Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    do you guys take out the green tape that came in the wheels first?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seewhatididther
    do you guys take out the green tape that came in the wheels first?
    You mean the rim tape. Yes. Take it out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    has anyone been successful with ghetto tubeless on SXC2's? i couldnt tell which of the posts above were PXC vs SXC... Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    SOME INFO AND UPDATES THAT I POSTED ON ROTORBURN WHICH MIGHT HELP

For anyone that is interested i have converted by pxc2 rims from my 2011 xtc 29er1 to tubeless tonight using the parts listed below from bontrager (including part numbers),

406892 Black 29er Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip-Symmetric
    250324 Tubeless Rim Valve

1. Basically the procedure was really easy strip down my stock wheels and remove the rim tape.

2. Fit the rim strip starting at the valve hole. put the valve in before you start to fit it but don't tighten it up yet.

3. Carefully work the rim strip into the centre of the rim channel and then go around both beads to make sure it is pushed right down into the bead.

4. Tighten up tubeless valve core

5. Fit tires, obviously with a scoop or two of stans, work the bead into place using nothing but your bare hands so you don't damage the rim strip with tire levers or the like.

6. I then pumped my new tubeless pxc2 rims and tires up with my track pump (no compressor required), so far they are holding air perfectly.

A couple of things to note.

Rim strip fits absolutely perfectly like it was made for the rims.

Tire beads snap into bead with a load twang (inspires confidence)

I used maxxis no ust tires and they sealed up easily following the stans shake and rotate method.

thats all guys ill give an update in a week after a few rides.

any questions dont hesitate to pm me

UPDATE 1

they held at 60 psi overnight with no stans leaking out anywhere so it looks like this was a success ill let them down to high 20's low 30's and take them for a ride tomorrow.

For the record tires are

Maxxis ardent 29*2.4 front exo sidewall
    Maxxis ardent 29*2.25 lust rear

i rode these tires with tubes for a few weeks before going tubeless and they were awwesome

UPDATE 2

Just a quick update over 200km in the last 2 weeks on the ardents tubless with the bontrager strips as low as 22psi on the front 2.4 and 26 psi on the rear 2.25, no burping no flats no problems at all, just tons and tons of grip. If your thinking about going tubless stop thinking and start doing it. No negatives that i can think of

UPDATE 3

I have done about 400kms on this setup on a mixture of wet single track (muddy), hard packed groomed trails and loamy single track, plus some rough rail trail and also some commuting on sealed pavement.

comments

Traction and lots of it
    No problems running pressures down to 22psi so far
    no burping
    no loss of pressure
    noticable difference in rolling resistance since ditching the tubes ( i was using heavy bontrager 2.3-2.5 tubes)
    Lighter wheelset by about 250 grams.

All in all an awesome conversion that i would highly recommend

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alefak
    has anyone been successful with ghetto tubeless on SXC2's? i couldnt tell which of the posts above were PXC vs SXC... Thanks!
    Yup it works and seals better than anything else. I used normal 24x1.95 Presta q-tubes with removeable valve cores for putting in more stans. They work great.

I took the stock rim tape out and replaced it with two rev's of nylon strapping tape.

Wino
    What about older P29 rims? Do they fall into the same category or are they completely different rims?
    Me. The chosen one. They chose me. And I didn't even graduate from fu**ing high school.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Help!
    My PXC rims have a green rim strip. Do I remove that, clean it up and What Stan's kit/tape should I buy. I gotta try tubeless!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I set up my S-XC2's and non--UST Ignitors with one layer of Stan's tape and Stan's valves. Works fine. The P-XC2's are eyeletted (can't remember if that was mentioned) and the rim profile is better for tubeless (wider bead surfaces).

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Mills View Post
    Help!
    My PXC rims have a green rim strip. Do I remove that, clean it up and What Stan's kit/tape should I buy. I gotta try tubeless!!!!
    Get rid of the green strip you wont need it. I spoke to Stans a couple weeks ago, and they still didnt have a kit for our wheels. I was successful using the innertube ghetto method, and so far, so good. I bought the ingredients, and made up a bunch. Works just like they say. Use the recepie listed here:
    Best Tubeless Brew?
    Bike is lighter better traction, all good... so far.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have the s-xc2 wheel set on my xtc 29er. I was wondering if it is possible to change the front hub from 15mm axle to a 9mm with just changing the end caps? thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    I set up my S-XC2's and non--UST Ignitors with one layer of Stan's tape and Stan's valves. Works fine. The P-XC2's are eyeletted (can't remember if that was mentioned) and the rim profile is better for tubeless (wider bead surfaces).
    Did you use the 21mm or 25mm tape? Also what valve?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hillsprinter View Post
    I have the s-xc2 wheel set on my xtc 29er. I was wondering if it is possible to change the front hub from 15mm axle to a 9mm with just changing the end caps? thanks!!
    Mavic do some 15mm adapters with a very slim profile which just slip into the 15mm bore of the hub. I think Price point sell them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mudmav View Post

...snip

All in all an awesome conversion that i would highly recommend
    I followed mudmav's instructions and took some pictures at the same time.. I was a complete noob to tubeless, so found it a fun experience!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Mavic do some 15mm adapters with a very slim profile which just slip into the 15mm bore of the hub. I think Price point sell them.
    this one?

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/207...p=295%20MAVQ50

I wonder if it would work on the giant hub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubas View Post
    I followed mudmav's instructions and took some pictures at the same time.. I was a complete noob to tubeless, so found it a fun experience!
    Wow just wow
    That's a great post it makes me want to get those parts right now. I have ardent 2.25 coming, I may try that on those.
    Thanks again for posting the weights

what a joke
    Nice work! Where did you get the rim strips from?

Agree on the shocking weather, hopefully it dries out a little so we can ride this weekend.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I ended up getting them from Clarence St Cyclery in Sydney. You can't buy bontrager parts online in Australia as far as i'm aware The prices for the valves and strips $9 per valve, and $15 per strip (Aussie dollars that is.. about 1.06 AUD to the American peso )

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Has anyone tried using the Bontrager parts with the S-XC rims/stock Maxxis Crossmarks that come on the AX29er3? If so please chime in, I would like to convert mine, mostly to avoid thorn punctures but improved grip doesn't hurt either.

406892 Black 29er Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip-Symmetric
    250324 Tubeless Rim Valve

what a joke
    I ended up getting them from Clarence St Cyclery in Sydney. You can't buy bontrager parts online in Australia as far as i'm aware The prices for the valves and strips $9 per valve, and $15 per strip (Aussie dollars that is.. about 1.06 AUD to the American peso )
    Thanks mate, did they have them in stock or did you have to order them in? I will get my wife to pick some up next time she is in the city for a meeting.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Have been running for ages - works fine. Aired up with a compressor first go for three tyres (original 2 and a replacement) Just about to go back to the last fave tyre - Aspen - as the crossmarks have worn out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder View Post
    Thanks mate, did they have them in stock or did you have to order them in? I will get my wife to pick some up next time she is in the city for a meeting.
    Yep - in stock at the workshop (the bottom level). Probably not a bad idea to give them a call beforehand though.. it would be easy for them to check with the product numbers i imagine!

mtbr member
    Does anyone know of a shop in Brisbane that also stocks the rim strips?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Bontrager are distributed through Trek, so just track down a Trek store..

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The Bontrager Rythm strips are too wide for the SX-2 rim, so I went with Stan's yellow tape & valves. The rim channel must be slightly shallower. J

mtbr member

S-XC Panaracer Rampage ghetto conversion

Just finished the ghetto gorilla tape conversion of my Anthem 29er S-XC wheelset. Rampage 2.35 folding tire and Stan's sealant no additives, followed the jimcarrie youtube video and inflated using a compressor. With these tires there is no way you can use a floor pump and even with compressor lots of leakage until the stuff gets shaken around and fills gaps. Rode around the block and set for a couple of hours and still holding. Checked with soapy water and no leaks so far!

Tip - using the tape end stuck on table, stretch it good as you wrap the wheel for clean bond. The tighter the tape the better the bond with no wrinkles Used 2 cups on first wheel but with all the leakage I used 3 on the second for good measure and later puncture protection. could not hear any sealant on shaking after everything sealed with 2 cups. These tires oozed a lot before the bead sealed.
    Hopefully, a ride off road this evening or tomorrow will be the test. I am stoked!

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast