Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 301 to 400 of 531
  1. #301
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    25
    Like you, I have recently bought a 2013 Anthem x 29er 2 last month. The bike comes with the S-XC2 wheels. I like the bike a lot, but wanted to upgrade the wheels for climbing. After doing some research, as well as talking to my local bike mechanics, I have decided to go with Stan's Arch EX rims. I weigh about 165 lbs. I know Crest is lighter, but I wanted a set of wheels that I won't have to worry about.

    BTW, I bought mine here: Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo 29er Arch Ex Wheelset | Wheels MTB | - Cycle Sports UK. I think it's a pretty good deal.

  2. #302
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by balatoe View Post
    I know Crest is lighter, but I wanted a set of wheels that I won't have to worry about.
    Good point.

  3. #303
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by balatoe View Post
    The bike comes with the S-XC2 wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by balatoe View Post
    I have decided to go with Stan's Arch EX rims.
    I would be *very* interested to know the weight of your new Arches with the Hope hubs when you receive them, and to also pair that against the actual weight of your Anthem's stock S-XC2 with the Giant Hubs that were taken off your bike (thus comparing the weight of the actual parts being upgraded).

    Do you think your local bike mechanics would mind weighing them as they swop them out, so that you (and me, lol) know exactly how much weight you are saving?

  4. #304
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    25
    I just ordered the new wheels last Saturday and they are currently being built by the builder. It may take a week or so to be delivered from the UK. I will weigh the new (Arch EX) and the old (Giant S-XC 2) wheels when the new wheels arrive.

  5. #305
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    634
    I just updated mine to a pair of used Roval Control EL 29er. The weights below are wheel, rimstrip (tubless) and stem

    S-XC2 Front 1090 grams
    S-XC2 Back 1295 grams
    S-XC2 total 2385 grams

    Roval Front 880 grams
    Roval Back 920 grams
    Roval total 1800 grams

    for a total savings of 585 grams or 1.3lbs. and I have taken a few rides with them and truthfully the biggest difference I noticed was the OS28 endcaps, the front end is def. stiffer

  6. #306
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sandiego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by jk025 View Post
    What trail is that? I'm in San Diego and am interested in new trails
    Newport area off Newport Coast Dr. A friend of mine lives up there in the hills so I've been meeting up at his house or he comes down to San Diego. We usually alternate every other week.

  7. #307
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    34

    The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

    Weights of 29er hope hoops with flow EX rims. Hubs are the pro 2 evo SP. These replaced a pxc2 29er wheel set. With the flow rim strips I was using in the pxc2 wheel set to run tubeless they were about 200g heavier. The increased width of these rims makes a massive difference to cornering stability as well as eliminated the tyre-roll and/or burping on off-camber landings. I found the combination of skinny 19mm internal pxc2 rims when running tubeless with nobby nics to be really unstable when cornering hard or jumping.


  8. #308
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    634
    yes i agree with the width difference, 19mm on the S-XC2 vs 26mm on the Roval's

  9. #309
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    102
    Does anyone have the weight of the following wheelsets? (that come stock on the 2 of the Trance X models)

    Giant P-TRX1 WheelSystem 27.5
    Giant P-XC2

  10. #310
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    25
    I have just received my new Stan's Arch ES / Hope wheelset. Here are the numbers:

    Wheels only with rims tape on both front and rear wheels (no discs, tubes, tires, and cassette).

    Giant S-XC 2:
    Front - 955 Grams
    Rear - 1220 grams
    Total - 2175 grams

    Stan's Arch ES / Hope:
    Front - 800 Grams
    Rear - 1005 Grams
    Total - 1805 Grams.

    I am planning on converting the new wheels to tubeless. I will post more numbers when I am done with the conversion.

  11. #311
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    358
    I have a set of 27.5. S-xc wheels mounted to a anthem 3 and they do not roll very smooth.
    Is this considered giant's economy wheel set?
    The rear wheel makes a rough bearing noise, I did regrease it, but I can't help but think they are sucking power. When you spin the wheel it comes to a stop like the brakes are slightly dragging.
    Time to save for mavic crossmax!

  12. #312
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantomtracer View Post
    I have a set of 27.5. S-xc wheels mounted to a anthem 3 and they do not roll very smooth.
    Is this considered giant's economy wheel set?
    The rear wheel makes a rough bearing noise, I did regrease it, but I can't help but think they are sucking power. When you spin the wheel it comes to a stop like the brakes are slightly dragging.
    Time to save for mavic crossmax!
    Yes, they are some of Giants cheaper wheels.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  13. #313
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sandiego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantomtracer View Post
    I have a set of 27.5. S-xc wheels mounted to a anthem 3 and they do not roll very smooth.
    Is this considered giant's economy wheel set?
    The rear wheel makes a rough bearing noise, I did regrease it, but I can't help but think they are sucking power. When you spin the wheel it comes to a stop like the brakes are slightly dragging.
    Time to save for mavic crossmax!
    My front was like that, rear was okay... just okay.

    So glad I upgraded to the Eastons. They spin sooo smoothly and seem to spin forever.

  14. #314
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by balatoe View Post
    I have just received my new Stan's Arch ES / Hope wheelset. Here are the numbers...
    Quote Originally Posted by pvdm10 View Post
    Weights of 29er hope hoops with flow EX rims. Hubs are the pro 2 evo SP. These replaced a pxc2 29er wheel set...
    Thanks for the numbers, much appreciated!

  15. #315
    Just Ride.
    Reputation: Joel.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    722
    Interested in the weights of the P-XC 27.5 also. The wheels are stiff but after getting a massive dent on the weekend I think I could go with a stronger wheelset.

  16. #316
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel. View Post
    after getting a massive dent on the weekend I think I could go with a stronger wheelset.
    Pictures, or it did not really happen!

  17. #317
    Just Ride.
    Reputation: Joel.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    722
    Didn't get a pic phone died. It was a really sharp rocky course, and I was running the standard Nobby Nic on the back with lowish pressure. Shifter pulled it out but I was still annoyed about it.

  18. #318
    Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Reputation: GelatiCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,080
    I have a Talon 29er 2...anyone have any luck going tubeless with these rims?

  19. #319
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    34

    The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by balatoe View Post

    Stan's Arch ES / Hope:
    Front - 800 Grams
    Rear - 1005 Grams
    Total - 1805 Grams.
    I can't work out why there would be 175g difference in the front wheel and 89g difference in the rear wheel between flow ex hope hoops and arch ex hope hoops. Hubs and spokes should be the same so there should just be the 85g rim weight difference. What axle configurations did you have in when you weighed them?

  20. #320
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by pvdm10 View Post
    I can't work out why there would be 175g difference in the front wheel and 89g difference in the rear wheel between flow ex hope hoops and arch ex hope hoops. Hubs and spokes should be the same so there should just be the 85g rim weight difference. What axle configurations did you have in when you weighed them?
    I am running 15mm through axle in the front and 9mm quick release in the rear.

  21. #321
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I have a Talon 29er 2...anyone have any luck going tubeless with these rims?
    Which Rims? I had S-XC2 and they where converted tubeless with a complete Stans set.

  22. #322
    Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Reputation: GelatiCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,080

    Re: The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jdgang View Post
    Which Rims? I had S-XC2 and they where converted tubeless with a complete Stans set.
    Whatever the stock rims are. I don't think they're the S or P xc2 wheels.

  23. #323
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11
    Hey All,
    I'm looking to go to a SRAM 1x11 (probably the XX1). Can this wheel take the correct hub? Or should I look for a replacement set? I'm on a new Trance X3 27.5

  24. #324
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    634

    The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

    these hubs cannot be converted to xx1 but I believe the p-xcr (dt Swiss internals) can be


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

  25. #325
    Just Ride.
    Reputation: Joel.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    722
    I'd update the wheelset first before the drivetrain first anyway. It'll make a big difference then you can get XX1 when the current drivetrain wears out.

  26. #326
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by pvdm10 View Post
    I can't work out why there would be 175g difference in the front wheel and 89g difference in the rear wheel between flow ex hope hoops and arch ex hope hoops. Hubs and spokes should be the same so there should just be the 85g rim weight difference. What axle configurations did you have in when you weighed them?
    I think the spokes and nipples are different between the two rim builds. I recall reading that, either on Wiggle or on Hope's web page, etc. I just bought a set of the Hope Hoops with the Flow EX rims. The Flow EX build uses heavier duty Sapim spokes and brass nipples.

  27. #327
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11
    Any suggestions on a 650b wheelset? If its gonna cost over 900, I rather invest in a better bike.

  28. #328
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_m View Post
    Any suggestions on a 650b wheelset? If its gonna cost over 900, I rather invest in a better bike.
    It'd be hard to beat that wheel set that I think was mentioned earlier on in this same thread. The Hope Hoops. It's what I just bought, too. I went with the standard Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs (J-pull) and Stan's Flow EX rims. I bought mine from Cycle Sports UK because I wanted red hubs in my specific combination, and they were the only outfit offering it. Wiggle and CRC sells them as well though. My set, all said and done, was only $404. I spent another $52 and bought a new set of skewers to go with. They don't come with skewers. You can choose from about 8 or 9 different rims, also. I'm pretty sure that Cycle Sports UK is offering 27.5er versions, too. I haven't used mine so far, since I just got em' a few days ago, but I'm certainly happy with what I've seen up to this point. Others on MTBR talked me into it...

  29. #329
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_m View Post
    Any suggestions on a 650b wheelset? If its gonna cost over 900, I rather invest in a better bike.
    Here's what ya get...

    The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread-img_20131021_163541_646.jpg

  30. #330
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    75
    For those asking about weight of the 27.5 wheels

    2014 Giant 27.5 P XC-2 Wheel set off of my Girlfriends Lust Advanced 2:

    Front 830g
    Rear 1092g

    Total 1922g

  31. #331
    Just Ride.
    Reputation: Joel.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    722
    Thankyou Rixsurfer! Should make a big difference with an upgrade.

  32. #332
    Just Ride.
    Reputation: Joel.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    722
    Can anyone confirm what the rear axles are on the Trances? They aren't 12x142 are they?

  33. #333
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,354
    They can be 12x142 IF you have a 2014. Otherwise, standard axle.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  34. #334
    Just Ride.
    Reputation: Joel.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    722
    Yeah I have the new Trance, just looking at upgrading the wheels and I can't find the info anywhere. Thanks

  35. #335
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pablobell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    130
    Not all 2014 Trances are 12x142. Some are standard with frame adapters to size down.

  36. #336
    Just Ride.
    Reputation: Joel.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    722
    Messages Giant and they said it's a standard 135 QR.

  37. #337
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    634
    it seems that only the trance 27.5 come with the 142 x 12 but the Anthem 27.7 come 135x5 but you can change the dropouts to switch it over.

  38. #338
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pablobell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    130
    My 2014 Trance 27.5 1 came with a 135 QR. I believe the advanced models and probably all of the SX's have 142 X 12 as standard.

  39. #339
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel. View Post
    Messages Giant and they said it's a standard 135 QR.
    the standart is 9x135 or 10x135
    i like to change 2011 trance x4 the oem rear axle but i don't no 9 or 10 to get?

  40. #340
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    358
    S-xc 2, size 27.5
    WEIGHT

    Front 902 grams
    Rear 1200 grams
    Weight includes hub, spokes, nipples, rim and rim strip.
    Just thought others would like to know.

  41. #341
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6
    went tubeless on 29er S-XC2's today. Used Stan's "flow" kit and Maxxis Ardent tires. I removed the factory green rim tape, didn't drill the valve hole, installed 2 layers of the yellow tape and the rim strips included in the kit, added 2 scoops of the sealant, put a nylon strap around the tire with hand pressure and aired them up with compressor. Shook them, bounced them then laid them on their sides for about 5 minutes each side. Rode it about a mile and so far they are holding air. Thanks for all the info in here.

  42. #342
    Just Ride.
    Reputation: Joel.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    722
    Dented the rear wheel again. I have not hit anything, light rider and not aggressive. I also discovered thousands of stress fractures the whole way around the front and rear wheels. Not very happy with this wheelset (P-XC 27.5). I have messaged Giant asking for them to be replaced with the P-TRX wheelset.







  43. #343
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    34

    The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by shane772 View Post
    went tubeless on 29er S-XC2's today. Used Stan's "flow" kit and Maxxis Ardent tires. I removed the factory green rim tape, didn't drill the valve hole, installed 2 layers of the yellow tape and the rim strips included in the kit, added 2 scoops of the sealant, put a nylon strap around the tire with hand pressure and aired them up with compressor. Shook them, bounced them then laid them on their sides for about 5 minutes each side. Rode it about a mile and so far they are holding air. Thanks for all the info in here.
    You should be fine without the flow rim strips, just with the yellow tape and some valve stems. That way you save 70g per wheel, located right on the outer diameter of the wheel where it affects acceleration most. The only issue may be if there is a large gap when you go to inflate, between your tyre bead and your rim. However, if you take the valve core out and inflate with a compressor or maybe a floor pump, just to seat the bead, you should be fine.

  44. #344
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    34

    The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel. View Post
    Dented the rear wheel again. I have not hit anything, light rider and not aggressive. I also discovered thousands of stress fractures the whole way around the front and rear wheels. Not very happy with this wheelset (P-XC 27.5). I have messaged Giant asking for them to be replaced with the P-TRX wheelset.
    Looks like you need to increase your tyre pressure. If you are not aggressive and not heavy and still doing that you need more pressure. I should say however, that I also found that with the pressure I wanted to run to maximize grip, I was getting pinch flats all the time and denting the pxc2 29er wheels. That's why I went to wider flow rims, makes the world of difference. Those stress fractures look pretty suspect though. May just be the clear coat on the surface. My 29er pxc2s definitely don't have any marks like that though.
    Last edited by pvdm10; 11-09-2013 at 12:55 PM.

  45. #345
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,484
    Hey guys. I have been reading through this forum and haven't been able to find anyones post on bare wheel weight for the 26" pxc-2 wheels. I have seen a couple of posts but they did not specify if they are 29er or 26

    with the 26 pxc2 are the wheel weights around 900g for front and 1200 rear?

    Im guessing going with a stans flow or arch would shed a solid pound or more. What have you guys been switching out too? Im not really looking for XC. Im bigger and like to ride rough but wouldn't mind shedding a pound or more of rotational weight.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

  46. #346
    Just Ride.
    Reputation: Joel.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by pvdm10 View Post
    Looks like you need to increase your tyre pressure. If you are not aggressive and not heavy and still doing that you need more pressure. I should say however, that I also found that with the pressure I wanted to run to maximize grip, I was getting pinch flats all the time and denting the pxc2 29er wheels. That's why I went to wider flow rims, makes the world of difference. Those stress fractures look pretty suspect though. May just be the clear coat on the surface. My 29er pxc2s definitely don't have any marks like that though.
    The first time I dented it I came to the conclusion that I was running to little pressure. I sacrificed grip and pumped them up to 35psi and it still dented. I use to run my old Mavic 817 26 inch wheels at 20-30psi depending on condition and have never gotten a dent or any fracture in 5 years.
    I was planning on getting some Flow EX wheelsets, but after working out the funding I can't afford them at the moment. I think I may need to fast track them.

  47. #347
    Just Ride.
    Reputation: Joel.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    722
    Took them in today. See what happens, hopefully a quick turnaround.

  48. #348
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    22
    hi,the wheel is S-XC2 i need to change the front stock hub with Hope Pro2 EVO Front Hub,please anyone can tell me do i need to change the spokes to or can i go with them?
    thnx

  49. #349
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    132

    The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jari777 View Post
    hi,the wheel is S-XC2 i need to change the front stock hub with Hope Pro2 EVO Front Hub,please anyone can tell me do i need to change the spokes to or can i go with them?
    thnx
    Don't waste your time with the rim and spokes. Get a whole new wheelset. It may be cheaper also


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

  50. #350
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDontSurf View Post
    Don't waste your time with the rim and spokes. Get a whole new wheelset. It may be cheaper also


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
    in my country the cheapest wheelset are 400 euro and hard to find second hand ,to order from UK or Germany the shipping is to expensive
    the hope hub i will find for 50euro

  51. #351
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel. View Post
    I also discovered thousands of stress fractures the whole way around the front and rear wheels. Not very happy with this wheelset (P-XC 27.5). I have messaged Giant asking for them to be replaced with the P-TRX wheelset.

    The rims on my wifes brand new Tempt 27.5 have exactly the same crazing patter you show. I assumed it was just in the finish and minor as my LBS seems pretty quality, but maybe I should be concerned?

  52. #352
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,606
    Quote Originally Posted by jari777 View Post
    in my country the cheapest wheelset are 400 euro and hard to find second hand ,to order from UK or Germany the shipping is to expensive
    the hope hub i will find for 50euro
    Sometimes Chainreaction has free shipping specials, not sure to your country though...

  53. #353
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    Sometimes Chainreaction has free shipping specials, not sure to your country though...
    i will waiting for some good offer there,i have time till march will come something for me, i hope thnx

  54. #354
    Just Ride.
    Reputation: Joel.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    The rims on my wifes brand new Tempt 27.5 have exactly the same crazing patter you show. I assumed it was just in the finish and minor as my LBS seems pretty quality, but maybe I should be concerned?
    Not sure, I am awaiting to hear from Giant. It probably is just in the anodizing.

  55. #355
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel. View Post
    Not sure, I am awaiting to hear from Giant. It probably is just in the anodizing.
    The DT Swiss 465d rims that came on my 2013 Reign look exactly the same... and have since they were new. I concluded it's the finish.

  56. #356
    Just Ride.
    Reputation: Joel.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    722
    Giant sent me the TRX wheelset. Amazing difference, completely different bike, handles so much better, so much quieter and so smooth.
    If you have the P-XC2 wheelset upgrade, you will not regret it.

  57. #357
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    726
    So did they warranty the wheelset or did you buy a new one?

  58. #358
    Just Ride.
    Reputation: Joel.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    722
    The warranted them. Apparently they weren't going to then they decided to send another set. They sent a tubeless kit aswell. Thanks Giant

  59. #359
    mtbr member
    Reputation: erickbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    18
    Has anyone converted the S-XC2 to a 142x12?

    I'm replacing my cheez ALEX wheels (Syncros set that came on my Scott 930 Genius) with a set I picked up off Craigslist.

    Also just found out I can't use my Shimano rotors, gonna order some new ones unless there's some sneaky way I can use them on the set that someone may know of.

    (I know road components much better than mtb. Replacing my taco'd wheel has been quite the adventure in learning about all the different sizes/components.)

  60. #360
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    48
    Giant may have changed something with the hubs, but the SXC-2's on my new Anthem 27.5 3 were set for 142x12 when I picked the bike up from the shop.

  61. #361
    mtbr member
    Reputation: erickbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by D0rk View Post
    Giant may have changed something with the hubs, but the SXC-2's on my new Anthem 27.5 3 were set for 142x12 when I picked the bike up from the shop.
    Hmm, there may be hope for me converting them then. Might have to ask my LBS then.

  62. #362
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5
    Actual numbers for a P-TRX 29er 1 wheel set:
    1794g
    21/27mm wide (inner/outer)
    20mm deep

  63. #363
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6
    (first post, woop woop!)

    Hi everyone!

    I'm looking for some advice on what to get as an upgrade over my P-XC2...

    I've got the 2013 Trance X1 (26) and after about 800 km I've managed to bend the rear rim... It's the P-XC2 rim (tubeless converted) with "Giant Tracker Performance 32h" (?) and DT Swiss Competition (14/15g) spokes ... as per the spec page.

    My question is: What would be a good upgrade? [edit: I'm looking at upgrading the wheel-set (not just the rim)]
    I ride a fair bit of DH and would probably need something more "bombproof" / durable rather than "feather light".

    Cheers!
    Last edited by Pierre_s; 02-17-2014 at 11:47 AM.

  64. #364
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10
    Hi Pierre_s (and welcome!)

    In my opinion, look no further than Stan's Arch Ex. I am *really* happy with mine.

  65. #365
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Putt4Dough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    58
    +1 ^^ Same here but I use mine for XC. I have no DH experience with the Arch EX.
    If you want a high VO2 max, choose your parents carefully.

  66. #366
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,725

    Re: The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by _-^^^-_ View Post
    Nice video, very smooth rider, the slow mo really shows his use of those long legs to extend and absorb the landing, not as easy as it looks though, precise timing/position is key.
    Stans Flows or Azonic Outlaws

    Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

  67. #367
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    Stans Flows or Azonic Outlaws

    Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Agreed, Stan's flow is probably one of the best options if you mainly do DH, for example when weight is not really an option. Stan's won't be manufacturing Flows if Arch could stand up to constant DH punishment.

    If Pierre_s mostly do Enduro, or XC races that include a fair bit trail (like Putt4Dough and I do) and only DH every now and then (Pierre_s said "a fair bit of DH") then you might care a little about weight in which case Arch EX is a very good option for what you ride most of the time: A very strong rim with only a small weight penalty.

    Either way, Flow or Arch, you will most probably notice improved tubeless performance and traction (even if you refit the same tyres) than you had with P-XC.

  68. #368
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6

    Good job!

    Thanks all for your help and advice!
    Looks like I'll be getting the Arch EX rim from Wiggle.

  69. #369
    mtbr member
    Reputation: absoluteczech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Hey guys. I have been reading through this forum and haven't been able to find anyones post on bare wheel weight for the 26" pxc-2 wheels. I have seen a couple of posts but they did not specify if they are 29er or 26

    with the 26 pxc2 are the wheel weights around 900g for front and 1200 rear?

    Im guessing going with a stans flow or arch would shed a solid pound or more. What have you guys been switching out too? Im not really looking for XC. Im bigger and like to ride rough but wouldn't mind shedding a pound or more of rotational weight.
    hi i have the same question. i have 2012 trance x2 with p-xc2 wheels. What is the weight of the 26" versions? Also would be the logical upgrade? I would like something a tiny bit thicker thats stronger but possibly the same weight if not slightly less? Is that possible? I'm not looking for carbon super expensive wheels.

  70. #370
    mtbr member
    Reputation: absoluteczech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    421
    bump. does anyone know if its possible to convert a 2012 trance to 12x142?

  71. #371
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,354
    It's not. It's also not needed, unless you already own the wheel set.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  72. #372
    mtbr platinum member
    Reputation: bikerx40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420
    Anyone else have major issues getting tires to seat evenly on PXC-2 rims? I've mounted hundreds of tires over the years and never had issues like this on any other rim. I've tried the multiple tires both tube and tubeless and the bead won't pop up into the "seat" around the entire edge on both sides.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

  73. #373
    mtbr member
    Reputation: absoluteczech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    421
    Yea with certain tires like nobby nics. Soapy water or car quick Detailer helps sometime. Try also pumping it up to almost max psi it might pop in

  74. #374
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ha-evolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    136
    This stuff works amazingly well - had to use it on a particularly challenging tire mount. Nothing else worked including soap and water.

    Schwalbe Easy Fit

  75. #375
    mtbr platinum member
    Reputation: bikerx40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420
    Thanks ha-evolution and absoluteczech. I just ordered some of that Schwalbe Easy fit to see if that helps get the bead to seat up. I tried the soapy water and airing it up, but nothing seems to work. It's driving me crazy riding wobbly tires.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

  76. #376
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    26
    hey, i started to do the gorrilla tape tubeless conversion on these wheelsand got the tape in all right, but i couldnt get the tire to seat in the rim. anyone have any luck with using the kenda's that come with these rims to go tubeless?

  77. #377
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    958
    Does anyone know if the 27.5 inch S-XC2 is tubeless ready or how well it will work as tubeless with the Stan's conversion kit?

  78. #378
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    115
    Does anyone know what the width of the P-XC2 rim is?

  79. #379
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Reputation: PHeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,673
    Are the bearings for the 2013 Formula "Tracker" hubs sealed cartridge types?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

  80. #380
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    184

    Re: The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    Does anyone know if the 27.5 inch S-XC2 is tubeless ready or how well it will work as tubeless with the Stan's conversion kit?
    They are tubeless ready and I believe they come with the stans strips but no valves. I've got a new take-off set coming on Monday 12x142 with 15mm in front. I'll be selling them right away cause I bought a different set. I'll be selling them for $180 + shipping.

    Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

  81. #381
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    184

    Re: The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Innota View Post
    Does anyone know what the width of the P-XC2 rim is?
    I believe they're 24mm external width.

    Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

  82. #382
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    115
    I actually discovered that the rims say ETRTO 633x19. So 19mm inside then.

  83. #383
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    184

    Re: The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Innota View Post
    I actually discovered that the rims say ETRTO 633x19. So 19mm inside then.
    Yes, that's the internal width. They may actually be 26mm external width. The P-TXR series wheels have 21mm internal and 28mm external widths.

    Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

  84. #384
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    34
    Has anyone tried installing better bearings on these hubs??? Such as enduro bearings?? Will they make a difference???

  85. #385
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    45

    Re: The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

    Changing out wheels today and notice a broke spoke on the rear wheel. I can only imagine how long I've been riding like this since the spoke broke by the hub. The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1398886438900.jpg

  86. #386
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    958
    I'm in the process of going tubeless on my Talon 27.5 with S-XC2 rims and Rapid Rob tires. I have completed the front and it seems to be holding pressure. There are a few things I learned and thought Id pass on.

    I'm using Stan's with the "flow" rim strips. I had to add an extra layer of Velox rim tape. In seating the rim strip, I had to stretch it very little as it is already nearly the right length for my 27.5 rim. I had to use special care to make sure the rim strip seated all the way.

    I used an air compressor and removed the valve core from the presta valve.

    The biggest issue I had was sealing the tire in the area of the valve. I had to pull on the valve while putting air into it to get it to allow the tire bead to seat properly. When I do the rear tire, will probably not put an extra layer of Velox at the valve.

    I am pleased to report that the Rapid Rob seemed to be pretty airtight on its own. It took very little to get the whole thing to seal and hold pressure. However, I will know more tomorrow when I check the pressure.

  87. #387
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    34

    The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Are the bearings for the 2013 Formula "Tracker" hubs sealed cartridge types?
    Yes, there are two sealed wheel bearings in the front and rear hubs. The bearings in the freehub however consist of two rows of loose bearings.

  88. #388
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    726
    Just did Gorilla Tape Tubeless using Stans on my stock P-XC 29er with Nobby Nics that came on it. Used a roll of 1" tape doubled up around the rim. Inflated pretty easy using a compressor (the first one popped on first try anyway, back tire took me a good 20 minutes). Holding air for 24 hours now and several spins around the block. Will air down and try an easy trail later in the week, but I tried to roll the bead off while it was aired up and it seems to be pretty well locked in, we'll see though.

  89. #389
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    726
    Tried the same thing on my wifes Tempt 5 and while I think the rim will be fine, the cheap kenda on there would not seat. I gave up after an hour.

  90. #390
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    122
    I just spent a week trying to get my new p-cx2 wheels to work tubeless. I tried gorilla tape and various forms of valve and it always leaked at the valve. The crotch of the rim is too deep and nothing would get the valve to seat in the rim without leaking profusely. When I tried using a Stan's valve it kept leaking. I tightened it until it pulled all of the way through the rim.

    Finally I succumbed to the split tube method and it worked great and is relatively easy. For my 29" wheels I used 24" tubes. I put the tubes on the rim, centered them and used scissors to split the tube all of the way around. Then I used five or six pieces of gorilla tape to tape the outer parts of the tube to the rim so that I could more easily get the tire in the middle of the splayed open tube. A compressor seated the tire within seconds with no effort on my part. There were no leaks anywhere. This would work without sealant but later I added Stan's.
    At first I resisted using this method because I didn't want the weight of the tube but the 24x1 1/8 tube is much lighter than the big thick mt biking tire and afterwords a lot of it is cut away.
    I hope this saves someone some time and grief.

  91. #391
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by dugt View Post
    I just spent a week trying to get my new p-cx2 wheels to work tubeless. I tried gorilla tape and various forms of valve and it always leaked at the valve. The crotch of the rim is too deep and nothing would get the valve to seat in the rim without leaking profusely. When I tried using a Stan's valve it kept leaking. I tightened it until it pulled all of the way through the rim.

    Finally I succumbed to the split tube method and it worked great and is relatively easy. For my 29" wheels I used 24" tubes. I put the tubes on the rim, centered them and used scissors to split the tube all of the way around. Then I used five or six pieces of gorilla tape to tape the outer parts of the tube to the rim so that I could more easily get the tire in the middle of the splayed open tube. A compressor seated the tire within seconds with no effort on my part. There were no leaks anywhere. This would work without sealant but later I added Stan's.
    At first I resisted using this method because I didn't want the weight of the tube but the 24x1 1/8 tube is much lighter than the big thick mt biking tire and afterwords a lot of it is cut away.
    I hope this saves someone some time and grief.
    Bontrager rhythm rim strips are well worth the $15 or so to convert over to tubless.

  92. #392
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    958
    The front was easy, as I reported above. The rear did not want to seat. I finally got it seated and filled, but there seems to be a slow leak somewhere. It will just take some time to find.

  93. #393
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack0207 View Post
    Bontrager rhythm rim strips are well worth the $15 or so to convert over to tubless.
    I found in another forum that the Bontrager parts work real well in P-xc2 rims.
    Here are the part numbers:
    406892 Black 29er Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip-Symmetric
    250324 Tubeless Rim Valve

  94. #394
    carbon classic
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by dugt View Post
    I found in another forum that the Bontrager parts work real well in P-xc2 rims.
    Here are the part numbers:
    406892 Black 29er Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip-Symmetric
    250324 Tubeless Rim Valve
    This will help

    converting giant p-xc 2 29er wheels - Page 3

  95. #395
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    919
    Are the bearings of the hubs on the 27.5 P-XC2 wheels sealed?
    Or are they cup and cone bearings?

  96. #396
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    80
    I will second or third the Bontrager rhythm rim strips. That is what I use in my P-XC wheels with Stan's valve.

  97. #397
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7
    Hi everyone. Just got myself a second hand Giant XTC1 29er 2014 model and it comes with the P-XC2 wheels. I've read in this thread that their weight is around the 2000gr mark. However the posts related to those details are from 2011. Can someone tell me if Giant have improved on that weight on the 2014 models or does it still remain the same?
    I just wanted to know to see if it's worth my while getting lighter ones, depending on how much weight I will be shaving off.
    Thanks
    Mike

  98. #398
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    132

    The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

    Mine were 2150g from a 2012 xtc. I don't believe they have changed. Get rid of them and go tubeless. Single best mod you could do to the bike based on weight saved, performance and cost.
    For value can't go past a set of stans crest / arch ex and you'll save between approx 400-600g of rotating mass

  99. #399
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    122
    A lot of people, including me, really like the carbon wheels from Light Bicycle in China. There is a long thread about them here: (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

  100. #400
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDontSurf View Post
    Mine were 2150g from a 2012 xtc. I don't believe they have changed. Get rid of them and go tubeless. Single best mod you could do to the bike based on weight saved, performance and cost.
    For value can't go past a set of stans crest / arch ex and you'll save between approx 400-600g of rotating mass
    Thanks. Not sure if they have changed from 2012 to 2014. I've found a pair of ZTR Crest with Novatec hubs weighing 1500g for a reasonable price I think I'll go for those.

    Do you know if the XTC 1 rear axle is 135 x 9 or 135 x 10?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 174

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •