mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Giant OEM Parts VS. Upgrades ( Where to buy and how to determine what is Compatible?

Hello,

I am a noob so sorry for basic question.

First, I believe I have just purchased a 2013 Revel 3 Mountain bike from Louis & Clark. ( the Blue/White/Black)

These are the first basic things I am trying to figure out:

1) Find a PDF doc or something that explains and tells me the name of every part on the bike.

2) I am trying to find a site to get GIANT OEM Parts, or a dealer parts book with part numbers or something.

3) I am trying to know how to figure out what parts, brand, manufacter, make, model parts I have on my bike without going back to the bike shop every day. I realize they want to service the bike and probably dont really want to give me information.

4) A good list of tools every DIY MNTN should have.

Currently I have a question about about the name of the part that goes through the hole in the frame between the forks and the handlebars, where the stem mounts.
    Is this actually part of the forks or is the tube replaceable because my bike handlebars have already been raised as high as I can get them and I want to ride about 1 1/2 inches higher as I am mostly doing street riding and want a more commuter or less agressive possition on the handle bars , and also I have a old hand injury and the stress on my hand I am trying to decrease.

Am I confused? Do I need to just get a different stem and not get a tube that is longer?

Thank You,

Wayne

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Giant OEM Parts VS. Upgrades ( Where to buy and how to determine what is Compat

Yea dude that tube through the front of the frame (head tube) is called a steer tube. It is a part of the fork and once cut, can't be extended. Your best bet is to get a high rise stem. Keep geometries in mind when you're searching though as longer or shorter stems all feel different with different angles. Search "stem comparison tool" on google and type in some numbers to see how it relates. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Park Tools website is a good resource for basic DIY bike maintenance and tool part #s needed for each repair. It has a diagram that could help you with question #1.

Not sure of a place you can get a parts catalog for the components for your bike other than a google search. It's basically just knowing the diameters and mounting options for each part. A cheap set of calipers can help you find the inner diameter and outer diameter of the different interfaces between components and your frame.

The part you are describing on your fork is the steerer or steer tube (same part, different versions of the name). By and large, they are not replaceable unless you send them back to the manufacturer and shell out some serious $$. The cheaper option would be to buy a stem or handlebars with more rise (makes them taller)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Yea dude that tube through the front of the frame (head tube) is called a steer tube. It is a part of the fork and once cut, can't be extended. Your best bet is to get a high rise stem. Keep geometries in mind when you're searching though as longer or shorter stems all feel different with different angles. Search "stem comparison tool" on google and type in some numbers to see how it relates. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome! Thank you that is what I needed to know.