Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Any stock giant wheels that say dt350 this upgrade will work

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Update:

I have the P-XC2 wheels that came stock on the 2011 XTC 29er 1. Last weekend I converted them from ghetto rim strip tubeless to Gorilla Tape Tubeless. The Geax Saguaros (2.2") needed a strap around the circumference to force the beads close enough to the rim to allow a floor pump to set them, but other than that I really like the setup. I was able to use the valve stems from my ghetto tubeless rim strips for the Gorilla Tape conversion so I didn't need to butcher any more tubes.

Pros:
    1. 1" wide Gorilla tape (readily available) seems to fit perfectly in the rim
    2. Tires inflate with a "Pop....Pop" just like a Stan's rim (audible ping at 30 psi)
    3. Will be easier to throw in a tube in the case of severe tire damage (no messy rim strip to remove, just the valve stem)
    4. Worked by taking the valve stem from my ghetto tubeless setup (no new tubes were destroyed in the conversion)
    5. No ever-so-slight tale-tale sign of rubber that shows a ghetto tubeless installation

Cons:
    1. Had to apply a strap around the tire and tighten several times before I could inflate with a floor pump
    2. More Stan's Sealant is spilled during inflation than using the ghetto rim strip method

Method:
    1. Remove tire and ghetto rim strip
    2. Clean inside of rim to remove dirt and residue
    3. Apply 1" wide Gorilla Tape to the rim with a 4" overlap centered at the valve stem, pulling very tightly to stretch the tape as it is applied to help it conform to the inner rim profile
    4. Install a tire with a full-sized tube and inflate to ~40 psi and leave for 2 hours to press the tape into the rim completely
    5. Deflate tire and remove tube
    6. Add two full scoops of Stan's sealant and completely install the tire beads into the rim
    7. Carefully set the wheel on a bucket with the wheel in a horizontal orientation and apply a strap (preferably nylon with a ratcheting buckle) to force the tire beads into the rim
    8. Spray the sidewalls liberally with soapy water on both side of the tire
    9. Pump 10 times like a mad man, if the tire doesn't hold air tighten the strap and manipulate the tire beads farther to the side of the rim's interior. If the tire does hold air, remove the strap
    10. Inflate the tire until you hear the tire beads seat on the rim or you reach 35 psig, whichever comes first
    11. Hold the wheel vertically and shake the sealant into all the spots that are blowing soap bubbles between the rim and tire interface
    12. Set the wheel aside for 6 hours to see if it holds pressure

Please note that this won't work with all tires, like the Maxxis Aspen for example. I had to use the ghetto rim strip method to get that combo to hold air due to leakages at the rim and tire interface.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Can anyone tell me how to remove the chain guard bracket on a giant bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Properly, with a chain whip and cassette tool. Other way is to tear it out with a pair of plyers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jn35646 View Post
    Properly, with a chain whip and cassette tool. Other way is to tear it out with a pair of plyers.
    We've managed to get the drive side off, but the other side there is no place to use the chain whip tool, just spoken to a bike repair shop and they told me to use the bearing tool and a long bar, he said sometimes he actualy has to stand on it to move it.....seems a bit excessive to me but i'll try it i guess
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cohern View Post
    We've managed to get the drive side off, but the other side there is no place to use the chain whip tool, just spoken to a bike repair shop and they told me to use the bearing tool and a long bar, he said sometimes he actualy has to stand on it to move it.....seems a bit excessive to me but i'll try it i guess
    You guys are talking about two different things.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    oppps my bad :/

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    we managed to remove it and it did require a 3ft pri-bar and a lot of force......new one bottom bracket fitted and all back working nicely

mtbr member
    WTF is a chain guard bracket and why are you asking that question in a wheel set thread?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Lol. I assumed he\she meant the "dork disc"

mtbr member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cohern
    WTF is a chain guard bracket and why are you asking that question in a wheel set thread?

No need to be ugly, simply reorient the person. Stuff happens.

Vegan on the S-Works

bolt cutters.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone able to tell me what are S-XC29-2 wheels builf of?
    Anthem X 29er 2 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

website doesn't tell much, and some more info would be great - are the hubs,rims spokes made by Giant or maybe manufactured by extrenal suppliers?

Cormac
    my friend got ripped 3 tires within 2 days using a pxc wheelset on his giant xtc when the wheelset was tubeless. id reccomend against using this wheelset for tubeless conversions.
    '11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by cormy View Post
    my friend got ripped 3 tires within 2 days using a pxc wheelset on his giant xtc when the wheelset was tubeless. id reccomend against using this wheelset for tubeless conversions.
    How did the tires get "ripped"?

Was it sidewall tears? If so, factors that would cause that would be tire casing strength, riding conditions and rider skills. Not the wheel set.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cormy View Post
    I'd recommend you get some idea !!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Crap, I just realized my freehub on my pxc2 is a deore hub.
    Anyone use k nevegal kev bead as tubeless with the pxc2?
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have a set of the S-XC2's on my XTC and I'm thinking of going tubeless. I've searched everything here and it seems it would be better to upgrade to Stans wheels instead. I have the Racing Ralph evo's 2.25 on them right now.

Once I add the rim strips and lose my tubes exactly how much weight loss are we really talking about? It seems minimal unless I'm missing something?

I went to the Stans site and it seems like the wheels there aren't much lighter than what I already have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Just tape the wheels with stans tape and buy some tubeless tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Crap, I just realized my freehub on my pxc2 is a deore hub.
    Anyone use k nevegal kev bead as tubeless with the pxc2?
    I have a 2011 Trance X2 with P-XC2 wheelset and yes the the rear hub is a deore which I agree is not great.

I set up ghetto tubeless on the Giant wheels with 2.35 Nevegal kev bead up front and 2.1 Nevegal on the rear. This is the 4th set of wheels this spring that I have done ghetto tubeless. 2 sets on DT Swiss rims (small block 8's 2.35 front 2.1 rear, ardents 2.4 exo front, 2.25 rear) 1 set on Stan' arch rim (Crossmarks 2.1 f and r ) and then the P-XC2 with the nevegals. Except for the EXO sidewall on the Ardent 2.4 all the others are single ply XC tires. All of the sets have been done with 1 or 2 wraps of gorilla tape, stems cut from old tubes. 2 of the sets have Stans sealant, the other 2 have home brew with this recipe

1 part moulding latex
    2 part automotive slime
    2 part RV antifreeze (not automotive)

this recipe is the base recipe in another huge forum thread and is constantly evolving.

The only set to give me trouble was the Giant wheelset. The center channel on the rim is the deepest of the bunch and was harder to tape. The nevegals slipped on way to easy and were difficult to air up even with a compressor. The center channel again I think is the issue and I had to massage the hell out of the tire as I pumped air into it. All the other wheels aired up right away, no leaks. Once aired up the front Nevegal continued to leak very very slowly and needed a little air every few days. But I never had any burps or any other issues out of any of the wheels...till the last ride on the giant wheels. I had the front fail completely on a very hard impact.

When I got home I took the tire off, cleaned it up and tried it on a DT Swiss wheel...much harder to get on and off. I had a spare DT rim and I put it on top of the Giant front wheel and the DT rim is slightly bigger. I don't think that alone caused the failure. I was also running the front at 20 lbs and it was a larger thin walled tire. I think it was a combination of all those things that caused it to fail. If it had been a different rim, a higher pressure or perhaps a different tire (stronger sidewall or smaller size) then maybe it would have been okay. A 2.35 Nevegal at 20lbs on a sloppy fitting rim was a wreck waiting to happen.

Regardless I won't run the P-XC2 as a tubeless again. Not worth the hassle or the risk in comparison to the other wheelsets I have been using. The DT Swiss and Stans rims have both been excellent. The Ardent Exo tire has been the best. Stiffer sidewall without a big weight penalty and more stability in the 2.4 when compared to the Nevegal 2.35. The Ardent as well rolls surprisingly well for a big tire...way better than the Nevegal 2.35 it replaced...but thats another topic.
    Last edited by Snipe; 06-12-2012 at 07:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have the pxc2 and wrapped it twice with gorilla tape and used cut out valves and stans. Kenda nevegal 2.1 front and rear.

Rode everyday last week with no problems except for Sunday. I hit some metal and tore the sidewall on my front tire. Until then the wheels were holding air just fine. Oh yea, it took the first try to air up both tires. One did lose air overnight, but I double checked the bead and had to adjust. Since my front nevegal is destroyed I put a maxxis ardent 2.25 on today. I'll ride it tomorrow and see how it goes. I hate the ardent tread pattern.

Ps I run both tires around 35 psi. I weight 220 so low pressure makes me nervous.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I put an ardent 2.4 exo on the front and compared to the 2.35 nevegal it seemed to roll much easier. I put the 2.25 ardent on the back and I wish I had bought the exo version of that. I like the look of the nevegal tread pattern better but the ardent has been fine and all around a better tire. If you are 220 then maybe a bit more volume in the tire may be better than more pressure. Depends on the sort of trails and riding that you do. I like the bigger volume, lower pressure front in technical rocky stuff.

After several months of running latex inside my nevegals I certainly did not notice any of the delamination issues that have been mentioned.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Sxc 9mm qr to 15qr?

I just got a bike with S-XC wheels with 9mm qr hub. I want to upgrade the fork, and am wondering if it is possible to convert the hubs to 15qr ta? Or do I need to replace the front wheel? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just an update. I've been running the pxc2 Tubeless for about a month now with no problems.

2 wraps of 1" gorilla tape
    Cut-out valve stems
    A final 6" length strip to cover the valve
    Store bought stans

I do the finger squeeze before every ride and the air pressure seems fine

I do however fill them back up to around 40psi every weekend. They barely drop in pressure though mainly from the occasional burp/hard hits.

I keep pressure high because I weigh 220 and just get sketched by low psi.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by kikoraa; 06-24-2012 at 09:15 PM.

mtbr member
    i have a talon2 29er and the Giant website says it has XC29 rims are these any different with the SX-C and PXC type rims tubeless conversion-wise?

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    bosbik,

To my knowledge all Talons come with S-XC rims.

mtbr member
    hmm...the S-XC rims have "S-XC" written on them right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    great info for tubeless, will be converting my SXC2 wheels soon.

How will the sxc2 hubs hold up to a "clyde" im 245lbs will not be doing any serious trail work yet but by october i plan to be pretty serious.

thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I definitely feel like both wheelsets are a great combo of budget,strong, and light. Not extreme in either direction. I have no problem riding these out (the pxc2) until they need replacing. I'm 220 plus a few more for gear and have put a lot of miles on them this summer without having to true. I have the deore hubs which I'm sure the sxc have the same but rebranded. Its one of those situations where I want something fancy and hope mine break so I can replace them like the brand whore that I am, but I know they are totally legit and will last a long ass time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    awesome good to hear, my plan was ride to broken LOL

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    They seem bomb proof so far. Tubeless ready FTW

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    My P-xc2 off AX1 are 913/ 1045 total at 1958g. Air up possibly even tighter than crests with a plenty of popping noises. I run with just stans yellow tape and sealant OK[ I always run a couple of psi higher without rim strips though]
    I like them especially the quiet DT350 hub on the rear compared to my hope hubs.Look like DT competition 2.0mm/ 1.8mm spokes. Really don't need to upgrade something like a flow wheelset as these are sensible weight and stiffness.
    This is good info. My Arch wheels have an actual scale weight of 1128R/888F, so the Giants could potentially weigh less. Just hope it's not going to be a PIA to air them up tubeless with the now stock Nobby Nics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Are the DT350 hubs rebranded? About to get a Trance X1 29er (P-XC2 wheels) in and curious as to which hubs they have. I'm hoping for the DT350 so I can upgrade the star ratchet.

davidcarson48
    Different hub shell. The internals are DT 350 though. Unless that changed for 2013.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48 View Post
    Different hub shell. The internals are DT 350 though.
    What is the easiest way to determine which you have? Something that quickly gives it away from the shape of the hub in comparison to the actual DT350?

davidcarson48
    I have a 2013 Anthem X Advanced 29er 1 and the hub shells actually say Giant AND DT Swiss on them.

Your LBS should be able to tell quickly by opening up the free hub. You'll see the star ratchet if it's DT internals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have a 2013 Anthem X Advanced 29er 1 and the hub shells actually say Giant AND DT Swiss on them.

Your LBS should be able to tell quickly by opening up the free hub. You'll see the star ratchet if it's DT internals.
    The Anthem X Advanced 29er 1 is deliverd with an Giant P-XCR-1 wheelset. This one indeed has the Star Ratchets. Not shure if the P-XC2 also have these! So before u buy the Star Ratchet upgrade, please check if you have these internals!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HkNeef View Post
    The Anthem X Advanced 29er 1 is deliverd with an Giant P-XCR-1 wheelset. This one indeed has the Star Ratchets. Not shure if the P-XC2 also have these! So before u buy the Star Ratchet upgrade, please check if you have these internals!
    Yeah, I'll just open it up if that's what it takes. Was just curious if there was an easy way to determine if it was rebranded. If it says DT Swiss on it though like the other comment, I guess that would be an easy way to tell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    anyone know if the pxc2 or sxc2 can be converted to take a 20mm front axle?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

davidcarson48
    I don't believe so. If I'm wrong, that would be good news.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    ok, newb question so take it easy on me.. Can i do a direct swap from the s-xc wheels to a p-xc wheel on my 2012 xtc 29er 2 ?
    what kind of retro fitting would be involved? I too would like to go tubeless but if im going to do it i would like a little better wheel first. I was looking at the arch-ex wheels already but if the p-xc wheels are about the same weight i can pick those up much cheaper. so thats why i ask.. I went through this whole thread but im still fuzzy on if i can do this. thanks in advance for the help i really appreciate it.

davidcarson48
    There is no issue swapping the S to the P, but don't spend the money. It's not worth it as they are close enough in weight. I would say invest in a true TLR wheelset if that's the route you want to go. The S-XC will convert to tubeless just as easily as the P-XC.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    yeah, I was looking a take off set for 100$ which also included the tires.. otherwise i think your right.. not much of a difference.
    There is no issue swapping the S to the P, but don't spend the money. It's not worth it as they are close enough in weight. I would say invest in a true TLR wheelset if that's the route you want to go. The S-XC will convert to tubeless just as easily as the P-XC.

davidcarson48
    Meh...if the tires are TLR and something that hook up well in your area, maybe. Otherwise use that money to grab a solid TLR wheelset. Arch and Flow wheelsets with XT or X9 hubs can be had for $350 on ebay and probably at your LBS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'll ask my lbs about a set of crests.They already told me they would NOT convert my s-xc2 rims to tubeless because they were not intended to do so.
    the rims are 600$ on stans site.. I would be shocked if my lbs could get them for 350$
    actually i would be shocked to get them on ebay for $350 as well lol you sure your not hitting the pipe? (i kid of course)

Meh...if the tires are TLR and something that hook up well in your area, maybe. Otherwise use that money to grab a solid TLR wheelset. Arch and Flow wheelsets with XT or X9 hubs can be had for $350 on ebay and probably at your LBS.
    Last edited by Bigfoots; 12-03-2012 at 05:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If u r getting Stan's get the arch ex rims. I have both crest and arch ex and the crest wheels require minor truing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Here is the hub on my P-XC2 rear wheel that came with my Trance X1 29er. From the outside it doesn't look much like the dt350. I might take it apart here soon unless anyone else has experience with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread-img_20121203_183716.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoots View Post
    I'll ask my lbs about a set of crests.They already told me they would NOT convert my s-xc2 rims to tubeless because they were not intended to do so.
    the rims are 600$ on stans site.. I would be shocked if my lbs could get them for 350$
    actually i would be shocked to get them on ebay for $350 as well lol you sure your not hitting the pipe? (i kid of course)
    I've been running a set of S-XCs from 2011 for about 1.5 years now tubeless with 0 issues. I call BS on them not converting the rims unless they've changed since.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    @ ridefast84
    I'm 5'6" on a good day and a buck 50 at my heaviest...

@fontarin

I agree, but i do understand where they are coming from. they had poor luck with it in the past and the last thing they want to deal with is some customer coming in everyday because the wheels are losing air..ofcourse they didnt say that but thats what im thinking.. perhaps Giant has an official stance with the shops that sell their bikes? i dont know but I can easily do it myself anyway.. i just figured if they would do it for free when the bike was being assembled ..why not..
    if i can get a set of stans with an xt hub for $350 ill do it.. is there a good hub thats not noisy like the hope hub?

davidcarson48
    XT or X9 hubs should be under $400 for sure. The ZTR hubs on Stan's site are lighter and more expensive.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast