n4r
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Giant NRS 1 vs NRS 2 or XTC 1 vs XTC 2 ?

Is the composite ride and experience worth the extra expense? I like light bikes but wonder about durability and maintenance also. If I purchase a used bike, are there certain years which are particularly good or best to avoid? I am also not sure if I need a full suspension, because I mainly use it on compacted carriage trails that are not too rough, for my workouts,; although full suspension might open up more trails for me. I have no suspension now and am knocked around too much. I also figure that with a bike as light as the NRS 1 is then I might as well go for the full suspension. Are the lower level NRS bikes noticeably heavier and how do they feel?

mtbr member

NRS Composite is worth the $$$

Quote Originally Posted by n4r
    Is the composite ride and experience worth the extra expense? I like light bikes but wonder about durability and maintenance also. If I purchase a used bike, are there certain years which are particularly good or best to avoid? I am also not sure if I need a full suspension, because I mainly use it on compacted carriage trails that are not too rough, for my workouts,; although full suspension might open up more trails for me. I have no suspension now and am knocked around too much. I also figure that with a bike as light as the NRS 1 is then I might as well go for the full suspension. Are the lower level NRS bikes noticeably heavier and how do they feel?

I just made the switch this year to FS and picked up an NRS C2. I was riding an XtC2 which I must say I was very pleased with. For me, the biggest difference is the FS takes the edge off. Really that's about it. The NRS design is a very tight race oriented set up as far as full suspension goes. It is great for bob reduction on climbs and still very tight and fast in the flats and down hills. The weights of these two bikes does not differ greatly I have made a couple of minor mods (Hayes Mag Plus brakes, Frog Speedplay pedals) and got almost a pound out of. Stock, the bike is 27.2 lbs according to my scale. My XtC was about a pound lighter than that.

As far as NRS models, the NRS based model will certainly be heavier than the Carbon, but not significantly. The components are the difference here. How much quality do you with your brakes, derailleurs, front suspension etc...That's where the extra money is, and if you want to increase your riding experience and are planning on extending yourself a little bit, spend the extra now rather than later. However, if you are not planning on any racing or serious riding, the base NRS may be for you.

N.

n4r
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

... and if we just ... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    I just made the switch this year to FS and picked up an NRS C2. I was riding an XtC2 which I must say I was very pleased with. For me, the biggest difference is the FS takes the edge off. Really that's about it. The NRS design is a very tight race oriented set up as far as full suspension goes. It is great for bob reduction on climbs and still very tight and fast in the flats and down hills. The weights of these two bikes does not differ greatly I have made a couple of minor mods (Hayes Mag Plus brakes, Frog Speedplay pedals) and got almost a pound out of. Stock, the bike is 27.2 lbs according to my scale. My XtC was about a pound lighter than that.

As far as NRS models, the NRS based model will certainly be heavier than the Carbon, but not significantly. The components are the difference here. How much quality do you with your brakes, derailleurs, front suspension etc...That's where the extra money is, and if you want to increase your riding experience and are planning on extending yourself a little bit, spend the extra now rather than later. However, if you are not planning on any racing or serious riding, the base NRS may be for you.

N.
    You sound right on and seem to be the perfect person; having both those bikes. THANKS! M