Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 506
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    271
    Anyone ran the stock Crossmarks on the X3 tubeless on the S-XC rims? The are good tires in my area, mostly hard pack so I'll probably stick with them until they wear out.

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,985
    The Crossmark 2.1 is a good fast light rolling tire but that sidewall is so flimsy. I couldn't make it work on the stock wheels from my Anthem X1, but that doesn't mean someone else can't. Maybe I need to try again. The WTB 2.4 MutanoRaptors I had went tubeless much easier.

    Quote Originally Posted by jn35646 View Post
    Anyone ran the stock Crossmarks on the X3 tubeless on the S-XC rims? The are good tires in my area, mostly hard pack so I'll probably stick with them until they wear out.

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BacDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    610
    I used the ghetto/gorilla tape/Stans with several tires on S-XC rims (29er). Rampage and a couple of high volume WTB's were no problem. Folding crossmark 2.1 had most difficulty - needed good compressor and 2 1/2 cups of Stans because you'll lose a lot of juice until the bead snaps. On my last attempt one crossmark mounted well but lost some air overnite but not flat. Still need to mount the other tire today after work as the first attempt failed and ran out of time.

    All the other tires I could do in the house, no valve core removal, no mess and probably could have snapped the bead with floor pump, but not the crossmarks! Do it outside and prepare for a mess. Also watch for juice on rotors as you don't want to get that mess in your pads.

    Good luck - it doable but not the best for first attempt.

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,985
    CrossMark 2.1 on oem Anthem X wheels go tubeless?

    Quote Originally Posted by jn35646 View Post
    Anyone ran the stock Crossmarks on the X3 tubeless on the S-XC rims? The are good tires in my area, mostly hard pack so I'll probably stick with them until they wear out.

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ha-evolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    135
    Had to ditch the CrossMarks after numerous flats. The sidewall is flimsier than tissue paper. Oh well it was a good excuse to go tubeless.

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,985
    True. I think the 2.1 crossmarks will become dedicated tread for riding the long stretches of pavement to the long stretches of dirt road for those days I'm just putting in junk miles. Light and fast. Great with tubes when 60 psi pavement days are a callin'.

    First time the crossmarks came off I was surprised how flimsy/twisty/loose they were.

    Quote Originally Posted by ha-evolution View Post
    Had to ditch the CrossMarks after numerous flats. The sidewall is flimsier than tissue paper. Oh well it was a good excuse to go tubeless.

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    830
    So - the rimtape was not yellow stans...

    Update to tubeless conversion of P-XC wheels

    I just got the Stans "flow" rim strips and had just enough time last night to install on the frt wheel and convert to tubeless - tire = Panarace Rampage 2.35 that was previously installed for a couple rides with tube. I did it with a hand pump and referenced the Stans video instructions for help. The key was definitely the soapy water on the bead. Wheel has not lost a lb of pressure since last night.

    The flow rim strip is definitely the idiot proof way to go... coulda done cheaper ghetto, but had already ordered em.

    Will convert the rear later and than ride... for reference its an Ardent 2.25 - also ridden with tube.

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    830
    Rear was faster and easier - experience I guess

    Went for a good ride after mounting - after letting some air go on the trail - based on "feel" = perfect!

    The flow rim strip and stans brew works great, easy and still no air loss a full day + later!

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2
    Anyone know what the spoke tension should be at on the P-XC's?

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    122
    The best quality of the stock wheels is the rim. With their high profile and shorter spokes, they keep lateral flex to a minimum. I'm curious about the rim weight to hub weight too - someone posted rims only as 490g on page 1 of this thread which isn't bad. I'd guess heavy hubs as the weight culprit. I absolutely love my XTC1 as is but wouldn't mind lighter wheels if they retained the same qualities and were a significant weight savings. Great bike.

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,985
    Duke of Earl posted in this thread the following....

    P-XC2 profile inner bead width is 19mm with a sleeve joint. The rim weights are: 440g (26") and 490g (29") give or take 10g. 24mm tall profile allows for a slightly shorter spoke which helps manage the overall wheel weight PLUS increase the stiffness slightly.

    S-XC2 profile inner bead width is also 19mm with a pinned joint. The rim weights are: 460g (26") and 520g (29"), also give or take 10g. A slightly shorter profile is not nearly as radially stiff which does allow for slightly greater vertical compliance.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxy View Post
    The best quality of the stock wheels is the rim. With their high profile and shorter spokes, they keep lateral flex to a minimum. I'm curious about the rim weight to hub weight too - someone posted rims only as 490g on page 1 of this thread which isn't bad. I'd guess heavy hubs as the weight culprit. I absolutely love my XTC1 as is but wouldn't mind lighter wheels if they retained the same qualities and were a significant weight savings. Great bike.

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    107
    Wow 490g for the 29er P-XC2. That's about the same as the stan's arch.

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by danK View Post
    Duke of Earl posted in this thread the following....

    P-XC2 profile inner bead width is 19mm with a sleeve joint. The rim weights are: 440g (26") and 490g (29") give or take 10g. 24mm tall profile allows for a slightly shorter spoke which helps manage the overall wheel weight PLUS increase the stiffness slightly.

    S-XC2 profile inner bead width is also 19mm with a pinned joint. The rim weights are: 460g (26") and 520g (29"), also give or take 10g. A slightly shorter profile is not nearly as radially stiff which does allow for slightly greater vertical compliance.
    How it look the first version P-29 rim (XTC models 2010) in comparison with models above? Maybe somebody show the photo P-XC2/S-XC2 without the tire?

    Thx

  14. #114
    lookin' for a hill
    Reputation: nikwashere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    372
    if anyone would ever like a set of p-xc29's I have some, cheap. 15mm front.

  15. #115
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by nikwashere View Post
    if anyone would ever like a set of p-xc29's i have some, cheap. 15mm front.
    hi..how cheap is cheap ??

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9
    Great thoughts in here. I have a question on the 406892 Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip-Symmetric method. Will this work on the 2010 P-XC. They are not the P-XC2. Thanks in advance.

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9

    Bontrager rim strip

    So I just did the bontrager rim strip method to my 2010 p-29's from my xtc2. I have not put Stan's in them yet but currently sitting at 60psi. Beads made pop when engaged. Aired up with hand pump. I will add Stan's tomorrow.

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    190
    cool

    well sounds like you guys solved me alot of hassle

    im looking to get giant talon bike

    i think they have mavic crossmark tyres so at least i know there no good for tubeless

    so would have buy a different tyre if want tubeless any suggestions

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9
    So, the tires held air all night with no Stans at all. I pulled the core from the valves, and put 2oz of Stans, soaped the bead and aired up again with hand pump.POP POP beads seated again, all i can say is the conversion is super simple with the Bontrager stips.
    Now if these dang Specialized Captain Controls would stop leaking. I am almost all sealed but really? 3days of shaking and flipping. only lost 10psi in 3 days, but you can still see the bubbles from a few spots on the sidewall.
    I think I am going to add 2oz more to each wheel, due to the massive amounts of pin holes on the sidewalls in the first couple of shake downs.

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    43
    i just got my 2012 anthem x 29er 1 last week and i wanna go tubeless.. im from the philippines and im not sure how to go about this as i havnt done tubeless before at all. i also have the Giant P-XC29-2 rims. my tires are Schwalbe Racing Ralph, 29x2.25 EVO Folding TL Ready.

    so my question is. what exactly do i need to go tubeless? do i need the stan's tubeless kit? or can i just buy the stan's sealant?

    also are the hubs that came with my wheelset ok? ([F] Giant Tracker Sealed/CNC w/ 15mm Axle, [R] Giant Tracker Performance, 32h) <-- according to website. i ask because i have a spare set of hope pro 2s that i want to use to replace the factory hubs.

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9
    I would go back to the post by mudmav and follow his directions. This was super easy. Took me less than 1hr to do both wheels.

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    45
    No-Tubes.com is Stan's web site. It has instruction videos.

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    43
    ok thanks i think ill go and try the gorilla tape + stans sealant way because there are no stans tubeless 29er kits available now in my LBS...

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    120
    I did a pictorial guide of converting my wheels using Bontrager parts, stans sealant and Specialized tires:

    converting giant p-xc 2 29er wheels - Page 3

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    53
    Anyone tried that Mavic adapter 15mm to 9mm yet?

  26. #126
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1
    @iBrown, My other bike has one. so simple to install and it works great!

  27. #127
    Baby Bear is in the house
    Reputation: r1Gel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,032
    Quote Originally Posted by scyule View Post
    P-XC 2.....weight.

    Front wheel with rim strip ( without 15mm thru axle).953 grams
    15mm thru axle 71 grams
    Rear wheel with rim strip 1215 grams
    Rear quick release 63 grams


    Of course these weight are WITHOUT tires/cassette/brake disc/
    Also worth noting, the stock ASPEN tires are nice and light but are mounted with 180 gram tubes.
    Is that for 26" or 29"?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

  28. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by scyule View Post
    P-XC 2.....weight.

    Front wheel with rim strip ( without 15mm thru axle).953 grams
    15mm thru axle 71 grams
    Rear wheel with rim strip 1215 grams
    Rear quick release 63 grams


    Of course these weight are WITHOUT tires/cassette/brake disc/
    Also worth noting, the stock ASPEN tires are nice and light but are mounted with 180 gram tubes.
    Sorry about the below newbie question...


    I just bought a Giant P-XC2 wheelset, the front wheel doesn't have a "15mm thru axle"



    How do I go about getting one?


    I see this 15mm QR unit:



    I recently bought a DT Swiss wheelset, & the front wheel had a similar design, it came with a "slide thru unit", which could take a standard quick release. Is there something similar for the above Giant P-XC2 ?

    Did the P-XC2 come off of a high-end Giant bike, & it REQUIRES a 15mm type of QR system?
    Last edited by chimpanzee00; 02-08-2012 at 08:55 AM.

  29. #129
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by chimpanzee00 View Post
    Sorry about the below newbie question...


    I just bought a Giant P-XC2 wheelset, the front wheel doesn't have a "15mm thru axle"



    How do I go about getting one?


    I see this 15mm QR unit:



    I recently bought a DT Swiss wheelset, & the front wheel had a similar design, it came with a "slide thru unit", which could take a standard quick release. Is there something similar for the above Giant P-XC2 ?

    Did the P-XC2 come off of a high-end Giant bike, & it REQUIRES a 15mm type of QR system?
    The hub you show requires a thru axle. Looks like a 15mm. The fork comes with the axle, not the wheel. Fox and Rock Shox have different axles. You can't use one on the other fork.

    The picture of the axle you have looks weird. Not sure what that is

    Not sure what you are talking about on the DT wheels. A 15mm axle is similar to a standard quick release in that it slides through the hub, it's just fatter and it threads into the other end of the fork. It need to be removed everytime you rremove the wheel. A standard 5mm quick release can stay in the hub.

    search google or ebay for a 15mm axle, but remember your fork needs to be compatible.

  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation: okc_mtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by streetrocket View Post
    i just got my 2012 anthem x 29er 1 last week and i wanna go tubeless.. im from the philippines and im not sure how to go about this as i havnt done tubeless before at all. i also have the Giant P-XC29-2 rims. my tires are Schwalbe Racing Ralph, 29x2.25 EVO Folding TL Ready.

    so my question is. what exactly do i need to go tubeless? do i need the stan's tubeless kit? or can i just buy the stan's sealant?

    also are the hubs that came with my wheelset ok? ([F] Giant Tracker Sealed/CNC w/ 15mm Axle, [R] Giant Tracker Performance, 32h) <-- according to website. i ask because i have a spare set of hope pro 2s that i want to use to replace the factory hubs.
    Kabayan! I have the same sets of wheel on my bike and they are tubeless using the Bontrager's tubeless kit. I did not have any trouble on it even during races, just make sure to put stan's every 2-3 mos.

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    61
    weights on the S-XC2 wheel set form my 2011 Trance X3

    Front: 860 gm
    Rear: 1160 gm

    this is bare wheels - no rotors, strips, etc.

  32. #132
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    109
    My LBS can convert my AX1 29er wheels to tubless for $40 an end using a Specialized Tubeless Kit and Stans liquid. The tires are Schwalbe Racing Ralph, 29x2.25 EVO Folding TL Ready. Is this a worthwhile upgrade? Are the non-UST tire sidewalls too flimsy to run tubeless?

  33. #133
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BacDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    610
    I converted my anthem x 29 wheel set and Racing Ralph's to tubeless using a couple bucks worth of Gorilla tape, some old presta valves and a couple of scoops of Stan's .

    Not very difficult to do and even taking your time you can do both wheels in less than the time it takes you to take your bike to the shop and go back to pick it up.

    $20 in Stans and gorilla tape plus a couple of presta valves from old tubes and you have enough stuff to do a couple of wheel sets. With the Racing Ralph's you don't even need a compressor. They do weep like a baby though.

  34. #134
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    I converted my anthem x 29 wheel set and Racing Ralph's to tubeless using a couple bucks worth of Gorilla tape, some old presta valves and a couple of scoops of Stan's .

    Not very difficult to do and even taking your time you can do both wheels in less than the time it takes you to take your bike to the shop and go back to pick it up.

    $20 in Stans and gorilla tape plus a couple of presta valves from old tubes and you have enough stuff to do a couple of wheel sets. With the Racing Ralph's you don't even need a compressor. They do weep like a baby though.
    Thanks for the response. Has it made any weight difference (weight of inner tube vs weight of Stan's I guess)? Did you notice any difference in how the tire behaves on the trail? Has the tire ever fallen off whilst riding? Thx

  35. #135
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BacDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcd View Post
    Thanks for the response. Has it made any weight difference (weight of inner tube vs weight of Stan's I guess)? Did you notice any difference in how the tire behaves on the trail? Has the tire ever fallen off whilst riding? Thx
    Didn't notice a weight diff but the ability to run lower pressure improved ride quality. I'm 185lbs w/o gear and tubeless allows me to run mid 20s without issue. I've converted S-XC and P-XC and never had burp or squirm with Ralph's or Rampages. The Ralph's are noticeably lighter and roll faster but weep a lot and need to recharge more frequently(EVO)

    Rampages have held air for 6 months without recharge. I've run pressures low enought to bottom out and bead still held. I try to spin and ride with finesse but end up picking wrong lines and end up grinding thru sections that stress wheels, which is why I love my Anthem 29. I've flat spotted an S-XC rim and the P-XC is a lot stiffer and lighter.

    Go tubeless - its not difficult and will improve your ride!

  36. #136
    Redbird1998
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10

    S-xc tubeless set-up

    I set up my S-XC wheels on my Anthem X29 2 last week. I used the flow rim strips that the Stan's website recommended and a couple of scoops of the Stan's sealant. The rear wheel is holding well. It drops from the 28 lbs. that I ride to about 20 lbs. but never lower. I have always had to add air before each ride on all my tubeless set ups. I don't know if that is normal? May be due to the lighter, thinner tires I use. I am having trouble with the front wheel holding air. I have to add air during my ride and that's a pain in the a!!. I just added more sealent and also noticed that when pumping up the tire I never here the "pop" of the bead on the Racing Ralph's. Is this normal? The bead seems to be set. I never had as much trouble with my Specialized SS tubeless set-up.

  37. #137
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BacDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    610
    Every tire is different but in my experience the Ralph's EVO seem to have the most issues, weeping and holding air. They are light and fast though. Just add more Stans and that will help.

    My Rampages have held air and no weeping of sealant. Would like to try Ralph snake skin to see the diff. Too bad they are so expensive!

  38. #138
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    46
    Converted 2 x p-xc rims to tubless using the bontrager rhythm strips and Stan's. Easy as hell to do and not any weeping at all. Front is a 2.35 Hans dampf and rear is 2.25 RR.

  39. #139
    Redbird1998
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10
    Tires are holding air nicely since I put more sealant in them. It seems like it takes about a week before they are entirely sealed. I'm actually running 25 psi and I'm having no problems, fingers crossed!

  40. #140
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    337
    Has anyone upgraded the rear hub star ratchet engagement from the 18 to the 36 points of engagement?

  41. #141
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,317
    Found this after starting a thread. Sorry about that.

    I have the s-xc on my trance x4 and am.looking to upgrade the fork with thru axel fork.

    Buddy of mine has the p-xc2 taken off /unused for $150

    Are the pxc2s much better than the s for the price? Not a big weight weenie but I know wheelsets will shed the most weight.
    Last edited by kikoraa; 03-11-2012 at 09:14 AM.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

  42. #142
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    38

    ... and if we just ... Is rear hub still rebranded DT Swiss 350 for 2012?

    Is the rear hub still rebranded DT Swiss 350 on P-XC29-2???

  43. #143
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crclawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    886
    For those asking about the Mavic 15mm to 9 mm adapter its very simple on the S-XC2. Its basically just plug and play. You can get it from price point.

    Mavic QR Plug- Fits 15mm Front Axle at Price Point


    Also, I used gorrilla tape and a Geax TNT 29 tire and it sealed pretty good without even adding sealeant. I'll add some sealeant, give it a good ride and report back on how it holds. I suspect that it will hold air and seal as good as anything.

    Here's the adapter:



    Just slip it in and you're ready to rock.


    When the **** did we get ice cream?

  44. #144
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    337
    I ran gorilla tape on mavic 717 for about 2 years with geax tnt tires without a hitch! I had to cut my own valves fron old tubes cuz the stans valves kept poping through.

  45. #145
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,317
    Are these wheelsets holding up to some aggressive riding/racing?
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

  46. #146
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BacDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Are these wheelsets holding up to some aggressive riding/racing?
    The S-XC not so much, the P-XC is lighter and stiffer. I flat spotted an S-XC, but running tubeless allows ridiculous low pressure an that has a lot to do with that.

    I'm pretty impressed with the P-XC as a stock wheel set.

  47. #147
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,317
    That's good to hear. I want to swap 9mmqr to a thru axle and a friend has the Pxc2 set for cheap. I just wanted to make sure its not a complete Crap wheelset. This thread seems to like it. I currently have the sxc2 on my trance x. I don't want to spend a terrible amount of money and don't care about weight just longevity.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

  48. #148
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    400

    Mine held up well...

    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Are these wheelsets holding up to some aggressive riding/racing?
    I did a season of racing and put in about 50 hours of general Southeastern riding over roots and rocks and the wheels haven't needed to be touched. (I have the P-XC wheelset that is stock on the XTC 29er 1.)

  49. #149
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by ridefast84 View Post
    Has anyone upgraded the rear hub star ratchet engagement from the 18 to the 36 points of engagement?
    I just upgraded my star ratchets on my giant dt350 hub and wow what a difference!!! You guys gotta do it points of engagement went from 18 to 36 and really helped on technical clymbing!

  50. #150
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by ridefast84 View Post
    I just upgraded my star ratchets on my giant dt350 hub and wow what a difference!!! You guys gotta do it points of engagement went from 18 to 36 and really helped on technical clymbing!
    What year are your wheels from? Are they 2012?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •