't trolling, the whole reason why I bought the 2011 over the 2010 was the improved wheels and 10-speed drivetrain. I meant to imply earlier that I'd just sell the 11-36 and put that money towards a 10spd cassette with an 11-32 spread.

    For future notes: someone who uses a gram scale to weigh bike components typically (but not always) understands the compatibility issues between different drivetrains.
  • 03-17-2011
    TX_Shifter
    my bad, double post
  • 03-19-2011
    Rhys05
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Duke of Earl
    My two cents:

    P-XC2 profile inner bead width is 19mm with a sleeve joint. The rim weights are: 440g (26") and 490g (29") give or take 10g. 24mm tall profile allows for a slightly shorter spoke which helps manage the overall wheel weight PLUS increase the stiffness slightly.

    S-XC2 profile inner bead width is also 19mm with a pinned joint. The rim weights are: 460g (26") and 520g (29"), also give or take 10g. A slightly shorter profile is not nearly as radially stiff which does allow for slightly greater vertical compliance.

    Hope it helps.

    B

    Interesting, so the rim weight on the P-XC2 is actually very close to the Stan's Arch rim (470g) and about 100g more than the Crest. That is good information to have! Thanks!
  • 03-19-2011
    gvs_nz
    My P-xc2 off AX1 are 913/ 1045 total at 1958g. Air up possibly even tighter than crests with a plenty of popping noises. I run with just stans yellow tape and sealant OK[ I always run a couple of psi higher without rim strips though]
    I like them especially the quiet DT350 hub on the rear compared to my hope hubs.Look like DT competition 2.0mm/ 1.8mm spokes. Really don't need to upgrade something like a flow wheelset as these are sensible weight and stiffness.
  • 03-20-2011
    ingsma
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gvs_nz
    My P-xc2 off AX1 are 913/ 1045 total at 1958g.

    What makes up your measured weight (Wheel, hub, cluster, etc.)? It doesn't sound too bad at all.
  • 03-20-2011
    gvs_nz
    The usual, bare wheel with OEM rim tape, no skewer.
  • 04-15-2011
    LeonOfBristol
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gvs_nz
    My P-xc2 off AX1 are 913/ 1045 total at 1958g. Air up possibly even tighter than crests with a plenty of popping noises. I run with just stans yellow tape and sealant OK[ I always run a couple of psi higher without rim strips though]
    I like them especially the quiet DT350 hub on the rear compared to my hope hubs.Look like DT competition 2.0mm/ 1.8mm spokes. Really don't need to upgrade something like a flow wheelset as these are sensible weight and stiffness.

    I'm going to collect an Anthem X2 tomorrow, and I was looking to drop a bit of weight. I thought the wheels might be a good place to start, but I think these won't be so easy to sell on, and looking at those figures, I won't even save so much weight.

    perhaps I should just rebuild the wheels with revs and alloy nipples and be done with it.
  • 04-15-2011
    gvs_nz
    X2 wheels are different to X1. X1 use DT350 rear hub, DT competition 2.0/1.8 spokes and alloy nipples.X2 wheels would be about 200g heavier X1. You could drop 140g with revs and alloy nipples. If you also switch to a XT M775 CL rear hub you would come similar to the X1 wheels.
  • 04-17-2011
    LeonOfBristol
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gvs_nz
    X2 wheels are different to X1. X1 use DT350 rear hub, DT competition 2.0/1.8 spokes and alloy nipples.X2 wheels would be about 200g heavier X1. You could drop 140g with revs and alloy nipples. If you also switch to a XT M775 CL rear hub you would come similar to the X1 wheels.

    The wheels on my X2 have Sapim Race spokes, which are also double-butted. Can't imagine there's a lot of difference in weight.

    Actually, having finally ridden this bike, the thing I like least about the wheels is the rear hub engagement, which feels very slow compared to my other wheels (Hope Pro2, DT 240s & a King). I'm not sure I can live with it. Weight seemed fine though. Not super light, but definitely not heavy either. I haven't weighed them, since I don't have any scales, but I don't feel they are really holding me back.

    Leon
  • 05-09-2011
    willevans
    I converted my rear wheel with the stock Maxxis Aspen on it to ghetto tubeless and it's working really well.
  • 05-10-2011
    seewhatididther
    I guess I didn't need the whole kit with the rim strips and everything! Can you guys who've gone tubeless using tape and valves go into more detail for a beginner? Did you remove the tape giant had in there before you put down your tape? The tape that came with my stans plus 4 kit does not seem wide enough for my Pxc 29er wheels...
  • 05-10-2011
    willevans
    My first attempt was with Gorilla Tape and a Stan's valve. I couldn't pinpoint the leak source, but it wouldn't hold pressure overnight. After three rides where the tire would effectively be flat after 10 miles I had to replace with a tube. Now, with the ghetto tubeless method, the tire holds air as if there was a tube in it and I'm comfortable running at 5 psig less than before (with tubes).
  • 05-11-2011
    Phaceplant
    Tried the G Tape method and couldnt get tire to air.
    Tried innertube method seems to be working better, but I used some sealant from the shop I work at, and it must be old or garbage sealer, (not name familiar). Still seeping out around bead. Trying new sealant, I live in the boonies so slime is the most available.
    Got to ride tubeless on the way home, I am totally blown away by the diff.
    I wont give up till I get it right. Its worth it.
  • 05-11-2011
    Dictatorsaurus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Phaceplant
    Tried the G Tape method and couldnt get tire to air.
    Tried innertube method seems to be working better, but I used some sealant from the shop I work at, and it must be old or garbage sealer, (not name familiar). Still seeping out around bead. Trying new sealant, I live in the boonies so slime is the most available.
    Got to ride tubeless on the way home, I am totally blown away by the diff.
    I wont give up till I get it right. Its worth it.

    How many layers of Gorilla tape?

    I did two layers. Crossmark and Ardent seated fine with floor pump.
  • 05-11-2011
    JimmyNeutron10101
    Anyone tried enlarging the valve hole from a Presta to Schrader on their S-XC2? Does it weaken the rim? Anything I need to watch out for before I start enlarging the hole? I want to switch over to Schrader valve to keep only one type of tubes in my backpack for all 3 bikes that I take out for a ride.

    Thanks!
  • 05-11-2011
    SkaredShtles
    Do yourself a HUGE favor and buy a few of those little adapters that fit in the rim and convert your Schrader rims to Presta.
  • 05-11-2011
    JimmyNeutron10101
    I want to install some slime into the tube and I know it can be done w/ Presta valve, but requires more work. Maybe I'll just buy the Presta tubes that comes w/ Slime already.
  • 05-11-2011
    Phaceplant
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    How many layers of Gorilla tape?

    I did two layers. Crossmark and Ardent seated fine with floor pump.


    I watched a Y/T video, the guy used one layer.
    So I used one layer.
    How wide did you make it?
    Does the tape come up the inside wall of the rim, like the innertube method does?
  • 05-12-2011
    gvs_nz
    Some tires are tighter than others. Crossmarks are very loose so probably need two layers.
  • 05-12-2011
    Dictatorsaurus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Phaceplant
    I watched a Y/T video, the guy used one layer.
    So I used one layer.
    How wide did you make it?
    Does the tape come up the inside wall of the rim, like the innertube method does?

    Different rims and different tires work well...differently :)

    You can get the 1" wide Gorilla tape and put two layers. Try not to ride up on the side walls too much so you can use a butterknife to sort of wedge the tape in the corner. It's ok if the tape rides on the side wall a little.