mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Giant OverDrive Confusion on womens Anthem

My wife and I went to a Giant dealer today to look at an Anthem x 29er w4. I was talking to shop owner about the pains of the Overdrive headtube and he acted like I was crazy that I thought the steerer tube and stem was 1 1/4".

He ended up taking off the stem and spacers to flip them, and we measured and .....he was right! The stem on the 2013 Anthem women's is only 1 1/8"! So any stem and tapered fork will work. I was confused by Giant's marketing which says the Anthem womens models have the OverDrive headtube.

So...is there a differance between OverDrive and OverDrive 2? Is the actual OverDrive2 available only on some of the beefier models.

Last weird thing. The shop owner showed me an Overdrive stem they keep on hand for fitting and it actually has a shim to accept either 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" steer tubes.

So why does Giant make a big deal about OverDrive if that really means nothing?

We ended up buying a 3 month old Anthem x 29er w4, that I probably wouldn't have purchased if it had 1 1/4" headtube. I want to get that Recon silver off there ASAP and that would have been very expensive or next to impossible with 1 1/4".

Anyone have any insights?

Your Best Friend
    You're pretty wrapped around the axle over something you don't understand.

Overdrive is Giants marketing name for a tapered head tube. Just like any other modern manufacturer, it is 1 1/8 to 1 1/2.

Overdrive 2 is EXACTLY the same measurements as the Overdrive head tube. The only difference is that Giant uses a narrower bearing in the upper head set of Overdrive 2 so that they can use a larger steerer tube on the fork. This increase stiffness. It is also an "old" standard and isn't that rare. You may be surprised in the future to find it on more bikes. Either way, the only thing you need to do to change between Overdrive 2 and Overdrive is to get a new headset. Piece of cake.

Oh and yes, Overdrive 2 is only used on the high end bikes or bikes needing a stronger/stiffer steerer.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    You're pretty wrapped around the axle over something you don't understand.

Overdrive is Giants marketing name for a tapered head tube. Just like any other modern manufacturer, it is 1 1/8 to 1 1/2.

Overdrive 2 is EXACTLY the same measurements as the Overdrive head tube. The only difference is that Giant uses a narrower bearing in the upper head set of Overdrive 2 so that they can use a larger steerer tube on the fork. This increase stiffness. It is also an "old" standard and isn't that rare. You may be surprised in the future to find it on more bikes. Either way, the only thing you need to do to change between Overdrive 2 and Overdrive is to get a new headset. Piece of cake.

Oh and yes, Overdrive 2 is only used on the high end bikes or bikes needing a stronger/stiffer steerer.
    Thats good information. Thanks. I had deduced the Overdrive part, but I did not know that the bearing was the only differance. Do you know if cane creek or anyone else is making an aftermarket bearing to run Overdrive2 steerers on other bikes. (For example I have a Tallboy I am building and there was good deal on a Overdrive 2 take-off that I was interested, but passed on.

Your Best Friend

Re: Giant OverDrive Confusion on womens Anthem

I don't know who sells them. I could do some research and let you know.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides