Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anyone ran the stock Crossmarks on the X3 tubeless on the S-XC rims? The are good tires in my area, mostly hard pack so I'll probably stick with them until they wear out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Crossmark 2.1 is a good fast light rolling tire but that sidewall is so flimsy. I couldn't make it work on the stock wheels from my Anthem X1, but that doesn't mean someone else can't. Maybe I need to try again. The WTB 2.4 MutanoRaptors I had went tubeless much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by jn35646 View Post
    Anyone ran the stock Crossmarks on the X3 tubeless on the S-XC rims? The are good tires in my area, mostly hard pack so I'll probably stick with them until they wear out.

mtbr member
    I used the ghetto/gorilla tape/Stans with several tires on S-XC rims (29er). Rampage and a couple of high volume WTB's were no problem. Folding crossmark 2.1 had most difficulty - needed good compressor and 2 1/2 cups of Stans because you'll lose a lot of juice until the bead snaps. On my last attempt one crossmark mounted well but lost some air overnite but not flat. Still need to mount the other tire today after work as the first attempt failed and ran out of time.

All the other tires I could do in the house, no valve core removal, no mess and probably could have snapped the bead with floor pump, but not the crossmarks! Do it outside and prepare for a mess. Also watch for juice on rotors as you don't want to get that mess in your pads.

Good luck - it doable but not the best for first attempt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    CrossMark 2.1 on oem Anthem X wheels go tubeless?

Quote Originally Posted by jn35646 View Post

mtbr member
    Had to ditch the CrossMarks after numerous flats. The sidewall is flimsier than tissue paper. Oh well it was a good excuse to go tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    True. I think the 2.1 crossmarks will become dedicated tread for riding the long stretches of pavement to the long stretches of dirt road for those days I'm just putting in junk miles. Light and fast. Great with tubes when 60 psi pavement days are a callin'.

First time the crossmarks came off I was surprised how flimsy/twisty/loose they were.

Quote Originally Posted by ha-evolution View Post
    Had to ditch the CrossMarks after numerous flats. The sidewall is flimsier than tissue paper. Oh well it was a good excuse to go tubeless.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    So - the rimtape was not yellow stans...

Update to tubeless conversion of P-XC wheels

I just got the Stans "flow" rim strips and had just enough time last night to install on the frt wheel and convert to tubeless - tire = Panarace Rampage 2.35 that was previously installed for a couple rides with tube. I did it with a hand pump and referenced the Stans video instructions for help. The key was definitely the soapy water on the bead. Wheel has not lost a lb of pressure since last night.

The flow rim strip is definitely the idiot proof way to go... coulda done cheaper ghetto, but had already ordered em.

Will convert the rear later and than ride... for reference its an Ardent 2.25 - also ridden with tube.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Rear was faster and easier - experience I guess

Went for a good ride after mounting - after letting some air go on the trail - based on "feel" = perfect!

The flow rim strip and stans brew works great, easy and still no air loss a full day + later!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone know what the spoke tension should be at on the P-XC's?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The best quality of the stock wheels is the rim. With their high profile and shorter spokes, they keep lateral flex to a minimum. I'm curious about the rim weight to hub weight too - someone posted rims only as 490g on page 1 of this thread which isn't bad. I'd guess heavy hubs as the weight culprit. I absolutely love my XTC1 as is but wouldn't mind lighter wheels if they retained the same qualities and were a significant weight savings. Great bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Duke of Earl posted in this thread the following....

P-XC2 profile inner bead width is 19mm with a sleeve joint. The rim weights are: 440g (26") and 490g (29") give or take 10g. 24mm tall profile allows for a slightly shorter spoke which helps manage the overall wheel weight PLUS increase the stiffness slightly.

S-XC2 profile inner bead width is also 19mm with a pinned joint. The rim weights are: 460g (26") and 520g (29"), also give or take 10g. A slightly shorter profile is not nearly as radially stiff which does allow for slightly greater vertical compliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxy View Post
    The best quality of the stock wheels is the rim. With their high profile and shorter spokes, they keep lateral flex to a minimum. I'm curious about the rim weight to hub weight too - someone posted rims only as 490g on page 1 of this thread which isn't bad. I'd guess heavy hubs as the weight culprit. I absolutely love my XTC1 as is but wouldn't mind lighter wheels if they retained the same qualities and were a significant weight savings. Great bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Wow 490g for the 29er P-XC2. That's about the same as the stan's arch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by danK View Post
    Duke of Earl posted in this thread the following....

P-XC2 profile inner bead width is 19mm with a sleeve joint. The rim weights are: 440g (26") and 490g (29") give or take 10g. 24mm tall profile allows for a slightly shorter spoke which helps manage the overall wheel weight PLUS increase the stiffness slightly.

S-XC2 profile inner bead width is also 19mm with a pinned joint. The rim weights are: 460g (26") and 520g (29"), also give or take 10g. A slightly shorter profile is not nearly as radially stiff which does allow for slightly greater vertical compliance.
    How it look the first version P-29 rim (XTC models 2010) in comparison with models above? Maybe somebody show the photo P-XC2/S-XC2 without the tire?

Thx

lookin' for a hill
    if anyone would ever like a set of p-xc29's I have some, cheap. 15mm front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nikwashere View Post
    if anyone would ever like a set of p-xc29's i have some, cheap. 15mm front.
    hi..how cheap is cheap ??

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Great thoughts in here. I have a question on the 406892 Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip-Symmetric method. Will this work on the 2010 P-XC. They are not the P-XC2. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Bontrager rim strip

So I just did the bontrager rim strip method to my 2010 p-29's from my xtc2. I have not put Stan's in them yet but currently sitting at 60psi. Beads made pop when engaged. Aired up with hand pump. I will add Stan's tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    cool

well sounds like you guys solved me alot of hassle

im looking to get giant talon bike

i think they have mavic crossmark tyres so at least i know there no good for tubeless

so would have buy a different tyre if want tubeless any suggestions

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    So, the tires held air all night with no Stans at all. I pulled the core from the valves, and put 2oz of Stans, soaped the bead and aired up again with hand pump.POP POP beads seated again, all i can say is the conversion is super simple with the Bontrager stips.
    Now if these dang Specialized Captain Controls would stop leaking. I am almost all sealed but really? 3days of shaking and flipping. only lost 10psi in 3 days, but you can still see the bubbles from a few spots on the sidewall.
    I think I am going to add 2oz more to each wheel, due to the massive amounts of pin holes on the sidewalls in the first couple of shake downs.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i just got my 2012 anthem x 29er 1 last week and i wanna go tubeless.. im from the philippines and im not sure how to go about this as i havnt done tubeless before at all. i also have the Giant P-XC29-2 rims. my tires are Schwalbe Racing Ralph, 29x2.25 EVO Folding TL Ready.

so my question is. what exactly do i need to go tubeless? do i need the stan's tubeless kit? or can i just buy the stan's sealant?

also are the hubs that came with my wheelset ok? ([F] Giant Tracker Sealed/CNC w/ 15mm Axle, [R] Giant Tracker Performance, 32h) <-- according to website. i ask because i have a spare set of hope pro 2s that i want to use to replace the factory hubs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I would go back to the post by mudmav and follow his directions. This was super easy. Took me less than 1hr to do both wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    No-Tubes.com is Stan's web site. It has instruction videos.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    ok thanks i think ill go and try the gorilla tape + stans sealant way because there are no stans tubeless 29er kits available now in my LBS...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I did a pictorial guide of converting my wheels using Bontrager parts, stans sealant and Specialized tires:

converting giant p-xc 2 29er wheels - Page 3

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Anyone tried that Mavic adapter 15mm to 9mm yet?

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast