Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Since they are QR, either 5x135 (Standard QR) or 10 x135 (DT Swiss Through Axle). This would depend on the end caps for the hubs for a XTC 1. I have a 2011 Anthem X 4 that came with the S-XC2 wheelset and they where 5x135.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Good info here, seems some front hobs are convertible from factory with the 15mm end cap just pulling off, so DT caps should fit

But I am looking to use a set of these as a commuter/CX wheelset with CX tyres. Anyone know what the max recommended pressure is for these rims?

mtbr member
    I'm just going to throw it out there that I have a new 2015 650b SXC-2 wheelset for sale ATM

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    ditto if anyone is looking for a set in canada lol

Perpetual n00b
    I got the P-XC2 wheels from my 2014 Trance 27.5 1 converted to tubeless today with the Bontrager Rhythm Symmetric 27.5 rim strips and valve stems. 10 bucks a piece, so about $40. The strips fit very snug and actually set up into the bead of the rim so the tire is clinching on the edge of the strip. 4oz of Stan's in each tire.

I have a WTB Vigilante 2.3 Team on the front and a Maxxis Ikon 2.35 TLR on the rear and both took about 40psi to securely seat the bead. I was a little paranoid about the tires popping off the rim! The last bit of bead to seat makes a VERY loud ping. I don't think they are going anywhere.

That said, I'll probably get home and find Stan's splattered all about the garage...
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

Perpetual n00b
    I put a Purgatory 2.3 GRID on the front tonight. That sucker was tough. Took about 50psi to get it to seat all the way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I would like to just sell the wheels with out the rotors or cassette, but I will sell together.
    320 for everything or 200 for just the wheels shipped inside the US.

I did tape up the wheel set to make them tubeless, then realized the rear wasn't a 10mm axle and wasn't going to work on my bike.. So it is tubeless ready just needs the stems, stans and tires. The front rotor hasn't been installed yet and is still in the box.

New Set of Giant P-XC2 Wheels with 15mm Front Axle Size and Quick Release Rear Skewer - 200$
    New Shimano XT M771 10-Speed 11-36t Cassette
    New Rear Shimano XT RT86S IceTech 160mm 6-Bolt Rotor
    New Front Shimano XT RT86M IceTech 180mm 6-Bolt Rotor

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I am trying the same procedure with the same parts. I just started trying to get the tire to seat, and realized, duh, I am using the Giant S-XC2 not the P-XC2!

Will this method, and the Bontrager rim strips work on the S-XC2? So far, I am having trouble, even with a big old compressor (it's my first tubeless conversion).

One problem I am having, is getting the Bontrager rim strips to center exactly in the wheel, they want to sit on one side or the other - maybe this is the issue?

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmbythebay View Post
    I am trying the same procedure with the same parts. I just started trying to get the tire to seat, and realized, duh, I am using the Giant S-XC2 not the P-XC2!

Will this method, and the Bontrager rim strips work on the S-XC2? So far, I am having trouble, even with a big old compressor (it's my first tubeless conversion).

One problem I am having, is getting the Bontrager rim strips to center exactly in the wheel, they want to sit on one side or the other - maybe this is the issue?
    My wife's bike has the S-XC2 wheelset and the Bonty rim strips worked fine. You have to work the edge of the strip into the bead with the edge of something thin but not sharp. I used a Park Tools tire lever. They've been holding up since October.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks dgw2jr. I'm wondering if the S-xc2 is basically the same in regards to installing the rim strip versus the P-xc2 (which more of this thread seems dedicated to). Same goes for whether there is a difference between the two wheelsets when it comes to tubelless conversion in general....

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmbythebay View Post
    Thanks dgw2jr. I'm wondering if the S-xc2 is basically the same in regards to installing the rim strip versus the P-xc2 (which more of this thread seems dedicated to). Same goes for whether there is a difference between the two wheelsets when it comes to tubelless conversion in general....
    I've set up both wheelsets. The P-XC2 was easier to mount the rim strip into. I still had to work the strip into the bead though, just like with the S-XC2 wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I am looking into buying a set of 2015 P-XCR0 27.5 carbon XC wheelset and does anybody know its actual weight?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    just picked up a Trance 2, how strong are the s-xc 2 27.5?
    i have never had any luck with pinned wheels (most likely because my weight ranges from 230-250)

any Clydes do well with them?

WillWorkForTrail
    Well, the running theory is the 27.5 wheels should be stronger than the 29er wheels. I've got a set of S-XC2 wheels on my Anthem 29er that I've had for coming up on 3 years, and they're holding up for me. I'm probably 235 with a loaded pack on ready to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Bought a second set of P-XC2 wheels for my anthem. Going to convert new tires to tubeless. Does a good tubeless rim strip act as a seat to reduce the chance of the tire burping? Does anybody have a like to the thread or post that will help me set up my wheels tubeless? Thanks

WillWorkForTrail
    The P-XC2 is supposed to be tubeless rated anyhow. My suggestion is try the cheapest, easiest thing first. By some Stans rim tape, and tape them up. Throw tires on there with tubes at about 40PSI for 24 hours to make sure the tape is nice and pressed down on the rims. Then take the tubes out, put the valve stems in, and carry on. For the record: I used this exact method with the stock S-XC2 wheels that came on my Anthem and set them up Tubeless. With my Maxxis Ardents they set up flawlessly, and have never burped.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    The P-XC2 is supposed to be tubeless rated anyhow. My suggestion is try the cheapest, easiest thing first. By some Stans rim tape, and tape them up. Throw tires on there with tubes at about 40PSI for 24 hours to make sure the tape is nice and pressed down on the rims. Then take the tubes out, put the valve stems in, and carry on. For the record: I used this exact method with the stock S-XC2 wheels that came on my Anthem and set them up Tubeless. With my Maxxis Ardents they set up flawlessly, and have never burped.
    Cool, thanks. I'll give it a try.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Which stans products do I need exactly? ...and how many oz of stans will I need per tire? I don't know if the stores knows what I need. There are strips, tape and these things that actually look like tubes. Do I just need stans rim tape? What about the other rim strip tape? The tape I saw at the store was for rims with an outside diameter of 24 mm. I think my P-XC2 rims are 19 mm inner width.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I guess I need to find the right tape for my rim width?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    Which stans products do I need exactly? ...and how many oz of stans will I need per tire? I don't know if the stores knows what I need. There are strips, tape and these things that actually look like tubes. Do I just need stans rim tape? What about the other rim strip tape? The tape I saw at the store was for rims with an outside diameter of 24 mm. I think my P-XC2 rims are 19 mm inner width.
    I used the Stan's 29r XC kit. Worked perfectly. I've even folded the rear tire over landing sideways off a jump and it didn't burp. Anthem SX w/ stock Ardent Race rear tire.

Use the stan's kit tape, and get rid of the stock rim strip.
    '15 Giant Anthem SX - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

WillWorkForTrail
    Just the tape is all I used. To be honest, I think there was only one width of tape when I did it though, so I'm not sure which width you need. But I just used the rim tape, not rim strips. And ...no burps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ok guys, sounds good. Thanks. That'll about do it

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'm a convert to the Bontrager Rythm strips. Just pull them over the rim, install tire, inflate to seat bead. Add a bit of goo for thorn protection and that's it.

mtbr member
    Good luck going tubeless.
    A cairn is a man-made pile (or stack) of stones.
    Cairns are used as trail-markers in many parts of the world.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    So let me see if I have this right (I probably don't)

To go tubeless with the p-xc rims you'll need is rim tape (stans, wtb, ect). You can use a run strip but it's not necessary.

To go tubeless with the s-xc you'll need a rim strip

I'm guessing the rims are not UST, correct?

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by gremlin75 View Post

To go tubeless with the p-xc rims you'll need is rim tape (stans, wtb, ect). You can use a run strip but it's not necessary.

I used the Bontrager strips for both types of rims.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by gremlin75 View Post

I can't say anything about the P-XC rims. I have the S-XC2 rims tubeless with JUST RIM TAPE from stans. For two years, no burps. I've run RaRa's a Tioga Psycho Genius, and Ardents (by far my favorites). There have been tires that were hard to set up on these wheels (the Tioga) but the Ardents have been easy. This is probably a setup that won't work with every tire, but it CAN work, and it was easy with the RaRa too - just that those tires don't hold up under me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Does anyone know if the sxc2 hub is convertable to 142mm?
    I have the 142mm giant axle, hanger and parts needed to run 142, However I don't know if the standard hub is 142 capable??
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    TL;DR: Bought a secondhand set of PXC-2 wheels with tubless setup. Fitted 2.2 Conti Mountain Kings myself, no fuss. Happy.

Bought a PXC2 Wheelset (20km of usage) for $96 USD (converted currency) and Mavic 15mm to QR plugs for $28.

This was to replace my current OEM wheelset of a 2012 Scott Scale Elite. I already replaced the front and rear rims (after two seperate write offs), but after dinging my rear wheel (AGAIN, sigh...) I decided to get a fresh start (not only new rims, fresh hubs and spokes as well). The Giant PXC2 wheelset was the cheapest option - and also on par with my current wheelset in terms of specs.

Luckily the set came with the strips and valves, so it just needed the tyres and sealant. I used my current 2.2 Mountain Kings (from the above mentioned Scott Wheelset) so they didn't require any pre-setting or other preparations.
    -Just fitted the tyres, added some extra sealant (still had plenty left in the tyres anyways)
    -shaked it around,
    -pre-pumped it with a normal floor pump (just to get the sealant to the edges, couldn't actually seat the tyres with my floor pump)
    -then used a CO2 canister to seat 'em (woosh-'n-POP and they're done)

No fuss.

Oh, and I removed the decals too (with the help of a hairdryer). I must say, these wheels actually look pretty good!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Just finished my tubeless setup with PXC2's and Nobby nics on my 2013 Trance X1 29er. Used Stan's 21mm rim tape, Stan's Cross Country 29er rim strips, and Stan's tire sealant. Front tire went well. No discernible leaks. Rear tire already had some holes in it, so I'm just trying to work the sealant into the holes. I didn't have any problems seating the beads. I pulled out the valve cores and used my compressor.

Mulleticious
    Anyone know where you can buy the 29er Bontrager rhythm strips in the UK? I've Googled but without success... seems crazy

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Holding well with minor leakage over a week or so.
    Last edited by Phlegm420; 06-23-2015 at 06:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    Anyone know where you can buy the 29er Bontrager rhythm strips in the UK? I've Googled but without success... seems crazy
    This came up when I searched "bontrager rythm strips uk"

Bontrager Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip | JE James Cycles

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I did the P-XC2 29er tubeless conversion with the bontrager strips, and although it seemed to work initially I ended up going back to tubes before eventually getting a better wheelset. This is why:

1) I could get them to seal up without any trouble and all would be fine. However without warning it could leak air somewhere random with the bike at home in storage, at such a high rate that the tire would lose all its air before I could notice it happening. Sometimes leaving wonderful sealant on the floor. Not good. This could happen any time with a couple of days, or a week between events.

2) When losing air (think, getting a flat on the trail) the tires would not remain seated. So suddenly a simple flat, normally requring a bit of pumping air in and slushing sealant around, could end up as an annoying "get the damn tire to seal up again" event. Could be fixed with a Co2 cartridge of course, but quite annoying.

/Allan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Koei View Post
    Oh, and I removed the decals too (with the help of a hairdryer).
    Can you explain this process in a bit more detail please. I assume you're talking about the decals on the rim.
    Cheers,

Jays

Giant Anthem X Advanced 29er '15 XL
    Giant Anthem X 27.5 1 '15 XL (gifted to son)
    Giant NRS 26er '02 - retired

"El Whatever"
    Anyone knows if the 2015 P-XC2 hubs are convertible from the standard 135X9mm to 142X12mm??

I'm trying to move my posh wheels to my new Anthem and the POS wheels to my old Trance.

Thanks!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I struggled mightily setting up my PXC2 wheelset tubeless. I was eventually victorious, but it took a lot of patience. I used Stan's strips and Roval tubeless valve stems (after the stan's valve stems tore through). Most of the air was leaking around the valve stem but some through spokes as well the bead. I did not feel that the bead seal was very tight and like others, once air was let out, the bead came unseated very easily (which has not been my experience with other tubeless rims). And yes, I was using tubeless tires. I even redid the tape once to make sure it was as tight a seal as I could muster. Lots of pump-and-ride to distribute the Stan's. As usual, it took me reaching my wit's end in order for it all to fall into place.

This is the fourth wheelset I have set up tubeless and by far the most challenging. Once up and running I have had zero problems and I have abused them pretty well. I do find them heavy (though nice and stiff) so they are now a backup set. Put some I9 hubs with ZTR Crest rims on my Anthem and they feel like half the weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hi everyone just wondering what tyre widths you are running with your s-xc wheels front and back. Wanting to know what widths I should go for my 27.5 trance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clencher View Post
    Does anyone know if the sxc2 hub is convertable to 142mm?
    I have the 142mm giant axle, hanger and parts needed to run 142, However I don't know if the standard hub is 142 capable??
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Anyone knows if the 2015 P-XC2 hubs are convertible from the standard 135X9mm to 142X12mm??

I'm trying to move my posh wheels to my new Anthem and the POS wheels to my old Trance.

Thanks!
    mhmmm search function unavailable? Because answer to that including part numbers is in the very same thread you're asking right now lol

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    mhmmm search function unavailable? Because answer to that including part numbers is in the very same thread you're asking right now lol
    I did not find the answer here, but found it here:

142x12 Conversion 2014 Trance

And even then, it was not conclusive. I never understood if the conversion kit was good or not, but that is probably poor reading skills on my side.

At any rate, I'm using the QR wheels on a second bike and used the posh wheels on my current bike. No biggie.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    I have 14 Anthem 27.5 1 with the P-XC2 wheelset. Have been popping nipples and spokes so would like to rebuild with wider and tougher rim (Freq i25) & db14 spokes.

Have about 1500 kms on the bike. Are the hubs worth reusing? Currently spinning fine.

220 lb older rider in Toronto, fairly aggressive and could probably be smoother on my bike.
    Van G - Rider of The Don
    '14 Anthem 27.5 1

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Can anyone tell me what end caps I need to convert the S-XC-2 rear wheel to 12x142mm. Part number or description will do.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CS645 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what end caps I need to convert the S-XC-2 rear wheel to 12x142mm. Part number or description will do.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this isn't possible as the formula hubs that come with the S-XC wheels aren't convertible...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by spruced_moose View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this isn't possible as the formula hubs that come with the S-XC wheels aren't convertible...
    I agree with this. Everywhere I have tried to find out if it is possible suggests that it's not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Clencher View Post
    I agree with this. Everywhere I have tried to find out if it is possible suggests that it's not.
    It's a great excuse to buy new wheels and get some decent hubs with quicker engagement

WillWorkForTrail
    Yep. I've got S-XC2 wheels, and unless they've changed something, there is no way to convert them. Heck, you can't even put xD freehubs on them. That's why I've got a new set of wheels coming - 11 speed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys.

So these Giant wheels are not only narrow, heavy and slow engaging, they also are non-convertible. How pre-historic.

Giant really needs to up their game here.

mtbr member
    How can I tell what hub internals I have on P-XC2 wheels from 14 Anthem 27.5 1?

Van G
    Van G - Rider of The Don
    '14 Anthem 27.5 1

Your Best Friend
    Thanks for the replies guys.

So these Giant wheels are not only narrow, heavy and slow engaging, they also are non-convertible. How pre-historic.

Giant really needs to up their game here.
    They are also cheap wheels. Giant has upped the game, you just need to spend more.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Van G View Post
    How can I tell what hub internals I have on P-XC2 wheels from 14 Anthem 27.5 1?

Van G
    Not sure if this answers your question...

Those wheelsets are supposed to be Formula. If you have threaded ends on your axle, those should be the non-convertible Formula hubs.

If your axle ends are non-threaded, chances are it is a DT Swiss made hub and you can convert the hub.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    They are also cheap wheels. Giant has upped the game, you just need to spend more.
    Half the wheels are non convertible and all are still quite narrow. Only the P-TRX1 comes close but they don't seem to put them on many models.

Your Best Friend
    Because they cost more

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That's only half the truth and you know it. They do put carbon wheels on their bikes and they cost A LOT more. For a giant like Giant the extra cost of a modern width wheelset over a 19mm one is negligible (as is the weight gain).

Guess a XT rear derailleur is an easier sell than a good wheelset you can enjoy for years. Kudo's to companies that invest in good judgement regarding wheels, where other's see it as a way to save a quick buck because they don't want to bother explaining the advantages of a good wheelset to the masses if you can sell a bike with bling bling.

A 24-30mm internal width alloy rim, sensible engagement, convertible hubs and 1800-2000gr. doesn't have to cost the world but not having to upgrading your wheelset right away can be strong argument to buy a bike.

You can get a Hope pro 2 evo based wheelset with Ryde Edge 26mm rims, D-light spokes, brass nipples, very solid wheelset weighing 1850gr. for €480,- and that's not even mass production like for Giant.

"El Whatever"
    Half the wheels are non convertible and all are still quite narrow. Only the P-TRX1 comes close but they don't seem to put them on many models.
    Because their business model is to sell frames... lots of them, to many bicycle brands. Giant follows trends, let others take the risk of introduction.
    Their own line is a side dish.

Also, not all main wheelset makers are jumping straight away on the wide bandwagon... Mavic, Shimano and DT Swiss are still on relatively narrow rims, unless you go to their trail/gravity lines. Granted, they may have a 21mm rim and Giant should use more of those. Wider than that, I am not that sure.

Stans, Sun Ringle, AC, Velocity and others are into it, but I don't know if they have had dealings with Giant before.

Tell me how many OEM bikes come with Hope hubs... Hope probably doesn't have the capacity to supply an OEM client and most probably will not be willing to open a line in Taiwan or license their design to be produced there. At OEM level, they have to be much more expensive than others.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I 'm not suggesting they should use Hope hubs. The point is that if you can get a decent Hope based wheelset for €480,- you can certainly can get a decent massed produced wheelset with decent rebranded hubs for quite a bit less.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    P-XC and particularly S-XC are a low cost wheel set. Any upgrading to them other than going tubeless should involve a new wheel set. No part of them (rims,hubs or spokes) is worth keeping. And Giant would probably agree with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Found out through Giant Canada that my 14 Anthem 27.5 1 wheelset used Formula hubs.

Will think about new wheelset once the rear triangle is warrantied.
    Van G - Rider of The Don
    '14 Anthem 27.5 1

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by salmartinez View Post
    ...would like to know if the front wheel has a compatible 15mm to 9mm plug similar to what Mavic sells for there conversions?
    I put my Mavic 15mm adapters into the SXC2 hub today. It was a tight fit into the fork. I had to pull them apart to get the wheel in the dropouts.

I am wondering if taking the lip off the adapter would allow them to slide in a bit more. Anyone tried that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I tried searching the thread but it came up empty...

I just tried mounting a Spec FastTrak SWorks and couldn't get it to bead even with a compressor. S-XC rims... took off a Kenda Slant Six tubeless which beaded up with a floor pump. On the font rim, I mounted a Spec Ground Control Control series and it worked fine but did need the compressor.

Anyone see problems with the SWorks tires? I'm thinking it's cause the sidewall is so flimsy on the SWorks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Sorry, this might be a repost. What is the maximum width tire I can put on S-XC wheels off a 2012 Giant XTC 29er 2? I really want to slap some 2.3 Maxxis Minion SS tires on them, and Giant is vague about the wheelsets specs.
    Thanks,
    Cavermatthew

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I think the internal width on these wheels are 21mm. so there would not be a problem with 2.3 tires. What you really should be asking is can the tires fit in the frame?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Btw, I got a FastTrak Contol series and it went on without issue... guess I'll stay away from the SWorks series.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Right now my 2.25 Racing Ralph tires fit with plenty of room. If the side knobs are to big I can just cut them down a little.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sorry if this has been covered already but I haven't been able to find it. Does anyone have experience with the 27.5 PXC2 rims and the Bontrager Rhythm rim strips for a tubeless conversion? There's plenty of information about them working well in the 29er rims so assuming the rim profiles are the same and the rim strips are also the same other than the diameter (big assumptions maybe) the 27.5 combo should also work no?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wdphil View Post
    Sorry if this has been covered already but I haven't been able to find it. Does anyone have experience with the 27.5 PXC2 rims and the Bontrager Rhythm rim strips for a tubeless conversion? There's plenty of information about them working well in the 29er rims so assuming the rim profiles are the same and the rim strips are also the same other than the diameter (big assumptions maybe) the 27.5 combo should also work no?
    I had that setup with non-tubeless swabbys. Worked great for $20 mod.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    [QUOTE=baja07;12446229]I had that setup with non

Thanks for that feedback baja07, are you able to provide a little more detail. I assume you removed the original rim tape, then fitted the Bontrager rim strips and used the Bontrager tubeless valve stems then fitted the Shwalbes with a couple of scoops of sealant?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    [QUOTE=4wdphil;12447870]
    Quote Originally Posted by baja07 View Post
    I had that setup with non

Thanks for that feedback baja07, are you able to provide a little more detail. I assume you removed the original rim tape, then fitted the Bontrager rim strips and used the Bontrager tubeless valve stems then fitted the Shwalbes with a couple of scoops of sealant?
    Yup! its pretty straight forward. Remove the the blue rim strip. Slide on the bontrager strip which is very tight. Take your time to get it as centered and seated in the middle of the rim. I never got it completely perfect so don't worry. Install the bontrager valves hand tight. Then add sealant and use a air compressor or co2.

I used the Non-Tubeless Nobby Nic's that came with my bike. They worked But lost air after week. I highly recommend getting a true tubeless tire.

Merendon Junkie
    Anyone have the hub dimensions for giant sport tracker hubs, 15mm front and qr rear. Mainly interested in the flange diameters.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavermatthew View Post
    Sorry, this might be a repost. What is the maximum width tire I can put on S-XC wheels off a 2012 Giant XTC 29er 2? I really want to slap some 2.3 Maxxis Minion SS tires on them, and Giant is vague about the wheelsets specs.
    Thanks,
    Cavermatthew
    I put Bontrager XR4 (front)/XR3 (rear) tires on my S-XC wheels. Both tires are 2.3. Two issues—it's a tight fit (there wasn't enough clearance to put the beefier XR4s on the rear), and more important: I now get tons of burp flats up front. IMHO the wheel is just too narrow to support wider all-mountain type tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Pxc2 29 wheel weight...
    Front: 930g.
    Rear: 1220g.
    Total 2150g (!)
    This is ofc without tires, tubes and such.

Went tubeless on them with schwalbe valves, 2 layers of electrical insulation tape and one layer of tubeless tape. Works ok! Just have to check pressure before I ride.

Got "play" in my freewheel hub so I did a rebuild as described on page 12. 19mm cone spanner, custom body removal socket and 12mm spline socket was needed.

The problem was that the majority of the grease from the socket had escaped through the inne rubber gasket/oring. Rebuilt it with SKF bearing grease and chain oil for freewheel hub "wings".
    Got rid of the play and bad noise but I dont think it freewheels as good as before (with bike upside down and giving the wheel a push). Probably the best solution would be a new freewheel body... But these are my heavy wheels so they are mainly for winter use.

How hard should you torque the axle to the hub?

For how long does your rear wheel spin?

Sorry for the bad english.

Edit:If I loosen it I get more playin the hub again...

Freehub Service | Park Tool maybe I should have removed the washer to get it more tight...?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    So I just did the S-XC2 tubeless conversion. The tire filled up and sealed just fine. However, I did use some soap to test for air bubbles and it's been slightly leaking out. I gotta say guys, it's been a very frustrating process.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by megavega11 View Post
    So I just did the S-XC2 tubeless conversion. The tire filled up and sealed just fine. However, I did use some soap to test for air bubbles and it's been slightly leaking out. I gotta say guys, it's been a very frustrating process.
    Running true tubeless tires? My maxis ardents hold air very well with orange seal sealant. I find the orange seal to seal bead much better than stans. When I remove a tire its almost glued to the rim with the orange seal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I used the Maxxis Ardents. Didn't get any true tubeless tires. And maybe. the soap seems to have stopped leaking out. I'm breaking them out tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Keep shaking, rolling, flipping, etc. It'll stop the bleeding, but it needs sealant contacting the gaps to fill them.
    Anthem Advanced
    ECR

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have the p-xcr 1 wheels on my Anthem X Advanced 29er. Didn't get any valves or strips when I bought it unfortunately, it just has yellow rim tape on the wheels inside. Is there a giant kit that will get me what I need to convert to tubeless? Can I use the stock Maxxis Crossmarks that came on it?
    '15 Niner RLT 9 Steel
    '14 Giant Anthem Advanced X 29er
    '14 Trek Domane 4.7

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by reactiontime89 View Post
    I have the p-xcr 1 wheels on my Anthem X Advanced 29er. Didn't get any valves or strips when I bought it unfortunately, it just has yellow rim tape on the wheels inside. Is there a giant kit that will get me what I need to convert to tubeless? Can I use the stock Maxxis Crossmarks that came on it?
    Sounds like they are already taped to go tubeless. Just buy some Stan's Valves $16. Then Tubeless tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    How do I know the tape is tubeless and not just regular rim tape? I don't need any type of rim strips?
    '15 Niner RLT 9 Steel
    '14 Giant Anthem Advanced X 29er
    '14 Trek Domane 4.7

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Today I replenished the sealant in my bike's tires. For all the trouble I had with its initial tubeless installation, this was the exact opposite -- easy as could be. I used the Stan's kit, Ardent tires, and the Stan's injector. I inflated with my floor pump.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by reactiontime89 View Post
    How do I know the tape is tubeless and not just regular rim tape? I don't need any type of rim strips?
    Usually rim strips for tubes are loose and removable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    Today I replenished the sealant in my bike's tires. For all the trouble I had with its initial tubeless installation, this was the exact opposite -- easy as could be. I used the Stan's kit, Ardent tires, and the Stan's injector. I inflated with my floor pump.
    yup, Super easy once you got the general idea. I will never understand why people have issues.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Anyone has tried a + tire on the S-XC rim? Wonder if it will fit in the fork.

mtbr member

Tubeless and tire questions.

My SXC-2 rims have blue rims tape of some kind (pic). Does this mean they are tubeless ready or do I need to add strips or Gorilla tape? I plan to get Stans cored valves but will forego the kit I think. Also, I love low pressures so am debating what rear tire to buy. I have a HD Evo TS 2.35 on the front but am worried about accelerated wear running them on the back. Good sidewalls are a must because low pressure. Suggestions?The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread-sxc-2.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread-20160511_180808.jpg  

2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by noose View Post
    My SXC-2 rims have blue rims tape of some kind (pic). Does this mean they are tubeless ready or do I need to add strips or Gorilla tape? I plan to get Stans cored valves but will forego the kit I think. Also, I love low pressures so am debating what rear tire to buy. I have a HD Evo TS 2.35 on the front but am worried about accelerated wear running them on the back. Good sidewalls are a must because low pressure. Suggestions?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SXC-2.jpg 
Views:	828 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	1069852
    Mine have the same... I still used yellow tape and they've held great! BTW, I'm using Orange Seal.

mtbr member
    I just bought 1" Gorilla tape then ordered Stans sealant, valves, core tool and an HD Supergravity Trail Star for the rear due to the increased sidewall support needed at the low pressures I run. Most of the bad reports for Schwalbe EVO compounds appear to be in rocky terrain. My terrain is rooty and mostly dry black dirt hard pack so I should be OK. Also, I don't put on big miles. I'm pumped to go tubeless on sticky rubber!
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    P-XC2 27.5 wheelset Front and rear weight. came from 2016 anthem advanced 2.

-30/40grms from the actual weight due to gorilla tape (3 layers) and valve.

FRONT
    Name:  front.jpg
Views: 3254
Size:  55.0 KB

Rear
    The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread-20160426_170136.jpg
    (cups weight doesnt affect the total weight of the rear wheelset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dj0verdose View Post
    P-XC2 27.5 wheelset Front and rear weight. came from 2016 anthem advanced 2.

-30/40grms from the actual weight due to gorilla tape (3 layers) and valve.

FRONT
    Name:  front.jpg
Views: 3254
Size:  55.0 KB

Rear
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160426_170136.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	1070487
    (cups weight doesnt affect the total weight of the rear wheelset.
    Thank you! Looking all over the Net for accurate info!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    your welcome

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've been riding a cannonade bike for a few years now and came with some nice DT-swiss wheels. About a year ago my front bearings seemed to make a lot of noise and rolling resistance increased. Long story short, took a pair of S-XC2 from my buddy for $100, riding tubeless with some Schwalbe tires. These wheels are way underrated. I was going to use them only for a little while until I can invest in some nice wheels. These are definite keepers. Rolls so much better than anything I ever had before. I bought another set for my sons bike for less than $100. I have a chance to pick up some P-XC2s from craigslist right now also for $100, not sure if it has any advantages or not but you can't go wrong with these wheels.

P.S.: If you have trouble seating the tire, I sometimes use a CO2 cartridge to inflate, works every time.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have the part number for the correct Bontrager rim strip to set up a PXC-2 tubeless? The Trek website indicates two available in the 27.5 size. There is one for the Duster wheel/rim, a more trail oriented wheel(probably wider) and one for the Mustang wheel/rim, more XC oriented. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noose View Post
    I just bought 1" Gorilla tape then ordered Stans sealant, valves, core tool and an HD Supergravity Trail Star for the rear due to the increased sidewall support needed at the low pressures I run. Most of the bad reports for Schwalbe EVO compounds appear to be in rocky terrain. My terrain is rooty and mostly dry black dirt hard pack so I should be OK. Also, I don't put on big miles. I'm pumped to go tubeless on sticky rubber!
    Just to update my conversion to tubeless I'm very pleased with my results. The tires beaded easily and hold air great! I find I am running a bit more pressure as traction has improved with tubeless and the new tires. 21 front and 25 rear. No burping or squirming at that pressure riding my root heavy trail hard. Also, the new tires show no sign of wearing on this trail as I was hoping. Going 1x10 tomorrow. Installing a 34t NW chainring and keeping my front small ring on for now in case I power out climbing and want to manually move the chain to it.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

Merendon Junkie
    Would the pxc2 27.5 be considered an "enduro" worthy wheelset? I friend just upgraded from these to an arc 27 laced to I9 torch hubs. He only saved about 160 grams of weight.

spizwhiz
    Apr 2016
    I just got a 2016 Trance 2 and am trying to convert to tubeless. Taped with the yellow Stan's tape and it looks really nice and tight. The rear wheel was a PXC2 and it beaded up very easily with a bontrager team xr3 tubeless compatible tire. For the front I got a nobby nics tubeless easy or whatever they call it, and it is LOOSE. so loose that it is hard to even thread the tire on the rim. I inflated it with a tube over night, after it wouldnt bead the first time, and tonight I tried again to no avail. Tried tying a strap around the tire to force the bead to contact the rim, built a 2L soda pop air tank, used soapy water, nothing seems to even come close to working because of the loose bead.

Anyone else have this issue with nobby nics being super loose? Any other tires (good for front, good for loose gravel on hard) that have worked well on these wheels for you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Not surprising. You need a bontrager rim strip which has a bit of thickness and a profile to it, so that the tire isn´t loose and sits better on the rim.
    Although it "worked" I chose to NOT run my P-XC2 tubeless in the end. At least in my case, if the tire loses pressure then the beads would immediately un-seat and return to the groove in the middle of the rim. Foreseeing much inconvenience and cursing on the trail I chose some light tubes instead... and ultimately upgrading to a wider wheelset.
    /Allan
    Last edited by Bindegal; 09-08-2016 at 10:17 PM. Reason: a
    2016 Giant Glory 2.
    2014 Giant Trance 29er with various modifications.
    2013 Giant XTC 29er Composite.

spizwhiz
    Apr 2016
    I see. For those of you who have had success with the SXC-2 wheels, what tires did you use? It seems like some tires have tighter beads than others. Did you HAVE to use Rim Strips?

Also, has anyone used the Stan's RS0048 Rim Strips vs the Bontrager rim strips? It seems like the Stan's ones are specifically for the SXC-2 and PXC-2, but they are more expensive at 22.50 each.

Also does anyone know which bontrager rim strips are the appropriate ones and whether they work with Stan's valve's (already have them)? Someone asked about the model of bontrager stips earlier on this thread but I didn't see an answer.

Thanks
    Last edited by Spencer Whitman; 09-09-2016 at 01:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Whitman View Post
    I see. For those of you who have had success with the SXC-2 wheels, what tires did you use? It seems like some tires have tighter beads than others. Did you HAVE to use Rim Strips?

Also, has anyone used the Stan's RS0048 Rim Strips vs the Bontrager rim strips? It seems like the Stan's ones are specifically for the SXC-2 and PXC-2, but they are more expensive at 22.50 each.

Also does anyone know which bontrager rim strips are the appropriate ones and whether they work with Stan's valve's (already have them)? Someone asked about the model of bontrager stips earlier on this thread but I didn't see an answer.

Thanks
    I posted a pic on here of the blue rim strip already on my sxc-2. I only put one strip of one inch gorilla tape over those. Shwalbe HD evo 2.35 tires went up fine with my small compressor and they hold air and stay beaded fine with 4oz of Stans and about 25psi in each. My back tire was tighter to get on the rim than the front but the back one is super gravity casing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

spizwhiz
    Apr 2016

Success!

For anyone who ends up having issues like I did, here's a solution:

Take some rigid plastic piping and then put it in the deep center of the rim (I think that is the real root of issues with the S-XC-2 rim). Then tape over it with duct tape (or whatever tape you like). I have a layer of stans underneath, and a few duct tape layers that I put on trying to build up thickness before I figured this trick out. I also drilled holes in the ends of the piping and sucked them together with a zip tie to make the taping job easier.

I'll try to give an update after riding this setup for a while.The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread-img_20160910_104947768_top.jpgThe Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread-img_20160910_104350544.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    That's creative. Yes, the Racing Ralph's I was using were very loose, and kind of a pain to seat. I was able to seat them when I utilized a compressor and the valve removed.

The Maxxis I replaced the Schwalbe's with were the opposite and fit very tightly on the rim, and I had to use the compressor on them, too, but because they were so tight the bead sidewalls were "buckling" making huge gaps.
    Anthem Advanced
    ECR

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I´ve tried to convert a set of S-XC to tubeless lately as well. Using yellow tape and DT Swiss TL valves.

The Magic Mary up front seated well, but the rim would leak lots of air from where it´s pinned/plugged (and from some spoke holes tbh).

The cheap, floppy Nobby Nic Performance out back which came with it wouldn´t even ever seat. Trying the Magic Mary out back caused the same leaking from the pinned/plugged part of the rim.

So for now I had to go back to tubes.

Another S-XC wheelset I own was converted to tubeless by the former owner using a "Actionsports" (German store) tubeless set and works pretty ok.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JohSch View Post
    I´ve tried to convert a set of S-XC to tubeless lately as well. Using yellow tape and DT Swiss TL valves.

The Magic Mary up front seated well, but the rim would leak lots of air from where it´s pinned/plugged (and from some spoke holes tbh).

The cheap, floppy Nobby Nic Performance out back which came with it wouldn´t even ever seat. Trying the Magic Mary out back caused the same leaking from the pinned/plugged part of the rim.

So for now I had to go back to tubes.

Another S-XC wheelset I own was converted to tubeless by the former owner using a "Actionsports" (German store) tubeless set and works pretty ok.
    A Stan's kit is less expensive in the long run. It works with the parts supplied. 7 rolls of different kinds of tape, 4 different kinds of valves, and 3 kinds of sealant starts to add up. And if you count your time at $4 per hour, it's very expensive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    A Stan's kit is less expensive in the long run. It works with the parts supplied. 7 rolls of different kinds of tape, 4 different kinds of valves, and 3 kinds of sealant starts to add up. And if you count your time at $4 per hour, it's very expensive.
    1" Gorilla tape cost me $3 Canadian so like $1 US lol. I cleaned then taped over the blue rim strip already on my S-XC2's. I stretched and did one wrap and overlapped the Gorilla tape over the valve stem hole and one spoke hole on either side of the stem hole. Then I pushed stans valves right through the tape then beaded HD evo's with my small compressor. Then let air out and injected 4oz stans in each valve stem using a large syringe with core removed. Aired them back up and they hold air fine.
    Last edited by noose; 09-19-2016 at 03:32 PM.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have P-XC2 27.5" wheelset on Formula hubs, never removed rim tape, but yesterday removed and saw, that internal rim is completely broken, it has cracks from every spoke hole to another, however main rim is OK, and it seems that I ride with this cracks for a long.

Why it was happened, because I don't weight much and ride very carefully, and haven't ever such issues on much cheaper wheels.

Or this rims strength is very low?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 145