Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    hey, i started to do the gorrilla tape tubeless conversion on these wheelsand got the tape in all right, but i couldnt get the tire to seat in the rim. anyone have any luck with using the kenda's that come with these rims to go tubeless?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Does anyone know if the 27.5 inch S-XC2 is tubeless ready or how well it will work as tubeless with the Stan's conversion kit?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Does anyone know what the width of the P-XC2 rim is?

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Are the bearings for the 2013 Formula "Tracker" hubs sealed cartridge types?
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Re: The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    Does anyone know if the 27.5 inch S-XC2 is tubeless ready or how well it will work as tubeless with the Stan's conversion kit?
    They are tubeless ready and I believe they come with the stans strips but no valves. I've got a new take-off set coming on Monday 12x142 with 15mm in front. I'll be selling them right away cause I bought a different set. I'll be selling them for $180 + shipping.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Innota View Post
    Does anyone know what the width of the P-XC2 rim is?
    I believe they're 24mm external width.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I actually discovered that the rims say ETRTO 633x19. So 19mm inside then.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Innota View Post
    I actually discovered that the rims say ETRTO 633x19. So 19mm inside then.
    Yes, that's the internal width. They may actually be 26mm external width. The P-TXR series wheels have 21mm internal and 28mm external widths.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Has anyone tried installing better bearings on these hubs??? Such as enduro bearings?? Will they make a difference???

mtbr member
    May 2012

Changing out wheels today and notice a broke spoke on the rear wheel. I can only imagine how long I've been riding like this since the spoke broke by the hub. The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1398886438900.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm in the process of going tubeless on my Talon 27.5 with S-XC2 rims and Rapid Rob tires. I have completed the front and it seems to be holding pressure. There are a few things I learned and thought Id pass on.

I'm using Stan's with the "flow" rim strips. I had to add an extra layer of Velox rim tape. In seating the rim strip, I had to stretch it very little as it is already nearly the right length for my 27.5 rim. I had to use special care to make sure the rim strip seated all the way.

I used an air compressor and removed the valve core from the presta valve.

The biggest issue I had was sealing the tire in the area of the valve. I had to pull on the valve while putting air into it to get it to allow the tire bead to seat properly. When I do the rear tire, will probably not put an extra layer of Velox at the valve.

I am pleased to report that the Rapid Rob seemed to be pretty airtight on its own. It took very little to get the whole thing to seal and hold pressure. However, I will know more tomorrow when I check the pressure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Are the bearings for the 2013 Formula "Tracker" hubs sealed cartridge types?
    Yes, there are two sealed wheel bearings in the front and rear hubs. The bearings in the freehub however consist of two rows of loose bearings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just did Gorilla Tape Tubeless using Stans on my stock P-XC 29er with Nobby Nics that came on it. Used a roll of 1" tape doubled up around the rim. Inflated pretty easy using a compressor (the first one popped on first try anyway, back tire took me a good 20 minutes). Holding air for 24 hours now and several spins around the block. Will air down and try an easy trail later in the week, but I tried to roll the bead off while it was aired up and it seems to be pretty well locked in, we'll see though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Tried the same thing on my wifes Tempt 5 and while I think the rim will be fine, the cheap kenda on there would not seat. I gave up after an hour.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just spent a week trying to get my new p-cx2 wheels to work tubeless. I tried gorilla tape and various forms of valve and it always leaked at the valve. The crotch of the rim is too deep and nothing would get the valve to seat in the rim without leaking profusely. When I tried using a Stan's valve it kept leaking. I tightened it until it pulled all of the way through the rim.

Finally I succumbed to the split tube method and it worked great and is relatively easy. For my 29" wheels I used 24" tubes. I put the tubes on the rim, centered them and used scissors to split the tube all of the way around. Then I used five or six pieces of gorilla tape to tape the outer parts of the tube to the rim so that I could more easily get the tire in the middle of the splayed open tube. A compressor seated the tire within seconds with no effort on my part. There were no leaks anywhere. This would work without sealant but later I added Stan's.
    At first I resisted using this method because I didn't want the weight of the tube but the 24x1 1/8 tube is much lighter than the big thick mt biking tire and afterwords a lot of it is cut away.
    I hope this saves someone some time and grief.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dugt View Post
    I just spent a week trying to get my new p-cx2 wheels to work tubeless. I tried gorilla tape and various forms of valve and it always leaked at the valve. The crotch of the rim is too deep and nothing would get the valve to seat in the rim without leaking profusely. When I tried using a Stan's valve it kept leaking. I tightened it until it pulled all of the way through the rim.

Finally I succumbed to the split tube method and it worked great and is relatively easy. For my 29" wheels I used 24" tubes. I put the tubes on the rim, centered them and used scissors to split the tube all of the way around. Then I used five or six pieces of gorilla tape to tape the outer parts of the tube to the rim so that I could more easily get the tire in the middle of the splayed open tube. A compressor seated the tire within seconds with no effort on my part. There were no leaks anywhere. This would work without sealant but later I added Stan's.
    At first I resisted using this method because I didn't want the weight of the tube but the 24x1 1/8 tube is much lighter than the big thick mt biking tire and afterwords a lot of it is cut away.
    I hope this saves someone some time and grief.
    Bontrager rhythm rim strips are well worth the $15 or so to convert over to tubless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The front was easy, as I reported above. The rear did not want to seat. I finally got it seated and filled, but there seems to be a slow leak somewhere. It will just take some time to find.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack0207 View Post
    Bontrager rhythm rim strips are well worth the $15 or so to convert over to tubless.
    I found in another forum that the Bontrager parts work real well in P-xc2 rims.
    Here are the part numbers:
    406892 Black 29er Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip-Symmetric
    250324 Tubeless Rim Valve

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dugt View Post
    I found in another forum that the Bontrager parts work real well in P-xc2 rims.
    Here are the part numbers:
    406892 Black 29er Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip-Symmetric
    250324 Tubeless Rim Valve
    This will help

converting giant p-xc 2 29er wheels - Page 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Are the bearings of the hubs on the 27.5 P-XC2 wheels sealed?
    Or are they cup and cone bearings?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I will second or third the Bontrager rhythm rim strips. That is what I use in my P-XC wheels with Stan's valve.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hi everyone. Just got myself a second hand Giant XTC1 29er 2014 model and it comes with the P-XC2 wheels. I've read in this thread that their weight is around the 2000gr mark. However the posts related to those details are from 2011. Can someone tell me if Giant have improved on that weight on the 2014 models or does it still remain the same?
    I just wanted to know to see if it's worth my while getting lighter ones, depending on how much weight I will be shaving off.
    Thanks
    Mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

Mine were 2150g from a 2012 xtc. I don't believe they have changed. Get rid of them and go tubeless. Single best mod you could do to the bike based on weight saved, performance and cost.
    For value can't go past a set of stans crest / arch ex and you'll save between approx 400-600g of rotating mass

mtbr member
    May 2012
    A lot of people, including me, really like the carbon wheels from Light Bicycle in China. There is a long thread about them here: (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDontSurf View Post
    Mine were 2150g from a 2012 xtc. I don't believe they have changed. Get rid of them and go tubeless. Single best mod you could do to the bike based on weight saved, performance and cost.
    For value can't go past a set of stans crest / arch ex and you'll save between approx 400-600g of rotating mass
    Thanks. Not sure if they have changed from 2012 to 2014. I've found a pair of ZTR Crest with Novatec hubs weighing 1500g for a reasonable price I think I'll go for those.

Do you know if the XTC 1 rear axle is 135 x 9 or 135 x 10?

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast