mtbr member

Giant OD2 stem dilemma, need advice

There were a couple threads on here that discuss the 1-1/4" OD2 stem and steerer tubes but I still can't find a solution...

I'm simply trying to go down in stem length size. I'm going wider and wider in handlebar width and so I'm going down in stem length size as well. I have a Anthem X 29er that came with the standard 100mm length stem. I then bought a Giant contact OD2 stem in 70mm length and coupled it with some 720mm handlebars and loved it, except for the fact that those stems are $90! I've been getting into some Super D races lately and want to try even wider bars say 780mm.

My dilemma lies in the fact that the Giant contact stems that are OD2 only go down to 70mm length and I desperately want to try a 40 or 50mm length stem to couple with some 780mm handlebars. There's a plethora of stem options out there but very few are that new Giant 1-1/4" and the one's that are only are available in 80mm length and above... I'm trying to go shorter.

Is it possible to just get a 1-1/2" (1.5") stem and shim it? Does anyone make any steerer shims for this. I've seen some shim options to go from 1.5" to 1.125 (1-1/8") but none for 1-1/4" This is getting very frustrating

My buddy just got a brand new Trance X 29er 0 and wants to do the same. Going down to a 70mm giant stem for $90 seems ridiculous

My dogs are barkin
    Apr 2008
    Giant does make their All Mountain stem in OD2 and that goes as short as 50mm (Contact AM OD2 Stems (Stems) - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | United States). Definitely a bit more "burly" but OD2 AND 50mm...

Good luck!
    I know just enough to be dangerous
    --Me

SoCAL
    06/17/2009

mtbr member
    Ritchey also makes 1.25" stems but I'm not sure how short they go.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    In a different but related question, is this what I need to go from the OD2 to standard 1 1/2 - 1 1/8 taper?
    Problem Solvers Headtube Reducer > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    So, I'm guessing this part slides around the steerer and then fits into the 1.25 bearing. I am looking at that correctly?

I sent my RS SID in for service and they replaced the whole top half (steerer, crown, sliders) but they didn't have an OD2 steerer, so I need to convert to a standard taper.

lurking no more
    Quote Originally Posted by bikensand View Post
    In a different but related question, is this what I need to go from the OD2 to standard 1 1/2 - 1 1/8 taper?
    Problem Solvers Headtube Reducer > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    So, I'm guessing this part slides around the steerer and then fits into the 1.25 bearing. I am looking at that correctly?

I sent my RS SID in for service and they replaced the whole top half (steerer, crown, sliders) but they didn't have an OD2 steerer, so I need to convert to a standard taper.
    You need standard inset top bearing/top cap Cane Creek 40 1 1/8" ZS Upper Headset > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop or similar, Headset Type Internal, 44.0mm OD cup, 1-1/8" (Zero Stack)
    Last edited by nocnypatrol.org; 01-15-2013 at 12:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nocnypatrol.org View Post
    You need standard inset top bearing/top cap Cane Creek 40 1 1/8" ZS Upper Headset > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop or similar, Headset Type Internal, 44.0mm OD cup, 1-1/8" (Zero Stack)
    Thanks for the reply. Is there a reason the reducer alone will not work? If there reducer will not work, what would that part be used for?