mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Giant NRS rebuild - source for bearings or new triangle?

Hey --
    I am working on fixing the slop in the rear triangle of my '03 NRS... mainly need to replace the bearings on the rear link near the dropouts and the larger bearing pivots. I have found plenty of excellent tips on here about how to remove and press in the bearings. Sorry if this has been covered somewhere already, but I am wondering if anyone can point me to a source for a bushing and bearing replacement kit or even a complete rear triangle for an '03 NRS?
    I went to these guys as suggested here on MTBR...
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id6.html
    ...and found a bearing kit for the '04 NRS. I have an email in to them about compatibility with the '03 and am waiting for a response.
    Any other suggestions for bushing/bearing sources?
    Or even the whole triangle?

THANKS!
    Eric

Stu
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I used the bearing kit from BETD, much better than the Giant parts
    http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co...t+Bearing+kits

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hopefully Enduro will get back to you soon, they are pretty good about responding to questions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the tip on BETD. The quality of their stuff does much better than the OEM. Especially the horst link replacement they offer. The only downside is the cost... pretty pricey. I also have an email in to a Canadian company that offers replacement bearings... perhaps there is a less expensive option out there, otherwise I will go with BETD. If I do that, the next question is whether to do one or all of the pivots...they offer just the Horst link bushing kit replacement for $45 or all the pivots for $80... the Horst link is where there is a lot of play, while the other links feel solid. Save some money or pay more and just do them all at once?

Stu
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I got the main bearings from Endurofork seals and the pivot kit from BETD, pivot kit is pricey but very well made

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I, too, recently did a rebuild. I ordered my bearings off vxb.com for my linkage plate, it was like $25 for the 4 bearings. They're all double sealed and packed tight with grease. The nylon washers with the 'flanged' side can be found in the hardware isle at lowes, but you may need to file and sand them down to the right size. I also had to make the 2mm spacers, using a 1in stainless spacer, I cut off and filed 2mm spacers from that. The numbers on the side tell you what kind of bearing it is, the sizes are pretty common and could probably be found at a local bearing warehouse. I'm on my phone right now, but I'll go get the part numbers and assembly instructions and make another post.

Edit: The large bearing on the chainstay is 6000 2RS, the small bearing connecting the linkage plate to the seatstay in 688 2RS, and the medium sized bearing is 6900 2RS. You may want to make sure the bushings aren't worn, if there is play in the swingarm, this is more likely the cause than bearings. The suspension will wear down the bushings into an oval and give it play.
    The bearings I removed were Enduros, but they were single rubber sealed, except for the large one on the chanstay. That is probably the main reason I ordered from VXB, they were double rubber sealed. They also have 10-packs for cheap, so I wanted to test out some singles before I took the dive for a lifetime supply. Your LBS can order a suspension assembly kit for $100 from Giant. At first the number may shock you, but if you need the bushings or just want an extra set handy, this is a good deal. I suggest getting an extra set if you plan on keeping the bike a while, it seems like they get more scarce every day.
    After taking apart my suspension and pulling out my bearings, I realized they were probably good to go for a good long while. I read that even though it may be rough spinning the bearing freely, when it is in the linkage plate it never makes a full rotation, It creates a groove for only the amount of travel that it actually has to spin. I never had the chance to ride the frame before I took it apart, so I don't know if I really made that big of a difference changing the bearings (I did however fix their poorly reassembled suspension).

Assembly Instructions
    Torque Values
    Last edited by HardcoreEricXXX; 04-22-2009 at 06:46 AM.

dirtbag
    Good info in this thread. I might have to replace my bearings on my NRS at the end of this season.
    Amolan

Mug Punter
    Jun 2008
    Most of the Giant pivot bearings should be available independantly (from a bearing / fastener place or similar), as far as I know there are no Giant specific parts in there.

OEM kits are available for most models, at least here in Oz. Some kits are getting phased out, and some are available in full kits only (inlcuding linkage) - $$$

There is a difference between the 03 and previous models, and 04 and beyond as well.

mtbr member

bump***

bump***

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

NRS Bearings

Eric,

I have a 2003 NRS XTC, but I think the bearing are all the same. The key bearing to change out is the one closest to the bottom bracket. These were the only bearings in the assembly that were frozen. You can get a replacment set for a few bucks.

http://www.mtb-bearings.com/products.htm

They were very cheap.

For the back of the rear triangle, I modified a 88 cent nylon washer from Home Depot and wedged it in there. In my experiance this rear most linkage is the reason for the some what sloppy rear triangle.

If you don't mind forking over $120.00 any Giant Dealer can order you a full set of bearings and washers from the factory.

As old as these bikes are, I like the under $5.00 fix!

Enjoy

Dave

Hey guys

Im getting ready to sell two NRS frames. One is a 99 (yellow and black size 17) and the other is a 2004 Blue and white size 21.5 or XL. The newer one has had bearings replace but not bushings, and the SID is still working great. The SID on the yellow/blk one is not so great.
    I need to ride more and work less.