Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Ok, so what exactly was the final answer for the weight on the S-XC2 29" wheels.

The only numer I see mentioned is "520g"

is that front? rear? sounds a little light..

what is the weight of the WHEELS.. I.E. front and rear, no cassette, no tires, no rotors..

for reference when considering an upgrade..

mtbr member
    Here is a great article about an upgrade wheelset on a XTC. Here are the proper weight mesurements.

Stock bike with Shimano clipless pedals and a water bottle cage – 27lbs/11oz
    Stock rear wheel with 2.0 Kenda Karma, 26” presta tube, 11-34 Deore level 9 speed cassette, 160mm Avid rotor, QR – 5lbs/11oz or 2580g
    Stock, bare rear wheel with no accessories – 1262g

26”x1.5-2.2 tube – 172g
    Rear Kenda Karma 2.0 – 554g
    Stock front wheel with 2.2 Kenda Karma, 26” tube, 160mm rotor – 4lbs/10oz or 2100g
    Front 2.2 Karma – 809g
    Stock front wheel, bare no accessories – 973g

Upgrade:

Haven rear wheel bare w/tubeless stem – 984g
    Rear Specialized Fastrak LK 2.0 – 566g
    2 scoops Stan’s sealant
    Complete Haven rear wheel with OE Giant accessories, Easton QR – 4lbs/15 oz or 2240g

Haven front wheel bare w/ tubeless stem – 807g
    Specialized 2.2 Purgatory S Works – 668g
    2 scoop Stan’s sealant
    Complete Haven front wheel with rotor, etc – 3lbs/10oz or 1644g

Weight saved on total front wheel – 1lb or 454g
    Weight saved on total rear wheel – 1lb/1oz or 482g
    New bike total weight – 25lbs 15oz
    Easton Haven 29"er Wheels On Test: Project XC

mtbr member
    Is the
    bike in the review a 2013? they dont say what year, does every XTC-1 come with the the S-XC2 wheels?
    Just wondering considering the review never mentions the year of the bike, and always refers to the stock wheels as "stock wheels"

mtbr member
    The article was writhen in November 2010 and the colour does match the 2010 xtc 1 model.

XtC 29er 1 (2010) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    "ultra-stiff P29 rim"

???????????

mtbr member
    My bad! There are multiple contradicting information in this thread in regards to weight so your best bet is to strip them down and do the work yourself. That is if your objective is replace to reduce to the least weight possible. I have a set of those rimes and I am upgrading soon to Arch EX but I am not sure I will take the time to strip the old rims to measure them since I already have them setup for commuting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Edit: Nevermind. I found my answer...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sb.Reno View Post
    I am getting my Anthem x1 29er later this week and want to set up tubeless immediately. Can you really only go with some stans/gorilla tape and a valve stem?
    Just converted mine with gorilla tape and valves last night. Used the racing Ralphs that came on the bike and 2 1/2 scoops of Stan's. was able to get the bead to seat with my floor pump.

mtbr member
    With a 2nd layer of Stan's yellow tape (25mm), I finally got non-tubeless tires aired up on my P-XC wheels (2011 AX29). I tried several times to no avail with the floppy, stock Crossmarks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    With a 2nd layer of Stan's yellow tape (25mm), I finally got non-tubeless tires aired up on my P-XC wheels (2011 AX29). I tried several times to no avail with the floppy, stock Crossmarks...
    My previous bike was 2011 anthem 29 and got most tires to work ghetto style on PX-C but the Crossmark was impossible. Interestingly, it aired up without issue on a Stan's arch rim using just a floor pump!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by ja001son View Post
    Is the
    bike in the review a 2013? they dont say what year, does every XTC-1 come with the the S-XC2 wheels?
    Just wondering considering the review never mentions the year of the bike, and always refers to the stock wheels as "stock wheels"

Quote Originally Posted by Putt4Dough View Post
    The article was written in November 2010 and the color does match the 2010 xtc 1 model.

XtC 29er 1 (2010) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States
    The bike in that article was indeed a 2010 XTC 1 with the P-XC rims. The original wheels were from what I would say was an early production run. The had the silver colored rims (and I think they were a darker color after that) with a Shimano FH-M525 rear hub and I believe a house brand front 15QR hub. I know that because I had to replace that freehub after about a month of riding it ;~)

It was an odd wheelset for an XTC 1, IMHO since the XTC 1 was an otherwise fairly XC race-worthy bike, and those stock rims were overkill. The Havens were much nicer, and even they were overkill for what the bike actually is. The wheelset was really the only thing on that bike that wasn't pure XC oriented. Even with the odd wheelset, it was riding that bike that convinced me to retire my 2005 Reign, and begin slurking down the big wheel kool-aid.

Regards,
    Jeff

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

Has anyone confirmed if the mavic 15-9mm plugs fit in the giant wheels?

These?

http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Mavi...-R-Adapter.axd
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Perfect fit on mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

Dido! Work greeeaat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    Throw on an extra layer of the tape and see what happens. I put two layers of Gorilla Tape on my P-XC2 wheels and the stock NNs aired up perfect.
    The 2 layers of 25mm wide Stan's tape did the trick for me in airing up a tubeless ready RoRo on the front and a RaRa in the rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you have giant tracker front hubs that are not DTswiss rebrand - they are fine, I have them and it works.
    If you have Dtswiss that has 15mm endcaps, and you fit 9mm endcaps in those 15mm endcaps, DT 15mm caps can break.

Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Has anyone confirmed if the mavic 15-9mm plugs fit in the giant wheels?

These?

Mavic 15mm to 9mm Q/R Adapter | Mavic | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey guys, so I have the S-XC 2s with Schwalbe Nobby Nic, 26x2.25 Performance. I'm constantly getting flats, be it pinched or otherwise. Just tired of dealing with tubes.

Can I convert this to tubeless? The Schwable site said the "Performance" one isn't a tubeless tire. If not, whats a decent tire you might suggest that would work well with this wheel?

Thanks, bit of a newb, been out of the game for a few years

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Schwalbe 'Performance' may work - expect some issues

Quote Originally Posted by beno0055 View Post
    Hey guys, so I have the S-XC 2s with Schwalbe Nobby Nic, 26x2.25 Performance. I'm constantly getting flats, be it pinched or otherwise. Just tired of dealing with tubes.

Can I convert this to tubeless? The Schwable site said the "Performance" one isn't a tubeless tire. If not, whats a decent tire you might suggest that would work well with this wheel?

Thanks, bit of a newb, been out of the game for a few years
    I recently bought a Giant XTC Composite 1 29er. It is stock with the exception of the tires (more on that later). The wheelset is Giant P-XC2.

I have successfully converted to tubeless - and I learned a great deal on the way to get there. Initially, I attempted to go tubeless with the stock 2.1" RacingRalphs Performance tires (non-tubeless), Gorilla Tape and Slime Pro Tire Sealant. I applied one layer of Gorilla Tape and used a heat gun to shrink the tape after applying. One layer of tape was not enough to get the tire bead to seat on the rim. I applied another layer of tape and the beads successfully seated with compressed air.

As an aside, the RacingRalphs were really easy to get on and off the rim. They were so loose that you could literally grab the un-inflated tire with one hand and pull it right off the rim.

Once inflated to 60psi, the tires had numerous pin-holes in the sidewalls which the sealant did successfully seal. After doing the pump-and-shake dance a few times, they started holding air overnight.

On the trail, they would slowly loose air at the rim. While they could be pumped up again on the trail, eventually I had to resort to re-installing tubes. I believe that part of the problem was that the lightweight casing and the 2.1" tire size was just not enough for my 195lb body. Anything less than 30psi and I could feel the tire warble over during turns. I think they would have worked better if I was 25lbs lighter.

I bought a set of 2.25" Maxxis Ardents with the EXO casing. They went on the rims without tools. I can set the bead with a floor pump. I have about 6 rides on them with absolutely no problems. Are they heavier? Yes. But, I could not be happier with their performance.

In conclusion:
    - Gorilla Tape: 2 Layers required, works just fine for $3
    - Slime Pro Sealant: Works just fine, smells great too
    - Racing Ralph Performance 2.1's: Will seal - did not work for me
    - Maxxis Ardents 2.25's: Works with no issues

So, can you go tubeless with the S-XC's and Nobby Nics? Maybe. I believe that rim is pinned and not welded. So, you may need to go full ghetto tubeless to make the rim airtight. The Nobby Nics will probably seal up, but the sidewalls may not be enough for tubeless. I think its worth attempting, though. Based upon my limited experience, I would have no reservations going with any of the Maxxis Exo Sidewall tubeless tires.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Does anyone know what internals are in the 2013 sxc-2 rear free hub? Was wanting to upgrade it and read somewhere in this thread that I might be able to do it with the DT Swiss kit? Or could it be a deore hub? Anyone have any insight?

Bike is a 2013 Trance X3
    SXC-2 Wheel set [F] Giant Tracker Sealed, [R] Formula Sealed Bearing, 32h

davidcarson48

Re: The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
    Does anyone know what internals are in the 2013 sxc-2 rear free hub? Was wanting to upgrade it and read somewhere in this thread that I might be able to do it with the DT Swiss kit? Or could it be a deore hub? Anyone have any insight?

Bike is a 2013 Trance X3
    SXC-2 Wheel set [F] Giant Tracker Sealed, [R] Formula Sealed Bearing, 32h
    You don't have DT internals in your hub. It's a generic Formula hub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Has anyone replaced the freehub on giant tracker pxc2 rear hub?

My freehub bearings are toast. I have a complete new spare hub. Is it possible to swap over all the internals of the hub without re lacing it to the spokes and rim? I was told that I could take out the internals and just swap them overdoes the freehub stay attached to the axle?

mtbr member

The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

I have two sets of s-xc wheels. Both converted to tubeless. I used a stans kits, and have RaRa and NoNi mounted. I used co2 to get hem mounted, but so far, yes they do lose pressure over time, but do not deflate completely, and always pressure up when I want to use them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi guys,

I have a 26" Gaint P-XC2 Wheelset which I would like to convert to tubeless.

I have become a bit confused with which rim strips & valves to use.
    Which are the best ones to use?

Also do you use UST tyres, UST compatible tyres or just regular tyres?

mtbr member
    You should just be able to get some Stan's yellow tape and tape those wheels up. As far as valves, you can cut the valves out of an old set of tubes, or you can buy Stan's valves or WTB valves. The tires I have mounted on my two sets of wheels tubeless are all regular tires, but that can be hit and miss. Tape the wheels up, and put the valve stems in, then try to mount your tires and get the beads to seat without any sealant. If they'll seat (doesn't matter if they hold air long term or not - without sealant, they won't) then add sealant, get it all where it needs to be, and you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    You should just be able to get some Stan's yellow tape and tape those wheels up. As far as valves, you can cut the valves out of an old set of tubes, or you can buy Stan's valves or WTB valves. The tires I have mounted on my two sets of wheels tubeless are all regular tires, but that can be hit and miss. Tape the wheels up, and put the valve stems in, then try to mount your tires and get the beads to seat without any sealant. If they'll seat (doesn't matter if they hold air long term or not - without sealant, they won't) then add sealant, get it all where it needs to be, and you should be fine.

Can I cut the valve out of a road tube or will it have to be a MTB one?

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast